The Daily for Sunday December 05, 2021

richwmn

Quick post of the drink of the day.  Will be back later.

Lynchburg Lemonade:

A Lynchburg Lemonade is a cocktail and long drink made with, among other ingredients, Jack Daniel's Tennessee whiskey. It is named after Lynchburg, Tennessee, home of the Jack Daniel's distillery. A typical recipe is: 1 part Jack Daniel's 1 part triple sec 1 part sour mix 4 parts lemon-lime soda. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Tennessee whiskey
Ingredients: 1 1/4 oz Jack Daniel's, 2 oz Sour mix, 3/4 oz Triple sec, Lemon lime
Preparation: Shake first 3 ingredients with ice and strain into ice-filled glass. Top with the lemonade or lemon-lime. Add ice and stir. Garnish with lemon slices and cherries.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Lemon wedge, Maraschino cherry
Drinkware: Collins glass

Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 10.43.14 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning!Thank you Rich and Roy for the Daily. And thank you everyone for contributing.

Volunteering with elderly people were bookends to my "official" working career. I was involved with a care organization for the elderly in my late teens and early twenties in the inner-city of Chicago. Very satisfying work. Then after I retired from teaching, I became involved with a senior social organization in Maryland. For them I delivered Meals-On-Wheels and drove individuals to doctor's appointments, etc. I was involved with them until moving to "retire" in Virginia. My hope is that someone will be there for me when it is my turn!

Five hours from now we should be aboard the Koningsdam!

- Jack

• Like 27

Good Morning All,

We have another day of cloud cover, and we got down to 40s last night. We MIGHT get some rain next Thursday. My gosh, we need it. Reportedly the plan is to ration water at 55 gallons per person, if we don’t get significant rain this year.  I’m not sure how they plan to enforce that one, but it clearly speaks of the problem. 

I’ll try to locate pictures from Kodiak when I fire up my computer later.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 19

In 2017 we visited Kodiak while aboard the Amsterdam.  Except for one day, we had fabulous weather. That one day was our Kodiak stop.  The heavy rain that morning led to the cancellation of several excursions.  We had decided to stay on the ship, but shortly after lunch the rain slacked up, so we decided to take the bus into town.  We were able to visit the Russian Orthodox Church, but then got back on the bus to return to the ship.  Hopefully, we'll be able to get back to Kodiak some day.

1271099840_P8090143.thumb.JPG.81e88add6ee2c490e9aa68f5fafa2a0c.JPG

2016777884_P8090148.thumb.JPG.648be9aae3dff206f185d9a0fad2850d.JPG

1187343708_P8090149.thumb.JPG.4c4f1f5e306196e91f549ec8ce2d66d5.JPG

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Tioga, How will they know, and is that per day, or for a week?  In Georgia every several years our reservoirs get full, and water is abundant, and then we get a dry season, and we are on water lock down.   No one conserves when they should.  Which should be all the time.  

I read once that the earth is a bubble, and the water we have is the water we get.  Period.   It can escape as steam, come down as rain and snow, get absorbed into the earth, release into bodies of water, evaporate, and it's all the same water from the beginning of time.  But there are more people, more businesses, more buildings, less earth, more pavement.  So, we should build less, and realize that there are more people.  I hope that California and the rest of the west, gets rain or snow this year.  And that your water problems are not as severe.

• Like 17

We got back from our 2 weeks on the Nieuw Amsterdam at about 6:30 PM last night. This morning, we had a bit of snow on the ground! 

The cruise was very enjoyable and I will come back latter with some more detailed comments. But now we must finish unpacking, prep for doing laundry, water plants, start putting up the Christmas decorations, and go grocery shopping since our Lido and MDR seems to be closed!

• Like 23
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Tioga, How will they know, and is that per day, or for a week?  In Georgia every several years our reservoirs get full, and water is abundant, and then we get a dry season, and we are on water lock down.   No one conserves when they should.  Which should be all the time.  

I read once that the earth is a bubble, and the water we have is the water we get.  Period.   It can escape as steam, come down as rain and snow, get absorbed into the earth, release into bodies of water, evaporate, and it's all the same water from the beginning of time.  But there are more people, more businesses, more buildings, less earth, more pavement.  So, we should build less, and realize that there are more people.  I hope that California and the rest of the west, gets rain or snow this year.  And that your water problems are not as severe.

Supposedly per day. I have no idea how they will know true household population, or enforce it. I guess if your plants aren’t dead, it’s a clue…. on part of it. We’re pretty conservative in our habits, and monitor our use. I usually take a military shower, hand distribute “blow by” ( my term for the cold water that proceeds the hot) and we avoid run off. It really gets us when we see the huge amounts of water in the gutter from some of the commercial and HOA sites, and to see sprinklers running in the rain. What a waste. We could do better if everyone participated.

