The Daily for Tuesday 01/18/2022

richwmn

Today is Thesaurus Day, Winnie the Pooh Day, and National Gourmet Coffee Day

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.--Oscar Wilde

Meal Suggestion for today - steamed winter veggie bowls
Drink of the Day - Green Eyed Ginger
Wine of the Day - Umani Ronchi 2019 Podere (Montepulciano d'Abruzzo)
Destination of the Day - Valencia, Spain

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Eurodam  

At Sea Caribbean

Rotterdam  

Zuiderdam  

Destination Cartagena CO eta 1/19

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam  

Destination Honolulu, HI US eta 1/23

St Georges Grenada

Nieuw Statendam  

Ships Without Passengers

Corfu GR

Volendam  

Zaandam  

Limassol CY

Oosterdam  

Anchorage

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam  

Anchorage

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US

Nieuw Amsterdam  

Anchorage

Noordam  

0118Caribbean.thumb.png.6653a00cb09ba5900dacef42de83c3db.png

0119NAmericaW.thumb.png.5ff93c53870f95b1e06d53e27eddd3ad.png

0118Europe.thumb.png.295f7802c49ebbfb4b254b1f5107cd1d.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 14

Good morning all!

Love today's assortment of 'days'...finding a new word to add to my vocabulary is fun and I will often use a 'digital thesaurus' to find the right one.  Winnie the Pooh has been a favorite of mine since childhood - I have a full collection of Pooh storybooks I'll be passing on to my granddaughter so she can enjoy that silly lovable bear and his friends.  Gourmet coffee?  Love gourmet beans, but no need to add syrups and foams and such.  A good rich hot cup of java first thing in the morning takes me to my happy place.

So many in our group in need of good thoughts - hoping that you each find that single bright moment today that lets you know things are turning toward the better.  

Will check in later...

• Like 33

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

A thesaurus is a handy thing.  Love Winnie the Pooh.  I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but gourmet coffee is a lovely treat on a cold winter's day.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

The drink sounds tasty too, thanks @summer slope

I'm sure the wine will be good.

I've never been to today's port, hope there are lots of pictures.

We missed the worst of the snow storm yesterday but other areas are still digging out.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 31

Good Tuesday morning everyone and thanks for the report.  Oh bother, what’s another word for thesaurus?  Gourmet coffee is always welcome.  Could probably use a meatless dinner today so maybe on the meal suggestion.  I like the quote but since most of the world lives in poverty I doubt they have the luxury of living their best lives.  The drink sounds nice, I like ginger so I would probably try one.  I haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.

• Like 28
  • Haha 2

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  Never a fan of Winnie the Pooh, much past my time.  I used to have a thesaurus but haven't seen one in years.  I love coffee but prefer the plain stuff.  Love the Wilde quote.  Been to many Spanish ports but not Valencia.  Late to bed last night as I dozed off in my chair till way past my intended time.  Accomplished virtually nothing after 8 PM.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, dealing with more than should be on anyone’s shoulders
Saint John Hospital Covid Situation
Miko over Rainbow Bridge

Welfare of furloughed crews
RIP Walker
Mamaofami, Sam and the search for a new aide
Tana in hospital with poor prognosis
MissG’s dad with pneumonia
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice and stressful return to Louisiana with possible covid exposure
Cruzin Terri DH MOSE surgery 1/20
Numerious dailyite friends and family with covid
From the rotation:
HAL Sailor DH health issues
NextOne  DDIL with mystery illness
summer slope BCC surgery in February
rafinmd recovering from radiation side effects

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome to the Daily SUESEABE
5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers        
Carnival Group  hospital ships Nieuw Amsterdam, Crown Princess, and Queen Victoria
summer slope , sassy~one and bobpatj , (Rotterdam to1/29), and boytje (Millennium to 1/17) at sea
Cruzin Terri computer problemsolved
Progress for luvteaching DH
cunnorl successful MOSE
StLouisCruisers DSIL going to be with his sick mother in Florida
Tana breathing better
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 11

Good afternoon from a sunny 41°F NE England.

It was below freezing overnight but pleasant now.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thanks also Roy for today's lists.

I'm sure we all know Winnie the Pooh.

I have used a Thesaurus dictionary many times when I was younger.

I love coffee and always go for Arabic coffee.

Good quote and probably applies to lots of people in the world.

Nice food but don't drink red wine.

