No vaccine?

penlanspice

6 minutes ago, penlanspice said:

My sister is unvaccinated and I know you need to be to sail with ncl, what's the situation with booked cruises? She booked well over a year ago now, what's ncls policy?

Thanks

That doesn't seem clear.  Policy about cancellation?  Vaccinations?

11 minutes ago, penlanspice said:

My sister is unvaccinated and I know you need to be to sail with ncl, what's the situation with booked cruises? She booked well over a year ago now, what's ncls policy?

Thanks

If she decides to remain unvaccinated, she should cancel under NCL's Peace of Mind Policy asap. 

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/book-with-confidence 

NCL's current policy is 100% vaccination, you should plan on that NOT changing for the foreseeable future. 

Edited by aubreyc1988
  • Like 11

If she isn't past her final payment date, maybe she should cancel.  Norwegian isn't changing their policy any time soon.  If she is past final payment date, maybe she can call and try to get a refund by letting them know the cruise was booked before the requirement.

"Given the continued public health concerns and our commitment to protecting guests, crew and the communities we visit, we are extending our vaccination policy requirement for the foreseeable future. As such, we will require all guests and crew to 1) be fully vaccinated at least two weeks prior to departure, 2) acknowledge vaccination status prior to sailing and 3) present proof of vaccination at the pier at embarkation in order to board.  Guests who are not old enough to be vaccinated per the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), World Health Organization (WHO) and European Medicines Agency (EMA) are not permitted to sail. As science, technology and government regulations evolve, we will update our health and safety protocols as needed and appropriate."

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

Edited by TNcruising02

We're all sailing together and still outside of final payment, we were due to cruise in 2020 but it was cancelled due to covid so we took the fcc and rebooked this. 

She doesn't intend on getting vaccinated so obviously can't cruise, just wanted to know if anyone had cancelled as they weren't vaccinated. I know its going to be a situation as they used fcc to book this back 18 months ago.

48 minutes ago, penlanspice said:

We're all sailing together and still outside of final payment, we were due to cruise in 2020 but it was cancelled due to covid so we took the fcc and rebooked this. 

She doesn't intend on getting vaccinated so obviously can't cruise, just wanted to know if anyone had cancelled as they weren't vaccinated. I know its going to be a situation as they used fcc to book this back 18 months ago.

The issue is going to be that those FCCs have a book by date of the end of this month, and then a sail by date at the end of 2022.... and I think it's really unlikely the vaccine mandate will change by then. So you'll need to see if someone else can use those credits if possible. Maybe they will refund since that rule wasn't in place when she originally booked in 2020, but I'd start looking into it now.

1 hour ago, penlanspice said:

I'm sure there's a ton of people in this predicament.  Back in 2020 taking the FCC to get the bonus where we all thought COVID would be here and gone before we knew about it and now there's the vax requirement.  I thought there was a policy with NCL that if there was a vax requirement that was implemented AFTER you booked your cruise and even if you were using FCC you could request to get your money back vs being tied up in FCC.  Please report back what you find out. 

3 minutes ago, nicoleinwi said:

I'm sure there's a ton of people in this predicament.  Back in 2020 taking the FCC to get the bonus where we all thought COVID would be here and gone before we knew about it and now there's the vax requirement.  I thought there was a policy with NCL that if there was a vax requirement that was implemented AFTER you booked your cruise and even if you were using FCC you could request to get your money back vs being tied up in FCC.  Please report back what you find out. 

According to my T/A, it's a process to get $$ in return from FCC....

There now is a cash out option available where you have to fill out a form at this link to request it. Guest has to do it, not the travel agent.  https://www.ncl.com/case-submission There is no guarantee they will accept this option. In the comments section at the bottom state why you want the cash out option and not the FCC. You need to give them the original booking number, ship and sail date and attach the suspension notice for the cruise Norwegian suspended back in 2020. Reservation # is: ************...Original sail date & Ship. I've attached the notice you need to attach as well. (at the bottom of the form). If you decide to try this option, I will need to call in again to cancel before you can fill out the form. The groups department is closed today so I would not be able to call back today. The lady said you should get notified in 24-48 hours if they accept your request or not and if approved refunds are taking at least 90 days, maybe longer because of the current circumstances.

If they do accept this option, you will NOT get the 25% bonus FCC they gave you when they cancelled in 2020. You will only get the 100% you originally paid, which is $****.** each, total of $****.**, which is what you actually paid for the April 2020 cruise.

