Do you guys try to do your laundry as soon as you depart ship or wait til you get home?

Trafficatsea

interesting... I'm one who can't stand the idea of putting dirty clothes in our suitcases... on Celebrity, we get a few free bags of laundry,  I'll utilize that as well as some dry cleaning for more delicate items...  we normally do pre & post cruise travel, & will have the hotel do our laundry.  

I have a mesh bag that we hang on the bathroom door for our laundry...

We did a driving trip though Scotland a couple of years ago, & then flew to Ireland to join our cruise...  on the driving trip, there really was no time/place to do laundry, so we had a large bag full of things that needed washing, found a laundry service close to our hotel, dropped off our bag full in the morning, & picked up our freshly laundered/ironed/folded things at the end of day...  it was nice to board with all clean clothes

We have a HAL cruise upcoming, & I've already bought the unlimited laundry & pressing package.

So yes, I'm one who arrives home with everything clean except for what we wore on the last day   🙂

• Like 2

On 9/28/2021 at 7:00 PM, ldubs said:

I had a job watching laundry.  Pretty boring but the pay was good.  😆😆

Freshman year I had a college laundry job - good pay, and because all the washers and dryers had 45 minute cycles, I was able to load, shift and unload all machines in under ten minutes, giving me over half hour chunks of uninterrupted homework time (as well as free washing of my stuff).

• Like 1

I have never once considered doing laundry before I come home. We recently returned from a trip and on our last couple days I noticed a laundromat outside our hotel and it made me think of this thread. I considered it for all of 5 seconds. One of the best parts of packing to go home is just dumping everything in since it’s all going into the laundry anyway. Couldn’t bring myself around to the idea of spending vacation time doing laundry, folding all my clothes, packing them away neatly; only to have to unpack and re-hang/fold when I got home.

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Freshman year I had a college laundry job - good pay, and because all the washers and dryers had 45 minute cycles, I was able to load, shift and unload all machines in under ten minutes, giving me over half hour chunks of uninterrupted homework time (as well as free washing of my stuff).

Good to have a college job that can allow for study.  I worked (& lived) at the fire department for most of college.   Not much partying opportunity when you are on a 24 hour shift.  Pretty good for study.  

Currently on a 14 day B2B on Odyssey of the Seas, going to Symphony of the Seas on Saturday.  I considered doing an all you can fit in the bag for $34.99 because I will be needing some fresh shirts by the end of the week.   The new special is limited to Pajamas, Socks, Shorts, Swimwear, T-shirts & Underwear.   I don't know when they started specifying what could go into the bag, instead of just all you can fit into it.

20211031_144115.jpg

2 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I don't know when they started specifying what could go into the bag, instead of just all you can fit into it.

Thanks for posting this.  That is unusual.  Is there a separate price list for other items that could be laundered?  

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for posting this.  That is unusual.  Is there a separate price list for other items that could be laundered?  

I am sure there is - they will charge more (per item) for anything which needs ironing or anything more than just washing and folding.

Does anyone really think that costs will not always go up (or included services go down) year by year?

I don't get it either, in 40 years of travel never have done laundry till I got home.  Some times we have had an item pressed but that is it.   We have even gone away for as much as 5 weeks, I guess if longer may have washed out some underwear in a sink?

13 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I am sure there is - they will charge more (per item) for anything which needs ironing or anything more than just washing and folding.

Does anyone really think that costs will not always go up (or included services go down) year by year?

While I agree that ironing should cost more than washing and folding. I'm not sure why anyone is assuming that I want my jeans or sweatshirts ironed. I certainly don't iron them at home. If that is the reason for the cost difference, then it seems like it should be a choice. 

But no, as a general statement I agree that costs will go up or included services will go down year by year

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

While I agree that ironing should cost more than washing and folding. I'm not sure why anyone is assuming that I want my jeans or sweatshirts ironed. I certainly don't iron them at home. If that is the reason for the cost difference, then it seems like it should be a choice. 

But no, as a general statement I agree that costs will go up or included services will go down year by year

You have your wording very slightly wrong.  It should say costs will go up AND included services will go down year by year.

DON

13 hours ago, pris993 said:

I don't get it either, in 40 years of travel never have done laundry till I got home.  Some times we have had an item pressed but that is it.   We have even gone away for as much as 5 weeks, I guess if longer may have washed out some underwear in a sink?

If you only wash out some underwear when away for longer than 5 weeks, you must bring one whole hell of a lot of underwear - or else go a really long time between changes.

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

If you only wash out some underwear when away for longer than 5 weeks, you must bring one whole hell of a lot of underwear - or else go a really long time between changes.

Never packed light, always took what we needed.  Years ago, we could go with 2 suitcases each, up to 70 lbs each.  More changing today at the 50 lb limit. LOL

1 hour ago, pris993 said:

Never packed light, always took what we needed.  Years ago, we could go with 2 suitcases each, up to 70 lbs each.  More changing today at the 50 lb limit. LOL

Still, living 5 weeks out of a 50 lb. suitcase with no washing must involve a lot of repeated, unwashed changes of clothes.

55 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Still, living 5 weeks out of a 50 lb. suitcase with no washing must involve a lot of repeated, unwashed changes of clothes.

Believe me doable, have been doing it for many years.  

On 11/1/2021 at 9:31 PM, navybankerteacher said:

This can definitely vary person to person. I recently took a 3.5 week cruise with a friend. Her bag was 25 pounds and mine was 40 pounds. We both made it through the trip without doing "laundry" without smelling and relatively hygienically. She does not sweat. Literally. She is the kind of person that can work out for an hour and then go to lunch because she isn't sweaty. I'm opposite. I can walk up a flight of stairs and need to change my shirt. She can obviously get many more wears out of clothing than I can. 

We use laundry services, on board and on land, as required.  And we wash some things out occasionally.   More often we are traveling for 8-10 weeks at a time.   Our bags are each typically between 8-10 Kg (17-23lbs) each.   

We have no problem whatsoever paying for laundry service or occasionally rinsing things out ourselves.  No doubt this is more expensive that checking baggage but the cost is not the issue.

We buy clothes/footwear specifically for how they travel, how they wash/easycare/how they wear.   And we layer.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

Somehow, I am not sure I would want to share a cabin with someone who travelled very light and went five or so weeks without doing any laundry.  Carrying luggage is not much fun, and doing laundry is not the best way to spend vacation time -- but sometimes accommodations need to be considered.