Taking food out of MDR

2 minutes ago, flyingandcruising said:

if we’re not comfortable eating in the MDR, can we take the food to our cabin? Prefer MDR food to the buffet. 

Yes, if you ask them they will plate it and cover it for you to take back to your room. Also, I believe if you are in a certain class of suite you can get room service to deliver items from the MDR menu.

I love desserts but usually am full from eating bread, appetizer, and entree. My solution is to ask the waiter to bring me my dessert with a lid on it, to take to my room and store in the chiller for an evening snack. I’ve done this on 5 cruise ships so far. The MDR desserts beat  the Cafe Promenade/Park Cafe sweets by a mile, imho. However, I believe the best apple pie is at Johnny Rocket’s, lol! 

Edited by sushitex
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, flyingandcruising said:

Thanks. So it sounds like the option is one of us from our family goes to the MDR and orders food for all of us basically to go. We are not in any suite. 

I've been told no by the waiters ordering food to go in the past. Maybe they will and maybe they wouldnt. Mdr isnt set up to take orders to go. 

I see a thread about tipping. A big enough tip they will often bend the rules or take time away from other tasks to do what you ask. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, flyingandcruising said:

Thanks. So it sounds like the option is one of us from our family goes to the MDR and orders food for all of us basically to go. We are not in any suite. 

Won’t it be hard for one person to carry it all. It will probably be a real plate with the same cover they use when they bring the food out. It won’t be in styrofoam and bagged up like shoreside to go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mawvkysc said:

Won’t it be hard for one person to carry it all. It will probably be a real plate with the same cover they use when they bring the food out. It won’t be in styrofoam and bagged up like shoreside to go. 

Aren't those plates/covers designed to be stacked?

10 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Aren't those plates/covers designed to be stacked?

And Food for Family to go also Bulky/Heavy! Miss the days when Windjammer had Trays. Back then Dinner in WJ was more Formal, had Waiters, could order off MD Menu and Buffet. Easier take meals to go...

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

And Food for Family to go also Bulky/Heavy! Miss the days when Windjammer had Trays. Back then Dinner in WJ was more Formal, had Waiters, could order off MD Menu and Buffet. Easier take meals to go...

Loved the trays...I wish they would bring them back. I would also love to see paper placemats offered.

Otherwise I just get two sets of utensils and use the extra napkin as one.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I'm having a vision of a passenger carrying a 3-high stack of covered dinner plates, plus cutlery and other items, when a small wave moves the ship and  mashed potatoes, gravy, vegies, chicken and beef go flying all over the lobby.

All over the elevator.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Loved the trays...I wish they would bring them back. I would also love to see paper placemats offered.

Otherwise I just get two sets of utensils and use the extra napkin as one.

Yes, at start CV though most places would have gone disposable Placements and Menus(or hands free), some have. Always use 2 sets Utensils/Napkins. Even before CV never touched chairs, table, or door handles with bare hands. Haven't been on Elevator since 2002. Stairs are great workout on a 4-6wk Cruise...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, arlodog said:

They do have room service available too for a charge.  You could order enough for all for the one charge, just make sure you tip appropriately! 

The only thing is they wouldn’t have the MDR menu to choose from (unless Grand Suite or higher)

28 minutes ago, mawvkysc said:

The only thing is they wouldn’t have the MDR menu to choose from (unless Grand Suite or higher)

That is true, but it would be a lot easier than ordering food to go from the MDR and carrying it through the ship!

2 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

I wonder why they want to do this.

It really doesn’t seem that bizarre to me. Maybe OP doesn’t feel comfortable taking off their masks in a mess hall eating with a thousand other cruisers also without their masks, but still want to experience the other parts of the cruise experience.

To the OP - I think you can ask to be seated in a vaccinated only section of the MDR if that will help.

• Like 1

We have had food to go from the MDR.  We spoke to one of the managers that was at the entrance of MTD and he got a waiter to take our order.  We were instructed to go sit in a specific area and the waiter came out with our covered plates.  We each had three covered plates to carry.  I am not sure if they would do it for you just because you don't want to eat in the MDR.  When we approached the manager, he wasn't very receptive until we explained we had just been released from quarantine (flu) and really didn't want to be around others.  He did ask to look at our sea passes and that might have helped us to as we were in a JS and on a ship with Royal Suite Class.

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

We have had food to go from the MDR.  We spoke to one of the managers that was at the entrance of MTD and he got a waiter to take our order.  We were instructed to go sit in a specific area and the waiter came out with our covered plates.  We each had three covered plates to carry.

Similar.

On a recent cruise, we had MyTime dining, and one night we had eaten so much throughout the day, and none of the entrees or appetizers were anything that we couldn't live without, but we did want the Gran Marnier Soufflé and a cheesecake. So we just went to the host stand and asked if we could just get a couple desserts to go. They got a waiter who took our order. After about 5 minutes or so we had 2 covered plates and silverware and back to the cabin we went. No one acted like it was any big deal.

• Like 1

Several years on the Serenade TA on the last formal night we went to dinner, mdr, 2nd seating. I ordered dinner but wasn't feeling right so I asked them to give my dh my dinner to bring back when he finished.   When he returned to the cabin he said they would have it delivered,  which is what happened.  For some reason they didn't want to give it to my husband.  By the time the food arrived I was feeling up to eating,  at least some of it.  They have rules.

I with this could be done more easily. I love eating outside. I would pay the service charge and tip nicely to get dining room food delivered to my cabin. Sometimes you just don't feel like dealing with the whole scene. Just give me my self-carried wine and the food and peace and quiet.