If they do not accept your request your will need to book something and apply credits by January 31, 2022, for a sailing by December 31, 2022. FCC's can take 14 business days to go back to your Latitude accounts before they can be applied to another booking.

9 minutes ago, Beer Belly said:

According to my T/A, it's a process to get $$ in return from FCC....

There now is a cash out option available where you have to fill out a form at this link to request it. Guest has to do it, not the travel agent.  https://www.ncl.com/case-submission There is no guarantee they will accept this option. In the comments section at the bottom state why you want the cash out option and not the FCC. You need to give them the original booking number, ship and sail date and attach the suspension notice for the cruise Norwegian suspended back in 2020. Reservation # is: ************...Original sail date & Ship. I've attached the notice you need to attach as well. (at the bottom of the form). If you decide to try this option, I will need to call in again to cancel before you can fill out the form. The groups department is closed today so I would not be able to call back today. The lady said you should get notified in 24-48 hours if they accept your request or not and if approved refunds are taking at least 90 days, maybe longer because of the current circumstances.

If they do accept this option, you will NOT get the 25% bonus FCC they gave you when they cancelled in 2020. You will only get the 100% you originally paid, which is $****.** each, total of $****.**, which is what you actually paid for the April 2020 cruise.

If they do not accept your request your will need to book something and apply credits by January 31, 2022, for a sailing by December 31, 2022. FCC's can take 14 business days to go back to your Latitude accounts before they can be applied to another booking.

We spoke with ncl about this earlier but its a case of filling in the form and wait to hear from them. Hopefully she will get accepted.

As others have said above when we booked we all thought covid would of disappeared by now and in no way envisioned this happening. I don't see why she should loose her money as this wasn't a condition when we booked to be vaccinated.

I'll report back when we find out.

Thanks

Is it just your sister in the cabin or are others in cabin still wanting to go on the cruise? 

My best friend was going to go on a cruise with me as our significant others did not want to go.  She will not get vaccinated, so I emailed my TA the options of what I would like to do.

1.  Just remove her from the booking and keep same cabin.

2.  Cancel the original booking and then downgrade to lower category and book as a single person.

My TA talked with NCL and to keep original booking with just removing the friend would cost only a little more than booking as a single at a lower category.  Current prices higher than a year ago when originally booked.

I decided to keep the original balcony cabin.  NCL removed the friends Taxes & Fees, and the gratuities for the drink pkg and dine pkg.  I paid double the cruise fare and my taxes & fees, and gratuities for drink and dine pkg's.  I did not get any benefit from the 2nd person flies free, so am paying the full price for NCL air which is lots less than booking the air on my own.

My brother-in-law and sister-in-law will be on the ship so I will not be totally alone.

• Like 1

Given the latest trend in UK and EU countries, unless OP is doing a round-trip out of the UK soon, I just don't see how a cruise ship passenger can travel abroad and/or be permitted to embark on NCL (and, probably, most other cruise lines) or able to fly to another port ... not unless restrictions are eased and vaccination requirements are no longer in force. But, IMHO, not going to happen anytime soon.  Sorry.

Between CDC's and US State Dept's advisories, plus the latest WHO comment / forecast on Omicorn hitting EU member countries hard next (search/Google/Bing the news yourself, easily found on BBC and AP News, etc.) infecting many, regardless, despite most with mild symptoms or remaining asymptomatic ... not good.  It is like dropping a nuclear device on the entire cruise industry ...

It seems that exercising that option to request a refund instead as outlined & linked above is the way to go.  UK and EU bookings have different rules and terms that govern, perhaps check that out carefully.  

Edited by mking8288

13 minutes ago, penlanspice said:

We spoke with ncl about this earlier but its a case of filling in the form and wait to hear from them. Hopefully she will get accepted.

As others have said above when we booked we all thought covid would of disappeared by now and in no way envisioned this happening. I don't see why she should loose her money as this wasn't a condition when we booked to be vaccinated.

I'll report back when we find out.

Thanks

When you booked...like all of us, we did not think we'd be here 2 years later, but we are.  Cruise lines are dealing with so much uncertainty, the protocols change week by week.  I hope she gets her $ back but if she doesn't, it is what it is.

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Given the latest trend in UK and EU countries, unless OP is doing a round-trip out of the UK soon, I just don't see how a cruise ship passenger can travel abroad and/or be permitted to embark on NCL (and, probably, most other cruise lines) or able to fly to another port ... not unless restrictions are eased and vaccination requirements are no longer in force. But, IMHO, not going to happen anytime soon.  Sorry.

