Live on Odyssey - January 29, 2022 - 8 Night Southern Caribbean 🚢

John&LaLa

23 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Ive never sailed a Q class ship prior to Odyssey and the last 6 years have been exclusively Oasis class.  Granted I was only on her for a 2 day sailing but I can't wait for our Alaska cruise on Ovation and will be looking to book Odyssey for either Christmas 2023 or March 2024.

Great that you enjoyed Odyssey so much...you must not mind loud music, loud voices. etc....

28 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Interesting take on the Solarium. I found her pool a big improvement over Oasis and Allure.

Trade off with Symphony 

As for the Odyssey pool...I was trying to convey that if they were going to bother putting in a pool, make it deeper than 2 ft! The Oasis class solarium pools are not good either:) 

Odyssey...beautiful ship, but very impractical.

Our entertainment last week was very disappointing also...no jersey boys for us.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Music Hall was packed most nights, and the Esplanade was a bit crowded. 

John, you didn't mind the noise? the Music Hall was unbearable:(:(:( Just walking by it I had to plug my ears!!!! The singers were screaming into the microphone!!

4 minutes ago, ptf2009 said:

John, you didn't mind the noise? the Music Hall was unbearable:(:(:( Just walking by it I had to plug my ears!!!! The singers were screaming into the microphone!!

It was a rock concert. Loud, but great sound quality. Much better than the singer we had on Harmony a few weeks earlier who was screaming over his back up track. 

Plus the songs were all pretty big hits, and a lot of variety. I like DSB, but they only do Journey.

Actually went 3 times. Probably why it was so packed. Lots of repeat viewers.

But truthfully, I really liked how they did Karaoke in there. Much better than On Air. Allure did some in Dazzles and that was fun

• Thanks 1

Thank you for taking us along on your sailing this week.  Your review has me excited...and anxiously awaiting our Odyssey B2B 2/20 & 2/26.  

I have to say I was very impressed with your variety of drinks.  🙂 I love martinis...cosmos, espresso, and lemon drops.  Just curious if you saw anyone making lemon drops throughout the week?  

• Like 1

Just now, KALCJ1 said:

Thank you for taking us along on your sailing this week.  Your review has me excited...and anxiously awaiting our Odyssey B2B 2/20 & 2/26.  

I have to say I was very impressed with your variety of drinks.  🙂 I love martinis...cosmos, espresso, and lemon drops.  Just curious if you saw anyone making lemon drops throughout the week?  

Laura had several. Any bar will make them. The to go ones were massive being in a rocks glass, but very sticky due the sugar rim.

Kinda surprised I never posted a picture

4 hours ago, mets07 said:

We wish we had more variety of ships and Caribbean destinations from Cape Liberty (New Jersey). Quantum class however is beautiful, just different. 

Same here out of the UK.  Guess it's because of the unpredictable weather.  Nowadays we just seem to get Anthem each summer and nothing in Europe at all in the winter 

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Here's a tip.

I'm staying up tonight to make our covid test appointments for this coming Friday. Appointments will be non existent at Walgreens in the morning. Booking window opens at midnight.

Also when there, if needed, get ear plugs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I was leary as well, but totally sold on it. 

I'll compare her to Harmony next week, but I'm pretty sure Odyssey may win. If we could only get her into PC

I'm actually looking forward to Harmony going to PE. I can try a new O class ship without giving up the ease of going to Ft. Lauderdale. They just need to move Mama Mia to Harmony.😊

• Like 3

7 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Here's a tip.

I'm staying up tonight to make our covid test appointments for this coming Friday. Appointments will be non existent at Walgreens in the morning. Booking window opens at midnight.

I've spent several nights staying up to get the appointments at CVS.  The first 2 times it went well, right at midnight I was able to book.  However the last time it didn't open up until 2:00 am, it was a long night. Hope you had good luck.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Here's a tip.

