Points for a solo cruiser

rsail203

I believe in the past I read about solo cruisers getting double points. I've booked my first Royal solo cruise on an Anthem balcony. The price seems to be for just one person, so please clear up my confusion, will I be getting double points for this cruise? This is important as I'm getting close to Diamond +.

Also, since I've taken more Royal cruise than my wife, would she be Diamond +, when I'm Diamond+.

8 minutes ago, rsail203 said:

I believe in the past I read about solo cruisers getting double points. I've booked my first Royal solo cruise on an Anthem balcony. The price seems to be for just one person, so please clear up my confusion, will I be getting double points for this cruise? This is important as I'm getting close to Diamond +.

Also, since I've taken more Royal cruise than my wife, would she be Diamond +, when I'm Diamond+.

Double points run until December 31 I think.  I just sailed solo to Alaska on Ovation for 7 nights last month and received 14 points so if your cruise is before December 31, you will certainly get double points Im pretty sure even if you booked only yourself to the cabin.

Edited by ryano

10 minutes ago, rsail203 said:

The price seems to be for just one person, so please clear up my confusion, will I be getting double points for this cruise? 

Depends on when you booked. If you booked before 9/30 for a sailing before 12/31/22, you'd get double the points normally for a solo in a double occupancy cabin.

Your wife will have the same status as you.

Edited by Biker19

13 minutes ago, rsail203 said:

You will get an extra point per night as a solo IF you booked in a double-occupancy room (not a solo balcony room).

If you booked prior to September 30, 2021 and the cruise is before December 2022, you will get 2x whatever points you would qualify for.

• Like 1

I booked as a solo, after Sept. 30th, in a double occupancy cabin for 7 days, but cruising before Dec. 31st, so I assume that means I'll get 14 points. The price for a balcony cabin was only $845, which is why I feel that they didn't charge me double.

I sailed on Anthem last month. My points have since been added. However Royal has only given me 14 instead of 28. I sailed solo in a balcony cabin midship for £823. I have emailed crown and anchor who are looking into my missing points. They say it will take a few weeks to get back to me. I booked August 28th and sailed September 12th.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rsail203 said:

I booked as a solo, after Sept. 30th, in a double occupancy cabin for 7 days, but cruising before Dec. 31st, so I assume that means I'll get 14 points. The price for a balcony cabin was only $845, which is why I feel that they didn't charge me double.

Correct on points. RCI does have some sailings/cabins on which they don't charge a 200% solo supplement - you happened to find one.

4 minutes ago, rsail203 said:

You say you booked after sept 30, after the promotion ended, so yes regular solo pts. Not double.

Good price though for a balcony. I dont see any of those prices or I'd be tempted to book more. I'm also watching JS, as JS gets one more pt per day. 

41 minutes ago, ryano said:

Double points run until December 31 I think.  I just sailed solo to Alaska on Ovation for 7 nights last month and received 14 points so if your cruise is before December 31, you will certainly get double points Im pretty sure even if you booked only yourself to the cabin.

If you booked your cabin before Sept 30 ( which I know you did),and you were solo, you should have gotten 28 points for 7 days. I’m on a B2B on Ovation and they only gave me 14 for 1st week, and I’m sure will mess up this week also. Should be 28 each week...4 points per night

Solos in a double occupancy cabin always get 2 points a night without any promotion.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

If you booked your cabin before Sept 30 ( which I know you did),and you were solo, you should have gotten 28 points for 7 days. I’m on a B2B on Ovation and they only gave me 14 for 1st week, and I’m sure will mess up this week also. Should be 28 each week...4 points per night

Solos in a double occupancy cabin always get 2 points a night without any promotion.

I wasnt booked solo in double occupancy unfortunately.  The second guest was a no show 🙂    28 sure would be nice though!  

• Like 1

If you booked a Studio cabin it's just single points for a solo.

If you booked a regular double occupancy cabin that can accommodate two guests as a solo you will get double points.

The different and temporary double points promo is over for eligibility purposes.  That other promo required making a booking before Sept. 30, 2021.  So that promo is not in effect if you booked after Sept. 30, 2021.

27 minutes ago, ryano said:

I wasnt booked solo in double occupancy unfortunately.  The second guest was a no show 🙂    28 sure would be nice though!  

Bummer. At least yours was correct. I figured they wouldn’t get mine right. 😉

Edited by crzndeb

1 hour ago, rsail203 said:

Is it a studio or priced as a solo  for a  double occupancy cabin.  The reason is that in late  August and early September, RCL was having an unadvertised sale in which doubles were being priced as a solo Pax.  I took advantage of my January 22 Allure sail and saved some $500 and on my CP balcony adn getting 4X points.

3 hours ago, ryano said:

I've seen many people post on here that if the second guest was a no show that you should get solo points. But since it wasn't originally booked you usually have to call to get the right points. 

Incorrect:

3 hours ago, twangster said:

If you booked a regular double occupancy cabin that can accommodate two guests as a solo you will get double points.

Correct:

4 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

You will get an extra point per night as a solo IF you booked in a double-occupancy room (not a solo balcony room).

Sure, in a non-suite, there's no difference

(1 + 1) = (1 * 2)

But if you book a suite solo, it is 3, not 4. This was discussed a lot with the double points promo, as a solo in a suite with the double points ends up as 6 not 8.

(2 + 1)  * 2 = 6

It is not:

(2 * 2) * 2 = 8 <--no!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RobInMN said:

But if you book a suite solo, it is 3, not 4. This was discussed a lot with the double points promo, as a solo in a suite with the double points ends up as 6 not 8.

(2 + 1)  * 2 = 6

It is not:

(2 * 2) * 2 = 8 <--no!

Hush with your Cruise Critic/Common Core math 😂😂😂

1 minute ago, RobInMN said:

Incorrect:

Correct:

Sure, in a non-suite, there's no difference

(1 + 1) = (1 * 2)

(2 + 1)  * 2 = 6

It is not:

(2 * 2) * 2 = 8 <--no!

Emphasis on regular double occupancy cabin.

47 minutes ago, twangster said:

Emphasis on regular double occupancy cabin.

It's still a valid semantical differentiation. It's 1 additional point, not double points.

Sure, if you are starting at 1, you get the same end result. But that difference in semantics causes confusion on behalf of people thinking it is "double" and a lot of CC posts straightening them out.😉

Edited by RobInMN
  • Like 1

I don't think there was a semantics difference in what @twangstersaid though. 

I would not assume it is 2*2*2, I would assume it is 1*2, 2*2 and 3*2

As its based it is double what you get, that's all. If people don't understand basic math and can't comprehend...that's on them. 

19 hours ago, rsail203 said:

Points are given based on room type and booking type, not the price paid.  If you got a sale and no Single Supplement was charged even though you're in a double occupancy balcony room, you will get two points per night.

• Like 1