When $118 Is Worth More Than Loyalty

DLaForce

Thank you Celebrity for charging me for a bottle of wine I did not order, adding it to my room and billing my credit card the morning of disembarkation. I did check my bill before I went to bed on the last night and it wasn't there. After multiple phone calls and an email to my Celebrity agent, you still won't remove the charge. Guess that $118 was more important than me going on future cruises.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DLaForce said:

Thank you Celebrity for charging me for a bottle of wine I did not order, adding it to my room and billing my credit card the morning of disembarkation. I did check my bill before I went to bed on the last night and it wasn't there. After multiple phone calls and an email to my Celebrity agent, you still won't remove the charge. Guess that $118 was more important than me going on future cruises.

Another reason to use a TA.  Had a charge for a specialty restaurant added after I looked at my bill.  Obviously charged to the wrong room.  Email a copy of my bill noting the incorrect charge to my TA.  A couple weeks later received a credit on my credit card.

If you booked with Celebrity simply email AND mail copies of the statement along with a concise explanation to customer service.   It will take a while, but will happen.  A phone call is pretty useless as the Celebrity agent is not likely to be able to see the documents.

FWIW I always get a print out late last night.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

You said you didn’t order it. Was it in your room ?  Did you drink it?  Just curious. 

It was nowhere. Just showed up on my statement.  I think the bar put it on my tab. But it was for another person. All they could produce was their own slip, nothing signed by us. 

3 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Another reason to use a TA.  Had a charge for a specialty restaurant added after I looked at my bill.  Obviously charged to the wrong room.  Email a copy of my bill noting the incorrect charge to my TA.  A couple weeks later received a credit on my credit card.

If you booked with Celebrity simply email AND mail copies of the statement along with a concise explanation to customer service.   It will take a while, but will happen.  A phone call is pretty useless as the Celebrity agent is not likely to be able to see the documents.

FWIW I always get a print out late last night.

I did get a statement the night before. It wasn't on there. As I said, they added it there morning we left. And I did email my Celebrity agent. I was told they can only help with booking before the cruise. Anything after the cruise they cannot help. 

Surprising that your  X rep can’t help,  I would suggest you try celebrityonetouch. 
It sounds like some one entered a incorrect account #.  That happens occasionally with mini bar charges.  

Can you tell where the wine was purchased?  If it was a dining room/specialty restaurant you were not in then that would support that it wasn’t you who enjoyed the nice bottle of wine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DLaForce said:

It was nowhere. Just showed up on my statement.  I think the bar put it on my tab. But it was for another person. All they could produce was their own slip, nothing signed by us. 

I can see how easy that mistake could be made in the current climate. For our entire Silhouette cruise last week, they just kept writing down room numbers instead of swiping cards. It appears that they are going hands free on the cards. It is real easy for someone to say the wrong cabin (either intentional or not) or the bartender to type in the wrong number. Be patient, it will get resolved.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

I can see how easy that mistake could be made in the current climate. For our entire Silhouette cruise last week, they just kept writing down room numbers instead of swiping cards. It appears that they are going hands free on the cards. It is real easy for someone to say the wrong cabin (either intentional or not) or the bartender to type in the wrong number. Be patient, it will get resolved.

They basically told me that's it and if I want my money back fight the credit card. 

1 minute ago, DLaForce said:

They basically told me that's it and if I want my money back fight the credit card. 

Depending on the card, that could be easy to do or a bit difficult. I have found that AMEX is awesome with disputes and only use them for my onboard accounts now. I recently had to file a dispute on an online order and AMEX refunded me almost immediately. Not sure what you were using but food for thought.

• Like 2

I've had charges put on my credit card the last night also that weren't legit.  Usually a small amount and it's been removed upon me calling Celebrity.  

However, I have to add that Celebrity is the only cruise line that I've had this happen with.  (And I've cruised on MSC and Carnival!)..

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, mafig said:

I've had charges put on my credit card the last night also that weren't legit.  Usually a small amount and it's been removed upon me calling Celebrity.  

However, I have to add that Celebrity is the only cruise line that I've had this happen with.  (And I've cruised on MSC and Carnival!)..

It happened with us twice. Once on Celebrity, for which the charge was removed when questioned, and once on NCL, with the same result: called and explained; the charge was immediately removed. 

Edited by ExArkie
Typo correction
  • Thanks 1

That happened once to me also. One email and it was resolved.

Of course, that and two bucks will get the OP a cup of coffee.

X has screwed you around too much already. Fight the charge with your credit card company if you want and dump X's sorry behind.

There are other good cruise lines on the sea.  

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, DLaForce said:

If they can't produce a slip signed by you and aren't willing to refund it, I would suggest you stop wasting your time with them and contact your CC company. While honest mistakes do happen, CC companies track chargebacks like this and if they find a pattern the offending company takes a hit. 

16 hours ago, DLaForce said:

I did get a statement the night before. It wasn't on there. As I said, they added it there morning we left. And I did email my Celebrity agent. I was told they can only help with booking before the cruise. Anything after the cruise they cannot help. 

Not a "Celebrity Agent." An independent travel agent. 

• Haha 1

I had a similar problem when I was charged on day of disembarkation for "Deal or No Deal"  I wrote to the following people and I did get a call back and eventually the charge was removed.  Good Luck

jliberty@celebritycruises.com,
bcooper@rccl.com,
lLutoff-Perlo@celebritycruises.com,
CelebrityEngagementCenter@celebrity.com

• Like 1

If you didn't order and sign then it's not yours to pay. As others have stated do a credit card chargeback. The CC company will issue you a temporary refund until they investigate. Pretty much a guarantee you will win. Give them as much information as possible including time and date stamp.

On 12/9/2021 at 9:22 PM, DLaForce said:

Bye…. I’ll be at the Martini Bar! 

• Haha 1

On 12/9/2021 at 10:24 PM, DLaForce said:

And purchasing a bottle of wine would certainly require a signature since it’s outside of any beverage package. Doesn’t sound like they have a leg to stand on. Not smart of them to push back on a customer like this with no signature. This should be an easy resolve for a CC dispute though if you have to go that route.