CDC Extends CSO through Jan 15, 2022

Ken the cruiser

14 hours ago, CHOPPERTESTER said:

CDC going the wrong way.

Once youth vaccine is approved then can only sail with 100% vaccinated except for medical exemption (contradiction to vaccine). Sorry kiddies under 5. Get rid of mask and distancing. Get back to normal cruising.

I  couldn't disagree with you more.  I am double vaccinated and last week I contracted Covid-19 from my one year old grandson!!!  If cruising means going on a ship with fellow passengers who have such a flagrant disregard for other people, not to mention children, then I'm canceling my reservation.

• Thanks 1

I just saw this on their website so I think the rapid will be fine.

All vaccinated guests 12 years and older must present a negative Covid-19 test result taken as either as an Antigen or PCR test conducted within two days of embarkation and complete a health questionnaire prior to sailing.

Baggal quoted, 

"I  couldn't disagree with you more.  I am double vaccinated and last week I contracted Covid-19 from my one year old grandson!!!  If cruising means going on a ship with fellow passengers who have such a flagrant disregard for other people, not to mention children, then I'm canceling my reservation."

What disregard? I agree with you. All passengers should be vaccinated. Sorry those under 5 shouldn't/can't sail. Sorry you caught Covid from your 1 year old grandson.  Hope it wasn't a significant illness and recovery was swift.

Edited by CHOPPERTESTER

In my opinion, I can't see testing requirements going away any time in the future.

Remember how back in school the whole class would be punished or have strict rules be put in place because of the behavior of a few students?

As long as a cruise line has ships sailing from ports in a location in which there is a strong anti vaccine sentiment at the highest level of the locale's government, non-existent public health measures such as masking and social distancing, and a high infectivity rate or knowledge of new variations now present in those locations, the cruise lines will  have to maintain their own controls to try and avoid an outbreak on the ships.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Check out pages 20-22 of the CDC CSO Extension document. Quite an interesting accumulation of infection data collected from a variety of cruise ships between Jun 22 - Oct 21.

CDC-CSO-Extension-10-25-21-p.pdf

What?  Cruise ship A, cruise ship B, cruise ship C .... isn't this information a matter of public record?

Just now, canderson said:

What?  Cruise ship A, cruise ship B, cruise ship C .... isn't this information a matter of public record?

I have to admit it would be interesting to hear which ships those were, but I doubt we ever will.

I do remember when we were on our Edge B3B back in August we heard about the COVID infections on the Carnival Vista where 1 passenger and around 20 crew members tested positive. I also remember when we were in Nassau (on each leg) and no one was allowed off the Edge unless they were booked on one of Celebrity's "bubble" excursions while at the same time passengers on both a Carnival ship as well as a RCCL ship docked next to us on separate visits were allowed to freely roam around the city and take private excursions. 

25 minutes ago, canderson said:

If not, I'm sure this group is smart enough to sleuth it out.

I'd guess Ship D was the Edge.

Edited by Team Stag

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

In my opinion, I can't see testing requirements going away any time in the future.

Remember how back in school the whole class would be punished or have strict rules be put in place because of the behavior of a few students?

As long as a cruise line has ships sailing from ports in a location in which there is a strong anti vaccine sentiment at the highest level of the locale's government, non-existent public health measures such as masking and social distancing, and a high infectivity rate or knowledge of new variations now present in those locations, the cruise lines will  have to maintain their own controls to try and avoid an outbreak on the ships.

I agree with the first point as there is really no downside to cruise ships doing this, with the exception (which I think is very minor) of a handful of people not cruising because they don't like the hassle of testing.

As to the last paragraph, I think this has very little to do with anything as it relates to Florida specifically.  The virus is still spreading all over the US.  My state has a very high vaccination rate, as well as a very low infection rate, and still people are catching the virus and some are still dying.  People cruising come from all over the country, as well as the world as those entry restrictions open up, and many states have records equally as bad (or close to it) as Florida.  In point of fact, when I traveled to Florida last year in place of a cancelled cruise, I found the Brevard and Broward counties quite diligent about requiring masks, social distancing, etc.., likely in defiance of their state rules.  Don't misunderstand, I'm not supporting Florida's lack of virus control at the top, but I think to blame that area specifically as the cause for continuing testing is inaccurate.

