Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog

Jim_Iain

44 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Came accross this on T-Mobile on how to set up Wifi Calling.   It should work the same for other carriers.

I have T-Mobile and tried this on my July equinox cruise and could not it get it to work. I had the included internet package. I should have moved around the ship to see if I could find an optimal WiFi signal. I ended up with $125 in cellular at sea charges  🙂 I just tried it from home and it worked fine. Thanks for posting the video. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

See post #694.

Thanks ---- I  must have misinterpreted  that post when I read it.   Will have to see if I can find out anything.   They still have not, to my knowledge announced any close contacts.   

3 hours ago, Islandhop9 said:

Is the helipad area ever open to commoners or is it VIP only? 

In know it is accessible on some of the RC ships. 

It is by invitation only and I've seen on different days Aqua Class and Concierge Class invited.  This one  may also have to do with Status as the invite I received came from the CC Host.

My favorite of all times was the Arrival in NYC on Silhouette.   We came in really close to Statue of Liberty and was a spectacular view of New York City.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We decided to walk into town today to get some of our walk in.    For the step counters it was just about 10,000 steps round trip.  There's a sign post leaving the port that says 45 minute walk to town.

It is a beautiful day but the humidity seems higher than in St. Croix.   These Artic Cool T's really do a nice job of cooling.

I would estimate that only 1/4 - 1/3 of the stores in town were open and none of the pushy shop mongers that are usually present.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We were thinking the same thing.    This terminal was so different  from what I remember I figured there has to be a second terminal.     Back to studying geography.

Royal and Celebrity use Crown Bay. If memory serves, it was constructed to handle Oasis class ships, which would make it about 12 years old. The other terminal, Havensight, is across the harbor, on the other side of Charlotte Amalie. It has the large shopping area adjacent to the pier. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Islandhop9 said:

Yes it is open to commoners by invitation as has been said.  We have been invited 3 times.  Ironically the only time we have been in a suite we did not receive an invitation and learned later our invitation went to the cabin we had upgraded from.  it is a very special time.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ymncruise said:

I have T-Mobile and tried this on my July equinox cruise and could not it get it to work. I had the included internet package. I should have moved around the ship to see if I could find an optimal WiFi signal. I ended up with $125 in cellular at sea charges  🙂 I just tried it from home and it worked fine. Thanks for posting the video. 

Ouch!

Did you have the "Surf" or "Streaming" plan?  The latter is probably necessary to get WiFi calling to work.  Can anyone that knows for certain confirm?

22 minutes ago, Islandhop9 said:

We have never had the pleasure of staying in a suit, but have been invited to the helipad twice (once while departing Cartagena, Columbia … spectacular.)  Don’t know what we did to get so lucky, luck of the draw I guess.) It was a wonderful experience.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, ymncruise said:

If my memory serves, you have to set it up initially in your home zone (ie not roaming). It should work for you on your next cruise now that you've set it up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

If my memory serves, you have to set it up initially in your home zone (ie not roaming). It should work for you on your next cruise now that you've set it up.

I think you're recalling the issue of the 9-1-1 bypass.  At home, your location works for 9-1-1 calls, but when away from the U.S., it is necessary to bypass that feature when setting up WiFi calling, requiring a couple of extra steps.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, canderson said:

I think you're recalling the issue of the 9-1-1 bypass.  At home, your location works for 9-1-1 calls, but when away from the U.S., it is necessary to bypass that feature when setting up WiFi calling, requiring a couple of extra steps.

I just did a few searches and it is different for T-Mobile and Verizon. T-Mobile requires the extra step of the 9-1-1 bypass, while Verizon requires you to be connected to a Verizon network. OP stated T-Mobile, so you're correct.

Edited by RichYak

3 hours ago, TeaBag said:

Jim you are making me rethink another Caribbean cruise.  Your pictures are spectacular.  Love the food ones too.  Thank you for taking the time to entertain us all.

I'm enjoying it     I'm so happy we decided to go.    I'm ok with the port changes and the restricted ports.   Just happy to be at sea again.    I forgot how much I enjoyed dining out every night and being pampered.   

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, 39august said:

The other port is Havensite, a much nicer shopping area and closer to downtown with a gorgeous bay view. RCI (thus also Celebrity) signed a 10 year contract with Crown Bay in 2116 or 2017. So this will be the port for a while. 

I'm assuming that pier was full today thus we docked at the 'babe' pier

23 hours ago, TommyD3 said:

You forgot to mention that originally Zeniths were given access to Michael's but not Sky Suites.

Now Sky Suites have access but Zenith's not.

Last week there were only two Zenith guests onboard Equinox.

Don't really think an extra two guests would affect a lounge for the hundreds of suite guests.

Before that..Michael's was the Elite Lounge.. pm and am.

And before that, it was the cigar lounge with humidor on most of the older ships!

And at some point the piano style bar...and on some ships the venue for Perry Grant.

Many transitions....

If we sail in a suite in January, we will be back in Michaels...

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JerseyGirlatHeart said:

We have never had the pleasure of staying in a suit, but have been invited to the helipad twice (once while departing Cartagena, Columbia … spectacular.)  Don’t know what we did to get so lucky, luck of the draw I guess.) It was a wonderful experience.  

Sorry, *suite.  

34 minutes ago, JerseyGirlatHeart said:

3 hours ago, Mike981 said:

Well we might have similar vehicles, I have a 21 year old RX300. I like to tell people my car is old enough to drink. I just put a couple thousand into it and hope to keep it for years.

Mine's an ES300.  I actually bought it and drove it in Minnesota for many years.  Was truly amazed that it did not rust.  My previous two Toyota Camrys rusted around the wheel wells at about 9 years each in Minnesota.

• Like 1