The Daily for Tuesday 01/18/2022

richwmn

Good morning all.  We have an A.A. Milne collection on the shelf here and DGD is hearing the stories.  Gourmet Coffee Day brings to mind my very sweet BIL who passed away.  Dirk managed a coffee company on North Shore of Oahu and was a master roaster.  He used to keep us supplied with peaberry coffee he roasted himself.  It was out of this world good.   

The lists are pretty lopsided just now.  Sometimes when it seems like all the news is bad news, I go here:   https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

@mamaofami, I really feel for you, trying to find a good caregiver.  My mother was bedridden for the last several years of her life and nobody seemed able to provide both good physical care and decent companionship.  We finally settled on a young lady who was very good with the physical care.  Mom was clean, her meds were correct, and she ate well.  We had to make sure the family provided the social part of things.  There were a couple of aides who were great company, but were lax about physical care.  All frustrating!  I hope things fall into place for you and Sam.

It will be a quiet, rainy day here in San Diego.  The weather around the country is something else!  🌨️   ☃️   ❄️

Thanks so much to Rich and Company for the Daily.  Saying prayers for those on the care list and "cheers" to those celebrating.  Have a great day, Everyone.

• Like 24

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily @richwmn and all contributors.

I used to use a thesaurus when writing papers in school; not much now. I've never read the Pooh books or seen Winnie the Pooh animated stories. I will salute gourmet coffee! I try to bring some home when I travel.

Good quote. The veggie bowl is not for me. I'll pass on the drink, but take the wine.

I haven't been to Valencia. Thanks for the pictures.

It's flurrying here, but otherwise not too bad. The ice melt I put down on the walkways has kept them clear, plus it's supposed to be 40F tomorrow, before the deep freeze starts. I did have a few aches from the shoveling, but they are gone. My garage is on an alley, which has been untouched. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow for my blood work appointment. Maybe they'll be along to plow it today. My little town uses a pickup truck with a plow on the front and salt spreader on the back. 

The house is smelling great from the baking of sourdough bread loaves.

@kazu Prayers for Jose and you. Also praying for comfort in the loss of Miko. I'm glad Marley's infection is cleared, and hopefully the protein is gone.

@smitty34877 I hope Tana is going to get out of ICU.

@Cruzin Terri Prayers for your DH's Mohs surgery on Thursday.

@mamaofami I hope you find a caring aide for Sam.

@Cruising-along Fingers crossed for DS and DDIL getting the house. I hope DD's cat will be ok.

@Sharon in AZ I'm glad to hear DS's family is recovered. I just found out that the mother of friend is hospitalized with Covid and Shingles! She's in her 80's, so I hope she'll be ok.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@kazu Prayers for Jose and you. Also praying for comfort in the loss of Miko. I'm glad Marley's infection is cleared, and hopefully the protein is gone.

@smitty34877 I hope Tana is going to get out of ICU.

@Cruzin Terri Prayers for your DH's Mohs surgery on Thursday.

@mamaofami I hope you find a caring aide for Sam.

@Cruising-along Fingers crossed for DS and DDIL getting the house. I hope DD's cat will be ok.

@Sharon in AZ I'm glad to hear DS's family is recovered. I just found out that the mother of friend is hospitalized with Covid and Shingles! She's in her 80's, so I hope she'll be ok.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Vanessa, I'm sorry to hear about your friend's Mom having Covid and shingles at the same time, and having to be hospitalized.  That must be awful for her.  Prayers they can help with the pain of shingles while they treat her Covid.  Poor dear!

• Like 16

My twin was telling me she got a 23andMe test from her son as a gift so she sent it off to find out from her DNA what our ancestry was.  It also told her she has an increased risk of getting age related macular degeneration.  Our Mom had that.

But we enjoyed discussing where our ancestors were from.  She is (and I assume I am)  French/German/Dutch (60.4%) with British and Irish added (33.6%) to total 94%.  The other 6% is Finnish, Scandinavian, Broadly Northwestern European, Eastern European, and Ashkenazi Jewish.  I find it all so fascinating.  

