Possible Man Overboard

mcatmcat

Just now, Callan33 said:

Everyone onboard is now accounted for so false alarm. Waiting for coast guard to clear us to continue on to Coco Cay. 

What made them think someone had gone overboard in the first place?

54 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Drink package, no doubt

On the Mariner last week, I saw many people starting early in the morning trying to get their money's worth.  

What makes you think the drink package had anything to do with it?  The person may have actually seen something in the water.  Even if they thought they had, one should not assume they had been drinking.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Drink package, no doubt

On the Mariner last week, I saw many people starting early in the morning trying to get their money's worth.  

Nonsense.   Just somebody's husband, wife or partner who ditched them and hooked up with somebody ... then spousey flipped out when they didn't come back to the cabin for 8 or 9 hours.  

Y'all know.   LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, FTLCruiseGal said:

What makes you think the drink package had anything to do with it?  The person may have actually seen something in the water.  Even if they thought they had, one should not assume they had been drinking.

I'm reading that as the joke that it was.

The problem is your average cruiser isn't trained to identify objects in the water.  It could have been a bird, seaweed, trash...

• Like 2

This reminds me of our 12 night Mediterranean cruise on the Serenade some years ago.  We had just h just finished dinner after leaving port of Civitavecchia (Rome) and were walking our dinner off.  Suddenly, we see crew members running all over the place after Oscar Oscar announcement.  At that time wee did not know what it meant.  We saw crew members looking into the sea and following the bright search lights.  We wondered if someone had fallen/jumped into the water.  

They tried their best to determine if that was the case.  After a couple of hours of trying to determine if it was a false alarm, we were told to go to our cabins and not leave until everyone was accounted for. 

Fortunately, we had a balcony cabin and were able to see some of the actions happening around the ship.  I swear, there must have been some 25 different types of vessels helping with the search.  In addition to the Italian Coast Guard there were a few Carnival ships helping out.

At about 9 PM we heard a knock on our cabin door and it was the cabins steward taking inventory of Pax in cabins.  Then at about 10PM, I decided to got to bed but my wife was still awake and taking the action from our balcony.  A  few minutes later,  my wife opens the cabin door after hearing knocking and it was our cabin steward again re-doing the inventory.  The steward had me get out of bed half asleep as she wanted to be sure that the 2 of us were accounted for.

Went back to bed again as they were still searching.  What I don't understand as to why they did not ask all Paxs to meet in the dining room or some other place and scan our cards via the machine as this would determine if anyone was missing.

The next day,  we found out that all passengers were accounted for and the belief was that someone had left either a shirt or sweater on a lounge chair and the wind blew it over and caused a Pax to sound the alarm.  

Ps:  I was impressed as to the amount of help that suddenly showed up in the search rescue.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Callan33 said:

Everyone onboard is now accounted for so false alarm. Waiting for coast guard to clear us to continue on to Coco Cay. 

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. Fortunately there is no need to express Sympathy on the Symphony 

We had dinner table mate first night on transatlantic tell couple of us , he was not going to be on the ship upon arrival at end of cruise . We reported information and staff  determined he was intending to , and was confined to cabin and taken off ship at next stop . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, ssb said:

We had dinner table mate first night on transatlantic tell couple of us , he was not going to be on the ship upon arrival at end of cruise . We reported information and staff  determined he was intending to , and was confined to cabin and taken off ship at next stop . 

Well, at least he was right. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, ssb said:

He wanted someone to save him.  

• Like 6

19 hours ago, BND said:

I'm reading that as the joke that it was.

The problem is your average cruiser isn't trained to identify objects in the water.  It could have been a bird, seaweed, trash...

Or just foam...that has fooled me lots of times thinking I'm seeing Dolphin etc.

At least a happy ending!

Edited by BecciBoo

48 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Or it could have been a body, just not from Symphony.  It's The Bahamas.  Just sayn'.  

Or like when my DH was active Navy and they found a couple of bales of pot that had been dumped in the Caribbean during a pursuit.

Or, in the Med when they came across a dead Rhinocerous that had been dumped off a ship transporting it to a zoo.

Edited by BND
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, ssb said:

Thank you for saying something.  You may have saved a life!

• Like 3