Will crew come back after their current contracts are up?

fstuff1

Currently, because of Covid, crew arent allowed off the ship except for the free ship sponsored 'crew excursions' (once a cruise), which keeps them away from locals.

but if you're working that morning, you cant go and have to wait till the next cruise for the crew excursion.

Crew arent happy about being cooped up. Plus they cant use free internet hotspots in port because they cant leave the ship.

Some have said they arent coming back once their contracts are up early next year.
(Celebrity started back up in July 2021. Contracts are normally 8-10 months long, depending on job. And a new contact usually starts 2 months after the old one ends.)

Cruise lines are in a no win situation.

It's not like they want to keep crew cooped up and unhappy.

but if crew go out and catch covid, then they will be sent home on the next island AND those in close contact will be quarantined for 14 days.

So the ship loses use of alot of crew if even one gets infected.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Your experience may be different than ours but just off a 21 day  B2B and the crew are very pleased to be back to work and a number I spoke with had asked to extend their contract. 

Many of the crew were able to go to the Beach and they had a ball.   They have a rotation schedule so many get to go on an excursion during their regular shift.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The economic situation in the Philippines is not good, and being able to work on a cruise ship and send money home to the family is as important as always.  And Covid restrictions in the Philippine Islands ["PI"] are very strict, so the ship is a more relaxed environment. 

I did not think to ask, but I suspect that the vaccines provided by the cruise ships are better than those available in the PI (most of my relatives there got one of the Chinese versions, no choice available), so that is probably another advantage to working for the cruise ships.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

……

Crew arent happy about being cooped up. Plus they cant use free internet hotspots in port because they cant leave the ship.

Some have said they arent coming back once their contracts are up early next year.
(Celebrity started back up in July 2021. Contracts are normally 8-10 months long, depending on job. And a new contact usually starts 2 months after the old one ends.)

….

I am currently on the Millennium at the end of the second leg of a B2B.  I am curious as to the source of this statement.  

There are a number of crew on this ship who we have met on prior cruises.  No one has indicated to either me or my husband that they don’t plan to return.  We are being told repeatedly how thrilled they are to be working again, and some have told us about their experiences during the pandemic.  While some were able to find work in their home countries during the global suspension we have been told that those jobs paid substantially less than what they would have earned had they been working for Celebrity.  

• Like 2

I was on the Summit this summer and the crew was happy and proud to be there (one member told my sister that he was very proud to be called back early in the restart process).

I have no idea if they're not planning to come back, but one told me X is much better than the European based line he used to work for.

• Like 1

We were on the Millennium and some of the crew we talked to were worried they would not be offered a contract after their contract was up.   With so many ships not yet in service, they said lots of people are available and that they might rotate some of the crew to try to keep them happy.

In these difficult times I think the two problems cruise  lines will not have is staff recruitment and staff retention….

Firstly, many staff have families relying on their income, what they could earn back home is significantly less.

Secondly, alternative jobs they could look to like hotels are still struggling as many people world wide are not travelling yet either because of restrictions or choice.

Thirdly, cruise lines often offer an opportunity to build a genuine career path which many alternative jobs they could get at home don’t. Chatting with various crew members at all levels over the years many have expressed that not only does the cruise industry offer a career path it offers opportunities to further their language skills, understanding of alternative cultures, opportunities to mix with others…All so useful for furthering your career in any direction.

When we chatted to staff on our recent cruise they were ‘resigned’ to their present terms and conditions. We heard lots of comments about ‘how great it was to be back at work’ but no grumbles.

From our eyes the present restrictions may seem hard for the staff to accept but from a staff perspective not being on board the ship working would be harder still…

Nothing but praise for the genuine warmth we always feel from all the staff at Celebrity, much as we love the ships it is the staff that makes us return!

• Like 1

I think it is probably frowned upon when crew complains about their work experience, and you will never (almost apparently) find one that will do so....regardless of how they may really feel.

In my opinion the original poster's assumptions re likely totally unsupported and merely their own personal thoughts/assumptions.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 11:48 AM, fstuff1 said:

Currently, because of Covid, crew arent allowed off the ship except for the free ship sponsored 'crew excursions' (once a cruise), which keeps them away from locals.

but if you're working that morning, you cant go and have to wait till the next cruise for the crew excursion.

but if crew go out and catch covid, then they will be sent home on the next island AND those in close contact will be quarantined for 14 days.

Yes a concern but I look at it this way.  You speak about some pandemic-related protocol issues the crew is facing in these changed times and we do all feel badly about them being isolated on the ship with less freedom than before in ports.  But they knew about this when they signed up again and boarded and still chose to do so.  They are all vaccinated on most lines and definitely on Celebrity ships and no crew outbreaks reported by Celebrity. So are you speculating that the crew might be unhappy and will not renew their contracts?  Based on hearsay?  Maybe a few will decide against another contract.  But probably not a widespread issue disrupting cruising IMO. 

