The Daily for Sunday 02/06/2022

richwmn

Today is International Frozen Yogurt Day, Lame Duck Day, and National Chopsticks Day

It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.--Maurice Switzer, Mrs. Goose, Her Book

Meal Suggestion for today - seared grouper
Drink of the Day - Jim Beam Collins
Wine of the Day - Cigar Box 2019 Old Vine Hand Harvested Cabernet Sa
Destination of the Day - Macapa, Brazil

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam   Destination Honolulu, HI
Zuiderdam   Destination PTC Costa Rica eta 2/4

Castries, St Lucia Island

Nieuw Statendam   08:00 - 16:00

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida

Eurodam   07:00 - 17:00

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Rotterdam   08:00 - 15:00

Ships Without Passengers

As Sea Pacific

Westerdam   Destination Los Angeles CA US eta 2/7

At Sea Atlantic

Nieuw Amsterdam   Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglad

At Sea Mediterranean Sea

Volendam   Destination Cadiz SP eta 2/8
Zaandam   Destination Cadiz SP eta 2/9

Freeport BS

Noordam  

Limassol CY

Oosterdam   Anchorage

0206NAmerica.thumb.png.3850f97012b5da44c312d3b3dd65327d.png

0206Europe.thumb.png.4073ab990802de4735e0fd1589d79257.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 14

Good morning.  Thanks for the Sunday Daily Report.

Interesting days.  I like frozen yogurt.  Lame duck day?  I'll have to google that.  Chopsticks - the eating utensil or the piano piece?  Either way, it's not for me.  I'm not very good at using them to get food to my mouth and I don't play the piano.

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion but I'll gladly try the cocktail and the wine.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.    Stay safe.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Lame duck day?  I'll have to google that. 

lame duck

noun

1. An elected officeholder or group continuing in office during the period between failure to win an election and the inauguration of a successor.
  2. An officeholder who has chosen not to run for reelection or is ineligible for reelection.
  3. An ineffective person; a weakling.
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 11

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  I’ll pass on the frozen yogurt and lame duck day.  We may be using chopsticks later, I’m not sure though.  The quote is good advice.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds very nice.  Not a Jim Beam fan so I’ll pass on the drink.  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our list.  Cheers to you all celebrating happy events, enjoy!

• Like 29

Thank you for the Sunday Daily, Rich.  I like frozen yogurt but haven't had it for some time. I'm surprised at the rationale for making February 6 Lame Duck Day  (ratification of the 20th amendment shortening the lame duck period) and never had any luck with chopsticks.  I like the quote but will pass on the grouper.  I know I've been to Macapa on at least one BHB.

Today’s care list:

Strength for Jacqui, dealing with more than should be on anyone’s shoulders
Healing for the Dailyite family
Horizon Chaser 1957 Niece serious arm fracture
Welfare of furloughed crews
Safety for those in the path of and recovering from winter storms , especially Vict0riann DD
ger_77 DH Cardiac issues and cancelled cruise
Cruisin Terri autoimmune flareup
Numerious dailyite friends and family with covid
Eurodam azipod issue
From the rotation:
SrLouisCruiser awaiting MOSE 2/21
Kakalina’s rapid decline
NextOne  DDIL with mystery illness
Marley with likely cancer but still waiting on one final lab result

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Eurodam in Everglades

5 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Carnival Group  hospital ships Nieuw Amsterdam, Crown Princess, and Queen Victoria
70 Years for the Queen
Cruiser Bill (Koningsdam to 2/20) HighlandCruiser (Nieuw Statendam to 2/13),  Cruising single (Zuiderdam to 2/13) and Lady Hudson at sea (Enchantment OTS to 2/25)
Several dailyites booking cruises
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

• Like 29
  • Thanks 9

29 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

We have just got home from church.

We sang the National Anthem at the end of the service for Her Majesty the Queen Platinum (70th) Jubilee.

Graham.

I saw the Queen along with my mother when Elizabeth visited Chicago in the summer of 1959 when 1 was 13 years old. She came to the city on the Royal Yacht Britannia as part of a trip to commemorate the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway and to attend the International Trade Fair in the Windy City. We were part of a huge crowd that greeted her as she stepped off a tender across Lake Shore Drive from Buckingham Fountain.

We are somewhere in that crowd with the fountain in the background, that's Illinois Governor Stratton and Chicago Mayor Richard J. Daley along with the Queen.

77A44803-E232-43FD-A881-E0F57260B645.jpeg

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Thank you for keeping our lists Roy! Morning Dailyites!

Yesterday I discovered that although the gremlins would not allow me to react to Page 1 posts, I could react to those on other pages. 🤔 And another battle with them to get one photo to upload. All before I have had a sip of coffee. Sigh. A damp, rainy Sunday here. Not sure what I will end up doing. Off to the gym.

