The Daily for Thursday September 09, 2021

richwmn

2 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

My "whine" of choice for the day-where's the rain? Officially SEATAC airport had 1/2 " of rain August 6 but we didn't see it. Barely 5 minutes of moisture since then. At least the dandelions are turning brown along with everything else. Remind me of this in January! 😊

No kidding.  As I told my neighbor yesterday, we know it's coming, but when??  The weather app is no help, it keeps predicting rain that never comes. 😂 

• Like 8

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Whittier is accessed from Anchorage by a single lane tunnel which rotates on a schedule between traffic in one direction, then the other and trains. 

In 1986 when I spent the summer living in Alaska, the only way to get a vehicle to Whittier was by putting the vehicle on the train. To board the Alaska State Ferry in Whittier, my Alaskan friend and I drove to a train siding south of Anchorage. There he drove his pick-up camper up onto a train flat car. The pick-up was then chained and bolted in place.

Pick-ups, cars, trucks, busses, RVs -- every imaginable type of vehicle was loaded on the train's flat cars. And, like all other passengers whose vehicles had been loaded, we rode inside our vehicle on top of that flat car bouncing along the train track to Whittier. There his pick-up was unloaded and we drove onto the ferry.

(I have pictures but finding pictures from 'my former life' 35 years ago may be a challenge. I'll post if I locate.)

-Melisa

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

My "whine" of choice for the day-where's the rain? Officially SEATAC airport had 1/2 " of rain August 6 but we didn't see it. Barely 5 minutes of moisture since then. At least the dandelions are turning brown along with everything else. Remind me of this in January! 😊

39 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

No kidding.  As I told my neighbor yesterday, we know it's coming, but when??  The weather app is no help, it keeps predicting rain that never comes. 😂 

Wish I could send some ours to you and Gerry out in Alberta and the West where it is so desperately needed.

It’s been a very strange summer weather wise.  We have barely watered plants except the ones in the porch that don’t get the rain.

• Like 12

Good afternoon to those in the Americas, Good morning to those in Australasia and good evening to those in Europe.

We have never been to Alaska, DW reckons that its cold and damp enough here!  Today was a muggy 66°F (19°C in real money) with torrential rain between the showers. 😂

We spent most of the afternoon in the clinics as DW had her latest routine MRI's, CT Scans, Blood tests etc. 

Monday she gets an infusion of Zolendronic Acid for her osteoporosis. 😭 Have any of you ladies had this?  DW is a little concerned about the side effects.  She has been taking a tablet once a month up to now, but this once a year shot has her concerned.  Any one have anything to say about it?

@dfish happy to hear you failed the test.   Hope you have a great cruise.

We still have youngest DS's Panda bear.....does that count as a teddy bear.  It used to go everywhere with us.  He carried it in his back pack when on vacations.  Our granddaughters (his nieces - who adore him!) take Panda to bed when they have a sleepover with us.

Hope everyone stays safe and healthy.

take care!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Unfortunately the headline today was that Vancouver Island has surpassed its previous record of new cases for one day

Ann, can you put that in perspective?  How many?  14 day rate?  DS tells us that there are protests in Vancouver over the implementation of the Vax passports.  I presume that just like here, it is the unvaccinated who are protesting.....?🙄

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Ann, can you put that in perspective?  How many?  14 day rate?  DS tells us that there are protests in Vancouver over the implementation of the Vax passports.  I presume that just like here, it is the unvaccinated who are protesting.....?🙄

We had 90 new cases yesterday, we had been in the teens or low twenties for most of the time for the last few months.  I'm not sure what the 14-day rate is for the island, the majority of the cases are on the mainland and in the interior of the province, but to see 90 in the news this morning was a shock!

Yes, it's the anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers who are protesting here, too, even obstructing areas around hospitals.    We are about to have a federal election, and Trudeau is being attacked for a lot of his Covid policies.  But it is a very small, if noisy, minority  making the fuss.

Colin, I was going to mention that I took Fosamax (a bisphosphonate like Alendronate) for about 20 years, once a week, and now I am on a different  drug, Prolia  (denosumab) which is injected every 6 months.  I've been on that for about 6 years (5 years and then a "rest" for a couple of years). I think Zolendronic Acid is also a  bisphosphonate.  I have found it so much nicer to just have the injection every 6 months.  Much easier on the stomach!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

37 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Good afternoon to those in the Americas, Good morning to those in Australasia and good evening to those in Europe.

We have never been to Alaska, DW reckons that its cold and damp enough here!  Today was a muggy 66°F (19°C in real money) with torrential rain between the showers. 😂

We spent most of the afternoon in the clinics as DW had her latest routine MRI's, CT Scans, Blood tests etc. 

Monday she gets an infusion of Zolendronic Acid for her osteoporosis. 😭 Have any of you ladies had this?  DW is a little concerned about the side effects.  She has been taking a tablet once a month up to now, but this once a year shot has her concerned.  Any one have anything to say about it?

We still have youngest DS's Panda bear.....does that count as a teddy bear.  It used to go everywhere with us.  He carried it in his back pack when on vacations.  Our granddaughters (his nieces - who adore him!) take Panda to bed when they have a sleepover with us.

take care!

I took Fosamax (alendrondrate) for 5 years and had a break for ten years until the effects of some cancer drugs necessitated a restart.  I am not the one to ask though since I have had a femoral stress fracture, an uncommon side effect.   So make sure your DW gets all the info.  I understand  her concerns about the side effects.  

On another note, we have had very pleasant weather in Alaska in late May and July when it was 80 plus!  😎. The water moderates the coast a lot and we did not find it cold at all.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 14

32 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

take care!

