Nexus Trusted Traveler Renewal

iancal

20 hours ago, juraspark said:

That's fortunate as the Nexus cite is still showing all Canadian locations as closed. Perhaps they all are going to be opening soon!

I hope it wasn’t a site error, they had other appointments open there in 2023..  I am just a 45 minute drive away so no big loss if it was.

• Like 1

I was just able to book an appt at Landsdowne, Ontario for February 24, 2023. There were lots of time slots for February. It’s about a 90 minute drive for me. I’ll keep checking to see if there are cancellations sooner. We are cruising out of Nola on February 5 but my nexus is good till June. I was conditionally approved while DH got his without any interview required. No idea why I need an interview while he doesn’t. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 8:22 PM, juraspark said:

That's fortunate as the Nexus cite is still showing all Canadian locations as closed. Perhaps they all are going to be opening soon!

Hopefully the other Canadian sites will be opening, since the same issues that are keeping the other locations closed should apply there too. Unfortunately, Lansdowne is a 3+hr drive for us.

• Like 1

Edited by cdn_tbird
duplicate

Hopefully the other Canadian sites will be opening, since the same issues that are keeping the other locations closed should apply there too. Unfortunately, Lansdowne is a 3+hr drive for us.

As these two articles demonstrate, the NEXUS issue is far from being resolved:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-nexus-canada-businesses-washington/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nexus-hanging-by-a-thread-1.6641155

Additionally, this recently updated CBSA webpage states that Canadian enrolment centres remain closed:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/location-eng.html

I can only conclude that any appointment made for an interview at the Lansdowne enrolment centre in the near future resulted from a computer glitch. I'd suggest calling the CBSA offices at +1 800 461-9999 to verify.

• Like 3

The website indicates you start at the Champlain Canadian office, then cross to the US office to finish. But, in checking just now, it clearly states “no interviews available”. I do have a confirmation # and email, but I’ll be sure to verify before taking the drive. 

18 hours ago, PatandStu said:

The website indicates you start at the Champlain Canadian office, then cross to the US office to finish. But, in checking just now, it clearly states “no interviews available”. I do have a confirmation # and email, but I’ll be sure to verify before taking the drive. 

I did my renewal interview at the Champlain crossing a few months ago. I went straight to the US office and never needed to stop at the Canadian side at all. Both US and Canadian agents work out of the NEXUS office on the Champlain side (the Canadian side is called Lacolle). I first stopped to talk to the US agent, then when he was finished with me, I walked the 10 feet over to the CBSA agent to finish.

26 minutes ago, Senga said:

I have come across numerous ads for NEXUS card applications that promise you will be processed quickly and able to travel within 30 days!!!!!  What a bunch of scammers.

Yes, these are all over social media and especially TikTok

17 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

Nice!. That happened to me at the 5 year point . This time at 10 years I need another interview

I have renewed my Nexus at least twice (I think this was the third time) and have never required an interview.

This is our second renewal and no interviews were required. Waiting for my husbands card to arrive in mail now. Had a hell of a time logging into his account as I had to change his authentication as they won’t call landlines in Canada. Had to delete his account and change it. They used to call our home phone.

My Nexus expired August 2020.    I had an appointment booked at Toronto Pearson for September 2020 and I don't remember why it was after my expiry...?  Anyway, that appointment was cancelled because of covid and the fact that they shut the Canadian centres.

Originally the message was something like a one year extension, then went to a two year extension, now my message is vague with no date.

Due to a significant increase in application volume, we are extending the grace period to allow you continued full benefits while US Customs and Border Protection is finalizing your renewal application.

Odd part is that my husband and I renewed at the same time and he was granted online immediate renewal and got his new card, and I am required to report in person.  

We have still used Nexus a few times returning to Canada from overseas (we don't really ever travel to the USA) and my card works like it should.

6 hours ago, bennybear said:

DH is always approved and I always have to go interview for renewal🤷‍♀️
But good news today, after two years approved pending interview they approved me sans interview!  So there’s hope! 

Wow!  I have been waiting 2 years for interview!  Perhaps this will be a wave of approvals.  The fact is that the backlog will be considerable if they don't do something.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Do you have apply for a new card or just use your old one once you are approved? 

I had applied for renewal nearly two years ago,  and they said a new one is now being sent out.  

15 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Wow!  I have been waiting 2 years for interview!  Perhaps this will be a wave of approvals.  The fact is that the backlog will be considerable if they don't do something.

Hope it happens for you too!   I may have even been over two years,  just so glad it’s approved now.

On 11/18/2022 at 2:28 PM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Just got an email that my Nexus has been renewed until  2027 , did not have to do a interview 😁

We renewed ours as well until 2027.  However, we have just returned from a cruise, flying out of YUL to FLL.  Our Nexus card would not work at the kiosk.  We had to see a US Border Services Officer who told us it was not in fact officially renewed and could not be without an interview.  She did a bunch of stuff in the computer and told us we were good to go.  However, on our return, we could not get the card to work at the kiosk, and again had to see a Canadian customs officer.  Luckily most of them are "nice" enough to recognize we have tried, and allowed us still to use the shorter Nexus line.