Cancelled my first Crystal Cruise and rebooked on Celebrity

Jim_Iain

Hi, Jim, we had the same thoughts....to try Crystal, and had paid in full for a March cruise.  We also contested the charge due to non-delivery of service purchased, and there is no issue with getting a full refund, partly due to the reserve fund for “new”payments.  Very disappointed to never have done Crystal, and surely hate to see the employees in such a predicament....not to mention the passengers.  Sad all the way around.

So, we are now going to try Oceania and Regent.  We are finding that a Celebrity Sky suite for the Caribbean is significantly more expensive than a comparable Concierge Suite on Oceania (slightly smaller than the Sky), and moderately more expensive than a penthouse suite, looking at per day prices.  

I’m glad you will get your money back!

Joanie

Edited by GeorgiaPeach51
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Just checked with Chase Sapphire and they said that there were recent changes to the Travel Protection Coverage  due to insolvency on almost all charge cards.  

Basically you will be covered on a deposit under the terms that you did not take the trip and have a fully refundable deposit.    You will however no longer be covered for additional costs like  hotels, cars, lodging  etc. under the Travel Protection Coverage due to trip interruption caused by insolvency of a travel provider.

She said my account had already been given a temporary credit back to my credit card.

I remember that change in coverage occurring at the end of 2019 right when we took our last cruise.

48 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

I remember that change in coverage occurring at the end of 2019 right when we took our last cruise.

At this point, I would, and have, only ever put down the minimum required for a deposit for any future cruise.  There are tough times ahead for this industry, even after Covid "passes".

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

The problem will be with the FCC in the event that Crystal goes under and does not resume cruising. Those FCC's are then worthless. 

Something for everyone to be aware of when they take FCC. You had better use it quickly or it could evaporate.

I Am sure some of our CPA's can figure out how to make it a 'tax deduction' one way or another if you itemize...

bon voyage

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I booked direct with Crystal.   They have a "Relaxed" deposit policy and is currently 15%.   Pretty stiff compared to Celebrity. 

Celeb was/is very good with deposit amts.. one reason we did not try Azamara was b/c they were more complicated/ strict.

Hope u find another option for  your surprise..

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

I Am sure some of our CPA's can figure out how to make it a 'tax deduction' one way or another if you itemize...

bon voyage

Yes, the tax situation and recovery was already discussed on the Crystal board. They will not get it all back, but something is better than nothing.

This has been a real eye opener for many. Viking wants full payment a year in advance..LOL! Their sheep just follow along.

10 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Hi, Jim, we had the same thoughts....to try Crystal, and had paid in full for a March cruise.  We also contested the charge due to non-delivery of service purchased, and there is no issue with getting a full refund, partly due to the reserve fund for “new”payments.  Very disappointed to never have done Crystal, and surely hate to see the employees in such a predicament....not to mention the passengers.  Sad all the way around.

So, we are now going to try Oceania and Regent.  We are finding that a Celebrity Sky suite for the Caribbean is significantly more expensive than a comparable Concierge Suite on Oceania (slightly smaller than the Sky), and moderately more expensive than a penthouse suite, looking at per day prices.  

Joanie

Lesson learned.  Best to stick with the small luxury lines owned by larger cruise corporations with deeper pockets right now although of course anything can happen.  I would be worried about Azamara since it got cut loose.  But Silversea should be OK.

14 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

The problem will be with the FCC in the event that Crystal goes under and does not resume cruising. Those FCC's are then worthless. 

Something for everyone to be aware of when they take FCC. You had better use it quickly or it could evaporate.

With all the cruise cancelations the last two years, this is why we have refused to take any offered FCC, who knows what cruise lines could be next.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Yes, the tax situation and recovery was already discussed on the Crystal board. They will not get it all back, but something is better than nothing.

This has been a real eye opener for many. Viking wants full payment a year in advance..LOL! Their sheep just follow along.

We have a Viking river cruise booked in 2023 with 12 month final payment,  when we approach that date later this year, we will demand 6 months or we cancel. Other Viking customers are doing this and Viking is allowing. We almost booked a Crystal River cruise which has been suspended as well. 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

tb - not sure I would refer to them as sheep vs those who believe and love the product so much that such 'restrictive' policies are not a deterrent to their booking the product.

