Crew incentives

esimon

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I don't.  An "incentive" ought to be supplied by an employee's company to encourage them to do a good job.  A gratuity is offered by the guest as a "thank you" for the service that one has received.  

An incentive can come from the customer: 

TIP = to insure promptness

That is, the expectation of a tip acts as the incentive for better service.  Not to say that it always works...

igraf

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I don't.  An "incentive" ought to be supplied by an employee's company to encourage them to do a good job.  A gratuity is offered by the guest as a "thank you" for the service that one has received.  

So you preferred Hoel Service Charge?  Myself I like th new title 

and incentive is often offered by the customer/client.  That’s what a tip is about.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

I don't like "incentive" because it suggests that our wonderful HAL employees need an incentive.  IMHO, it sounds demeaning.

It doesn't sound demeaning to me.  I can tell you one thing, if I didn't get paid to work I wouldn't be working for giggles.  I imagine may people feel that way.

22 hours ago, kazu said:

So you preferred Hoel Service Charge?  Myself I like th new title 

Yes. I do prefer the previous name.  Changing the name results to "rearranging the chairs on the Titanic".  A "Hotel Service Charge" = "A Crew Incentive" and each of us cruisers will respond as we have always done with the service that we receive.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Yes. I do prefer the previous name.  Changing the name results to "rearranging the chairs on the Titanic".  A "Hotel Service Charge" = "A Crew Incentive" and each of us cruisers will respond as we have always done with the service that we receive.  

I’m wondering if they changed the name so people might not remove it if they see it’s going to the crew rather than calling it a hotel charge some might think it’s like a resort fee.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

I'm very happy with the new "Crew Incentive" wording......because I got to take advantage of the Labor Day sale on both my pre-booked cruises that includes it! 😆

I had to fight for it because I am past final payment and I just had a basic fare with nothing included.  The price has dropped a fair bit.  I did have to pay some for it but I gained more than I paid so now I just have to be able to go.

28 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I’m wondering if they changed the name so people might not remove it if they see it’s going to the crew rather than calling it a hotel charge some might think it’s like a resort fee.

Your point is a good one.  If there is anyone that has ever experienced being charged a "resort fee" on top of the daily charge for such a resort room and is pleased:  please raise your hand!  

And I know that I am probably going to get flamed for typing this, but I do believe this.  If one cannot afford or objects to a "resort fee" or a "hotel service charge" or a "crew incentive", then, why does one book a vacation that includes such?  

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Your point is a good one.  If there is anyone that has ever experienced being charged a "resort fee" on top of the daily charge for such a resort room and is pleased:  please raise your hand!  

And I know that I am probably going to get flamed for typing this, but I do believe this.  If one cannot afford or objects to a "resort fee" or a "hotel service charge" or a "crew incentive", then, why does one book a vacation that includes such?  

Hal should not allow it to be removed unless there are problems with service and not because people want to reward “their” people.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Hal should not allow it to be removed unless there are problems with service and not because people want to reward “their” people.

I wish they would just roll it into the fare and make gratuities neither expected nor required. $105/person/week and you could be done with the whole thing. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, zgscl said:

I wish they would just roll it into the fare and make gratuities neither expected nor required. $105/person/week and you could be done with the whole thing. 

I agree with that recommendation.  I remember cruising with HAL about 20 years ago when we actually received a statement saying gratuities are neither expected or required.  Then a couple of years later, they said "Because some have asked, here are suggested amounts if you want to tip"  Then, of course they decided to automatically add them to our statement.  The semantics of what they decide to call it is kind of amusing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The term "crew incentive" is actually more honest than "HSC", "DSC", "gratuity".  The entire practice is done for two reasons.  One, because it is paid to the crew, it can legally be broken out of the fare, like "port taxes and fees", in order to keep the advertised fare as low as possible.

Two, it provides a "team incentive" to provide better service, since poor performance by one member results in "incentive" being removed and all team members suffering, even if just a little.  This then incentivizes peer pressure as the major form of improvement, carrot and stick, not management practices by supervisors.  It also isolates the company from complaints when the crew's salary takes a hit, as they can say "well, it was the customer, not us".

I don't like the practice, whatever it is called, never have, but it is the way it will be for US based cruises for the foreseeable future.

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The term "crew incentive" is actually more honest than "HSC", "DSC", "gratuity".  The entire practice is done for two reasons.  One, because it is paid to the crew, it can legally be broken out of the fare, like "port taxes and fees", in order to keep the advertised fare as low as possible.

Two, it provides a "team incentive" to provide better service, since poor performance by one member results in "incentive" being removed and all team members suffering, even if just a little.  This then incentivizes peer pressure as the major form of improvement, carrot and stick, not management practices by supervisors.  It also isolates the company from complaints when the crew's salary takes a hit, as they can say "well, it was the customer, not us".

I don't like the practice, whatever it is called, never have, but it is the way it will be for US based cruises for the foreseeable future.

Could you elaborate on why you do not like the practice?

I know whatever it is called we find it easier to have it taken out automatically rather than have to have the proper bills to put in the envelopes.

26 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Could you elaborate on why you do not like the practice?

I know whatever it is called we find it easier to have it taken out automatically rather than have to have the proper bills to put in the envelopes.

It places the crew's salary at the vagaries of the passengers, along with the false idea that it is a "gratuity".  Encouraging a team performance should use reward (bonus), not punishment (removing wage).  This is sloppy personnel management, pure and simple.  It allows poor and marginal managers to remain in place, long after their shortcomings have surfaced.  Most operations, maintenance, and policies, including personnel policies, on ships are governed by the ISM code, which looks not to place blame on anyone for an incident, but strives to find the root cause of the incident, and develop policies and procedures to prevent it happening again.  It is not a "blame culture", but a serious way to self-improve the company.  This "crew incentive" pay scale is just the opposite.

A complaint from a passenger should be brought to the entire service staff at morning, or at least weekly "toolbox" meetings with supervisors, to discuss ways to improve, and then those ideas sent to management for approval and implementation into the ISM code, rather than merely telling the crew, "sorry, pax not happy with the way you guys work, so you're losing money this week".d

Sorry, rant for the day.  The system really gets under my skin.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, zgscl said:

If HAL did add it to the price of the cruise, though, it would have to be more than $105/person/week for the crew to net the same amount. 
When the money is received as 'tips', 'gratuity', or by any other name except 'wages', there are taxes due. Tips are not taxable income to them. 

I see no reason for me to be paying more so their countries can collect more tax money. I want the crew to get what I give---be it as a daily charge, or any extra I give them. 

• Like 5