The animal series continues…

1BABD820-85CF-483B-9FEF-61AF442B99D1.jpeg.a63cec0ab38c3d6d5d1a486c814d2e3c.jpeg

02762CC4-4E59-41A0-9FC3-4EFF9576B3D2.jpeg.5f41b21fab5299c7d4d89b7499854512.jpeg

D54AAE33-824B-4BD5-920A-43E00D621DE6.jpeg.1837aa1fdfb70325d28223dcd461cbe6.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

2019 Cigar Box Old Vine Hand Harvested Cabernet Sauvignon
Another highly rated budget wine! More proof that you don’t have to spend a fortune to enjoy great wine! Numerous online distributors with prices starting at $10.99.

Winemaker Notes

The 2019 Cigar Box Old Vine Cabernet Sauvignon is an intense violet in color. Red and black fruits predominate on the nose with a touch of the variety’s characteristic spices intermingled with notes of vanilla, cloves, and tobacco from the oak. The well-rounded palate offers sweet, elegant tannins that lend depth and lead to a fresh and juicy finish.

Pair this wine with red meats and pork with well-seasoned sauces and cheese soufflés.

JS91  James Suckling

A rich, ripe, dark-fruited cabernet with hints of dark stones, iodine and cedary oak. The palate has a juicy heart of blueberry and cassis flavors with crisp, lively tannin to close. Drink or hold.

WW90  Wilfred Wong of Wine.com
The 2019 Cigar Box Old Vine Hand Harvested Cabernet Sauvignon identifies with wine's brand name as it presents a satisfying experience on the palate. TASTING NOTES: This wine serves up aromas and flavors that include black fruits, a note of rusticity, and smokiness. Pair it grilled baby back ribs in a piquant, slightly spicy sauce. 
WE90
Wine Enthusiast

Lightly herbal blackberry and plum aromas are typical for quality Chilean Cabernet, while this feels full and fresh, with a seamless blend of pulpy fruit, tannins and acidity. Black cherry and cassis flavors are herbal and lightly chocolaty, while this finishes smooth and steady. Drink through 2023. Best Buys

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 14

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you Roy for keeping the lists updated.

We have eaten frozen yogurt put  in cornets from the vending machine many times on Royal Caribbean ships.

I find it difficult using chop sticks.

Good quote.

I like fish.

Not keen on the drink.

Prayers for everyone on today's care list.

Take care.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220206_121357.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 8

16 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

I saw the Queen along with my mother when Elizabeth visited Chicago in the summer of 1959 when 1 was 13 years old. She came to the city on the Royal Yacht Britannia as part of a trip to commemorate the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway and to attend the International Trade Fair in the Windy City. We were part of a huge crowd that greeted her as she stepped off a tender across Lake Shore Drive from Buckingham Fountain.

The Royal Yacht is now a tourist attraction docked at Leith near Edinburgh.

We had a tour of the ship at Leith in March 2012.

Graham.

• Like 26

Thanks for the Sunday Daily, Rich.

That’s an interesting collection of days.  I’d celebrate frozen yogurt if it were warmer.  Iced coffee would be easy enough to make.

45E4F0E7-3FAD-4B52-8141-021B1834D469.thumb.jpeg.17a236fad113384619c11ff348b7ea55.jpeg

Some days I feel like a lame duck - LOL.  Never used chopsticks - was prepared to practice for our trip until it was cancelled.

Congrats to the Queen for celebrating the first ever Platinum Jubilee 🥂 

That’s a great quote by Switzer.  I saw this the other day and have to say I certainly resemble this remark 😉 

ACECAD50-FCE8-4FF5-B3D6-DF5F665AEB78.thumb.png.a637dbb16f81a9de8e7c868a20db1633.png

For crying out loud - another storm Monday afternoon into Tuesday?  Sounds like it will be really messy.  I sure hope they are wrong.  The joys of living in New Brunswick this year!

97767C27-7155-4907-A540-D906109EBEC0.thumb.jpeg.392e134e012be8b0d731f98c41f84b80.jpeg

I better get moving and figure out the roads and if it’s safe enough to go in.  Hopefully they are cleaned up by now.  If it were warmer outside, I might have more ambition.

11168752-FEF3-41CF-AE15-5B9CDEF48D71.jpeg.141fadc9cfaa2caae7bf236c0af02eb5.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Sunday everyone.  Stay save and please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 9

Good morning everyone. The only way I can get on this site is to go to Google and write Holland America, ask a question. Then I tap on that and am able to come here and write. I love frozen yogurt, especially the kind served at Bloomingdale’s department store which I have had in NY and Florida. I use chop sticks when eating sushi and or Chinese food. Sushi is my absolutely go to food.

