The Daily for Wednesday August 25, 2021

richwmn

48 minutes ago, kazu said:

Agree.  Not a surprise but I am not thrilled that unless HAL adds cruises, our cruise on the Volendam will be the first back in action.  I never go on inaugural cruises, nor pre or post dry dock cruises.  But, this itinerary is the only one next year so we will hang in and hope 🤞 

Looks like I have a bunch of work to do on the FCL from some of the posts on the boards 😔 

Looking in here after lunch -- like others, couldn't log in this morning.

But so much news today!   Jacqui, isn't there a Volendam Baltic run before ours heads up to Norway?  

I'm hoping so.

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I can't blame you for not wanting to be the first cruise back on the Volendam.  Too many kinks to work out.  Good luck with that!

Plus I'm your first "customer" on the FCL thread!  😛

I am delighted to say I was in error 👍. The first cruise according to HAL is May 1st so we will be the 2nd one.  that’s a relief 😉 

Funny thing is HAL was adamant that we transfer to the Volendam spring TA which we fought (and won) and now that’s cancelled.  Wonder where they are putting those people?  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, dfish said:

I'm so excited for you!    About how long before your cruise did you get that upsell offer?

I got the first upsell from our Verandah to Signature Suite on the 11th and jumped on that, then from the Signature Suite to the Neptune Suite on the 18th and of course really jumped quickly on that one.  Seems Wednesdays are their upsell offer days, at least in my case.  If you get one make sure to have everything ready, they don't chit chat like your TA does.  😉 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, dfish said:

My PCC tried to tell me that they weren't doing upsells.  Glad I asked and didn't just take that answer.  I don't know if I'd take it, depends on the price, but it would be nice to know about it.

Too funny, my PCC told me to be on the look out for an upsell.  She knew I wanted a Suite.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Ahh, poor fur baby 😢 

I can’t fool Marley (my Bernese) either.  But pill pockets have really worked well for him in case it is of help for you with Fritz.  Beats shoving them down his throat and making sure he swallows.

Some how our Eskipoo, Max, can eat the pill pocket & leave the pill --- he gets his Zonisamide (for seizures) shoved down his throat followed by 2 MilkBone mini treats.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Some how our Eskipoo, Max, can eat the pill pocket & leave the pill --- he gets his Zonisamide (for seizures) shoved down his throat followed by 2 MilkBone mini treats.

OMG - poor you.  Marley would hide his in his cheek when I used cheese and other stuff and then spit it out 15 minutes later.  The pill pockets have worked so far - but it sounds like they may not forever.  

I have no idea how the pill can stay there and not dissolve.  My white mountain dog did the same thing.  But, so far so good with the pill pockets.  Thankfully Marley isn’t on daily meds (yet) so it’s usually a short term thing.

Good for you on getting them down 👍 

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Looking in here after lunch -- like others, couldn't log in this morning.

But so much news today!   Jacqui, isn't there a Volendam Baltic run before ours heads up to Norway?  

I'm hoping so.

Yes, there is.  👍 

Sorry, I think we were posting at the same time so I didn’t see yours until now.  We’ll be the 2nd sailing.  Whew 😮💨 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Welcome to the Daily!  

I've always thought it would be such an interesting career!  -- what did you do with the Park Service?

Thank you for the welcome @Cruising-along!  I have always read these dailies, never posted, but now it is nice to read everything, for it seems like a "family posting Thread!"

My first park was Yellowstone, then moved east to be closer to family again.  I ended up retiring from George Washington Birthplace National Monument, Virginia - I was the one behind a desk making sure the Rangers and other employees got paid, got their supplies and a budget!  (Boring sometimes, but fun as well!)  Met many wonderful people.  Thanks for asking!

Mimi

• Like 16

My Crystal meal suggestions will come from 2 recent cruises.  Most of August will be from my 2018 Grand Alaska and Panama Journey ending August 30 in New York.  For most of those (but not today) I have my usual photo collages.  September will be from the 2016 Northwest Passage cruise.  I had not started the regular photos then but have a number of impromptu photos to be posted.

There seemed to be an interest in the actual menus as well as my choices and I will post those most every day.  Since 2014 Crystal has had sort of a 2 menu system.  There's a page of "Modern Cuisine" and a second page "Crystal Classics" which is more traditional fare.  I typically order from the Classic fare rather than the more exotic "Modern Selections".  Sometimes I will also have a separate "Vegetarian" page and a desert page.

Here's the August 25 menu (2018):

https://morethangetaways.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/dnner0125.pdf

My alternative selection for today is Chicken broth with Matzo & Chives, Rotelle(half portion) Artichoke, Black Olives & Mozzarella, &Butter Pecan Ice Cream as served on Crystal Symphony August 25, 2018, after a visit to Bimini.

Roy

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CM1984 said:

Hooray, NATIONAL PARK SERVICE Founders Day - Thank you for sharing!  I retired from the Park Service and always felt blessed to work in a variety of parks.  🐻  And many parks have free admission today.....

I might have to stir up a small disagreement with the hubby, since it is K&MUD!  😍

Welcome to the Daily.  I thing you will find this the friendliest and most supportive place on CC.

Lenda

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Welcome to the Daily.  I thing you will find this the friendliest and most supportive place on CC.

Lenda

Lenda, remember yesterday you asked if my keyboard only went wonky on CC?  Nope, it is happening all over!  I just sent an email to a neighborhood acquaintance and didn't even get to put my name at the end because suddenly it just "sent" itself.  Sounds like a laptop problem, darn it!  Does anyone know what I might do to fix this issue?  Besides a new laptop I mean!😀

• Like 4

A late good afternoon after a busy day.  It looks like the Daily has been busy too.