11 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Has the Edge crew been allowed to go ashore yet? When we were on our Edge B3B in August, they had not yet been allowed to go ashore since they first boarded.

The ship has done some short (2hr) crew only excursions for some crew.  Many haven’t had their turn yet.  We were also told that small numbers are taken to a store where they can shop for personal items they may need.

Just now, jelayne said:

The ship has done some short (2hr) crew only excursions for some crew.  Many haven’t had their turn yet.  We were also told that small numbers are taken to a store where they can shop for personal items they may need.

I just remember when we were on our August B3B and our maitre d' as well as the staff were so looking forward to finally being able to go ashore for the first time when we were to dock at the next port. Then the word came down about the Carnival Vista and the 1 passenger and 20+ crew members that tested positive for COVID the previous week and those plans were subsequently nixed by the Captain. We could just sense their sadness. Glad to hear they are finally able to go ashore again even if it's in a "bubble" environment.

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I just remember when we were on our August B3B and our maitre d' as well as the staff were so looking forward to finally being able to go ashore for the first time when we were to dock at the next port. Then the word came down about the Carnival Vista and the 1 passenger and 20+ crew members that tested positive for COVID the previous week and those plans were subsequently nixed by the Captain. We could just sense their sadness. Glad to hear they are finally able to go ashore again even if it's in a "bubble" environment.

I feel so bad for them being so restricted.  I hope things continue to get better for them even if, as you say, it's a 'bubble' environment.  I can't even imagine being on a ship, working those hours, living in those small cabins and never being able to get out on land.

• Like 2

Keep in mind that voluntary does not mean that they can just ignore the guidelines. Cruise lines have been voluntarily participating in the Noro virus program for years. If I recall correctly there are other programs as well that are technically voluntary but all followed by the cruise lines as if they were mandated.

A friend is on one of the Celebrity ships.  He said that the only crew excursion that has been offered has been a couple of hours at a beach.  Since he isn't a beach person, he declined to go.  While he is rather bummed out about not being allowed off the ship, he is THRILLED to be working and having an income.  So much, that he already extended his current contract, and put in for a short leave at the end of it, then a new one. 

15 hours ago, micruiser2002 said:

The problem is this says "Should" not "MUST" get tested.  A lot of people keep saying the cruise lines are doing what the CDC has mandated and I would just like to see where it has been mandated.  If it is the cruise lines that are requiring this then they should be transparent about that.  With the holidays coming up I believe it is going to become very difficult to get a covid test within 2 days of sailing.  Even the at home tests are limited and the ones I got expire in mid December and that is with a extension.  I only see 1 company who has the allowed at home testing which also makes this more difficult.

I believe the testing requirement being reduced from 3 days prior, to 2, is because you can now get tested with results available in as little as an hour.  Therefore, testing prior to sailing should be fairly simple. With Walgreens, CVS, airports and private companies all offering a 24 hour or less turnaround time, even the holidays should not present an issue. The at-home kits with emed are 24/7, 365, so no issues there either.

18 hours ago, glmacruise said:

Long as they keep the no mask thing I’ll sail on Celebrity 🙂

That was the big thing for us. We're fully vaccinated, will get the booster when we can, but I'm not masking up on a vacation on the ship. I just can't. I'll push the cruise out further if we need to. ☹️

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, gabbygrrl said:

I believe the testing requirement being reduced from 3 days prior, to 2, is because you can now get tested with results available in as little as an hour.  Therefore, testing prior to sailing should be fairly simple. With Walgreens, CVS, airports and private companies all offering a 24 hour or less turnaround time, even the holidays should not present an issue. The at-home kits with emed are 24/7, 365, so no issues there either.