Valencia is a lovely city on the East coast of Spain.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220118_121113.jpg

Screenshot_20220118_122011.jpg

Screenshot_20220118_122052.jpg

Screenshot_20220118_122139.jpg

Screenshot_20220118_122220.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 6

13 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  Never a fan of Winnie the Pooh, much past my time.  I used to have a thesaurus but haven't seen one in years.  I love coffee but prefer the plain stuff.  Love the Wilde quote.  Been to many Spanish ports but not Valencia.  Late to bed last night as I dozed off in my chair till way past my intended time.  Accomplished virtually nothing after 8 PM.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, dealing with more than should be on anyone’s shoulders
Saint John Hospital Covid Situation
Miko over Rainbow Bridge

Welfare of furloughed crews
RIP Walker
Mamaofami, Sam and the search for a new aide
Tana in hospital with poor prognosis
MissG’s dad with pneumonia
kakalina with spreading lung cancer in hospice and stressful return to Louisiana with possible covid exposure
Cruzin Terri DH MOSE surgery 1/20
Numerious dailyite friends and family with covid
From the rotation:
HAL Sailor DH health issues
NextOne  DDIL with mystery illness
summer slope BCC surgery in February
rafinmd recovering from radiation side effects

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome to the Daily SUESEABE
5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers        
Carnival Group  hospital ships Nieuw Amsterdam, Crown Princess, and Queen Victoria
summer slope , sassy~one and bobpatj , (Rotterdam to1/29), and boytje (Millennium to 1/17) at sea
Cruzin Terri computer problemsolved
Progress for luvteaching DH
cunnorl successful MOSE
StLouisCruisers DSIL going to be with his sick mother in Florida
Tana breathing better
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thanks for the lists, Roy.  I hope you are well these days.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich. A wonderful combination of days!

Thank you for our lists, Roy. Happy to read that you were able to finish your Pops concert. Morning Dailyites! Another nippy morning where Bindi refused to go out. She is heading off to Day Camp, while the ceilings in my kitchen, family room and entry hall are painted. I may do takeout from the new Thai restaurant near me for supper. 

Continuing our Winter series…

4DAC3D0D-A165-4329-8DBE-FF45D1B2FE75.jpeg.0099d5959e64d223ad0c0ad45e3e3103.jpeg

A872E099-2FD1-4E71-AA99-40BD8BAF6048.jpeg.4e567d4c2780ac45b6f8b75bd7d2e50a.jpeg

48F33921-92A0-4666-8CCB-52194BB18198.jpeg.3b343c7a5542181eea233613ef4bdf90.jpeg

Praying for all who need our support. Extra prayers for Tana & Jose, their families and support teams. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Umani Ronchi 2019 Podere (Montepulcianod'Abruzzo)

Another wine I would love to try. Very good ratings and a “try me” price! Online prices start at $9.98!

Winemaker Notes

Montepulciano is one of the most widespread indigenous varieties in Italy, and is cultivated predominently along the Adriatic side of the peninsula. The Umani Ronchi version of Montepulciano d’Abruzzo is intended to be an interpretation of this vine which aims to exalt its varietal characteristics and its freshness, combining these qualities with just the right amount of charm and softness. The result is a very pleasant and drinkable wine which goes with many different kinds of dishes.

V89 Vinous

It’s hard to pull away from the glass, as the 2019 Montepulciano d'Abruzzo Podere wafts up notes of crushed violets, sweet spice, blackberries and wet stone. It’s soft and round, further soothing the senses with a pure display of ripe red berries as cooling acids maintain freshness. Purple-tinged florals and salty minerals linger, making for a pleasant conclusion to such a satisfying glass of no-frills Montepulciano.

WE89 Wine Enthusiast

This tasty red begins with intense aromas of blood orange, juiced red cherry, tobacco and thyme. There’s ample concentration to these tones on the medium bodied palate, with fresh acidity and soothing tannins framing it all. This is a solid weekday red to enjoy solo or alongside pizza, pasta and other casual fare. Best Buys

• Like 31
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 4

Today's sunset is another from my 2016 Queen Victoria transatlantic that saved me from flying out of Baltimore in the middle of snowmageddon.  January 18 was a snow day more or less midway between Puerto Delgado and Port Canaveral.

dusk1118.jpg

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, everyone.  

We are still digging out from snowmageddon in northeast Ohio.   Most schools are closed.   I have a plow service but they did a very poor job yesterday and actually caused me more work than not having them.  They came back early this morning to do the job correctly.  I dug a path to the front door yesterday and will be able to better define that path today.  

Today's meal looks interesting, but I still have that big batch of chicken soup to eat.  That is sounding good to me, even for breakfast!

This one says it is just what we want in winter when we can't stand the thought of another roasted vegetable.  Ummm, that has never happened here.  https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/steamed-winter-veggie-bowls

152932858_Steamedwinterveggiebowl7.thumb.jpg.d455d9cfe46382b57533f23ad132dbbe.jpg

You don't need the bamboo steamer that this recipe uses, but if you have one, dig it out!  The chili orange seasoning is different from most of the steamed veggie recipes.  I bet you could use the sauce on roasted veggies as well.    https://www.loveandlemons.com/chili-orange-veggie-bowl/

552712512_steamedwinterveggiebowl6.jpg.3d210a8daee59231a2441a10d38b1141.jpg

This recipe adds some quinoa and either chicken or tofu, depending on your desire, to give a well rounded meal.   https://www.healthygffamily.com/recipe/steamed-veggie-rainbow-bowl/

155861631_steamedwinterveggiebowl5.thumb.jpg.de94d401d846bea55c74667c50d63854.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially @kazu Jacqui and Jose, Tana and Kakalina.  