My dear friend (who's daughter is awaiting double mastectomy on Monday) had the Reclast treatment. She's 88 now but had the injections starting in about 2009. Not to scare your sweet wife, but my friend had a heck of a time with side effects. Mostly muscle pain, headache and feeling sick after eating. She felt better after 3 or 4 days. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

20 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

We had 90 new cases yesterday, we had been in the teens or low twenties for most of the time for the last few months.  I'm not sure what the 14-day rate is for the island, the majority of the cases are on the mainland and in the interior of the province, but to see 90 in the news this morning was a shock!

Yes, it's the anti-maskers and anti-vaxxers who are protesting here, too, even obstructing areas around hospitals.    We are about to have a federal election, and Trudeau is being attacked for a lot of his Covid policies.  But it is a very small, if noisy, minority  making the fuss.

Colin, I was going to mention that I took Fosamax (a bisphosphonate like Alendronate) for about 20 years, once a week, and now I am on a different  drug, Prolia  (denosumab) which is injected every 6 months.  I've been on that for about 6 years (5 years and then a "rest" for a couple of years). I think Zolendronic Acid is also a  bisphosphonate.  I have found it so much nicer to just have the injection every 6 months.  Much easier on the stomach!

90 is not too bad.  The island's population is less than a million. Ireland's population is 5 million and our figure today was 1,527 and it is falling!  You guys are doing well.

Thanks for the info on 'treatments'.  Ellen was also on Fosamax some time ago and for the last three years on a monthly Ibandronic Acid tablet (Bonviva) which really upset her stomach.  Her GP recommended Prolia injection but at her recent Oncology exam, her consultant sent her for an up to date bone density scan and after that her recommended the Zolendronic acid infusion.   As a man I feel lucky that all in need is a nightly omeprazole tablet for my reflux. (Sorry TMI)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I took Fosamax (alendrondrate) for 5 years and had a break for ten years until the effects of some cancer drugs necessitated a restart.  I am not the one to ask though since I have had a femoral stress fracture, an uncommon side effect.   So make sure your DW gets all the info.  I understand  her concerns about the side effects.  

Yes, DW was on Fosamax and then Bonviva.  It is her Oncologist who has recommended the infusion after viewing her latest bone density scan.  She says that if a table upsets her, she can stop it.  What do you do with an infusion that is supposed to last a year? 😭

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Wish I could send some ours to you and Gerry out in Alberta and the West where it is so desperately needed.

It’s been a very strange summer weather wise.  We have barely watered plants except the ones in the porch that don’t get the rain.

Thank you Jacqui!

It's very strange for our area to be wishing for rain. When it comes, if it's a "normal" winter and spring, we'll be wishing for drier weather again 😉  

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

My dear friend (who's daughter is awaiting double mastectomy on Monday) had the Reclast treatment. She's 88 now but had the injections starting in about 2009. Not to scare your sweet wife, but my friend had a heck of a time with side effects. Mostly muscle pain, headache and feeling sick after eating. She felt better after 3 or 4 days. 

She feels that 3 or 4 days is manageable and would be kind of happy if that was all.  She is having sleepless nights over long term effects.

Prayers for your friend's daughter.  Hope she has a good recovery.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. I like teddy bears and still have one from childhood. I used to do Sodoku on long plane rides; I think I've forgotten how to do it. I also like crossword puzzles. Wonderful weidos, hmmm.

Funny quote.

I'll pass on the carby meal. I like the drink and wine.

I have been to Alaska, but not Whittier. Thanks for the pictures.

I'm quite late today. I had to take my car for it's yearly inspection/emissions. There are no close Acura dealerships, so I had to drive a ways. But now my car has new stickers, and is shiny and clean. There was a brief rain shower on the way home, but it's sunny now. I waited at the dealership and only one other person had on a mask. I wore mine the entire time, not even having complimentary coffee or snacks.

@dfish Safe travels and have a great cruise!

@JAM37 Glad to hear your DH is less winded, and that your back feels better. Congrats on the newly booked cruise.

@cat shepard Good going on the PT!

@smitty34877 Good news that Tana seems to be doing somewhat better. Hope it continues!

@kb4683 Sorry to hear of your possible exposure.  Prayers for a negative test! Great pictures.

@VMax1700 I hope your wife gets good reports on her tests. I'm familiar with the monthly pills (I took Boniva for osteopenia and tolerated it well), and know of the infusion, but don't have experience with that. I do think the infusion side effects only last a short while after it, not long term. But she should talk with her doctors.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask. We had 334 new cases in the last 24 hours in my county (1.2M people). And parents are protesting the school mask mandate, saying it should be their choice; smh.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5

8 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

She feels that 3 or 4 days is manageable and would be kind of happy if that was all.  She is having sleepless nights over long term effects.

Prayers for your friend's daughter.  Hope she has a good recovery.

Thank you. We both volunteered at our hospital for years, so a lot of the doctor's and nurses kept an eye on her. I remember her saying her hands ached longer than the other side effects.

I have osteoporosis and started taking Fosamax also. Ok so far. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Oopsie, got caught up with @VMax1700 and forgot to post my sweet husband's biopsy. Positive on both spots. Luckily they are squamous. His ear needs our MOHS surgeon but his back can be done by his Dermatologist. Bookings are into October. 

Sorry to hear the word positive, but these dermatologists and surgeons do this every day and are quite good at it.  They will take good care of him when his appointment time comes.  And so will you, I know!❤️

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Oopsie, got caught up with @VMax1700 and forgot to post my sweet husband's biopsy. Positive on both spots. Luckily they are squamous. His ear needs our MOHS surgeon but his back can be done by his Dermatologist. Bookings are into October. 

Oops I misread.  So sorry.  But squamous is a good thing.  Prayers for him

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1