Is Grand Princess to Hawaii January 4 sailing?

shipsealand

DW and I are booked on the roundtrip LA to Hawaii Grand Princess cruise with embarkation January 4.  So far I heard that the intention is that the cruise lines are resuming Hawaii next month and that Hawaii has not put in more restriction but that final port agreements have not yet been signed.  We have already started final preps for the cruise but would like to know if my cruise critics members have any more recent news and insights.  Will be putting hold on mail delivery, packing, have pet dog boarding reservations made, covid testing 2 days prior, etc.  

4 minutes ago, shipsealand said:

DW and I are booked on the roundtrip LA to Hawaii Grand Princess cruise with embarkation January 4.  So far I heard that the intention is that the cruise lines are resuming Hawaii next month and that Hawaii has not put in more restriction but that final port agreements have not yet been signed.  We have already started final preps for the cruise but would like to know if my cruise critics members have any more recent news and insights.  Will be putting hold on mail delivery, packing, have pet dog boarding reservations made, covid testing 2 days prior, etc.  

When the ship sails, you will know if you are sailing. When you dock at any of the four islands, you will know if that island is open. Everything is day to day, sometimes hour to hour.

Proceed with packing, mail, dog boarding and testing.

If we've learned anything, nothing is for sure.

BTW, I'm on follow ing cruise. Wouldn't bet my house.  But will move forward until I can't. Could be a 15 day cruise to nowhere.😉

1 hour ago, shipsealand said:

Have you checked your roll call to see if your fellow travelers have posted what may be helpful info to you? 

17 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

This can’t be good. 
sold out maybe? doubtful. 

image.thumb.jpeg.43170f8a8da6728259b3ab907ed00113.jpeg

Did they reach capacity?

Also, I've seen cruises become unavailable when within a few days of going and the office is operating at limited staffing until 1/3/22. This is less than a week out & a day after PVPs return 

Edited by Ombud

Looks like it is a go to cruise.  Yesterday got email from Princess to register with Hawaii's Safe Travels website.  While registering, the website shows populated fields to select from which includes Grand Princess and our first arrival port of January 9.  Important to upload your CDC proof of vaccination.

• Like 4

Who knows.  The cruise is no longer available for booking, but that may just be Princess limiting the load, as noted above, the ship is booked to about 1500 according to folks who stepped off the Christmas cruise today.  Doubtless, the number will only go down from there, some folks may have CFAR insurance, others may not have the risk appetite still more may not like the port uncertainty we will certainly endure.

I'm sure Princess doesn't want any more pax added to the load given the uncertainty.

I plan to do a "Live From" assuming of course we sail.  Expect the first installation to be the results of our Covid tests on Sunday the 2nd.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

My best bet that the Jan 4th cruise will sail if they get the port agreements signed on time. However with the CDC putting all cruising on level 4 and recommending no cruising for anyone, I bet Princess will have to have some sort of opt out.  We are on the Jan 19th sailing. Yesterday I would have said it had a 75% chance of sailing. Today after the CDC ... less than 50% without an opt out provision.  

43 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

People might not have to worry about how to get from Kahului to their Whale watch tour with that news.  Since Princess has not informed people that they need to have a booster for the Jan 4 cruise,  Maui might get skipped.

Edited by nocl

Princess has advised those on the January 4 cruise that Hawaii MAY invoke the booster requirement to be fully vaccinated.  The booster would need to be administered 14 days prior to arrival.   Email was sent yesterday.

We have been advised by the State of Hawaii there is a possibility that entry requirements could be modified. Modifications could include a COVID-19 booster requirement 14 days prior to arrival or additional COVID-19 entrance testing regardless of vaccine status. If the State of Hawaii revises its protocols, Princess will work to minimize disruptions to your experience and communicate the best information available.

35 minutes ago, nocl said:

People might not have to worry about how to get from Kahului to their Whale watch tour with that news.  Since Princess has not informed people that they need to have a booster for the Jan 4 cruise,  Maui might get skipped.

A much better solution would be for those without boosters to remain on board while docked at Kahului while those who have received the booster allowed ashore. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I am disappointed in the announcement made on 12/29/21 by the Maui Mayor Victorino without giving residents/tourists 14 days to get the booster (effective Saturday, January 8).  Hopefully, most of the passengers on the Grand will have already received the booster.

Passengers should be allowed off the ship, but there will be restrictions as per Safe Access program.  If not boosted, you will not be allowed to dine indoors, etc.  Doesn't mean you can't do outdoor activities.

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/maui-county-first-in-hawaii-to-add-boosters-to-qualify-as-fully-vaccinated/

Hawaii Island (Hilo) also changed the limits on groups of no more than 10.  

There are 4 counties in the State and 4 mayors who are allowed to create policies for their county.  Maui includes Moloka'i, and Lana'i.  

Governor Ige mentioned that if there are modifications to the safe travels program (app), it would take a few days to make a decision and then a few more to change the app. 

Hawaii if in flux right now due to high positive test counts.  It is difficult to stay on top of all the changes.  

• Like 1

The way I read the Maui news sites the changes might affect those who are on Maui. While each county can & have in the past made more restrictive rules on arrivals, based on Gov. Ige’s comments currently there are no changes to the state managed Safe Travels system. He states that any changes will be made 2 weeks after being announced. But as ‘cr8tiv1’ wrote things are in flux in Hawaii. A few weeks ago positive tests were around 100 statewide but the current daily total is nearly 3,500.

https://www.mauinews.com/news/local-news/2021/12/county-fully-vaccinated-will-mean-getting-a-booster/

When asked during the news conference whether the state planned to expand its definition of “fully vaccinated” to include booster shots, particularly for the Safe Travels program, Gov. David Ige said that “we certainly are evaluating that.”

The Safe Travels system is a complex system and we are, you know, also evaluating the point at which we would end the program,” Ige said. “So there are many decisions that we’ll be making over the next few days, and certainly we’ll be making announcements as necessary. But any changes to Safe Travels would require a minimum of two weeks to implement.”

• Like 2

Latest email from Princess for my 2/13/22 cruise to Hawaii on the Grand Princess.

We have been advised by the State of Hawaii there is a possibility that entry requirements could be modified. Modifications could include a COVID-19 booster requirement 14 days prior to arrival or additional COVID-19 entrance testing regardless of vaccine status. If the State of Hawaii revises its protocols, Princess will work to minimize disruptions to your experience and communicate the best information available.