Options for Covid test pre=cruise

Nebr.cruiser

I asked this on my rollcall as well but wondering if anybody here may know? My question is: is  the NAAT test acceptable three days ahead of time (required for transatlantic)  since it is a PCR test? I called Celebrity and all they could say was it had to be a PCR test to be three days ahead of time. It is listed as that also but not the main PCR test. Thanks in advance!

Just heard that NCL has suspended all testing beginning tomorrow.  I wonder if Celebrity will follow.  We will be testing on the 11th for a 10 day cruise on the Edge on the 14th.  One day more and we still must test!!  A 9 day cruise does not require a test!!  Fingers crossed that Celebrity follows NCL.  

11 hours ago, rohudd1 said:

Just heard that NCL has suspended all testing beginning tomorrow.  I wonder if Celebrity will follow.  We will be testing on the 11th for a 10 day cruise on the Edge on the 14th.  One day more and we still must test!!  A 9 day cruise does not require a test!!  Fingers crossed that Celebrity follows NCL.  

Hoping here also.  

Cheers

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As of this moment, Celebrity website indicates Self Testing is acceptable:

Beginning with departures on September 5, 2022:

All travelers, regardless of vaccination status, can cruise with us on sailings departing from U.S. and Europe ports.

Testing protocols will ease on our U.S. and Europe sailings.
- We will begin accepting self-tests on sailings from U.S. and Europe sailings.

Under Celebrity FAQ, the following definition of Self Testing is given:

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests and we accept either one: 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test (RAT)
  • For sailings from a U.S. port that visit Canada or Bermuda; from Iceland and from the Galapagos, the test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth representative.
    • You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes provider name, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Handwritten doctor’s notes will not be accepted.
  • For sailings from U.S. Ports that do NOT visit Canada or Bermuda and for some Europe sailings, any commercially available test, including self-tests, are accepted. In Europe, the exception to this is any sailing visiting Greece, which requires a supervised antigen test.
  • For sailings in Australia/New Zealand, PCR tests must be taken in a laboratory; Antigen/RAT tests may be self-tests and do not have to be monitored.

So, if I'm understanding above, a Caribbean cruise departing from Florida requires only that I complete a self administered test? How do I show results? Do I keep the display stick result to show them? (That seems a little nuts!)

1 hour ago, Tamara2cruise said:

Under Celebrity FAQ, the following definition of Self Testing is given:

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests and we accept either one: 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test (RAT)
  • For sailings from a U.S. port that visit Canada or Bermuda; from Iceland and from the Galapagos, the test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth representative.
    • You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes provider name, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Handwritten doctor’s notes will not be accepted.
  • For sailings from U.S. Ports that do NOT visit Canada or Bermuda and for some Europe sailings, any commercially available test, including self-tests, are accepted. In Europe, the exception to this is any sailing visiting Greece, which requires a supervised antigen test.
  • For sailings in Australia/New Zealand, PCR tests must be taken in a laboratory; Antigen/RAT tests may be self-tests and do not have to be monitored.

So, if I'm understanding above, a Caribbean cruise departing from Florida requires only that I complete a self administered test? How do I show results? Do I keep the display stick result to show them? (That seems a little nuts!)

You can take a picture of the results and show that if asked.

45 minutes ago, Tamara2cruise said:

@colliercruiser That seems performative at best, (how could they possibly know that it was me that actually took the test?), so it begs the question of why are they even bothering?

Good question.  My guess is that this is an “honor system” transition to dropping testing requirements altogether.

When we checked in for our October 3 sailing which only required one of these “non-proctored” tests, I showed the picture of the results to the staff person.  She said “where is the date?”, so I showed her the date stamp on the iPhone picture.  She was good with that… but, of course, that is only the date the picture was taken and not necessarily the date of the test. 🙄

1 hour ago, colliercruiser said:

Good question.  My guess is that this is an “honor system” transition to dropping testing requirements altogether.

When we checked in for our October 3 sailing which only required one of these “non-proctored” tests, I showed the picture of the results to the staff person.  She said “where is the date?”, so I showed her the date stamp on the iPhone picture.  She was good with that… but, of course, that is only the date the picture was taken and not necessarily the date of the test. 🙄

I checked in for my Equinox sailing on September 26th and asked her if she wanted to see the date test taken and she said NO

• Like 1

I'm leaving on one of those sailings that calls at Bermuda tomorrow.  I had a terrible time getting a test.  Had an appointment at Walgreens.  When I showed up at my appointed time, they announced they weren't doing tests!  Finally found Med Express which is very professional and only charged me my usual co pay.  If you have them in your city, I would highly recommend them.  Results in 15 minutes.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, colliercruiser said:

I just finished slogging through threads on ‘how do I sneak booze onboard?’, ‘I insist on wearing shorts, t-shirt and ballcap into dinner’, ‘Can I order a premium drink for my wife and use my premium card and not get one for her? , so I just got to this post about the ‘Honor System’….I agree, but find it interesting this is a phrase that All of us CruiseCritic posters will of course follow….yeah. 