Unfortunately For the next couple weeks we will have to water more as our native plants take root.

• Like 19

I believe the quote is making reference to take the high road through life.  I guess I need that quote today because it reminds me to refrain from responding to some posters. 🙃

I am 0 for 2 in my wine choices at the FLL store, including today’s selection. I guess I’ll just get some help from their sommelier when I get there. 

Like the rest of you, I was super happy to hear there is hope for Jose and they now have a treatment plan. Worry sucks all the joy out of life and I hate to see people suffer. 

I don’t always make individual comments to posters because I don’t want to cause hurt feelings to anyone I may have missed.  Just know that I receive and appreciate all of your comments and concerns, and thoroughly enjoy everyone’s pictures.

Wow.  CC zapped my post and restored only half of it when I closed everything and came back to try again.  I had put a lot of thought into how it was worded so it kind of put the icing on the cake for how I was feeling today.  I think some physical activity is needed to restore balance.

Oh, and I will not be having lentils this evening.  😜

• Like 17
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Cat in my lap said:

Thanks for daily report and photos!  When we visited jack Daniel’s in Lynchburg Tennessee they served us non alcoholic lemonade after our tour since it is in a dry county.  They do not sell or serve alcohol at all there.  

Ole Jasper was quite the character. Have been to the distillery 3 times over the year's and enjoy all the stories from the tours.

Except for Sunday, you can buy wine and beer. You can be served food with whiskey in the ingredients. Goodness Miss Mary Bobo's has a whiskey cake that knocks your socks off! 

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

Good Afternoon All, thanks for the daily report.  I was skeptical about today’s meal suggestion until I saw @dfish recipes.  The recipes are very appealing.  Today’s task is making the house look presentable for the pet sitter, truly the hardest part of vacation prep.  The upstairs has been completed. Only one more work day and it promises to be busy.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.e8025eae28a872a360c3b82e42985bc2.png

Edited by Crazy For Cats
Added picture
  • Like 7
  • Haha 13

Thank you Rich, Roy, and all the Dailyites that keep this such a nice spot. Thank you, Roy, for keeping my DDIL in the rotation. I'm pleased to report that she finally has an appointment on Wednesday with doctors from Johns Hopkins. I'm hoping that this will be the start of some improvement!

DH & I visited Kodiak a several times on HAL's pre-covid 14-day itinerary. I'm hoping the itinerary will eventually be offered again. I'll see if I can find some pictures. 

I also think that the quote refers to taking the high road in life -- that's my story & I'm sticking to it!

Heading down to NC tomorrow for an early Christmas visit with my sister. Sounds like I'm getting out of here just in time, because on this morning's weather report I heard the "S" word mentioned for Wednesday! Coming back on Thursday, so I hope it's all done by then!

Edi

• Like 19

Well, I’m running late this morning as grandpa has been entertaining our exuberant 18 month granddaughter. London Bridges falling down has been a favorite!

I miss my volunteer work which I stopped at the beginning of the pandemic. My doctor and family got me to stop my volunteer job of being a cashier at our church thrift shop. A very popular store. Glad I did as many of the volunteers eventually came down with Covid.

This will be our last day in California for this trip. One observation on California after being out here for a couple of weeks. In this area folks wear mask. Yesterday we went to local farmers market and I would state 98% of those vending and shopping were masked and this was an outdoor event. Just an observation not a debate!

I believe we are going to have a fresh oyster roast today along with some grilled shrimp.The cold water oysters from the West Coast are so good.

Morning fog is lifting and we may just end up with blue skies.

Thanks for the report and all who contribute.

• Like 20

Good morning from San Diego.  We woke up to grey, overcast skies and fog.  In the last hour, the sun has begun trying to make an appearance.

For those staying on board, going through immigration was easy again today.  We only had to walk to the other end of the ship to see the officials in the showroom.  Wish it would be this easy next week when we have to leave the Koningsdam. 😒

@Heartgrove  Welcome aboard.

A good group of days to celebrate today.  Repeal day is celebrated daily on this BHB.  Volunteers are necessary and deserve a day.  I volunteered at the DDs schools until they graduated.  While we don't talk to the DDs daily, we do talk often, and they feel free to call us when they need advice, especially on how to fix something.  The younger DD has become quite handy.

Today's quote is not one I like very much.

We've been to Kodiak at least 14 times, and all but two on a BHB.  Our first visit was in 1992 when we put our motorhome on the Tustemena.  I'll see what pictures I can find on DH's tablet.

@kazu  Jacqui, I was relieved when I saw on yesterday's Daily that the doctor had determined what Jose's problem is and has a treatment plan in place.  Sending good thoughts to both of you for a speedy recovery.

@StLouisCruisers  Glad the team won, but YIKES! 😱 on the poor sportsmanship by the opposing team and their parents.  What a bad example they are giving their kids.

