Coming back to Quest - any questions you want answering (plus some things we have learned about travelling nowadays)

uktog

On 9/11/2021 at 8:59 PM, uktog said:

I have very very bad news for you David. I will be asking Ryzard what on earth this is……

2D977E69-0E57-4B4E-8564-7C07E4E34E2C.jpeg

Who is F&B manager???  This is appaling. I hate it when we have to carry the Tonic on board ourselves.

Edited by oddjob16
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, manc said:

Alternatively you can ask for club soda

I've had it on more than one cruise where they have actually run out of the club soda and have tried to give me the 'sparkling' water for my vodka soda. No way José!  It might be because so many like me are ordering soda water instead of that awful tonic water as a mixer. We have been promised so many times the Royal Club is gone, but it keeps reappearing. 

Phil 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, uktog said:

A couple of pictures to show how the food service has gone up a notch. I have always loved the cauliflower panna cotta and crab meat but extracting it from the square pots was a nightmare.  Lovely new service. 
Likewise new look banana foster. 

8772F8E8-77EB-4B53-A5E0-19B23986F2F8.jpeg

ADE4EE7E-E122-4A12-AC79-18EF5742A950.jpeg

This looks really good Ann. They've taken the opportunity to make it more modern looking. I knew I watched Masterchef for a reason to pick up on these things!😀

Phil 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

A little change I love. Grab and go boxes from the living room to enjoy where you like. (On your balcony, lounger wherever). I’m so glad to discover it’s not soup but one of the nicest freshest salad pots delicious lunch we shared today. 

B11D96B2-4AAA-4751-BA30-48A2EB17E443.jpeg

F271C238-2413-4B62-9D67-0F7B1D1323FA.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, uktog said:

Some thoughts on the entertainment. For a 7 night cruise they have only brought on one outside act The Knights whom we will see tonight. 

They are experimenting with options.

Last night we sat and listened to an experiment in the Living Room 530-630 which coincided with an Azamara Circle special cocktail being served to all loyalty members there and in the Den. The experiment was for us a big plus we hope is repeated on future cruises. 

First though the “orchestra” is now called the band, six piece. Well said band played Bach Baroque arrangements- we now see Igor plays clarinet flute and saxophone all to such a high standard. It was so beautiful the sounds they made. 

Maryfer plays in The Den, she’s a diminutive Mexican with a beautiful voice, very good on keyboards and a nice personality. 

In the Living Room are some Greek well knowns we are told  - The Reaction Band. 5 piece playing 60s to today. Very good but a bit loud though that may be because the place was pretty empty so less to dampen the sound. They are good at gauging the crowd and had people up

dancing night one no problem. They have pushed the disco to an 11pm start so the band is on for longer. 

One thing to note, they ask you to wear masks on the dance floor and the band reminds people who have forgotten (nicely). 

For the cabaret lounge last night it was the Assistant Cruise Director Geoffrey Jones singing songs from the American Songbook. Excellent brilliant voice- Azamara see Assistant CDs as people who can do full shows and have a performance background- good move as it’s a useful back up should other entertainers let them down. 

So entertainment feels as good as ever sometimes better 

Great to hear that Maryfer is back on board. She made The Den a memorable experience back in the olden days (2019).

• Like 2

On 9/10/2021 at 5:24 PM, marinaro44 said:

Would be interested in knowing Quest's hotel director schedule for the first quarter 2022, if it's been decided.  Thanks.  Enjoy!

Well I have a sort of update Ryzard goes on leave in three weeks but it’s not clear what anyone’s schedule will be in 2022. Nghafira (sp) will cover and hopes after her holiday (not in NZ) she will return to quest but does not know. 

