Do you guys try to do your laundry as soon as you depart ship or wait til you get home?

Trafficatsea

39 minutes ago, clo said:

I iron better than the professionals do! Honestly. My mother started me out with Daddy's hankerchiefs and boxer shorts! and pillow cases. I do such a great job that I then hate to wear the clothes 🙂

Mrs Ldubs comes from a large family (9 kids).  They of course had household chores including the ironing, which was probably never ending for a family that size.  It was pretty hard for her to start paying for what she considered a luxury.  But, I'm pretty sure she got over it without too much pain (😀).  Of course, if we could not have afforded it, then it would be another story.   

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Mrs Ldubs comes from a large family (9 kids).  They of course had household chores including the ironing, which was probably never ending for a family that size.  It was pretty hard for her to start paying for what she considered a luxury.  But, I'm pretty sure she got over it without too much pain (😀).  Of course, if we could not have afforded it, then it would be another story.   

9 is a small family.Both of my parents had 14 siblings.

IF we are going home after a cruise then everything get bunged into the bag.  Clean or otherwise.  Not folded.  When we get home, everything in the bag gets washed. .  Makes for easy/fast packing on our morning.

Since retiring, we seldom go home directly after a cruise .  Typically we have enough laundry done on board to last for a few days when we are doing post cruise travel. 

I use the launderettes a lot on long cruises, as we probably pack for 10 to 12 days. If it's a winter Atlantic crossing, I wash the winter clothes around Madeira, and pack them away until we return, then wash the summer things around the Azores. 😄

We always hope for a dry, blowy day on our return, for the washing line to go out. Not a fan of dryers, but unfortunately they're needed in the UK's climate.

3 hours ago, jocap said:

I use the launderettes a lot on long cruises, as we probably pack for 10 to 12 days. If it's a winter Atlantic crossing, I wash the winter clothes around Madeira, and pack them away until we return, then wash the summer things around the Azores. 😄

We always hope for a dry, blowy day on our return, for the washing line to go out. Not a fan of dryers, but unfortunately they're needed in the UK's climate.

What do you do when on a ship with no launderettes?

Hank

3 hours ago, jocap said:

I assume that's a drying line? And is it in your bathroom? They're not allowed on balconies, are they?

1 hour ago, clo said:

I assume that's a drying line? And is it in your bathroom? They're not allowed on balconies, are they?

I think it is meant as the clothes line at home, not on the ship.   I think I have seen retractable clothes lines in the cabin bathrooms.  For sure I have in hotel rooms.   

We will be doing a 2 week B2B on Odyssey of the Seas out of Ft. Lauderdale October 23rd to November 6th.  About 5 hours later, we will be sailing on Symphony of the Seas out of Miami (about 45 minute drive from Ft. Lauderdale).  Since we will have the time between cruises, I have been thinking about stopping at a laundromat between the two ports to do a couple loads, if we decide not to have it done on board.  I have never done this before, but I am considering it this time.   Royal does not have self service laundry facilities and we won't have the diamond perks until after our third week.  I seem to remember it costing $39 per small bag to have laundry done on board, which by the end of the second week could be a substantial amount. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

I think it is meant as the clothes line at home, not on the ship.   I think I have seen retractable clothes lines in the cabin bathrooms.  For sure I have in hotel rooms.   

Oh, I think you're right. Sorry about that.

I have done laundry on a cruise, but I really don't like doing it.  In fact, I don't like doing laundry at all.  If I have to do wash on a ship it's because the trip is longer than 2 weeks and I've run out of clothes.  So, no I don't do laundry on the ship for the express purpose of arriving home with clean clothes.  In fact, my suitcase usually sits, untouched, for several days after I get home.  I guess I'm hoping for that mythical genie to come and do it.  LOL. Fortunately I have enough clothes that it doesn't matter. 

• Like 1

I don't see the advantage of going out of your way to clean your clothes before you get home. The time and effort to clean your clothes if you do it in Miami vs home isn't going to change and if you have to pay for the laundromat then on top of not saving time and effort you're spending more money. Logistically it doesn't make sense. If you are doing it because psychological it makes you feel good to travel home with a suitcase of clean clothes, then the intangible value that gives you would make it worth the effort. For me I don't get joy out going home with clean clothes so it isn't really something I would do unless there were exceptional circumstances. 

21 hours ago, Hlitner said:

What do you do when on a ship with no launderettes?

Hank

I don't think we've been on a line without for more than 10-12 days, so no problems... we'd hand wash or use the laundry for emergencies (such as the chocolate sauce down OH'S dress shirt!) 😮

I'm always fascinated by the way people think. Unless it's a super-long cruise, I'm not touching laundry on vacation. Time there is limited. There is no point of doing chores. No matter how free it might be. I also don't care for others doing it. Some of those machines are heavy duty and that high heat doesn't help clothes. 

We use ships laundry facilities, hotel laundromats, city laundromats.  

Really...what does it matter what someone else does?  

We are hardly going to pack weeks worth of clothes on each trip. So we pack for six or seven days and then take care of laundry as we go.   And we only travel with travel friendly clothing.  Delicate items do not cut it.  When we hand in our laundry on a ship, hotel, whatever we have no idea how it will be handled.  So everything we pack is designed to withstand the most rigorous laundry facilities!  Or, DW will hand wash it herself.

Pre covid we traveled frequently and for extended periods.  Laundry was never a huge concern.  Somehow we always managed to muddle through and have clean clothes each and every day!

Edited by iancal

On 9/21/2021 at 1:32 PM, Trafficatsea said:

Silly question, but wondering if it'd be worth the time to try to find a hotel that has washer/dryer or a laundromat.  My flight leaves pretty late in the day, leaving me plenty of time.  We'll be coming back into Miami and flight is out of FLL.  😁

No

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I cannot think of one trip, cruise or land, that we have come home with a bag of clean clothes.   Why on earth bother.   When we get home our bag gets dropped in the laundry room-minus the ipad and meds.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

We very seldom waste our time watching our clothes in laudromats. .  Many self serves in Europe have staff who will do it all for you, including iron, for a small additional  price.  Drop it off in the AM, doing some touring, and pick it up in the afternoon.  Last time we did this was in Palermo when we boarding a last minute cruise in Rome the next day.  The owner turned to be a 30 year Boston resident was a fisherman.  Came home to Palermo to retire and bought the business.

We have met some very interesting people in laundromats in Europe   Lot of Aussies.  More than a few times we have bunged in the washing, gone across the street to an outdoor cafe and met people doing the exact same.  Great way to have lunch or a few drinks while killing a load of laundry at the same time.  Traded travel data, tips etc.  The notion that we sit and watch the spin cycle for two hours is just not so. 

In Asia, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, we simply hand it in and pick it up later.  Incredibly inexpensive.

Really, who travels for a month, or two, or three, without having to take of this basic at some point.  Comes down to how you accomplish it.  And where.

Edited by iancal

2 hours ago, iancal said:

Really, who travels for a month, or two, or three, without having to take of this basic at some point.  Comes down to how you accomplish it.  And wher

That's all fine and dandy. But the OP is coming off a cruise and flying home the same day. 🙄

2 hours ago, mom says said:

That's all fine and dandy. But the OP is coming off a cruise and flying home the same day. 🙄

Really.........what on earth is the big deal about doing the wash when you will home in hours.  Home to your own washer/dryer combo.

My guess is that 90 percent of people returning home from a vacation have bags full of dirty laundry.

Not really much of a brain teaser is it?  If you want to do a wash prior to coming home then  do one.  If no, don't.    

Edited by iancal