Between CDC's and US State Dept's advisories, plus the latest WHO comment / forecast on Omicorn hitting EU member countries hard next (search/Google/Bing the news yourself, easily found on BBC and AP News, etc.) infecting many, regardless, despite most with mild symptoms or remaining asymptomatic ... not good.  It is like dropping a nuclear device on the entire cruise industry ...

It seems that exercising that option to request a refund instead as outlined & linked above is the way to go.  UK and EU bookings have different rules and terms that govern, perhaps check that out carefully.  

My sister isn't going to be travelling anywhere, she doesn't plan to travel abroad so thats not the issue for her. Its always harder to get resolves with an issues when you book with a UK Travel agent as opposed to a USA agent in our past experiences.

Anyone from the UK can fly to America and get on a cruise anywhere currently, we are vaccinated and still plan to cruise.

3 hours ago, penlanspice said:

My sister isn't going to be travelling anywhere, she doesn't plan to travel abroad so thats not the issue for her. Its always harder to get resolves with an issues when you book with a UK Travel agent as opposed to a USA agent in our past experiences.

Anyone from the UK can fly to America and get on a cruise anywhere currently, we are vaccinated and still plan to cruise.

Isn’t vaccination required along with a negative test?

This is strictly FYI for others only:  crossed check on nephew's IATA's TIMATIC portal - which matches what's online USDOS's BCA - 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/emergencies/covid-19-faqs-for-travel-to-the-us-information.html

Short answer raised by CPT - yes.  There are exceptions, i.e. medical grounds like immuno risks but as a general rule ...   Oy vey, it appeared that only NCL can best OP answer and rule on the particulars.  

Edited by mking8288

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2022 at 3:56 PM, penlanspice said:

Thanks

Hey, did you get anywhere with this? We have an NCL sailing in April that was booked 2 years ago, our 8yo daughter is on the booking and won't be vaccinated (we're also UK). Our TA is being a little bit evasive suggesting NCL may change 100% vaccine policy (despite NCL publicly stating otherwise). 

17 minutes ago, CruisingCats5 said:

Hey, did you get anywhere with this? We have an NCL sailing in April that was booked 2 years ago, our 8yo daughter is on the booking and won't be vaccinated (we're also UK). Our TA is being a little bit evasive suggesting NCL may change 100% vaccine policy (despite NCL publicly stating otherwise). 

I wouldn’t count on NCL removing the vaccine policy any time soon. Any change is more likely to be requiring boosters rather than removing things.

Your only hope is that they recognise that not having a lower age limit for the vaccine requirement means that they are losing a potential pool of passengers whose kids are not eligible. So far there have been zero sign that they are even considering this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

I wouldn’t count on NCL removing the vaccine policy any time soon. Any change is more likely to be requiring boosters rather than removing things.

Your only hope is that they recognise that not having a lower age limit for the vaccine requirement means that they are losing a potential pool of passengers whose kids are not eligible. So far there have been zero sign that they are even considering this.

What is the age limitation in the UK? Here in the USA, all 5 and over can get vaccinated.

20 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

What is the age limitation in the UK? Here in the USA, all 5 and over can get vaccinated.

To be honest, I didn’t know as it stopped being relevant to us once our son was eligible.

A quick Google search suggests it is 12, although I didn’t read the detail so may be wrong.

If it is 12 then that is a sizeable proportion of people who are usually filling the NCL ships during UK holiday time that won’t be able to cruise under the current rules. I suspect that won’t bother them too much this year but in the long term it would have an impact.

7 hours ago, CruisingCats5 said:

We're still waiting to hear from ncl but our agent believes she will be refunded. The policy isn't going to change anytime soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, penlanspice said:

We're still waiting to hear from ncl but our agent believes she will be refunded. The policy isn't going to change anytime soon.

Thanks for coming back and updating us, but I can't imagine why it is taking almost 10 days for NCL to respond.  For them, it is a pretty simple yes or no answer.

1 hour ago, ECCruise said:

Thanks for coming back and updating us, but I can't imagine why it is taking almost 10 days for NCL to respond.  For them, it is a pretty simple yes or no answer.

It's not as easy as that at the min, you need to fill out the form, the regular agents have no access to that information and at the min and they are taking upto 30 days to respond. Hopefully shiuld be anytime

17 minutes ago, penlanspice said:

It's not as easy as that at the min, you need to fill out the form, the regular agents have no access to that information and at the min and they are taking upto 30 days to respond. Hopefully shiuld be anytime

Good luck then.