Nexus Trusted Traveler Renewal

iancal

1 hour ago, jy_cruisefan said:

Applied for a Nexus card for my wife and I back in February. Both received conditional approval, and now need to schedule interviews. Any idea when/if Canadian centres may re-open? (I.e. preferably Ottawa).

Thanks.

The last I had heard. a few weeks back, there was a fundamental disagreement between the US and Cdn governments over the US requirement that their agents, in Canada doing these interviews, be armed. Our Gvt said no, and so the issue is "under discussion". It didn't make sense to me at the time as other US CBP agents here in Canada are already armed.

I'm outside of Montreal and couldn't wait until they re-opened at YUL, so I scheduled and re-scheduled multiple interviews at different US border  interview sites until I landed a good time and date at the Champlain/Lacolle border station (on the US side, of course). For me its was about a 1 hr drive, in and out in less than 30 minutes.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

The last I had heard. a few weeks back, there was a fundamental disagreement between the US and Cdn governments over the US requirement that their agents, in Canada doing these interviews, be armed. Our Gvt said no, and so the issue is "under discussion". It didn't make sense to me at the time as other US CBP agents here in Canada are already armed.

I'm outside of Montreal and couldn't wait until they re-opened at YUL, so I scheduled and re-scheduled multiple interviews at different US border  interview sites until I landed a good time and date at the Champlain/Lacolle border station (on the US side, of course). For me its was about a 1 hr drive, in and out in less than 30 minutes.

I believe the Canadian position is that CBP agents should only be armed in places where CBSA agents may be armed, e.g. airports.

4 hours ago, lx200gps said:

In 2006, the GOC first approved the arming of CBSA officers working on the front lines. Since then, there have been ongoing reviews of who should be armed and under what conditions. CBSA and Public Safety Canada do not assess the potential threat to employees within the assessment centres as sufficient to warrant them being armed at this time. The same would apply to CBP officers co-located within the centres under the agreement, now being disputed by the Americans, that they would only be armed in locations where our officers would be armed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd pass this on for anybody who is still waiting for their Nexus renewal to be approved.  I applied for my renewal last November 2021, so that's almost a year now.  Somebody told me if you use your expired Nexus card at the border, it would speed up the approval process. (I know there was a two year extension on renewals if you'd applied prior to the expiration date--mine expired this past May.)  

Yesterday we took a day trip across the border at Niagara Falls.  Low and behold, I just now received an email from TTP stating there was a change to my Trusted Traveler account.  After logging in, it states I have been approved ... no interview necessary.  I'm just relieved to finally get the approval and know I don't have to worry about an interview.  That tip worked well for me!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We applied for our nexus renewal last week. Other than taking our payment, there’s been no further word other than the generic “keep checking back” and notice of the automatic 2 year extension. Ours expire June 2023. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 9:44 PM, hancogran said:

Just thought I'd pass this on for anybody who is still waiting for their Nexus renewal to be approved.  I applied for my renewal last November 2021, so that's almost a year now.  Somebody told me if you use your expired Nexus card at the border, it would speed up the approval process. (I know there was a two year extension on renewals if you'd applied prior to the expiration date--mine expired this past May.)  

Yesterday we took a day trip across the border at Niagara Falls.  Low and behold, I just now received an email from TTP stating there was a change to my Trusted Traveler account.  After logging in, it states I have been approved ... no interview necessary.  I'm just relieved to finally get the approval and know I don't have to worry about an interview.  That tip worked well for me!

We have crossed the border 4 times since our renewal application and our shows no change...

3 hours ago, PatandStu said:

We applied for our nexus renewal last week. Other than taking our payment, there’s been no further word other than the generic “keep checking back” and notice of the automatic 2 year extension. Ours expire June 2023. 

Mine expires June 2023 and my wife’s in August 2023. I waited for the 12 month prior to expiry for my wife’s before applying for renewal for both.  We were notified at the end of Sept 2022 that our applications were both approved with no interview required. Just waiting for the cards to arrive in the mail before activating them. 