It’s really cold here and there is no where to go except for the gym in our club house which might be my destination for today.Otherwise I’ve been passing the time watching TV and reading.

Stay safe out there,

Carol

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I've had frozen yogurt, and it's okay, but it isn't ice cream.  Only for the past few elections have I understood what the term "lame duck" meant.  I'm comfortable with chopsticks, DH not so much.

Well it warmed up overnight - currently we're at a balmy -14C with a predicted high of +1 - but that means it snowed again.  And of course, the crew doesn't work on the weekends, so I'll be out there again today.  Yesterday's snow looked quite fluffy, but it was hard packed due to the winds, so it was much more difficult to get off.  The leaf blower didn't even touch it.  I'll wait until it gets light to see about taking care of last night's deposit.

We had a lovely dinner with our friend last night; he said he really needed it, and we did, too.  After the guys spent a couple of hours playing guitars and going over music, we sat down to a 3 hour dinner, reminiscing about the cruises we'd taken together while his DW was still well, and talking about what lies ahead.   There is a possibility he might take a cruise with us in the future, as dementia has taken over his DW, and she barely reacts when he comes in for visits.  Sad situation, as she was such a lovely person, and we miss the times we had together.

I learned something new yesterday while we were talking about wine at dinner.  Our local Co-op liquor store has their own Cardboardeaux called "Co-op Reserve", which I figured was just a fancy way of saying plonk in a box.  However, our friend said he'd bought some and really enjoyed it, so he looked up the origin and it is actually a wine made from a Chilean winemaker called Montes Wines.   Guess where we're going today?  To the Co-op liquor store to pick up a box!

I like today's menu suggestion, but I know there's no grouper in our freezer, so that's not happening for us.  We have lots of spaghetti left over from last night, so I'll make up a tossed salad and some garlic bread and that's what will be on our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll clink the glasses together to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, wash your hands, get your boosters, wear your masks, be well, and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 38

Good morning.  It is a lovely shiny day.  The sun has just risen and is illuminating millions of diamonds on the ground.  Beautiful.

Thank you for the daily, the care list, and the sermon @richwmn @rafinmd @grapau27.  It is a nice start to my Sunday.  I wish forgiveness wasn’t as difficult as some people make it but I guess we all have our own pace at how we work through issues.  Or don’t, as the case may be.  As to the quote, I have known a lot of nice people until they have opened their mouths.  🙃

Also thanks to the Food & Beverage ladies, as I know I’ll be seeing those soon.  @cat shepard @dfish @summer slope.  If Jim Beam is bourbon then it’s a no from me.  I would try a sip of the wine to see if I’d like it.

Congratulations to Her Majesty the Queen on becoming the first to celebrate a platinum jubilee.  She is a hard-working woman and I am amazed at how she continues to fulfill her obligations.  Also congratulations are in order, I hear, to Camilla on her elevation of status.  Funny how things work out.

I have seen the Queen, up close and personal, twice in my life.  The first time I was a teen, traveling with my friend and her parents to their cottage in Ontario.  The 401 (the longest, widest, and busiest highway in Canada) was shut down and my friend’s Dad got out to see why.  He came to tell us we had permission to come and see the Queen as they transported her to the Toronto International Airport.  We waved as she went by.

The second time was when she was visiting the College where I worked.  This time I got to see her walking.  She is so tiny!  Her pictures make you think she is much larger than she is.  It was interesting to hear of the accommodations and security required in order for her to visit.

As for today’s meal suggestion… Our local grocery store (Wegmans) had an awesome bistro where I could pick my grouper from the seafood counter and they would turn it into an amazing feast. If I didn’t like the wine they had to offer then I could pair it with a wine from their extensive wine section.  Of course, Covid took care of that and now the bistro has disappeared along with so many other things in life.

To apologize for going on so long, I leave you with a picture of Half Moon Cay.

9A39CD76-CAD1-4137-A9A1-10127CEF9F63.thumb.png.4c9d106886555893bf77a63b07daefd5.png

• Like 44

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

We are somewhere in that crowd with the fountain in the background, that's Illinois Governor Stratton and Chicago Mayor Richard J. Daley along with the Queen.

77A44803-E232-43FD-A881-E0F57260B645.jpeg

Forgot to say Good Morning to everyone and thanks for The Daily.

I like frozen yogurt but could never get the hang of chopsticks, forks are a lot easier.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 27
  • Haha 1

Good morning, everyone!

We have another chilly start to the day at 12F, but the sun is shining brilliantly and it promises to warm us up to 37F.  Maybe some of that snow out there will start to melt.  Not much on the agenda today except a trip to the grocery store.  I need Ice cream, yogurt and other soft foods.  I'm having tooth #2 pulled tomorrow and a soft diet will be appreciated for a day or two after that.  Oh, and I have two Zoom meetings.  One I just have to listen and the other is a fun one with friends.

