I'm pretty sure the dress code has changed

lissie

On 9/30/2021 at 8:26 PM, rakkor said:

The Formal night menus tend to have the more glamourous dishes on them, Beef Wellington, Surf and Turf, Baked Alaska etc, , but the quality is always good no matter what the day is. If interested I have the Daily menus posted from a few of my cruises including the latest on my Blog - Daily Menus Link

Wow that's a disappointing  change in the menu - they've dropped at least entrees as far as I can tell? Seems like there are fewer options - hopefully this is just because of the lower capacity  in the early sailings? 

8 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Airline gate crew frequently care, those dressing well oft times are rewarded with space available upgrades. 

I have heard that can happen but the criteria by which one is judged to be suitably 'upgrade attired'  is open to debate.  Of course, those who have already got their First or Business seat booked, couldn't care less with any dress to impress palaver. 🙂

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Sorry, I know this is nothing to do with ships, but why on earth should the aircrew care?

As you probably agree, I'm pretty sure, they don't. Once onboard, it's the behavior of the passengers which count.

Those used to flying long distance know comfortable clothing is the sensible way to travel, whether your comfy leggings are finest cashmere or Primark best. 🙂

8 hours ago, kohl1957 said:

Yep.

Looks like significant reduction in appetizers... from eight to four (!) and a reduction of entrees from eight to six based on the other menus he has helpfully posted from 2018.

It's not quite RMS SYLVANIA Tourist Class c. 1961 but it's on the right track...

"Back to Normal".  Not quite. Or ever?

The number of Appetisers are unchanged - they've just separated out the Soups and Salads which were incorporated before. There is less choice in entree's and desserts though - We never really noticed when on the cruise though.

11 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Airline gate crew frequently care, those dressing well oft times are rewarded with space available upgrades. 

Happened to me mid 1990s. My brother worked for an airline and as he wasn't married he could nominate a relative in lieu of spouse to get staff travel benefits (10%, standby). So I got a UK-Melbourne ticket for £110. I dressed suitably and on the outward leg he got me upgraded. For the return leg I was warned that the flight was fully booked so decided to try my luck. My Aussie friend looked at me in suit and tie and said "why on earth are you dressed like that". It worked! Business class return for £110. Presumably the extension of this is that if you're cabin crew you pay special attention to the casually dressed since they've probably paid full fare.

11 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

But those aren't aircrew, who in my understanding are the ones who fly the planes, and one would hope we're concentrating on that.

4 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

I have heard that can happen but the criteria by which one is judged to be suitably 'upgrade attired'  is open to debate.  Of course, those who have already got their First or Business seat booked, couldn't care less with any dress to impress palaver. 🙂

This doesn’t tie in with my experience.  For a while I had BA Gold Guest List status with BA and I got several upgrades from business to first after arriving at the airport in jogging bottoms.  

it’s a different matter for employees on some airlines however- if they want to travel in business or first (either as an upgrade or on a discounted employee ticket) then there is a dress code they have to adhere too.

I always dress for maximum comfort when flying long haul.  If I wore my suit it would probably need pressing or dry cleaning after the flight before I could wear it for work.

I’d echo the other comments on here that the cabin crew don’t care what you are wearing - if you are pleasant and civil to them it goes a long way to enduring you get good service in return!

1 hour ago, Se1lad said:

This doesn’t tie in with my experience.  For a while I had BA Gold Guest List status with BA and I got several upgrades from business to first after arriving at the airport in jogging bottoms.  

it’s a different matter for employees on some airlines however- if they want to travel in business or first (either as an upgrade or on a discounted employee ticket) then there is a dress code they have to adhere too.

I always dress for maximum comfort when flying long haul.  If I wore my suit it would probably need pressing or dry cleaning after the flight before I could wear it for work.

I’d echo the other comments on here that the cabin crew don’t care what you are wearing - if you are pleasant and civil to them it goes a long way to enduring you get good service in return!

repeat of a post

Edited by Victoria2
internet problems, repeated post

1 hour ago, Se1lad said:

I'll try again

I think your Gold FF status might have had a bit of influence on your joggers being upgraded.😄

How one dresses for long haul, or any, travel is entirely down to personal preference.   I might look as if I'd been mowing the lawn, elegantly of course as one doesn't want to get one's cashmere joggers [M&S not NPeal] grass stained, but in reality, comfort is the key for us.

I love the way the thread has moved onto air travel dress code. 

I don't think how you dress will have any impact on chance of upgrade , unless you look like a tramp which might be a hinderence.  

Now I'm  paying my own way I'm very happy in business and don't really care about, upgrades to first a flat bed is a flat bed, airline meals in all classes are tasteless,  so I dress for comfort .  It's 18 years since I retired (youngish) And only had one upgrade since then, even though I'm gold for Life.