Almost akin to my booking X often times... LOL

I will venture over to that board and smile while reading, then again, this could have happened (or may yet still) happen on any line.

bon voyage

• Like 2

Travel insurance.... one reason I purchase a policy from someone other than the cruise line. I am surprised that the major lines have been able to hold on as long as they have... their cash burn two years ago was substantial..haven't investigated recently... but they must all be hurting..especially now.. that Omicron has thrown a wrench in every thing.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

tb - not sure I would refer to them as sheep vs those who believe and love the product so much that such 'restrictive' policies are not a deterrent to their booking the product.

Almost akin to my booking X often times... LOL

I will venture over to that board and smile while reading, then again, this could have happened (or may yet still) happen on any line.

bon voyage

Yes Bo, probably a poor use of the word. Loyal Followers just like Crystal had would be more appropriate.

Apologies.

• Haha 1

Just now, TrulyBlonde said:

Yes Bo, probably a poor use of the word. Loyal Followers just like Crystal had would be more appropriate.

Apologies.

tb - not to worry...

I like many others enjoy a good laugh...  and your choice of wording was perfect, as I Am often considered sheep following along and grazing... LOL

bon voyage

• Haha 1

There are bound to be financial problems by now, yet people still expect the cruise lines to pay all their expenses if they test positive for COVID. Some were incensed when the private jet option was curtailed.

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Lesson learned.  Best to stick with the small luxury lines owned by larger cruise corporations with deeper pockets right now although of course anything can happen.  I would be worried about Azamara since it got cut loose.  But Silversea should be OK.

Crystal is owned by a larger cruise company. It is the larger cruise company (Genting)hat has financial difficulties. 

The financial health of the Royal Caribbean Group is not good. 

Edited by Charles4515

3 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Our friends are booked on an Oceania TA, 26 days, and were required to pay in full last October which might have been a sign they were pulling in any and all cash.  My friends aren't sheep but long time loyal passengers who trusted it would be as it always has been for them.  Not all keep up with these types of financial situations even though they've owned their own company.  It's concerning that Oceania ownership by Norweigan, under the Genting/Star umbrella (as is Crystal), has been losing significantly during the pandemic.  We hope they'll not be caught up in this.  Perhaps March 2021 is too soon for their losses to reach Oceania sailings.  I feel for those Crystal passengers who have paid deposits or in full.  The Crystal Board is sad to read.

Edited by Oceangoer2

46 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Crystal is owned by a larger cruise company. It is the larger cruise company (Genting)hat has financial difficulties. 

The financial health of the Royal Caribbean Group is not good. 

Yes larger as Genting Hong Kong, which in 2019 it had total revenue of $1.5B as compared to RCG at $11B that year.

I feel for the poor crew members; they must be devastated too.  There are no guarantees in life except death and taxes...hope things are resolved in a timely fashion for all who have been affected.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Joanie

I  got a notification today that the credit was finalized and no longer temporary.  Yea..

The passengers I really feel sorry for are the ones that book some of their World Cruises.    They are REALLY EXPENSIVE.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Our friends are booked on an Oceania TA, 26 days, and were required to pay in full last October which might have been a sign they were pulling in any and all cash.  My friends aren't sheep but long time loyal passengers who trusted it would be as it always has been for them.  Not all keep up with these types of financial situations even though they've owned their own company.  It's concerning that Oceania ownership by Norweigan, under the Genting/Star umbrella (as is Crystal), has been losing significantly during the pandemic.  We hope they'll not be caught up in this.  Perhaps March 2021 is too soon for their losses to reach Oceania sailings.  I feel for those Crystal passengers who have paid deposits or in full.  The Crystal Board is sad to read.

Genting cashed out it's NCL holdings a few years ago.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We have never sailed any line except Celebrity but decided to give Crystal Cruise line a try.  

Good reason to stick with Celebrity. 

We also wanted to try Crystal and came so close to booking January 8-22. I was especially excited about a Nobu restaurant on board (Umi Uma). Getting close to booking, I called and asked about the COVID policies in place in case you unfortunately test positive at the pier when they administer their test. I was told, "Get insurance".  In December we sailed Silveursea-full refund or FCC if positive. For January, we booked a "back to back" Oceania to Celebrity Edge cruise. You all know Celebrity's policies. Oceania simply said to arrive with a negative test result within 48 hours and if their test comes out positive, you are covered. Fair to me.  

Glad we took the O to X cruise rather than Crystal!!. Still sorry for those fighting to get their money back. While on Celebrity a couple of days ago, we heard the Crystal ship was not returning to Miami and was instead docking in Bimini and transferring passengers to Miami via ferry. Their ship can't be seized in Bimini where it would be seized in Miami. 

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Edited by molemaui
did not post correctly