Enjoy!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 11

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds interesting I’ll wait for @dfish recipes.  It may require a side of meat to keep DH happy.  I do enjoy a good cup of coffee.  Before the shutdown I found Santo Domingo coffee and enjoyed it very much, not expensive.  I thought it better than Starbucks.  Can’t find it locally now.  
I hope everyone has a good day.
image.png.7ad9aaa94d8921a5a1bb4df5c69790c5.png

• Like 17
  • Haha 20

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!   I've been DH's thesaurus for years, especially when he began writing; I'll often hear "Ger, what's another word for ___", so I come up with something.  Always love Winnie The Pooh, especially since he's Canadian.  I enjoy a good cup of coffee, but you can't always find great tasting decaf.  These days our main drink is tea.

Well the storm system that was predicted for last night seems to have just huffed and puffed and that's about it - thankfully.  It seems we had a bit of snow overnight and a wind that has polished the streets to an icy sheen, but other than that we've been spared a storm.  The temps have dropped (won't be seeing any shorts out there today) to around -20C (-4F), which is fine, as it isn't bitter cold.  We feel bad when we see all the storm reports from Eastern Canada and the US, knowing how hard it is to deal with all that wet, heavy snow.

Yesterday as we were getting ready to take DH to his chiro appointment we got a call from their office saying his chiropractor was out of the office and wouldn't be returning until Saturday.  Hmm, sounds like he was a close contact to someone who has Covid and is self-isolating.  DH decided he'd wait until next week to go back to have his treatment.  I offered to walk on his back, but he declined . . . hmmm.  

A friend sent this to me and it really made me giggle:

Feta.jpg.e9fb3b58d4155bf628b03efca9df1548.jpg

@mamaofamiI hope you have better luck getting an aide for Sam today.

@kazu I'm sure you've been hugging Marley much tighter, these past 24 hours.  I had another friend call to say that yesterday she had to make the decision to let their sweet little kitty go over the Rainbow Bridge as well, so Miko has a new friend.  

I'll look forward to seeing today's menu suggestion, but it sounds more like a side dish than a main.  We'll be finishing the chicken off for lunch today, so I think I'll make a small pot of stew that can simmer all afternoon.  Stew, some buns and a salad will make a good dinner for a cold winter's night.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Jacqui Jose, the medical team, and for those going through rough times.  We'll clink the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay warm, be safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, get your boosters, and be well.

Smooth Sailing!   🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 39
  • Haha 1

i love words, so a Thesaurus day is awesome! When my brother passed away, his wife gave me his old A. A. Milne books that our mother had read to us when we were little. Really touched me… 

I LOVE coffee, but as a good sailor I don’t drink the frou-frou stuff 😁

Steamed winter veggies sounds good today, but we’re having pot roast leftovers. 

No drink for me - I don’t like ginger or whiskey ☹️  

I do love a good montepulciano, so will have to try that one. 

Spain is beautiful… ❤️

Edited by Navybikermom
  • Like 30

Good morning.  We were in Valencia in October 2016. The city of arts and science is a futuristic development in Valencia and quite a contrast to the rest of the older city. Below is one of my favorite pictures my husband took.   

D3B5EA6F-5980-4D69-9A27-7F1E58BEF58C.jpeg

Edited by swin26
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Good morning friends!  It was about 28F when we awoke today but should be pretty sunny and into the mid 50's today.  The weather just can't make up its mind!  Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor posting the Daily and to Roy @rafinmdfor posting the Care and Celebration lists.  It's not easy keeping up with this busy crowd!  Prayers were said already today for all on the Care list, especially Jose, Jacqui, Miko in heaven, Marley, Tana, Kakalina, and Walker.  🙏  A salute to all who have happy news and cruises to enjoy. 

Today's menu item sounds good, gourmet coffee is fine for the rest of you but I'm not a coffee drinker so you can have my share.  A thesaurus is a handy tool to help us find our words.  No thanks to the drink and wine of the day.

@Cruzin Terrigood luck to your DH at his Mohs surgery Thursday.  I learned something when I was researching Mohs surgery.  It is not an acronym - it is named after the developer Dr. Fred Mohs!  Seems at our ages, we are all in the dermatologist office hearing this treatment discussed.

As mentioned the first time we had Valencia, Spain on May 10, 2021 we were in Valencia on our 2018 Prinsendam Grand Voyage (Africa and Mediterranean).  It was a cloudy Sunday morning and we got into town by shuttle bus quite early.  No crowds but very little open either.  By the time we had walked all around the old town part it was beginning to wake up a little.

The entrance we were dropped off at.enhance

enhance

One of the few things open was this market.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

The door to this "museum" was standing open, free admission so we stepped inside to see what it was all about.  Basically, this was all we saw.  A foyer...enhance

And this beautiful room.  Check out that ceiling!   Now that's ornate...enhance

To continue on...enhance

enhance

Arriving at the Valencia Cathedral we stepped inside for a look.enhance

enhance

Those ceilings!enhance

We walked around the old town some more and found a different gate out.  Then had to find the shuttle bus stop which we finally did.  An interesting stroll around Valencia.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 7