Upgrades are only given if required beacuse of a full plane in the cabin below.  I'm sure BA concentrate upgrades on those flying regularly,  not twice year like me, that's as they should do.  My experience in the days before gold guest list was invented, was that BA still had a pecking order within gold. So on those shorter long haul , (below 10 hrs) when company policy was business,  I often got upgrades , even in casual clothes. 

Suits and ties in Business / First died out in the the early 90s.  The only exception I noticed was on Concorde,  but that was people were getting straight off the plane inyo a meeting. 

Anyone in a tie nowadays would look like they'd dressed for an upgrade. 

With most airlines upgrades are given out in order of frequent flyer status and they have strict procedures

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I'll try again

I think your Gold FF status might have had a bit of influence on your joggers being upgraded.😄

How one dresses for long haul, or any, travel is entirely down to personal preference.   I might look as if I'd been mowing the lawn, elegantly of course as one doesn't want to get one's cashmere joggers [M&S not NPeal] grass stained, but in reality, comfort is the key for us.

This reminded one of a lovely lady who one met occasionally when flying Virgin from USA.  

On boarding her first action was to change her clothing, putIng on baggy pyjamas, hanging her clothing neatly in the wardrobe.  Reason given and a great one.  “As I seriously hit the bar after takeoff, it’s easier to change before rather than after when I’m smashed”.  Before landing and after breakfast, changed back into day clothes.  No hangover.

The bar and aircraft staff knew her well, using her Christian name, helping her back to bed and tucking in nicely. 

Yes, gratuities back then were in order and welcomed.

20 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

My experience in the days before gold guest list was invented, was that BA still had a pecking order within gold.

You're right - and they still do.  It iss called the CIV score - it you are able to see a printed manifest on board a BA flight it will be shown along with your name and frequent traveller status.  I don't fly so frequently now, but if I recall the CIV goes from 0-103ish.  35-96 was the range for Gold, 97 was Gold Guest List.  Obviously as gold, the more long haul flights you did in business and first, the higher your CIV would be.

BA also sometimes upgrade first time flyers.  No idea how the algorythm works but I would imagine they try and select people who may potentially choose to pay for the higher grade in the future - this happened to the parents of one of my friends a few years back - on the outbound flight from LGR they were upgraded from Premium Economy to Business.

I managed to make gold for live too with the 35,000 lifetime tier points on BA.  I doubt I will make the 100,000 required for gold guest list for life however!

43 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

This reminded one of a lovely lady who one met occasionally when flying Virgin from USA.  

On boarding her first action was to change her clothing, putIng on baggy pyjamas, hanging her clothing neatly in the wardrobe.  Reason given and a great one.  “As I seriously hit the bar after takeoff, it’s easier to change before rather than after when I’m smashed”.  Before landing and after breakfast, changed back into day clothes.  No hangover.

The bar and aircraft staff knew her well, using her Christian name, helping her back to bed and tucking in nicely. 

Yes, gratuities back then were in order and welcomed.

I was a Virgin Gold FF for years, as I spent quite a lot of time with friends in the US. Crew were, and I imagine, still are, lovely and yes, they knew your name. Tickets were very reasonable but they had to be as the seats were awful in U/C. I eventually decamped to better seats. Only perk for me was an extra bag if needed. 

If I hadn’t  changed out of my jeans before boarding, I too changed onboard but changed back before the bacon buttie, HP sauce obviously.

Never considered tipping air crew and never will.

2 hours ago, Se1lad said:

I managed to make gold for live too with the 35,000 lifetime tier points on BA.  I doubt I will make the 100,000 required for gold guest list for life however!

Retired at 85000 points (but didn't know that in 2003) . If  I  had the choice again whether to keep flying and get GL for Life,  or 3 years extra retirement. Then it's a no brainer , retire .   The human body isn't meant for flying round  the world every week as you get old.

When I retired end 2003 , they didn't  have gold for Life, but ff status makes no difference  if you fly business. Luckily just one year after BA introduced the absurdity of paying to choose a seat in business they introduced gold for Life.

Only use BA for Capetown as they are only direct flight. Virgin is only high season, anyway vowed never to fly virgin again after Richard Branson,  celebrating his trans pacific balloon flight in 1991 kept everyone awake including me when I was trying to sleep coming back from LA. NB he wasn't wearing a tie.

Tend to find other airlines  cheaper and better, the BA business was getting very dated. See what new suites are like. 

Edited by Windsurfboy

On the subject of customer surveys mentioned last week, I received an email invitation from Cunard this morning to "Please share your thoughts with us." I was looking forward to providing input to "help us better understand what our guests are looking for from their vacations, so we can continue to provide you with the best possible experience."