Today's meal sounds good to me.  I'm sure it can be made with any mild tasting fish.  This first one is served with a lemon and caper sauce made right in the pan.   https://champagne-tastes.com/pan-seared-grouper/

pan-seared-grouper-small-6.thumb.jpg.956fb1e1095116635571c9203910097f.jpg

Next up we have a pan seared grouper with a balsamic brown butter sauce.  The sauce is really the show piece on this dish.   https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pan-seared-grouper-balsamic-brown-butter-sauce

pan-seared-grouper-balsamic-brown-butter-sauce-sl.thumb.jpg.5df3de31b31c7631b0be6ecd3412279a.jpg

Or, how about a lemon garlic butter sauce?  This recipe has a load of tips for working with fish.  https://thetopmeal.com/pan-seared-grouper-with-lemon-butter/

pan-seared-grouper-with-lemon-butter-recipe-8-683x1024.thumb.jpg.1bb98d3931ed9d24d15033c302badce7.jpg

And, last but not least, Bobby Flay offers up his grouper with a tropical salsa.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/pan-seared-grouper-with-tropical-salsa-recipe-1941464

grilled-grouper-new-social-media-copy.thumb.jpg.5ff2d03ae4e77e7aac3a45edb34d8c05.jpg

You could probably come up with a different way to prepare this fish for every day of the month.  Enjoy!

Prayers for those in need and cheers to those celebrating.  

• Like 32
  • Thanks 8

Good morning.  I like frozen yogurt.  I tried to use chopsticks in Tamarind, with a lesson, and finally gave up.  The quote is spot on.  Grouper is my DH's favorite fish.  Macapa Brazil is on our itinerary for the first segment of the Grand Voyage in Jan. 2024.  Looking forward to the photo's to see what is to see.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.  Virtual hugs to all of us.

Please continue to stay safe, social distance, and wear you mask.

Jim Beam Collins:

Ingredients:
1 Part Jim Beam
0.5 Part Orange Juice
1 tsp Sugar
1 Orange Wheel
Directions:
Add fresh orange juice and sugar to a tall glass. Stir to dissolve sugar and measure and pour in Jim Beam. Fill glass completely with ice and top with soda water.Stir, garnish and serve.

Screen Shot 2022-02-06 at 8.17.30 AM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 8

26 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Good morning.  It is a lovely shiny day.  The sun has just risen and is illuminating millions of diamonds on the ground.  Beautiful.

Thank you for the daily, the care list, and the sermon @richwmn @rafinmd @grapau27.  It is a nice start to my Sunday.  I wish forgiveness wasn’t as difficult as some people make it but I guess we all have our own pace at how we work through issues.  Or don’t, as the case may be.  As to the quote, I have known a lot of nice people until they have opened their mouths.  🙃

Also thanks to the Food & Beverage ladies, as I know I’ll be seeing those soon.  @cat shepard @dfish @summer slope.  If Jim Beam is bourbon then it’s a no from me.  I would try a sip of the wine to see if I’d like it.

Congratulations to Her Majesty the Queen on becoming the first to celebrate a platinum jubilee.  She is a hard-working woman and I am amazed at how she continues to fulfill her obligations.  Also congratulations are in order, I hear, to Camilla on her elevation of status.  Funny how things work out.

I have seen the Queen, up close and personal, twice in my life.  The first time I was a teen, traveling with my friend and her parents to their cottage in Ontario.  The 401 (the longest, widest, and busiest highway in Canada) was shut down and my friend’s Dad got out to see why.  He came to tell us we had permission to come and see the Queen as they transported her to the Toronto International Airport.  We waved as she went by.

The second time was when she was visiting the College where I worked.  This time I got to see her walking.  She is so tiny!  Her pictures make you think she is much larger than she is.  It was interesting to hear of the accommodations and security required in order for her to visit.

As for today’s meal suggestion… Our local grocery store (Wegmans) had an awesome bistro where I could pick my grouper from the seafood counter and they would turn it into an amazing feast. If I didn’t like the wine they had to offer then I could pair it with a wine from their extensive wine section.  Of course, Covid took care of that and now the bistro has disappeared along with so many other things in life.

To apologize for going on so long, I leave you with a picture of Half Moon Cay.

9A39CD76-CAD1-4137-A9A1-10127CEF9F63.thumb.png.4c9d106886555893bf77a63b07daefd5.png

I remember seeing the Queen and thinking the same thing as you.   I was in Oakville, Ontario at a college.    We were thrilled she took the time to visit us.   

• Like 25

A quick good morning. I have read all the postings so far and as usual glad you all are still with us and in some cases posting some laughs! Church will be soon so will get back later.

Have a great Sunday or Monday depending on  where you live.

• Like 28