World cruise on Serenade

Mail - have it sent to a child or other relative.  That is what we do now as we do not live in the US.  We are expats.  Bills - we pay all ours online.  Housesitting is an option.  If the thought of being away so long causes you anxiety then this is not for you.  I could not be gone that long so I know this is not for me.  As far as thieves breaking into my house.  That could happen if you are gone for the day.  Take anything of worth to a relatives house for safekeeping or get a storage shed.  If this is something you want to do then don't let the worries stop you.  I wish that I could do it - but can't 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Sunset Glow said:

My biggest concern with this is that Royal does not have self-serve laundry facilities. I know you can pay for them to do your laundry but it is costly and every time I've used it before I was not satisfied with the results - I prefer to do my own. 

Find a local laundromat - coin operated laundry. I have sensitive skin so I have to use my own laundry detergent. Another item to add to the list of logistics. 

My hubs is in love with this cruise. But we are just 48 and have many years before he retires. And doubt the internet is decent enough to work on the cruise.

But we have 2 homes. One is a vacay villa. We stay there 4-5 months a year and rent it out the rest so we would just rent the full year that year. And then maybe sell the main house. Mt husband's work has gone full WFH since Covid so we can live anywhere and would not live here as a first choice so....sell and world cruise and then re-evaluate where to live.

But we also don't want to be stuck in an inside that long. Would want a balcony but maybe could manage a window. Very pricey though. And we have a 15 year old dog and mid 70 parents who have health issues. Cards stacked against us for this one. But good to hear there will likely be another.

Edited by laumicmah

Oh...forgot..some questions...

Is drink package included?

Are upgrade restaurants includes?

Some excursions are included?

Airfare, hotel and transport is included as well as wash and fold laundry, right?

Edited by laumicmah

2 hours ago, Gen X Life said:

It is a GREAT Itinerary!!!  4 Segments; 2 that are outstanding!!  Dream cruise!! But they do not have pricing for Segments that I can find.  

Anyone find Segment Pricing?  We were looking for 2024 or 2025 world cruise as a 6 month vacation, semi-retirement for my husband, BUT THIS CRUISE IS FABULOUS!!

$100,000.00 for a Balcony, that is about the same price as some Luxury lines on much smaller ships for 100 + days less... Something to consider.

Buy 1 or 2 Segments , Middle East Treasures (44 Destinations) and Wonders of the Orient ( 40 Destinations) look Amazing!!!

If anyone finds out Segment prices please post!!!

Segment pricing won't be out until the segments become available in December.

26 minutes ago, laumicmah said:

Airfare, hotel and transport is included as well as wash and fold laundry, right?

I do not drink and forgot to ask... sorry!

We have been seriously looking into doing a world cruise in the future,  (we are 40's and 50's but may do a 6 month in 2-3 yrs) and have been checking all the lines for what they offer versus cost BUT this really seems like my DREAM itinerary for a Great price...

Just came up too soon and a little too long in duration.

Make sure you get your Platinum Status in before you book, if you are serious, because they are offering special perks for Platinum and above only.

RCL should do a shorter World type Cruise , Exotic Hemisphere Cruises  (Like Princess and HAL) - Cheaper and shorter duration to try out.

45 minutes ago, laumicmah said:

All of the details are on their site and the main thread about this listed in Post 2.

3 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Wash N Fold is included. Everything washed together in hot water and dried in a hot dryer. Previous experiences with Wash N Fold make it OK for cotton underwear and socks but I wouldn't use it for my clothes.  

Ok, now it’s not so appealing. The wash and fold is terrible. No thanks☹️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'd be worried thieves would walk off with everything in my house. I worry about leaving for 2 weeks. Wonder how people can arrange to leave their lives for 9 months.

You could AIrBnB or VRBO out your house. Hire someone you trust to act as property manager for a percentage. The profit might pay for your taxes and gratuities! 😀

7 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Just some random thoughts for discussion:

* Mail...thinking we can get a friend or neighbor to help.This would work, but you could also just have your mail forwarded to them for the 10 months.

* Bills...just about all of it can be paid online. 

* IRS/taxes...can be done online but have never done it this way. File an extension and pay the taxes when you get back.

* Pets Find a foster home for your pets.

* Indoor plants Find a foster home for your plants.

* House and garden...can you really leave them alone for that long?...I suppose a relative or friend can house sit. I have left my home for up to 6 months several times.  Clorox in the toilets, automatic lights on/off to keep bad guys away, put the car battery on a charger that's plugged into a wall socket, thermostat at appropriate temp if you live in a freeze zone. Have someone go in once a week to check.