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes a concern but I look at it this way.  You speak about some pandemic-related protocol issues the crew is facing in these changed times and we do all feel badly about them being isolated on the ship with less freedom than before in ports.  But they knew about this when they signed up again and boarded and still chose to do so.  They are all vaccinated on most lines and definitely on Celebrity ships and no crew outbreaks reported by Celebrity. So are you speculating that the crew might be unhappy and will not renew their contracts?  Based on hearsay?  Maybe a few will decide against another contract.  But probably not a widespread issue disrupting cruising IMO. 

Totally agree and especially considering most (not all) can earn a much better income on a ship than they might at home, allowing to provide better for their families.

Do not know how this might 'fit in'. Chatting with Retreat staff, many veteran Celebrity staff have shorter than normal contracts presently that end this Nov/Dec. Many are hoping they can just get them extended and don't have to take 'a vacation'. The impression we got is that the entire ship's staff contracts are ending  at the same time. Some already know their future positions (like being transferred to the new Beyond). I guess even Capt. Kate will be going to the Beyond. Some still do not know where they will be assigned after the end of this year.

The Eclipse is taking over for the Reflection its present position as the quarantine ship for new arrivals and trainees. Presently crew are being housed individually in passenger cabins on deck 6 Edge. They anticipate roommates once again as the pandemic wains.

The question is who mans the ships if everyone is slated to go home this December ?

On 9/30/2021 at 12:14 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Your experience may be different than ours but just off a 21 day  B2B and the crew are very pleased to be back to work and a number I spoke with had asked to extend their contract. 

Many of the crew were able to go to the Beach and they had a ball.   They have a rotation schedule so many get to go on an excursion during their regular shift.

I experienced the same thing on Equinox in August…they want to be there..

Edited by PTC DAWG

On 9/30/2021 at 11:48 AM, fstuff1 said:

What cruise were you on when you heard complaints?  

8 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

What cruise were you on when you heard complaints?  

According to the vlog posts by Chris Wong, who is currently working on Royal, he is thrilled to be there.  He is so positive and his vlog is fun to watch.

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

According to the vlog posts by Chris Wong, who is currently working on Royal, he is thrilled to be there.  He is so positive and his vlog is fun to watch.

Exactly, OP is just talking out of their #&*.

• Haha 2

Every crew member I spoke to was a lot more concerned about having a job in a month or two than they were about being "cooped up."  I talked to a lot of them, too.  They are good folks who enjoy their jobs and want to work.  I didn't get so much as a whiff of a complaint or a disingenuous answer.  While some of them did enjoy their time off, they want to be there.

The ship was organizing some crew excursions (very bubble), so they are getting off the ship.  The crew also are getting PCR tests every cruise (i.e., twice every 9 or 10 days aboard Summit).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I spoke to 2 crew members of the retreat staff.  Our butler said he'll come back, but he's not sure how soon, since he thinks maybe they will rotate out some staff to bring back others who haven't worked since 2020.  I also asked about the shore time and he said he appreciates being able to relax on the ship and call his family.

Our retreat concierge said that she was home from May of 2020 to June of 2021, and really wanted to be back.  I got no sense that she was eager to end her relationship with cruising.

If this is still going in 4 weeks, I'll ask on the Summit.

We were recently on the Summit and many of the crew told us they do want to return when their contract is up! They stated many crew members are at home waiting to be recalled . They weren’t sure if Celebrity will bring them onboard when their contracts end thereby giving their co-workers chance to make a living also! Number of crew required depends on passenger count!

At each port certain number of the crew can go to the beach in a protected area. Many order necessities via Amazon!

• Like 1

Spoke to staff on the Silhouette and they were very happy being onboard. Our room attendant did have concerns about a contract after the completion of his current one. 

I offered to do some shopping for our room attendant in Liverpool.  He said they could get all they wanted on the ship. 

The cruise lines may have more difficulty attracting doctors and nurses. Likely they will have gained employment immediately on leaving the ships in Spring 2020. One of the attractions for them is the foreign travel. I believe Carnivals brands are improving their packages accordingly although I have no knowledge of RCLs plans to recruit this ‘in demand’ group.

4 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Has the OP cruised recently and had a chance to discuss this with any crew?  Or are these just surmises?

This person just likes to stir the pot.  you should see the ice cream vs gelato thread.

What other jobs are the crew going to if they do not come back.  It's not like they get paid by there government to sit on butts.✌️

On 10/1/2021 at 5:33 AM, earlydiner said:

We were on the Millennium and some of the crew we talked to were worried they would not be offered a contract after their contract was up. 

This the reason that crew are desperate for positive feedback on the survey at the end of the cruise.