@Overhead Fred  Glad you're home safely, and that you had a great cruise.

@smitty34877  Terry, another great picture of Camilla.

@NextOne  Safe travels,and enjoy your visit.

@grapau27  Graham, thanks for the great pictures.  What a lovely place.

@TiogaCruiser  We talked with I our waiter Friday night.  He is from Indonesia, but he said there are some waiters from the Philippines now.  We think that might partly have to do with the waiters serving wine, but aren't sure.

Lenda

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, all! A good collection of days - and a timely reminder that I need to call my nephew today!

Todays quote - The best path through life is the highway. -  Henri Frederic Amiel. Obviously Mr. Amiel has not visited British Columbia in the past month. Many of our highways are gamble, if not  closed altogether. Up until November, I would have agreed with him completely!

Today I’ll be making my DM’s favourite traditional Christmas cake. It should have been made a couple of weeks ago, but there’s still time. The fruit and nuts have been marinading in sherry overnight. I came across her collection of favourite Christmas recipes. One is a Christmas pudding that she made the first Christmas she and DF were married in 1948. I’ll make that one a little closer to Christmas.

Happy Sunday, and a toast to our beloved BHB’s and their elevators!

5EAA84BE-A871-4E48-8CAE-F2789FA85C4E.thumb.jpeg.718d46dda374f76b825212db218aec44.jpeg

• Like 20

1 minute ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning from San Diego.  We woke up to grey, overcast skies and fog.  In the last hour, the sun has begun trying to make an appearance.

For those staying on board, going through immigration was easy again today.  We only had to walk to the other end of the ship to see the officials in the showroom.  Wish it would be this easy next week when we have to leave the Koningsdam. 😒

@Heartgrove  Welcome aboard.

A good group of days to celebrate today.  Repeal day is celebrated daily on this BHB.  Volunteers are necessary and deserve a day.  I volunteered at the DDs schools until they graduated.  While we don't talk to the DDs daily, we do talk often, and they feel free to call us when they need advice, especially on how to fix something.  The younger DD has become quite handy.

Today's quote is not one I like very much.

We've been to Kodiak at least 14 times, and all but two on a BHB.  Our first visit was in 1992 when we put our motorhome on the Tustemena.  I'll see what pictures I can find on DH's tablet.

@kazu  Jacqui, I was relieved when I saw on yesterday's Daily that the doctor had determined what Jose's problem is and has a treatment plan in place.  Sending good thoughts to both of you for a speedy recovery.

@StLouisCruisers  Glad the team won, but YIKES! 😱 on the poor sportsmanship by the opposing team and their parents.  What a bad example they are giving their kids.

@Overhead Fred  Glad you're home safely, and that you had a great cruise.

@smitty34877  Terry, another great picture of Camilla.

@NextOne  Safe travels,and enjoy your visit.

@grapau27  Graham, thanks for the great pictures.  What a lovely place.

@TiogaCruiser  We talked with I our waiter Friday night.  He is from Indonesia, but he said there are some waiters from the Philippines now.  We think that might partly have to do with the waiters serving wine, but aren't sure.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda.

I'm pleased to hear you are having a great cruise and hopefully it gets even better next week for you.

Graham.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Great days. Volunteering is important; I used to volunteer at a women's shelter. Yay Repeal Day! Communicating with your kids is vital (although I have none).

Not sure what the quote means; if it's the high road in life, then I'll agree with it.

I'll pass on the meal (although I like lentils in stews with meat or chicken), drink and wine.

I haven't been to Kodiak. Thanks for the pictures.

Not to much going on here. Doing laundry, and bringing up some of the outdoor decorations as I make trips up and down to the basement.

@StLouisCruisers Sorry to hear of the injured players. Congrats to your team for winning.

@grapau27 Thanks for the pictures of you all at the castle, with its decorations. 

@Heartgrove Bon Voyage!

@Overhead Fred Welcome home.

@NextOne Prayers for your DDIL. Safe travels!

Prayers for the care list and a toast to the celebration list.

Stay safe all.

A picture of my efforts for the last 3 days. German fruit bread (Hutzelbrot). The loaves are now wrapped and allowing the flavors to meld. They will last 2-3 months or can be frozen. Most will go to BFF as a Christmas present.

1121299166_2021_12.4Hutzelbrot1.thumb.jpg.e50ca4b8655ef49bf1ad40aff7a9db2b.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and thanks all!  I am a bit late this wintry morning.  Thanks Debbie, that black lentil pasta dish looks really good.   And Prosecco, can’t go wrong! 

I’m enjoying the photos of Kodak!  And Gerri has inspired me to get baking!  Would like the recipe form Jazzy too! Laura, I tried making my Dm Christmas cake, but no method, so this year am cheating with Costco! 

Graham, I envy you the lovely spots, we haven’t dined out for a long time now! 
happy Sunday! 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1