Question for those who have used CVS for testing?

maggieq

One of my concerns about testing is reading on some of the posts here on Cruise Critic that several people had CVS cancel their testing appointment at the last minute.  These happened to be places where Covid was spiking like crazy, but I am really concerned it could happen to us.  There are almost no places other than CVS near me that will do tests without symptoms!

5 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

It's my understanding that the rapid results PCR tests are NOT accepted by Celebrity.  Only the regular PCR tests or the Rapid Antigen tests.  

For all cruises leaving from the US the rapid antigen test is absolutely accepted. There is not a rapid PCR test.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Results in an hour we are negative 

@terrydtx: congratulations!  In light of the problem referred to above, can you specify which test it was?  And did the CVS result use the letters "PCR" (if it was a PCR test)?

I just went through a mock booking with CVS for a PCR test.  What I found is that if you check all boxes "no" on the CVS site, you will be told that you do not qualify for a free test.  If I checked either of the two boxes below "Yes," I would be told that I qualify for a free test.  For anyone planning to cruise, I would think that the first box is a yes, and for many the second box will be as well.

I suppose it is possible that this will vary based on state rules, but I don't really think so, since it is a Federal requirement that insurance covers Covid tests.  But I wonder if the person who was told that he/she had to pay if the test was being done for "travel" might have inadvertently put himself in the situation, as the clerk saw it, where there was no good reason to take the test, therefore triggering the response that you have to pay?  Whereas if the same thought was expressed in terms of preventing future spread, the result might have been different?

Tom & Judy

image.thumb.png.8a6acf394b4774b1d0601a838c0145a0.png

• Like 1

There definitely is a rapid PCR test and all major airports have this available if you reserve a time.   Our insurance will not cover a rapid COVID test because we want to travel or attend a large social gathering as both are strongly discouraged.   We paid our fee and thought it was fair as it was our choice to travel.

I think the "according to CDC guidelines" might be the stickler.    I don't believe CDC is currently recommending testing for vaccinated people prior to travel even internationally.

I'm attending my mothers 90th birthday party indoors with a fairly large group a few days before I need to be tested so I just checked the second box.

59 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

For all cruises leaving from the US the rapid antigen test is absolutely accepted. There is not a rapid PCR test.

I think someone forgot to tell the testing sites. From the FLL airport website Q&A on the testing site located there:

Q: What are the prices for each test?
A: $159 for a Rapid PCR; $99 for a PCR test; and $59 for a rapid Antigen test (tax included)

From the Fast Test Now list of tests and prices:

RT-PCR Test Urgent Results in 30 Minutes

$349.00

~ International Travel Approved
~ Includes QR code

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I think someone forgot to tell the testing sites. From the FLL airport website Q&A on the testing site located there:

Q: What are the prices for each test?
A: $159 for a Rapid PCR; $99 for a PCR test; and $59 for a rapid Antigen test (tax included)

From the Fast Test Now list of tests and prices:

RT-PCR Test Urgent Results in 30 Minutes

$349.00

~ International Travel Approved
~ Includes QR code

Perhaps not different tests but accelerated results?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TFree said:

In light of the problem referred to above, can you specify which test it was?  And did the CVS result use the letters "PCR" (if it was a PCR test)?

What I got was the rapid antigen test which contrary to reports is accepted by Celebrity for all US departures. So to answer it does not say PCR. I also checked the box yes for the test is for travel. It was covered 100% by my Medicare insurance.

This what the test says online about the test:

LumiraDX SARS-COV-2 Rapid Result Antigen Test

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

There definitely is a rapid PCR test and all major airports have this available if you reserve a time.   Our insurance will not cover a rapid COVID test because we want to travel or attend a large social gathering as both are strongly discouraged.   We paid our fee and thought it was fair as it was our choice to travel.

yes, there is such a test.  Unfortunately, unless something has changed in the last day or two, Celebrity will not accept it.  That is the issue.  They do accept a standard PCR test.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

What I got was the rapid antigen test which contrary to reports is accepted by Celebrity for all US departures. So to answer it does not say PCR. I also checked the box yes for the test is for travel. It was covered 100% by my Medicare insurance.

