I'm pretty sure the dress code has changed

lissie

1 hour ago, Electra 7 said:

Read an interesting article yesterday white bow ties were worn in the twenty's changed to black ties in 30s and people thought this was down grading to change from white to black bow tie wonder what they would think now 

White tie events still exist, either in private or public.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

National Dress is allowed on Gala Nights, it's usually kilts on ex-UK sailings but I have seen some Japanese Dress occasionally.

Don't worry about some of the opinions posted here, I worry that we put more people off than we encourage but then I read some of the other boards and I stop worrying too much.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Don't worry about some of the opinions posted here, I worry that we put more people off than we encourage but then I read some of the other boards and I stop worrying too much.

One agrees with your sentiments, it’s the Fifth Column Casual Brigade that could have a detrimental effect on bookings.  Luckily, as you confirmed, other boards remain strong.

44 minutes ago, rakkor said:

There were certainly kilts in evidence on our August 20th Sun Voyage. Multiple kilts, I really need to get organised and sort myself a kilt, some of the most fun I've had was while wearing a kilt.

I think we may be getting into the realm of 'too much information'...😀😀😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

@2BACRUISER
Cunard is wonderful… and the onboard experience is so very special.

The people I have met on Cunard are delightful, well traveled, and very interesting. 

Don’t be put off from booking because of the discussions on here.

It is a great experience!

I say, give it a try 😊

(People are often passionate about discussing Cunard on these and other boards, because they love it… and because it is unique from other lines.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Electra 7 said:

Read an interesting article yesterday white bow ties were worn in the twenty's changed to black ties in 30s and people thought this was down grading to change from white to black bow tie wonder what they would think now 

Well just to clarify, white bow ties were worn with tail coats, while black ties were worn with (the much more casual) dinner jackets. 

42 minutes ago, Electra 7 said:

Exactly - how times have changed

The protocol for dressing with white/black ties has not/never changed, some people have, as they have no wish to attend any “Formal” events, because of the invitation dress code.   They just have a preference for and feel comfortable with their “casual” approach to dining.  
There are specific Cunard dining venues with dress a code requirement, with clear designated areas for any cruisers who wish to dine dressed in a more casual manner.  Everyone is catered for.

There is no need to change any dress codes, because people will naturally migrate to venues where there is a dress code they feel comfortable with and happy to follow.

23 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

The protocol for dressing with white/black ties has not/never changed, some people have, as they have no wish to attend any “Formal” events, because of the invitation dress code.   They just have a preference for and feel comfortable with their “casual” approach to dining.  
There are specific Cunard dining venues with dress a code requirement, with clear designated areas for any cruisers who wish to dine dressed in a more casual manner.  Everyone is catered for.

There is no need to change any dress codes, because people will naturally migrate to venues where there is a dress code they feel comfortable with and happy to follow.

I think given the limited  venues on Cunard for people who want to be casually dressed in the evenings for the majority of their days on board, that they will already have migrated to other lines.  

I would change the dress code for other reasons ,  central is the balance between number of  formal and " casual" nights

The vast majority of cunard  passengers want to dress for dinner as if it's a special occasion  more than 2 nights a week.

If people hanker for the elegance of the hey day of ocean liners in the evenings. Then to me it is strange that the majority of evenings Cunard have a so called smart attire dress code, that in the hey day of cruise liners is what the head gardener would have worn to work.  Definitely not what would have been worn by gentlemen for dinner.  

If the  majority of evenings were formal , at least 4 a week or ideally 5 nights a week. Then the dress code on other nights is less important, it could be as casual as people like , but only for 2 nights a week .  But as it is now and the majority of evenings (5 out of 7) are so called smart attire, then a we have a problem if dress becomes too casual, it will ruin what Cunard is about.

So many more formal  nights and then who cares about smart attire

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I have just been reading a book which contains the following sentence: 'The Paris-Moscow Express was one of the last trains where it was customary to dress for dinner.' Tempus mutat...

Last train?  Please to confirm a no.
We have enjoyed the Orient Express on three occasions prior to COVID and each time, although not mandatory, the overwhelming majority of gentlemen dressed with black tie for dinner.  The ladies really went for it and looked sensational.   “Welcome to bling central” - The post Dinner cocktail gatherings were a joy and an unexpected highlight.
Have the OE combined with Verona Opera for a sail out train back (or vice versa) adventure pencilled in for 2024

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Predictive

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

So many more formal  nights and then who cares about smart attire

More formal nights per cruise would be superb and I would quite happily sit down to dinner amongst formally dressed fellow passengers every night.

Unfortunately, I'm a realist and know Cunard as a cruise line would not survive. We will follow 'the old' [as of two years ago when we last cruised] dress advice. Those who decide not to wear a jacket will not affect our dinner or our enjoyment of the evening.

In addition to Cunard, we regularly cruise Celebrity, HAL, and Princess.

On those lines I primarily wear a golf shirt to dinner.

The formality and tradition of Cunard make that an interesting and enjoyable alternative for which I wear either suit or tux.

Why is it necessary for every cruise line to be the same homogenized offering?