Anyone else here try doing this?

• Like 19

Good morning and thanks all!  Love Winnie the Pooh,. I thought I was married to eyesore, lol! 
@dfish those bowls look delicious.,  I love the great recipes you always find, thank you! 
@kazu hoping that the glimmer of hope for Marley  brightens further!    Sending lots of prayers! 
@cat shepard another interesting wine, thanks! 

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Amazing! Two consecutive days I haven’t had to reboot, erase history or log back in to post or like a post. can I hear a AMEN!

59 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

AMEN!!

40 minutes ago, irishjim said:

Amen.

amen, amen, amen! 

@StLouisCruisers DH has done a lot of genealogy and DNA, interesting stuff.     I’ve done mine medically.   

have a good day everyone!

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Dailyites, thanks to Rich, Roy, Jacqui and all who post such interesting stuff.  "Me, too" on all the good wishes and prayers - I wish there were a "Me, too" button on the Like site!  

My thesaurus is beside my place at the table, as we are cryptic crossword fiends.  Pat prefers his dictionary.   In 1996, Canada Post issued a set of Winnie-the-Pooh stamps.

IMG_6714.thumb.JPG.e6bc9ab82e2d8c8babeab5a02baabf11.JPG

In 2014, on our Atlantic Adventurer Maasdam cruise, we stopped in Valencia and had a tour of the St. Joseph caves and Valencia.  I have a lot of photos!

P1070716.thumb.JPG.f5cf0c7bf612e7bdd058b72f5bd48ccf.JPG

IMG_0001.jpg.c7409908c8c3c526862332f4c080d71c.jpg

P1070882.thumb.JPG.5e9b007558a87c364ff15153127033fa.JPG

P1070856.thumb.JPG.2d2c18e5e73db3af20dc47175061a2c9.JPG

P1070899.thumb.JPG.dcbc6ecc1ed5803dd7995abdf98b545e.JPG

P1070875.thumb.JPG.be295fcc1d388bf67e15159f65d72c0a.JPG

P1070754.thumb.JPG.3c64911d24f623f59aa8d0ad31444a4c.JPG

P1070945.thumb.JPG.0c48778e6032e8decc6805f0c4cf5558.JPG

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 5

23 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

My twin was telling me she got a 23andMe test from her son as a gift so she sent it off to find out from her DNA what our ancestry was.  It also told her she has an increased risk of getting age related macular degeneration.  Our Mom had that.

But we enjoyed discussing where our ancestors were from.  She is (and I assume I am)  French/German/Dutch (60.4%) with British and Irish added (33.6%) to total 94%.  The other 6% is Finnish, Scandinavian, Broadly Northwestern European, Eastern European, and Ashkenazi Jewish.  I find it all so fascinating.  

I did it the Ancestry one. I've found some possible cousins. I was adopted, and finally was able to get my original birth certificate (tough in NJ until recently). My birth mother was 16 at the time. Through some old newspaper clippings and some commonalities on Ancestry family trees, I have a last name possibly for my father, but no first name. I need to do more digging on Ancestry. Interestingly I found a scrap of paper that a friend of my adopted mother gave me with the last name of "my family" and it matches the last name from Ancestry matches.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 27

Good Morning Everyone,

Been a while since I posted, been quite busy,  I try to read the Daily everyday though.

# 2 Daughter and her family have the Covid and the boys are on the mend and get to return to school today.  Interesting how one son and her tested positive, the other 3 boys and her husband were negative, but yet they had symptoms.  Any way they stayed isolated  and we did a "drive by" homework drop off for the boys!  Fortunately # 1 daughter and her family have not gotten it, even though the cousins spend much of their time together (same school and our house after school).

Hubby got his booster yesterday, I need to get mine but with the reaction the first twos time I have been dragging my feet, I will wait till next week, so if I don't feel well for a couple of days it won't be the same days!