However for previous Azamara guests you will be interested in an announcement made on Sunday at the Captains welcome. This gentleman has been promoted (well deserved in my view) and will go into training next week as F and B/Hotel Director. What a sensible promotion 

0B0766B8-E28E-455D-A8D2-5D7A03F0BC07.jpegYes it’s Rob Doeffler now with hair 😀

Edited by uktog
  • Like 4

Well I have a sort of update Ryzard goes on leave in three weeks but it’s not clear what anyone’s schedule will be in 2022. Nghafira (sp) will cover and hopes after her holiday (not in NZ) she will return to quest but does not know. 

Ngawhira (Fleet).  For those who don't know her, it's pronounced "Nah fear ah". Sorry to people who speak Maori, this is as close as I can get in English. There's a little twist in the "fear" part.

Like Heike, Ngawhira knows how to get things done. We've sailed with her for years and look forward to seeing her again.

Edited by tgg
content
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, uktog said:

However for previous Azamara guests you will be interested in an announcement made on Sunday at the Captains welcome. This gentleman has been promoted (well deserved in my view) and will go into training next week as F and B/Hotel Director. What a sensible promotion 

0B0766B8-E28E-455D-A8D2-5D7A03F0BC07.jpegYes it’s Rob Doeffler now with hair 😀

Thanks for asking, Ann.  I thought 2022 might still be up in the air from looking at the posted schedule.  Probably having the senior hotel directors onboard for each ship's return to sailing, and then establish more permanent rotations after that.

Interesting about Rob.  Already eight names listed in the schedules for the three ships (Ryszard, Heike, Tomasz, Tony, Iwan, Ngawhira, Fabio, Mario).

• Like 1

Today we enjoyed the delights of being able to go ashore alone and just wander. Some pictures from Rhodes.  I always get amused by signs…. Tomorrow we will use a ship’s excursion in Heraklion so will report back. 

EF59AB71-27F0-47C2-A918-4D1960DD83B4.jpeg

937908FD-3205-4201-B9AF-216E4910B136.jpeg

69B4A0C2-4730-4C74-98BE-B6D455B2E7D0.jpeg

0D09C201-1D61-4ECA-8F50-35D69F9CBBEE.jpeg

9A96DC7A-61DD-46AB-B385-07CA19F2F1FF.jpeg

• Like 10

Tonight we experienced Destination Immersion onboard. Now I love Azamazing evenings but I have also been to some not so good ones. This onboard experience was very enjoyable though it only just managed to happen as there was lightning all around- the weather gods stayed with us until literally the last number when it was spitting rain. 

Pre evening they served a Greek themed menu in Windows and also a mixture of Greek and other dishes in Discoveries so nicer than the pre evening buffet. 

The show was excellent, nice covers now adorn the “white night chairs” and it was good fun especially when Staff Captain led the officers dancing as a true Greek should. 

Personally we enjoyed it as much as a trip of ship and for the staff they could really be in control to make it great 

Some pictures to share some of the evening but not spoil some surprises for those sailing soon. 

69C53C60-B562-48C5-BA40-982C7D24BCB5.jpeg

F9A1A9FC-915E-4E49-8E93-583BC861F765.jpeg

6EC56C3C-7041-4ADC-ADA0-975A2BD3993E.jpeg

ABA8DF6E-DAF8-4029-B693-BB99228E0777.jpeg

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

On another site, I saw mention of breakfast being served for suites in Aqualina.  Can you confirm if this is correct?  If so, this is new, isn’t it?

If true, it would be new.  Not keen on the idea of segregating suite passengers and making it a two-class ship.

• Like 4

Ann, thanks for posting the menu for the Authentic Greek Dinner.  If my husband sees galaktoboureko for dessert, he'll book a Greek cruise tomorrow.  Most Greek restaurants don't serve it because it doesn't "keep". The combination of crispy buttery phyllo dough, honey syrup, and very creamy custard is heavenly.  But if it's a day old, the crispy phyllo turns soggy and this dessert is ruined.

• Like 2

Hi uktog!

Just seeing your posts for the first time.. was off the boards for a few days and came back this 5 page It's heaven to read the details.