This what the test says online about the test:

LumiraDX SARS-COV-2 Rapid Result Antigen Test

I don't recall anyone saying the rapid antigen test isn't accepted, unless I missed something.  it is the rapid PCR test which is not accepted.  The standard PCR test is accepted, as well as the rapid antigen test.  All three are accepted by the CDC, but not by Celebrity.

Just now, phoenix_dream said:

I don't recall anyone saying the rapid antigen test isn't accepted, unless I missed something.  it is the rapid PCR test which is not accepted.  The standard PCR test is accepted, as well as the rapid antigen test.  All three are accepted by the CDC, but not by Celebrity.

Where does Celebrity say the Rapid PCR test is not accepted? 

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

Honestly, I don't know and don't care to research it now.  However, I have read on multiple postings on these boards that it is not accepted.  If you decide I am wrong that's fine (I'd be happy to be wrong - would make my life easier), but I would make triple sure about it before you try to board as many posters who know way more about Covid testing than I do have indicated it is not accepted.

9 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

This afternoon CVS cancelled my appointment for tomorrow afternoon.  I made the appointment two weeks ago, but they waited until now to cancel it.

Can't say i'm super happy with CVS right now.

How can they do that? What reason did they give?

1 hour ago, karl_nj said:

This afternoon CVS cancelled my appointment for tomorrow afternoon.  I made the appointment two weeks ago, but they waited until now to cancel it.

In our area (Florida), they open up lots of appointments the night before or very early am for that day’s testing.   We had made appointments two weeks out, but with only very limited availability, at a location quite a drive away.  This morning we were able to schedule tests at just about anytime today at our local CVS.  Completed the antigen test, covered by insurance pretty easily.  

Check the box that says meeting needs for travel (per CDC guidelines). 

1 hour ago, floridafolks said:

How can they do that? What reason did they give?

MinuteClinic: We're sorry. Your visit to XXXXX... on 08/25/20 at 05:00 PM has been canceled due to a temporary closure. Reschedule at …

12 minutes ago, radarcruiser said:

In our area (Florida), they open up lots of appointments the night before or very early am for that day’s testing.   We had made appointments two weeks out, but with only very limited availability, at a location quite a drive away.  This morning we were able to schedule tests at just about anytime today at our local CVS.  Completed the antigen test, covered by insurance pretty easily.  

Check the box that says meeting needs for travel (per CDC guidelines). 

I guess I’ll check again in the morning, but I’m not holding my breath. Thanks for the suggestion though. 

10 hours ago, terrydtx said:

They said they are experiencing delays in getting PCR tests back from the regional testing labs due to the surge in testing because of the Delta variant. In some cases the results are running past 3 days. If any of you are getting only the PCR tests you need to confirm with your provider that they will have the results back to you before we board on Friday.

This is exactly what I am worried about. We don't sail until the 17th (yes I know the current message is for sailings up to the 6th but I strongly doubt this requirement will go away) and we will have no control over how long our results will take. I would like to have the results before we fly out to avoid being stuck in Seattle and wasting our money on plane tickets for a cruise we couldn't take. 

I'm starting to wonder if we should just pay the $250 pp for the test at our airport, which we would have to do the day before we fly because we have an early flight before the testing area is open. 

2 hours ago, karl_nj said:

OMG, I am so sorry. I would be freaking out! I sure hope you can find a place to get tested tomorrow. Not sure about where you live but in my state they are having pop up testing sites all over the city and my daughter needed to be tested and she was able to get an appointment within an hour and it was a rapid test and got her results before she even made it back home. 