Completely understand why it is needed but also realistic on the limitations.  Not all pharmacy locations provide the rapid tests.  There have also been reported issues with CVS cancelling appointments for testing the day before because of lack of tests.  Emed has been out of the 6 pack of tests for weeks now and the 2 pack/3 pack tests that are available expire mid December.   I have also tried to find any other company that does the proctored at home test and right now Abbott/Emed is the only option.  I did purchase the 2 pack to have as back up if I cannot get an appointment at one of my local pharmacies.  I just feel the 3 days at least gave a little bit of extra time and then potential to use the PCR test that takes longer.

15 minutes ago, gabbygrrl said:

But there has been no information from the CDC or anyone else stating either how many positive cases were caught with 3-day testing OR how many MORE cases were caught with 2-day testing.  

I would argue that it's worse at 2-day.

2-day testing almost forces rapid testing which is downright horrible at pre-symptomatic false negatives.  They generally don't meet WHO recommendations for accuracy.   In short, rapid tests miss a LOT of positives.  

3-day testing gives a LOT more time for doing a PCR test, which gives far fewer false negatives.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I agree with the first point as there is really no downside to cruise ships doing this, with the exception (which I think is very minor) of a handful of people not cruising because they don't like the hassle of testing.

As to the last paragraph, I think this has very little to do with anything as it relates to Florida specifically.  The virus is still spreading all over the US.  My state has a very high vaccination rate, as well as a very low infection rate, and still people are catching the virus and some are still dying.  People cruising come from all over the country, as well as the world as those entry restrictions open up, and many states have records equally as bad (or close to it) as Florida.  In point of fact, when I traveled to Florida last year in place of a cancelled cruise, I found the Brevard and Broward counties quite diligent about requiring masks, social distancing, etc.., likely in defiance of their state rules.  Don't misunderstand, I'm not supporting Florida's lack of virus control at the top, but I think to blame that area specifically as the cause for continuing testing is inaccurate.

I'm not traveling anywhere that still has rules about masks etc...I can tolerate it I suppose in the terminal, but that's about it.  

Edited by PTC DAWG

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Check out pages 20-22 of the CDC CSO Extension document. Quite an interesting accumulation of infection data collected from a variety of cruise ships between Jun 22 - Oct 21.

CDC-CSO-Extension-10-25-21-p.pdf

Thanks Ken, that is extremely interesting to me, and raises a number of questions.

The last outbreak that is detailed ended on Sept 7, but CDC states the data is of Oct 21 - does that mean the data is just incomplete or that there have only been isolated cases over the last 6 weeks? This data demonstrates how extremely infectious Delta is and how easy it is to spread a respiratory infection on a cruise ship. One super important data point not given is the total number of passengers for any of the outbreaks or total number overall. Another interesting thing to note would be is there any evidence of sustained transmission from a vaccinated person - it only takes that vaccinated person reaching one unvaccinated person to potentially cause sustained transmission, but vaccinated people still aren’t as likely to pass it on,

Finally, and likely most important to cruisers, can the industry live with 38 medical evacs over those 3-4 months? I don’t know if Celeb is unusual in covering the evac for Covid, but it is very reassuring.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cangelmd said:

Thanks Ken, that is extremely interesting to me, and raises a number of questions.

The last outbreak that is detailed ended on Sept 7, but CDC states the data is of Oct 21 - does that mean the data is just incomplete or that there have only been isolated cases over the last 6 weeks? This data demonstrates how extremely infectious Delta is and how easy it is to spread a respiratory infection on a cruise ship. One super important data point not given is the total number of passengers for any of the outbreaks or total number overall. Another interesting thing to note would be is there any evidence of sustained transmission from a vaccinated person - it only takes that vaccinated person reaching one unvaccinated person to potentially cause sustained transmission, but vaccinated people still aren’t as likely to pass it on,

Finally, and likely most important to cruisers, can the industry live with 38 medical evacs over those 3-4 months? I don’t know if Celeb is unusual in covering the evac for Covid, but it is very reassuring.

I think Celebrity (or Royal at the corporate umbrella) is the only one doing the evac home.  I thought Carnival was kicking people off in port to fend for themselves.