@smitty34877  I can understand how hard it must be for Tana to accept help, as I am one who would rather do things myself if possible.  She is fortunate that your family is able and most importantly, willing to help in any way possible.  

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, thank you for the update about Brenda and Paul.  I was glad to read that she is feeling better.  Hopefully, time will ease the pain of losing Copoeland and her brother.  It was good to read that Paul has been a big help too.

@mamaofami  Carol, you are having a busy week.  Hope next week is easier and that you find someone who is vaccinated to fill in for your aide.  

@durangoscots  Add me to the list of those who are glad they caught the melanoma early and that it is shallow.  You are lucky the doctor had an opening for next week, so you can get it removed and behind your.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Lenda, remember yesterday you asked if my keyboard only went wonky on CC?  Nope, it is happening all over!  I just sent an email to a neighborhood acquaintance and didn't even get to put my name at the end because suddenly it just "sent" itself.  Sounds like a laptop problem, darn it!  Does anyone know what I might do to fix this issue?  Besides a new laptop I mean!😀

Sorry that it wasn't just a CC problem.  I am not an expert on computers as that is DH's area.  I have one suggeston as a start, but offer no guarantees.  You might try clearing the browsning history and even go farther and clear the cache and cookies.  If yo have virus proctecion on the computer, try running a scan for a virus.

If those don't work, I'm out of ideas.

Lenda

• Like 7

3 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Fritz is 15. He is showing his age-graying, arthritis and his tooth troubles. The seizures were quite frightening (dachshunds are prone to them), but since he’s been on phenobarbital he has had none. He has his own account at Walgreens 😂. The problem is phenobarbital is a controlled substance so we must always have a written script to get them.

B65DF6E3-9031-4EB7-8E26-2D8F8805E97C.jpeg

C13DF600-042C-45E5-A0DD-F038772FCDF8.jpeg

FD972994-0122-4028-8933-94B545C66CCD.jpeg

Fritz is still a cutie at 15, but then, I'm partial to dachshunds.  Our granddog Ginnie also had an account at Walgreens.

Hpoe your talk tonight gets a lot of people interested in helping with the food bank's building project.

Lenda

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Sorry that it wasn't just a CC problem.  I am not an expert on computers as that is DH's area.  I have one suggeston as a start, but offer no guarantees.  You might try clearing the browsning history and even go farther and clear the cache and cookies.  If yo have virus proctecion on the computer, try running a scan for a virus.

If those don't work, I'm out of ideas.

Lenda

Thanks for those suggestions.  It can't hurt, right?

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Oh no...when mine did that, it was kaput!  Had to get a new one.  I hope somebody else has better ideas.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, garlictown said:

👍Thank you for The Daily Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for the Care and Celebration Lists.😊

Some disturbing news from a family member....both are unvaccinated and a quack recommendation was to take Ivermectin. Now, I've heard everything!

I had to look up info about today's port and read the following: The tiny, funky hamlet of Talkeetna is straight out of many visitors' mental picture of life in small-town Alaska.

🙏Prayers to all in need. 😷

Katie 

3 hours ago, dfish said:

I think we all have someone in the family that would come close.  My nephew won't get vaccinated because he is convinced Bill Gates is going to microchip him.   Like he lives such an interesting life that Bill Gates wants to know his every move.  

I'ts amazing the amount of misinformation and what that is that's out there about the vaccine and how to treat Covid.  

@garlictown  Katie, I'm glad the pharmacists would not give them animal dewormer.   😱

@dfish  I've been hearing about Bill Gates and the microchip nonsense since before the vaccines were approved.  BTW, neither Bill or anyone else needs to chip us, as we can easily be followed with all the technology out there from cell phones to other devices.  Why waste the money and effort to put a chip in the vaccine?  😄

Another wacky excuse I heard from a friend for not getting the vaccine was she did not want anyone else"s DNA put in her body!  And she is well educated too.

So please, everyone, wear your mask  😷, social distance and be careful.

Lenda 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I got the first upsell from our Verandah to Signature Suite on the 11th and jumped on that, then from the Signature Suite to the Neptune Suite on the 18th and of course really jumped quickly on that one.  Seems Wednesdays are their upsell offer days, at least in my case.  If you get one make sure to have everything ready, they don't chit chat like your TA does.  😉 

Congratulation on the upsell. Tell Concierge Hector that Bruce & Sue say hi and we’ll see him in October. He has such passion for his job and guest.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, CM1984 said:

Thank you for the welcome @Cruising-along!  I have always read these dailies, never posted, but now it is nice to read everything, for it seems like a "family posting Thread!"

My first park was Yellowstone, then moved east to be closer to family again.  I ended up retiring from George Washington Birthplace National Monument, Virginia - I was the one behind a desk making sure the Rangers and other employees got paid, got their supplies and a budget!  (Boring sometimes, but fun as well!)  Met many wonderful people.  Thanks for asking!

Mimi

Welcome aboard.  I was thinking you had posted previously, but apparently was mistaken.

Roy

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Another wacky excuse I heard from a friend for not getting the vaccine was she did not want anyone else"s DNA put in her body!  And she is well educated too.

Lenda. Unfortunately, being "well educated" does not necessarily mean much. Some peopl;e are just very good a test taking and memorizing things. They often breeze through school but have no idea how to deal with the realities of life.When I was in graduate school I would often just shake my head at some who got straight A's but were complete basket cases. They learned how to take tests but never learned how to think.

Edited by jimgev
  • Like 10