ZGSCL Live from the Koningsdam: November 14th 7 day Mexican Rivera

zgscl

44 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Same old, every cruise.  HAL really needs to get a handle on the 5 star rewards.  I absolutely hate having to waste time because of their inferior and inept accounting methods. We had a Pinnacle Manager on the Rotterdam once who would take me down to the Front Desk to get the Pinnacle meal of the previous day sorted out.  In the morning  we would meet and down we went.  He was aghast and confused about why this was such a problem, but so helpful.

That is ridiculous.  I'm in my new room but the balcony is very small compared to the double wide I had without even knowing it was the case when I booked. A lot of hurry up and wait today.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, zgscl said:

We were very lucky that there were no issues with the 3* discounts on Nieuw Amsterdam. If they can figure out drink packages and pre-cruise HIA purchases, how can this be so complicated???

Good question!  When HAL introduced the Star program, we were 4 star and when the 5 star level came along we were 5 star.  The problems started right at the beginning of these introductions. 50% discount - what?  Then, 2 complimentary dinners - maybe 50% discount?  Having to tell them what they should know and not be believed is a bore, some would say insulting.  I am really eager to get on board, but reading these posts about the problems with charges is quite off-putting.

You will have to stop feeding your phone syrup :)   Enjoy your cruise and your 3 star rewards (without a fight!)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sprinkles said:

Thank you for posting this.  Hubby was literally stapling  on our Koningsdam tags while I read this.  So I just ordered some (sitting here waiting to be thrown out of our hotel room at noon lol).  1:20 check in time.   I feel like a kid waiting to go to Disneyland.

Lol right? I was so excited! I have made it onboard and am currently relaxing in my cabana. Found out from the Neptune concierge that there were 1,600 onboard last week and this cruise is only 1,300. There are 3 open Neptune suites and this is the first time they have sold out on Koningsdam since returning to service. 

I was just talked into purchasing the thermal suite pass and I am at risk of being talked into a facial and hot stone massage. Some great specials especially if you go on embarkation day for the treatment. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, zgscl said:

Lol right? I was so excited! I have made it onboard and am currently relaxing in my cabana. Found out from the Neptune concierge that there were 1,600 onboard last week and this cruise is only 1,300. There are 3 open Neptune suites and this is the first time they have sold out on Koningsdam since returning to service. 

I was just talked into purchasing the thermal suite pass and I am at risk of being talked into a facial and hot stone massage. Some great specials especially if you go on embarkation day for the treatment. 

I think I’ll be joining you shortly in the cabana area although I’ll have to pack a lunch first to get there.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Don’t they deliver lunch in the cabana?!!

I can’t rotate from my phone but here are the menus. Just ordered my cannonball burger & fries with cheese sauce 

AEB0AC41-2246-417A-B91C-BDC9B5417BF7.jpeg

4C0E16E1-CFD6-4C7B-8F04-30E55E4E6C7B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 78232 said:

I am especially interested in your thoughts about the cabana and retreat.  We have it booked for a cruise next year.  There is not a lot written about this area of the ship.

Thanks

Marcia

Actually there are many threads about cabanas. Do you have specific questions...we have used the cabanas on 5 or 6 ships.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 78232 said:

I am especially interested in your thoughts about the cabana and retreat.  We have it booked for a cruise next year.  There is not a lot written about this area of the ship.

Thanks

Marcia

I know you aren't talking to me and I hope the op will not mind.  I enjoy having an area with lots of space and dedicated loungers.  It does get warm though.  I like the signature class better in the cabanas because there is less plexiglass and more airflow.  The stewards will fetch food for you and you get 2 large bottles of water a day.

• Like 3

My favorite happy hour time bar has always been in the Crows Nest. We are sailing on the Neiuw Statendam soon and the Navigator app shows that location is only a coffee bar now. If you go to the Crows Nest and happen to think about it could you ask if a full bar is available. I do realize it might be different on the Nieuw Statendam. Thanks!

• Like 2

zgscl - I can't tell you how much fun it is following you on this adventure!!!!  I would much prefer the Mexican Riviera to the California coast this time of year.  Did you choose your cabana because of location, or were you assigned this cabana.  Sounds like heaven to me!!!  Thank you for letting us cruise with you,  Cherie

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jayhawk66 said:

My favorite happy hour time bar has always been in the Crows Nest. We are sailing on the Neiuw Statendam soon and the Navigator app shows that location is only a coffee bar now. If you go to the Crows Nest and happen to think about it could you ask if a full bar is available. I do realize it might be different on the Nieuw Statendam. Thanks!

There is a full bar there.  I had a couple drinks there the other day.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, cccole said:

zgscl - I can't tell you how much fun it is following you on this adventure!!!!  I would much prefer the Mexican Riviera to the California coast this time of year.  Did you choose your cabana because of location, or were you assigned this cabana.  Sounds like heaven to me!!!  Thank you for letting us cruise with you,  Cherie

You can make a request for a certain cabana and mine was honored.

• Like 2

We had a lido cabana several years ago and loved it.  At one point there was a lot of negative things said about the cabanas in the retreat...in poor repair, too windy and cold etc.  I hope that is not an accurate picture of the retreat at this time.

Marcia

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 78232 said:

We had a lido cabana several years ago and loved it.  At one point there was a lot of negative things said about the cabanas in the retreat...in poor repair, too windy and cold etc.  I hope that is not an accurate picture of the retreat at this time.

Marcia

I have a pic but cc won't let me upload it.  If it's cold or windy it's going to be cold and windy in the cabanas.  They are in perfect condition.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, cccole said:

Thank you Florida_gal_50 -  I think that location would be important.  I was't sure if Mariner status plays a part in being able to choose.  Thank you also for letting us cruise with you!!!  Enjoy your second week.  Cherie

Thank you.  I don't think it plays into it.  This cruise was a big maybe for me for so long so I booked the cabana late. Canada makes it difficult to travel.  I was so scared traveling but it's so worth it to be on a ship again and support these lovely people.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We used to staple unit we found these waterproof reusable tag holders .

Luggage.JPG

I have used these for several years and have also gifted some to my friends who cruise.  They protect the tags from tearing and they are waterproof!  Only about $1 each!!

AmazonSmile | Cruise Luggage Tags Etag Holders Zip Seal & Steel Loops Thick PVC (8 Pack - Clear) | Luggage Tags

Edited by oakridger
Added info
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, oakridger said:

They protect the tags from tearing and they are waterproof!

I take a small roll of clear packing tape with me to help secure the HAL baggage tags to my luggage handles.  That tape can they be used for other purposes in an emergency of some type.  

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I cover mine with packing tape, then use a hole punch at the top and secure the tags to our luggage using zip ties.  Haven’t lost one yet!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Exactly what I do too.

• Like 3