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

They don't. The most current FAQs on the Celebrity, which is now less complete than it was days ago, states:

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests and we accept either one: 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test
  • The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth representative.
  • You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes provider name, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Handwritten doctor’s notes will not be accepted.
  • Telehealth testing at home is only accepted when it meets certain guidelines. See below.

Tests We Do Not Accept

• Antibody tests are not accepted, as they do not detect a current infection.
  • Home test kits that are self-administered at home, and not supervised live by a telehealth professional, are also not accepted.

A few days ago, this paragraph included a link to all tests with an EUA from the FDA (not the CDC, BTW). The only test that had been questionable had been a Abbott's rapid IDNow, which isn't a PCR but is a NAAT (molecular test), and is listed on the FDA's EUA page. There are also rapid PCR tests on the FDA's list.

And I understand what phoenix_dream is saying because until the latest update, Celebrity was incredibly unclear on whether they would accept that specific test, and I was one of the voices of caution. But their latest update would include it, and it's not on the list of "tests we don't accept". And I don't believe the IDNow is a CVS option; it is a Walgreen's option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

Were you relying on an email from CVS or did you log into their site and print the results document?  This is what folks have been saying they had to do - of course that may be a recent development.  I had to do that for a golf tournament back in October.  Eurofin did the testing and the results doc was very detailed.

Both. We had to create a CVS MyChart account in order to print the full report, in addition to the email stating we were negative. Unfortunately, neither referenced "PCR" anywhere, only "NAAT", but we didn't realize that until they pointed it out at the port. Going that will change going forward. 

8 hours ago, markeb said:

They don't. The most current FAQs on the Celebrity, which is now less complete than it was days ago, states:

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests and we accept either one: 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test
  • The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth representative.
  • You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes provider name, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Handwritten doctor’s notes will not be accepted.
  • Telehealth testing at home is only accepted when it meets certain guidelines. See below.

Tests We Do Not Accept

• Antibody tests are not accepted, as they do not detect a current infection.
  • Home test kits that are self-administered at home, and not supervised live by a telehealth professional, are also not accepted.

A few days ago, this paragraph included a link to all tests with an EUA from the FDA (not the CDC, BTW). The only test that had been questionable had been a Abbott's rapid IDNow, which isn't a PCR but is a NAAT (molecular test), and is listed on the FDA's EUA page. There are also rapid PCR tests on the FDA's list.

And I understand what phoenix_dream is saying because until the latest update, Celebrity was incredibly unclear on whether they would accept that specific test, and I was one of the voices of caution. But their latest update would include it, and it's not on the list of "tests we don't accept". And I don't believe the IDNow is a CVS option; it is a Walgreen's option.

Thank you. I tried to point this out at the port, as our results referenced NAAT, but they would not budge. In the end it was simple enough to just get the antigen test at the port, and took no more than 10 minutes, but was frustrating. Was going to help Indian others so they can be prepared. 

On 8/23/2021 at 8:48 PM, Seany527 said:

That’s what I thought as well but post #5 says they had to pay. Ughhhhh

Anyone have experience using CVS and indicating your test was for travel?  I’ve taken countless tests through CVS and up until a few weeks ago there was no option to indicate travel. 
Im sailing 9/4 and have already booked my

test...now I’m regretting being honest and saying it was for travel. 

????

In health and bon voyage

15 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

One of my concerns about testing is reading on some of the posts here on Cruise Critic that several people had CVS cancel their testing appointment at the last minute.  These happened to be places where Covid was spiking like crazy, but I am really concerned it could happen to us.  There are almost no places other than CVS near me that will do tests without symptoms!

Check the Celebrity guidance again, but I think the most recent and most detailed guidance that I saw allowed for telehealth observed testing. I think that is an option from maybe Amazon and some other online providers? Just the mail it back option won’t suffice, I think you have to have the telehealth. Other consideration is turnaround time, but the results are likely emailed back, so not as long as you might think.

• Thanks 1