Is Cunard really sure that there aren’t enough traditionally minded cruisers out there any more?

I’ve already commented on this thread that the younger generation appears to enjoy dressing up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

More formal nights per cruise would be superb and I would quite happily sit down to dinner amongst formally dressed fellow passengers every night.

Unfortunately, I'm a realist and know Cunard as a cruise line would not survive. 

I'm not to sure Cunard wouldn't  survive  more formal nights. It would help them stand out from the crowd, a real difference.  I think there would be enough takers.

But it would take a belief that I don't think the Carnivalised management have

7 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

One wishes that were the true case. Sadly there are those who want to "experience" the fine dining in the main dining rooms while not contributing to the overall ambiance which makes the main dining room what it is. A place for fine people in dresses and at bare minimum jacket, dress shirt and tie (slacks and shoes of course) Once the passengers no longer dress as such, the ambiance is lost and the fine dining rooms no longer carry the level of interest that one pays the Cunard premium for.

3 hours ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Why is it necessary for every cruise line to be the same homogenized offering?

Is Cunard really sure that there aren’t enough traditionally minded cruisers out there any more?

I’ve already commented on this thread that the younger generation appears to enjoy dressing up.

On our WB crossing in 2019 the inimitable Bill Miller was one of the lecturers. His comment to me was to the effect of, "Isn't it good that there are so many choices for people who want to sail?"

Hi all

I was drawn to Cunard for its dressy evening attire and black tie nights so assuming my annual leave is approved we will be booking, however after reading this thread I'm not sure I understood the criteria.

We are 33 and 36 so I'm already worried we are too young, but on our last cruise in 2019 we met an older couple and did a few activities with them throughout the week and became quite friendly so i think we could fit in.

Anyway, back to dress code…. In the evenings my understanding is suit and tie / no tie with long sleeve shirts and then formal nights where its dress to the 9’s.

In the daytime though I want to wear jeans, shorts, flip flops, trainers and t-shirts but from reading this thread people would think we were stowaways as thats not how its done. Can someone put my mind at ease and tell me that in the day these are acceptable and loads of people do it.

The dress code only applies after 18:00 - It may have changed slightly as part of the new staycation cruises, but I assume not as we never noticed anything in August.

I live in shorts and t-shirts during the day when warm and jeans during a colder cruise so you havbe nothing to worry about. The only restrictions during the day are around pool wear worn ouside the pool area. From the daily programme -

"Non-ripped jeans are appropriate, but please refrain from wearing shorts, sports attire, swim wear or sleeveless t-shirts outside of the gym, spa and deck spaces"

You will be near the bottom end of the age range on any Cunard cruise (Crossings excepted) but we're not all decrepit and there are plenty of younger and young at heart cruisers out there.

Edited by rakkor

Excellent, thanks. That makes it a lot easier. 

I thought we would be on the lower end of the age range but we really want an adults only cruise and we may be taking my gran with me as she loves cruising but hasn’t been anywhere in the 6 odd years since my grandad died so she would love the elegance and ballroom dancing / big band music etc.

34 minutes ago, Rob87 said:

Hi all

I was drawn to Cunard for its dressy evening attire and black tie nights so assuming my annual leave is approved we will be booking, however after reading this thread I'm not sure I understood the criteria.

We are 33 and 36 so I'm already worried we are too young, but on our last cruise in 2019 we met an older couple and did a few activities with them throughout the week and became quite friendly so i think we could fit in.

Anyway, back to dress code…. In the evenings my understanding is suit and tie / no tie with long sleeve shirts and then formal nights where its dress to the 9’s.

In the daytime though I want to wear jeans, shorts, flip flops, trainers and t-shirts but from reading this thread people would think we were stowaways as thats not how its done. Can someone put my mind at ease and tell me that in the day these are acceptable and loads of people do it.

Your “I want to wear” choices for the day are absolutely fine.  Your appreciation of the special Cunard ambiance will make you welcome, after all, you are the current and the future Cunarders.

31 minutes ago, Rob87 said:

Hi all

I'm 34 and my husband is 36 and we've notched up 10 trips with Cunard over the past 6 years. We've always worn our regular jeans, t-shirts, trainers during the day and never felt out of place. We've always had a great time (which is why we keep coming back for more) and met some fantastic people. Don't be put off Cunard by the dress code police because it is a fantastic line.

I would say that we're some of the dressier at night but not the dressiest because some people really do go for it. I wear nice dresses on smart attire nights whereas a lot of women do seem to wear more casual separates. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

I'm not to sure Cunard wouldn't  survive  more formal nights. It would help them stand out from the crowd, a real difference.  I think there would be enough takers.

But it would take a belief that I don't think the Carnivalised management have

My Cunard survival point was re every night, a formal night.

I was hoping the paring down of formal evenings was a temporary measure and despite calendars on future cruises, it still might be as Cunard are not above changing the dress codes notification. I don't know why formal evenings  seem to have been cut but because  I'm not a mind reader and  no statement seems to have come from Cunard, I won't presume to think anything about the management  other than to say company changes in anything are often revenue driven and so  I can only speculate it's come from those who see less formals as the way forward for the company for reasons not yet specified