Thanks for all your posts... enjoying every single one.

Enjoy the week!!!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, tgg said:

Ann, thanks for posting the menu for the Authentic Greek Dinner.  If my husband sees galaktoboureko for dessert, he'll book a Greek cruise tomorrow.  Most Greek restaurants don't serve it because it doesn't "keep". The combination of crispy buttery phyllo dough, honey syrup, and very creamy custard is heavenly.  But if it's a day old, the crispy phyllo turns soggy and this dessert is ruined.

I've never had that dish, but it sounds wonderful.  One thing is sure:  we won't get that in the Caribbean!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

If true, it would be new.  Not keen on the idea of segregating suite passengers and making it a two-class ship.

I don't think of it as making it a two class ship. I see it as a perk in a regular area of the ship for passengers who paid a lot extra for their cabins. Just as there are also perks based upon loyalty level. Anyone can eat in Aqualina during regular evening service. Subject of course to paying the surcharge and being able to get a reservation.

Unlike Celebrity which does have a two class ship by restricting the resort to suites only.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, uktog said:

Today we enjoyed the delights of being able to go ashore alone and just wander. Some pictures from Rhodes.  I always get amused by signs…. Tomorrow we will use a ship’s excursion in Heraklion so will report back. 

EF59AB71-27F0-47C2-A918-4D1960DD83B4.jpeg

937908FD-3205-4201-B9AF-216E4910B136.jpeg

69B4A0C2-4730-4C74-98BE-B6D455B2E7D0.jpeg

0D09C201-1D61-4ECA-8F50-35D69F9CBBEE.jpeg

9A96DC7A-61DD-46AB-B385-07CA19F2F1FF.jpeg

I love the Greek language lesson! 😆

Thanks for your commentary.

Enjoy Heraklion!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

I'm with you.  When I heard mention of this before I thought it sounded a good idea.  Now I'm not so sure.  One advantage would be it would spread out the guests.  Good in these Covid times, but as a permanent thing I don't like the "class segregation" either.

Phil

• Like 2

9 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Wondering if it is a Covid thing to remove the need for Butlers serving breakfast in suites reducing the close contact time.

• Like 2

Yes I meant to highlight this earlier sorry. Suites only in Aqualina have a reduced version of the menu served in Discoveries for breakfast. If this is a covid precaution fine but I doubt it is as Discoveries is pretty empty as is Windows. 
I think those that are there like to feel special so I suspect that change could be here to stay. 
Even if I was in a suite (which I’m not) I prefer breakfast outside whenever weather permits 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, uktog said:

Yes I meant to highlight this earlier sorry. Suites only in Aqualina have a reduced version of the menu served in Discoveries for breakfast. If this is a covid precaution fine but I doubt it is as Discoveries is pretty empty as is Windows. 
I think those that are there like to feel special so I suspect that change could be here to stay. 
Even if I was in a suite (which I’m not) I prefer breakfast outside whenever weather permits 

Your last sentence makes a good point.  Just because someone is booked in a suite, that doesn't mean they have to eat breakfast in Aqualina. I agree I would prefer the outside and wouldn't want to confine myself to the limited menu or segregate if we were in a suite either.

But what about all the perks people in suites receive that guests in lower categories don't?  Should they all be removed to make some people who don't books suites feel better?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I'm with you.  When I heard mention of this before I thought it sounded a good idea.  Now I'm not so sure.  One advantage would be it would spread out the guests.  Good in these Covid times, but as a permanent thing I don't like the "class segregation" either.

Phil

NCL did this on ships that predated The Haven, so upper suite guests could breakfast in Cagney's steak house and avoid the crowds in the main dining room and buffet.  There's no such issue on Azamara, so there's no need for a separate breakfast room, except perhaps to appeal to snobs. 

Cagney's had special menu items not available to the hoi polloi dining with the masses.  I hope this is not true in Aqualina.

• Like 3