Well, after answering eleven questions including some basic demographics, the types of vacations we take and how much we spend on them, I was flushed out with the message "Unfortunately, your profile does not correspond to the one we were looking for in this study."

The final question before I was told I didn't qualify for the survey asked which of these cruise lines I've travelled with in the last 5 years.

Cunard

Princess Cruises

Seabourn

Silversea

Celebrity

Crystal Cruises

Holland America Line

Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Virgin Voyages

Viking Cruises

I could only answer "Cunard".

• Like 1

We are looking forward to Eat, Sleep and Relax.

Return to the dedicated staff and crew that will look after our every need.

Being served by the Club Britannia Staff and the wonderful dishes being offered to us. Those we normally won't make at home and looking forward to dishes that are different.

Being entertained by the Entertainment Staff and we think wonderful shows in the Royal Court.

And meeting many new passengers especially Cruise Critics old and new.

We are still in contact with many wonderful people we met sailing.

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Retired at 85000 points (but didn't know that in 2003) . If  I  had the choice again whether to keep flying and get GL for Life,  or 3 years extra retirement. Then it's a no brainer , retire .   The human body isn't meant for flying round  the world every week as you get old.

When I retired end 2003 , they didn't  have gold for Life, but ff status makes no difference  if you fly business. Luckily just one year after BA introduced the absurdity of paying to choose a seat in business they introduced gold for Life.

Only use BA for Capetown as they are only direct flight. Virgin is only high season, anyway vowed never to fly virgin again after Richard Branson,  celebrating his trans pacific balloon flight in 1991 kept everyone awake including me when I was trying to sleep coming back from LA. NB he wasn't wearing a tie.

Tend to find other airlines  cheaper and better, the BA business was getting very dated. See what new suites are like. 

My flying history and hotel stays have  all been for leisure  and at the moment, the programmes/ accumulated air miles will be a  thing of the past if I don't keep accounts active. We will look at the '23 itineraries and make our minds up whether we want to chance the metal tube again or stick to Southampton based cruises.

Cunard  'free' wifi is the only perk I value as a top tier Cunard 'FF'.  🙂

15 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

My flying history and hotel stays have  all been for leisure  and at the moment, the programmes/ accumulated air miles will be a  thing of the past if I don't keep accounts active. We will look at the '23 itineraries and make our minds up whether we want to chance the metal tube again or stick to Southampton based cruises.

Cunard  'free' wifi is the only perk I value as a top tier Cunard 'FF'.  🙂

Think one can still keep the miles account active buy purchasing points, or using a airline credit card (that give points for a purchase) to buy a coffee.

39 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Think one can still keep the miles account active buy purchasing points, or using a airline credit card (that give points for a purchase) to buy a coffee.

Transferring hotel points to the airline and  then purchasing something minor from the 'duty free' online keeps both programmes active for the time being.

We have enough points for one U/C return each, High season, or two single trips. The single trip are the most worthwhile in terms of usage as they are literally, half the point count whereas a single airfare is more than half a return. Not to be sniffed at or let slide. 🙂

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

The single trip are the most worthwhile in terms of usage as they are literally, half the point count whereas a single airfare is more than half a return. Not to be sniffed at or let slide. 

The same, we always use "miles" when we cruise back from S Africa,  one way often more expensive than a return. If we couldn't get avios ticket,  a business out and economy  back can be cheapest way to buy a one way. Just dump the economy return.

Have to use metal tube to get to SA as soon as it's off red list, and to get to Australia to see the granddaughters as soon as we can.

23 hours ago, lissie said:

Wow that's a disappointing  change in the menu - they've dropped at least entrees as far as I can tell? Seems like there are fewer options - hopefully this is just because of the lower capacity  in the early sailings? 

Menus look pretty good. I always order an appetizer, salad and soup before the main and then the cheese board after the dessert. Plenty to enjoy.

On 10/3/2021 at 3:46 PM, exlondoner said:

Sorry, I know this is nothing to do with ships, but why on earth should the aircrew care?

They are nicely attired. I am sure they find the attire of many a passenger appalling and it is commented on at their down time parties. Why make yourself one of the pitied.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

They are nicely attired. I am sure they find the attire of many a passenger appalling and it is commented on at their down time parties. Why make yourself one of the pitied.

So long as the clothing isn’t offensive, smelly/dirty or overly revealing I am sure the cabin crew couldn’t care less.  I’m confident that I am not the topic of conversation at the crew party for wearing jogging bottoms in first class for the 24 hours it takes to fly from London to Sydney!

7 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Guess you never attend any of the "working class" people's parties being as you state a  "First class buyer of tickets". There you will learn how many of the sloppy are looked at and spoken about, Airline, train and cruise ship. 

I don’t think the three can be grouped together.  Cruise ships have a published dress code, planes and trains do not.

• Like 1