@mamaofami  I am sorry you are having such trouble with caregivers.  We have been having troubles too.  Dad's main caregiver hurt herself (at another job) and some of the replacements have not been helpful, we got one that is wonderful and we asked to have her assigned full time, but they won't do it as she is the "float" and fills in for others when they are off.  I can see why she is the float,  she is good with Dad, takes initiative and works with him, she doesn't have to be watch and reminded of her duties!  Gives Dad's wife a much need break.

Still watching some cruise plans, January has always been my time, to look and plan for future trips while it is to cold to go outside much!

Take care and I hope all stay well, prayers to all who are sick and hurting.

Denise

• Like 24

19 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Just a quick FYI.. for those of us in the USA..the free COVID test kit site is now live.

I just ordered mine - thank you! It didn’t ask for insurance info - I thought they were going to bill insurance companies for them or something … 🤨

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all! We owe much to MLK, I just hope the advancements we’ve made aren’t starting to erode.

@kazu Jacqui, my deepest condolences on Miko crossing the Rainbow Bridge. This is heartbreaking, and far more than you should have to shoulder at this time. Continued prayers for you, Jose, and Marley.
@mamaofami Carole, what an awful experience, and I’m so glad that aide is out of your house! I wonder why he has gone into a line of work he is so clearly unsuited for? Thank goodness you have changed agencies. The other one seems to be clueless as far as appropriate staffing goes.

We have company today, who are helping with the gingerbread house demolition.

Happy Tuesday! If you’re stuck home in bad weather, look at this mat picture and pretend your standing on one aboard a BHB!
7C7A071A-91EC-4CD4-B7AB-ECC45D1CDDC2.thumb.jpeg.c93251106300f0025144f5babd7d6fb8.jpeg

• Like 24

30 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Just a quick FYI.. for those of us in the USA..the free COVID test kit site is now live.

Just because I haven't been paying attention - do you know the Covid test kit site address?

Thanks in advance!

Laura

• Like 11

@kazuSo glad to hear Marley is doing better.   But that ice.......please be careful!

We had over 40 cm of snow yesterday.  Schools and daycares were all closed. Our snow service finally arrived at 5 am this morning.

DS and his family are all feeling better after Covid, and the kids are back to school.  DDIL got to go back to work, after being off since before Xmas.

I have a Winnie given to me by nieces and nephews when I graduated from high school.  He has made a lot of moves with me over the years. 

• Like 18

14 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I did it the Ancestry one. I've found some possible cousins. I was adopted, and finally was able to get my original birth certificate (tough in NJ until recently). My birth mother was 16 at the time. Through some old newspaper clippings and some commonalities on Ancestry family trees, I have a last name possibly for my father, but no first name. I need to do more digging on Ancestry. Interestingly I found a scrap of paper that a friend of my adopted mother gave me with the last name of "my family" and it matches the last name from Ancestry matches.

It's like a mystery, isn't it?  I hope you can find more relatives.

Something unique in our family is my great grandfather had two wives (widowed) and changed his last name by adding a letter to his original name when he remarried and had more children.  So his children from the second wife have a different spelling than our side.  He had 15 children total.  But it makes it hard to keep the family tree organized.   🤔

• Like 19

31 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Tell your eye professional the next time you visit.

My mother was diagnosed with Macular Degeneration. and her ophthalmologist put her on an over the counter vitamin/mineral supplement.  That seemed to stabilized her eyes.  

When I mentioned to my optomitrist that my mother had been so diagnosed, she made a similar recommendation for me.  I've been taking them, two per day, for about 15 years now.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sandi I did it a few years ago with Ancestry.  I've been lax in keeping up with it, there always seems to be something else to do (like cruise planning!)  But I've found some relatives.  @JazzyVVanessa what a great story and how exciting!

My results are:

Scotland 39%

England and NW Europe  30%

Germanic Europe 16%

Sweden and Denmark 7%

France 5% (I was surprised at this low number, as my great-grandfather was born and lived in France)

Norway 2%

Baltics 1%

As my Mother always said, "a smattering of a lot of things" lol.

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1