Scheduling at Walgreens (Far west Chicago suburbs) started to loosen up recently.  Was up early today to book for Friday:  headed to SJU for an Explorer B2B.  I looked further and found that there were available slots today.  A few weeks ago that would not be the case.  And, also, thanks, John, for the Odyssey review.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

Scheduling at Walgreens (Far west Chicago suburbs) started to loosen up recently.  Was up early today to book for Friday:  headed to SJU for an Explorer B2B.  I looked further and found that there were available slots today.  A few weeks ago that would not be the case.  And, also, thanks, John, for the Odyssey review.

We live in MN. There are several armories that are offering free tests (rapid antigen, saliva and PCR depending on location). We can make an appointment the week we need to test, or just walk-in. It's too bad other states don't have them. It's a lot easier than scheduling a Walgreens/CVS appointment.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, RoamingRetirees said:

Mario was on Odyssey with us on the January 2 sailing also. He gave pretty much the same speech. As I recall, he was with Captain Per on Odyssey's inaugural sailing. I was surprised to see him again today since he wasn't on last week.

Had a nice chat with him at breakfast in CK this morning.  🙂  He admitted he pretty much makes the same speech, but makes sure he only lists the good changes. Said he knows he could list more, but it might take too long.  😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, sandebeach said:

We went to the Top Tier event today and thought it was a very nice event. Yes, we are Pinnacles-in-Training!  Time frame changed because of some cancellations but hopefully, if all goes well, we will reach Pinnacle next month on Wonder. 

I hear ya'.   We were just one cruise away from turning Pinnie just before Covid shut down.  That carrot kept getting moved further and further away as each cancellation happened.  Was originally supposed to be Grandeur out of Baltimore.  Oh well, two years later we finally got back on a ship, so it ended up being Harmony a couple of months ago.  

We are looking forward to Wonder as well, and even more fun...being on board to bring her into her new home port...20 minutes from our house!  🥰

• Like 3

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

That's pretty much it. 

How about a parting shot of us yesterday mornning. Photo by @twangster

Screenshot_20220207-212140_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f7e48d9ca70835ea3a6ccffbb61859cf.jpg

I'd sail her again in a heartbeat. But still a little concerned on what she's like with a full passenger load. 

Might book our free JS cruise on her if the date works after she's 1 year old

Go for the JS4....loved the "hump" location and the split bath plan!  🙂  We should have given you a tour...sorry about that.  😞 

11 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Music Hall was packed most nights, and the Esplanade was a bit crowded. 

Music Hall Pinnie lounge is definitely full...even early at 5 pm.  Got too loud and left for one of our favorite spots, Giovanni's wine bar.  🙂   And CK is getting packed up as well.  They released a few "social distance" tables to make room.  

1 hour ago, vegas7df said:

I've spent several nights staying up to get the appointments at CVS.  The first 2 times it went well, right at midnight I was able to book.  However the last time it didn't open up until 2:00 am, it was a long night. Hope you had good luck.

Relatively smooth. But they were going fast. Our two are 90 minutes apart. But ours is pretty flexible in person.

• Like 1

We've notice that several ships lately have been loud.  Don't think it's an Odyssey problem alone.  

We're looking forward to our Quantum/Ovation nearly S2S (4 days apart) this fall.  I need to keep an open mind and not keep comparing them to Oasis Class.  It might have been @twangster, but someone said that Quantum class is great for Alaska cruises because of indoor space and great views.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Interesting. I appreciate your opinion. So that I can put things into perspective, can you tell me which RCI ships, and what other shows, you prefer?

I have been a bit leery of trying a Q class ship so I am interested in different opinions from those who have tried them.

We are enjoying the ship.  Indeed the music is too loud...the pool area is crazy loud during sea days.  We don't use that area at all, and I try to avoid even walking through it.  

But otherwise...we would sail on this ship again.  The crew is fabulous and very welcoming.  Best cabin attendant ever...both legs!  🙂 

We love the shows.  I use ear plugs when needed...Bucky just takes out his hearing aids.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

We live in MN. There are several armories that are offering free tests (rapid antigen, saliva and PCR depending on location). We can make an appointment the week we need to test, or just walk-in. It's too bad other states don't have them. It's a lot easier than scheduling a Walgreens/CVS appointment.

Lots of other options down here as well, I'm just happy with the process at our Walgreens 

• Like 1