Den

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Denny01 said:

I just finished slogging through threads on ‘how do I sneak booze onboard?’, ‘I insist on wearing shorts, t-shirt and ballcap into dinner’, ‘Can I order a premium drink for my wife and use my premium card and not get one for her? , so I just got to this post about the ‘Honor System’….I agree, but find it interesting this is a phrase that All of us CruiseCritic posters will of course follow….yeah. 

Den

Oh no!  Not another thread from Denny???  😭

Well call the doctor because I’ll be laughing too hard and I’ll pull a muscle.  🙂🥸🙂

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

Oh no!  Not another thread from Denny???  😭

Well call the doctor because I’ll be laughing too hard and I’ll pull a muscle.  🙂🥸🙂

I just cant control myself!! 

You just gave me an idea! My wife has been having back pains and Ive been pressing on various spots, trying to help……I wonder if the pain is because I’m soooooo funny and she laughs and pulls a muscle!?!?

…..well, maybe Not considering she doesnt spend any time ‘laughing’ but instead is giving me that very cold roll of the eyes….Oh well, just an idea.

den

2 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

I just cant control myself!! 

You just gave me an idea! My wife has been having back pains and Ive been pressing on various spots, trying to help……I wonder if the pain is because I’m soooooo funny and she laughs and pulls a muscle!?!?

…..well, maybe Not considering she doesnt spend any time ‘laughing’ but instead is giving me that very cold roll of the eyes….Oh well, just an idea.

den

Maybe you’re in one of those episodes where you think everyone finds you funny?  It’s my normal condition.

On 10/1/2022 at 11:54 PM, IZZYDAD said:

Has anyone used the testing center in the Barcelona airport? Just wondering how it work out any problems.?

We did, easy! https://flycovidtestcenter.com/en/ Choose the Catalunya location.

Remember that although you make your individual appointments 15 minutes apart in sequence (if there is more than one of you) but you can show up & sign in together. The one thing to anticipate is there may be a longish line for folks who did not reserve and purchase the test in advance. Don't panic; just go to the front and they will direct you to your much shorter line!

But you may still encounter a little wait even if you arrived for your appointment on time. So I would head over there a bit ahead of your scheduled time.

They will need your passport when you sign in and verify that you purchased the test. Do not lose the paper they give you when you sign in;  there's a bar code on it which they scan during the actual test. 

You can leave after they swab you--go get coffee or whatever. Then in 30 min or so, your results will show up in two forms: as a QR code (to scan on your phone) and as an email. 

The other thing to know: because they do the tests in both the arrivals and departures terminals, you may have to drag your luggage with you, depending on your situation. We couldn't check our luggage back to the US without having our test results to show at the counter, so had to manage all our luggage for that hour or so (including in the line and at the testing clinic), and went ahead and secured a cart immediately. 

But if you are getting tested upon arrival before boarding a ship, the situation may be different (we used Verify in the US plus the required Spanish form to enter the country). I don't know about collecting luggage at baggage claim prior to testing in arrivals. I think the website has good FAQs.

Edited by sofietucker

Have friends sailing on the Edge TA cruise that need a proctored test.  They were going to use Onpoint testing but their site seems to be down. Did they go away?  Any suggestions for online proctored testing?  They don't have emed kits with them.  Just the ones they brought with them from Costco.  

1 hour ago, FFMilesJunkie said:

Have friends sailing on the Edge TA cruise that need a proctored test.  They were going to use Onpoint testing but their site seems to be down. Did they go away?  Any suggestions for online proctored testing?  They don't have emed kits with them.  Just the ones they brought with them from Costco.  

Onpoint has been unreliable/unresponsive lately. Your friends can try rapidtestandtrace.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We used Rapid Test and Trace Oct. 14 and they were outstanding! when I had problems connecting, they responded immediately to my email. When my friend was able to connect for her appointment that person was able to supervise both of us at the same time.  The person who responded to my inability to connect stayed available until everything was done and verified. 

1 hour ago, Wolf 8 said:

Today the Celebrity site homepage has an announcement that Covid-19 tests are no longer required for cruises departing from U.S. ports after 11/2/22.  Did I just make your day or what?

There are some exceptions. It works for our 10 Day November 21, 2022 Cruise.

At a Glance

Beginning with departures on November 2, 2022:

All travelers, regardless of vaccination status, are welcome to cruise with us and will no longer be required to provide proof of pre-departure testing, except for specific sailings where vaccination, testing, or additional documentation are required by law. Exceptions currently include:

Bermuda Itineraries

Galapagos Itineraries

Australia New Zealand Itineraries

Transatlantic/Transpacific Crossings

Select Caribbean Itineraries (those visiting Haiti (Labadee) and Turks & Caicos)

Select Central and South America Itineraries (those visiting Honduras, Colombia, Brazil, and Chile)

Please visit our Country Travel Requirements for more information regarding your cruise vacation.

COVID-19 Cruise Health & Safety Protocols | Celebrity Cruises