Do you guys try to do your laundry as soon as you depart ship or wait til you get home?

Trafficatsea

25 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

This is great advice! We’ve occasionally done this with some items. It also makes space for stuff acquired while on the cruise.

The "stuff I haven't worn in years" has already been donated to St. Vincent de Paul.

25 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Another thing we have never understood is when some on cruises spend the better part of their last day (or the last two days) doing laundry and packing.  We know folks that waste an entire sea day just packing! 

You're kidding surely??  I really hope you are?

I normally travel carry-on only and can pack in under 10minutes even from a standing start. However  on a cruise with another bag between us I think the time blew out to about 20 mins - I don't really exactly - it was late and night and I wasn't sober LOL 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lissie said:

You're kidding surely??  I really hope you are?

I normally travel carry-on only and can pack in under 10minutes even from a standing start. However  on a cruise with another bag between us I think the time blew out to about 20 mins - I don't really exactly - it was late and night and I wasn't sober LOL 

I kid you not :).   Not everyone travels light and you can see from some of the posts that some folks are obsessed with going home with clean clothes all carefully packed.    As to packing after a few drinks....well I like that idea :).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Definitely unequivocally not appealing.  I agree w the person who said that spending time in a hotel watching the washer going around as opposed to being outside anywhere makes no sense.

DON

What if you have a tasty adult beverage (or three) in hand while watching?

18 hours ago, Trafficatsea said:

Silly question, but wondering if it'd be worth the time to try to find a hotel that has washer/dryer or a laundromat.  My flight leaves pretty late in the day, leaving me plenty of time.  We'll be coming back into Miami and flight is out of FLL.  😁

We wait till we arrive home to wash all the dirty clothes.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

No, and I am hanging head in shame.  But I still can do a darn good job ironing (learned that in the military)  :).

About 30 years ago I tried to teach Bob to iron. (He was still in suits and dress shirts at the time.) It was the most painful thing to watch and I told him to continue to send them out to the laundry.

10 minutes ago, clo said:

About 30 years ago I tried to teach Bob to iron. (He was still in suits and dress shirts at the time.) It was the most painful thing to watch and I told him to continue to send them out to the laundry.

ROFL.  I do not do suits (although no problem touching up the slacks).  But dress shirts are a personal specialty thanks to Uncle Sam who often insisted that our shirts had to be perfectly ironed.   That being said, the decent permanent press shirts are quite nice (especially Lands End).

Hank 

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

ROFL.  I do not do suits (although no problem touching up the slacks).  But dress shirts are a personal specialty thanks to Uncle Sam who often insisted that our shirts had to be perfectly ironed.   That being said, the decent permanent press shirts are quite nice (especially Lands End).

Hank 

The only thing I ever ironed was white handkerchiefs .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Hank 

I LOL at this, but only because you remind me of my husband. As an eager newlywed (45 yes ago) I did all the laundry and dutifully ironed his shirts and trousers. Until he complained about the crease on his trousers.  To this day he irons his own clothes. And my daughters followed suit with their husbands.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mom says said:

I LOL at this, but only because you remind me of my husband. As an eager newlywed (45 yes ago) I did all the laundry and dutifully ironed his shirts and trousers. Until he complained about the crease on his trousers.  To this day he irons his own clothes. And my daughters followed suit with their husbands.

You go, girl!

20 hours ago, dkjretired said:

One cruise we stayed in FLL at one of the Marriotts and they had a laundry room next to the pool. We went home and we had all the laundry done with very little down time from the pool 

I have done this as well.  And, in my experience, if one ask at the Front Desk, there are small boxes of detergent available at no cost.  Some hotels even have dryer sheets.  

18 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Alternate plan for those who don’t want to bring home dirty laundry:

1) Before the cruise, go through your drawers and closet and take out all the stuff you haven’t worn in years

2) Pack those clothes for the cruise

3) At the end of the cruise, toss them instead of bringing them home. 

I have met cruisers who do this.  I have the same for some well worn socks that have had a "holy experience".  Toss them into the trash!  

• Like 1

Mrs Bear and I are in the camp of bring home dirty laundry, and wash at home [a day or two later].

Even though we massively overpack, it seems like that's only about 7 - 9 days of clean clothing, so laundry is inevitable on our typical cruise. We've also sent stuff out for cleaning / pressing and its come back in nice shape [tuxedo shirt nicely pressed/starched]. 

And its about 13 months to our next cruise - time to get out the bow tie and see if my fingers remember how to tie it.

On a longer cruise I will do laundry (if self serve is available), takes very little time.  Or send out a bag, if necessary.  We can pack in an hour or so and take our dirty clothes home to wash.  The only way I'd wash after a cruise in a hotel is if we were staying quite a while longer.

I am very fussy about putting dirty clothes in my suitcase; I bring a garbage bag and/or large plastic bags to keep them separate from the suitcase and any clean things I have.

36 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

On a longer cruise I will do laundry (if self serve is available), takes very little time.  Or send out a bag, if necessary.  We can pack in an hour or so and take our dirty clothes home to wash.  The only way I'd wash after a cruise in a hotel is if we were staying quite a while longer.

I am very fussy about putting dirty clothes in my suitcase; I bring a garbage bag and/or large plastic bags to keep them separate from the suitcase and any clean things I have.

Oh, that reminds me. When we did a S. America/Antarctica trip, we used a compression bag for my down coat and then on the return we used it for dirty clothes.

On 9/21/2021 at 3:39 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I'm not being snarky. When I'm on vacation, I honestly don't mind washing out a few clothes if they are needed for the trip. But doing laundry when I get home is no big deal to me at all. In fact, it's a lot easier. I am fussy about my clothes. I have a good washer and dryer and premium laundry soap. Many of my clothes I prefer not to dry or only to dry for a few minutes and then hang.

And I really like to make the most of my vacation, so -- not interested in doing laundry solely to have it be clean when I get home. 🤨

Same.  Doing a few loads of laundry when we get home is pretty easy.   However, I would send stuff out for cleaning/laundering when it is one of our free perks.   But I would not do it myself even if the laundry room were available at no charge.   Only exception being of course if a bag were lost and we were running out of clothes. 

22 hours ago, mom says said:

I can't remember the last time I saw an iron.  I tried it once and found it to be the best possible example of domestic drudgery.   Of course it is very likely that I was not very good at it.   When I worked and needed stuff ironed, I sent it to the cleaners.  Never expected or wanted Mrs Ldubs to do it.    Now days I figure I got wrinkles and maybe it is OK if some of my clothes do too!  😃

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I can't remember the last time I saw an iron.  I tried it once and found it to be the best possible example of domestic drudgery.   Of course it is very likely that I was not very good at it.   When I worked and needed stuff ironed, I sent it to the cleaners.  Never expected or wanted Mrs Ldubs to do it.    Now days I figure I got wrinkles and maybe it is OK if some of my clothes do too!  😃

I iron better than the professionals do! Honestly. My mother started me out with Daddy's hankerchiefs and boxer shorts! and pillow cases. I do such a great job that I then hate to wear the clothes 🙂