* Prescriptions...I can ask my doctor to authorize a year's worth of prescriptions in advance. My HMO won't do that, but they will give a vacation supply.  You'll have to work out a mail order every 3 months, and I'm sure RCCL will have something set up for this and other mail/package delivery. Or, just take the prescription with you, have it filled, and file a claim for reimbursement, explaining you're on an extended trip.

* Medical lab test...could be done onboard. Yes, or see when the itinerary takes you somewhere there's a location for your health plan, if possible.

* Dentist Go just before you leave, and just after you get back.

* Lastly...and it's a scary thought...what if there's a death in the family and you have to get home? Travel insurance, and go back to the ship afterwards.  Check your credit card, as Chase Bank offers trip interruption/cancellation benefits.

Edited by pcur

I've done a 180 night on Oceania so have bit of exp. even thou it is a very different cruise line.  

In guessing at an est price of excursions much depends on the type of activities and how you book them.  Oceania provided a shuttle to the main town in many ports - not sure about RC doing that.

We had a very active roll call with many tours that saved big $$.  If you want to customize private tours for 2 in most ports that will add up big time.  In ports where you dock over night you have the option to stay at a hotel in town giving you more time to enjoy the sites but more $$.

In the meantime, look for voyages that cover some of the areas the w/c is going and view the excursions available - this would give a good idea of the type and price or tours that will be available you a good number of the ports.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, laumicmah said:

Yes.

No.

Yes.  

Yes.

5 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Are TA's able to book this cruise ?  I thought it was only direct through Royal at this point.

You could book it and then transfer to your TA within the time frame allowed to do that couldn't you?

2 minutes ago, Ashland said:

In regards to your answer to question #2...

Wouldn't the C&A level drink vouchers work?

Of course unless their not valid or offered.

Yes, but that benefit is basically subsumed into the Unlimited Drink Package, don't you agree?   🙂

6 minutes ago, Ashland said:

You could book it and then transfer to your TA within the time frame allowed to do that couldn't you?

I have received two different answers to this question.  And this is to be expected, since we are talking about Royal Caribbean.  😉

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Yes, but that benefit is basically subsumed into the Unlimited Drink Package, don't you agree?   🙂

The voucher's have nothing to do with the UDP as you know. So it was my thought that perhaps they might work out for some.

Wow - the trip sounds amazing.  But I cannot possibly imagine being away from my family for 27 days, much less 274 days.  What is your family situation that you are comfortable with being out of touch for so long?  Please don’t read the response as snarky or sad - I am just curious.

wow

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ashland said:

The voucher's have nothing to do with the UDP as you know. So it was my thought that perhaps they might work out for some.

Wait, I'm confused now.  I used the wrong terminology, but the OP's #2 asked whether specialty dining was included as a perk.  That was my answer "no".

So why did you ask about vouchers?

8 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Wash N Fold is included. Everything washed together in hot water and dried in a hot dryer. Previous experiences with Wash N Fold make it OK for cotton underwear and socks but I wouldn't use it for my clothes.  

Agree, can't use it for nice things anyway but few my Colored T-shirts and Drawers ended up Fading

10 hours ago, Gen X Life said:

Get a house sitter, property manager or move to a better neighborhood if you are so worried about thieves... LOL!

Get a mail opening service or have your mail forwarded to your accountant or child with a limited power of attorney.  

VPN for all over the world internet - Bill pay online ( Give child access), Zoom meetings.

Put X amount of $$ in a new bank account with child/your names on for emergency fund.

People live and work from all over the world and tele-commute in todays world.

Seriously??!! Lol great if this works for you. Do it. Enjoy the cruise.

I made a statement not a question how I can barely leave for 2 weeks for many reasons. You tell me sell my house?? I'm afraid to say my elderly parents depend on me also is why I cant be gone for long. No telling the unsoliticied advise I'd get. Ha.

I'm amazed how people can go off so long.  Sure would be a dream cruise if not for life and responsibilities I cant walk away from. Truly I'd love to go. When I say impossible for me, it's a fact, not asking for advice. Lol. 

I hope you take your own advice and take this cruise. Enjoy. Seriously you would sell your house to take a cruise? .. cc members are cruise addicts indeed. It sure sounds like a great cruise. I'll enjoy reading about it and maybe some live reports. 

• Like 1