1 hour ago, CaptainBazz said:

We have crossed the border 4 times since our renewal application and our shows no change...

☹️ Well I guess we can scratch that "tip" off the list then.  Sorry you're still waiting but it's good that we've got that two year extension.   Hopefully you'll get that final approval very soon.

• Like 1

My Nexus is expiring in Jan 2023. I went online and renewed it on Sept 24th and just received it was approved on Oct 11th. I processed the payment on my TD Visa as they will cover the cost. Sure enough the credit went through. Now hopefully my new card will arrive soon.

News today (sorry, don’t know how to post the article) is that NEXUS negotiations between CANADA and U.S. are not going well, no sign of the Canadian Centres reopening and there is mention of the program being discontinued.  Sure hope they are wrong.  🤞🏻

On 10/10/2022 at 9:44 PM, hancogran said:

I have used mine a few times at YYZ recently. It has long expired......

I applied for my renewal April of 2021 and still waiting. 

12 hours ago, broberts said:

Just renewed Dh Nexus and mine will be next month.  If they rescind the program, wonder if there will be a refund??  LOL....it's govt....who knows.

• Like 2

my renewal started in August 2020 and my in-person interview was cancelled due to the closure of the Pearson location.

I just flew into Terminal 3 Pearson two days ago and of the 6 Nexus machines, only 2 were working and they were taking extremely long to process.  We just walked to the Nexus immigration officer and handed our passport, nexus card, indicated that they machines were not working and he stamped us through.  

Sad really what is happening with this and how much money and time are our governments wasting on this back and forth about immunity from prosecution if they commit a crime?  I was a bit ***** about that... why would they need immunity from prosecution?  Do these US agents intend on committing crimes while working on Canadian soil?

Makes no sense to me.

The kicker is that we don't use Nexus for the USA - we almost NEVER go to the USA and would not fly through the USA unless there was no other hub to go through.  We use Nexus for faster security and arrival back to Canada from every other country that we go to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I received notification today by email that my application was conditionally approved. The next paragraph indicated “book an appointment”. There are none available within a 6 hour drive of our home for at least a year. 
Do renewals require an in-person interview? 
I did my husband’s renewal application at the same time & he hasn’t received an email yet. 

My husband and I both renewed at the same time.  He got approved online and mine was conditional on an interview.  None of my information had changed.  If your response says to book an interview, then you will have to go in person.

11 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

My husband and I both renewed at the same time.  He got approved online and mine was conditional on an interview.  None of my information had changed.  If your response says to book an interview, then you will have to go in person.

Are you able to find an appt for an interview anywhere within a reasonable time frame? We’re close to Ottawa & I can’t find anything within 5-6 hours of here. And, I’ve looked all through 2022 & 2023.

6 minutes ago, PatandStu said:

Are you able to find an appt for an interview anywhere within a reasonable time frame? We’re close to Ottawa & I can’t find anything within 5-6 hours of here. And, I’ve looked all through 2022 & 2023.

My understanding is there are no appointments in Canada 

3 hours ago, PatandStu said:

There are no appointments in Canada at all.  No virtual appointments.  We are just west of Toronto in Mississauga and we would have to drive to Port Huron or Detroit I think - and cross the border.  Not doing that.

What I fear is that if and when they do open appointments in Canada, the wait list will be very long.

For now, they keep extending my Nexus benefits, so I am not that worried.

58 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

There are no appointments in Canada at all.  No virtual appointments.  We are just west of Toronto in Mississauga and we would have to drive to Port Huron or Detroit I think - and cross the border.  Not doing that.

What I fear is that if and when they do open appointments in Canada, the wait list will be very long.

For now, they keep extending my Nexus benefits, so I am not that worried.

are there any on the Buffalo border?

I was aware of the “no appointments in Canada”. So I looked for anything upper New York State, but the closest I could find was an 8 hour drive to Vermont. Not doing that. I’ll take the 2 year extension & wait and see.