Gender and Title???

tlbutler33

Just for everyone's information, I don't even have a spot for a title in my profile. I only got the same error as OP for the sailing we got off of yesterday, so it seems this is a recent error message. 

Does anyone know if they recently removed a spot for title? That could be the problem if the system is looking for a title when one isn't there. I honestly don't recall if it had been there before. 

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Simple...if you're not at your pick up location, they can track your flight number to see if your flight was delayed or cancelled.

This has nothing to do with gender.  It has everything to do with ID of people (as males and females) in the case of an emergency.

If there is a mismatch, your ID won't match up with your Passport info, which is probably the case here.

Sorry disagree.

pickup is for flight that takes me away and it usually doesn’t come from same city.

So a flight leaving FROM Orlando and arriving anywhere to me the arrival airport should not matter.

I can see if they wanted to know where the plane coming to Orlando was coming from

I don't think this is in any way a malicious flag, although it is a little odd. Most likely it's done as a check to make sure a passenger didn't accidentally provide conflicting info for manifest purposes.

APIS

The Advance Passenger Information System (APIS) is a widely used electronic data interchange system that allows carriers to transmit traveler data to CBP. APIS data includes passenger information that would be found on the face of a passport, such as full name, gender, and country of passport issuance. The current APIS requirements were established in April, 2005, with the publication of the APIS Final Rule. The APIS program is recognized by commercial carriers and the international community as the standard for passenger processing and enhanced security in the commercial air and vessel environment. During Fiscal Year 2006, CBP processed a record 87 million passengers arriving from abroad by air.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We have never had our separated on Celebrity but often at Hotels, the desk receptionist simply say I noticed the reservation is for one King is that OK.  

We were chuckling on our last cruise because about the only Junk Mail we now receive on our door is from Park West and they always addressed me as Mrs.    Right into the bin they went.

LOL, yeah on our last cruise our spa confirmations sent to the cabin were addressed to me as Mr. and hubby as Mrs. Was a bit odd since our shipboard account clearly showed Mr. for us both but we just laughed it off.

I can say from multiple prior experiences that too many assumptions are definitely made regarding gender, title, sex, bed placement preferences etc...

My favorite was when we were boarding Silver Wind... my husband and I both have doctoral degrees but he is not a medical doctor and so socially prefers to go with Mr... we are listed on the cruise as "Mr and Dr. Dylaness".  He is also quite a bit older than I am (enough of a difference that it is apparent in our physical appearances), which will be important here in just a sec...  

When arriving at the pier, the attendant asks for our last name, which we give, he locates us on the manifest, and turns to my husband, and welcomes him as Dr. Dylaness, and then welcomes me as Mrs. Dylaness.  Without missing a beat, my husband says, "No, *she's* Dr. Dylaness, I'm just her trophy husband!"  🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

30 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well some folks have a boy's name and almost got drafted into the Army years ago.

I do find the trend towards non gender names to be interesting.

Yup.  Check in with Russell sometime.  SHE is the Luminae maitre d aboard Constellation!

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

Yup.  Check in with Russell sometime.  SHE is the Luminae maitre d aboard Constellation!

yup that is a boy's name.  but perhaps parents wanted a boy and decided to keep the name.

I would have added an "a" to the end if it was me.

At least it was not a fruit or month of the year.   aw names are interesting at best

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yup that is a boy's name.  but perhaps parents wanted a boy and decided to keep the name.

I would have added an "a" to the end if it was me.

At least it was not a fruit or month of the year.   aw names are interesting at best

I'm curious why you would feel the need to do that? Somewhat similar is the significance or lack of with surnames. As interracial marriages continue ones surname no longer has any baring on ethnicity. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I'm curious why you would feel the need to do that? Somewhat similar is the significance or lack of with surnames. As interracial marriages continue ones surname no longer has any baring on ethnicity. 

not sure what the heck you are talking about either.

OMG I merely replied that the parents might have made it easier if they add an "a" to the end of the name russell in case the lady was annoyed at explaining it.   

On 2/13/2022 at 10:18 AM, RichYak said:

Is "His Royal Highness" a choice? I may select that next time just for fun. 🤣

You laugh. On one line  we sailed there were about 40 options to cover everything from a child (Miss or Master) to Ambassador and beyond,  although to be fair, I’m not certain HRH was included. Most likely it was. And in the hallways one heard all kinds of titles being used. 

On 2/11/2022 at 8:55 AM, tlbutler33 said:

So when I try to put our beds together online, I get this error. Celebrity better be mindful how this can be interpretted.

image.png.2904472abbbee2a02b53b341827efb5f.png

Least thing you have to worry about, just tell your room steward how you want the beds, they will be that’s way after dinner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/11/2022 at 1:58 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

frankly I do not even understand why they ask for gender or title.

ANYONE on the reservation should be able to dictate the wishes for bed configuration.

period.  sometimes computer programs are silly.

Like when I ask to be picked up for a shuttle, why do they need the time of arrival at home airport.

All they need is the time your flight leaves say like from Orlando if you are at a theme park.

Just so stupid and overkill with information

Gender is required on the Coast Guard manifest.  Celebrity doesn't care what you designate.  The USCG doesn't care either, just so all documents match.

Want some fun, my DH does not have a first name.  Just the letter "W".  Lots of forms will not accept a first name with less than 2 letters.  "WU" usually works.  US immigration was not amused the time he used "DoubleU".

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

OMG I merely replied that the parents might have made it easier if they add an "a" to the end of the name russell in case the lady was annoyed at explaining it.   

blah blah blah

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Russella (also known as The Fabulous Russella) is a British actor, dancer, model, choreographer, singer and comedian often performing in character drag.

On 2/14/2022 at 5:39 PM, kwokpot said:

I am American and my husband is Chinese, born and raised and we both kept our own surnames when we got married, thus we make our reservations for all travel in each of our respective names.  I cannot count the number of times we have checked into a hotel, reservation made in advance for a king bed, the front desk looks at us, looks at the res on the computer, says oh this room has a king bed, let me see if we have a room with double beds I don't know whether to 🙄 or 🤣 We say, yes we know that's the room we booked please check us in.  This has happened in LA, Chicago, NY...

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2022 at 12:12 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

well some folks have a boy's name and almost got drafted into the Army years ago.

I do find the trend towards non gender names to be interesting. I also know that ships have to keep good records but boy do they sometimes mess up.

You brought back memories.  My DW Susan was drafted in 1966 by the US Army and ordered to report for an induction physical.

The gender problem has been around for a very long time.

On 2/11/2022 at 2:21 PM, sanger727 said:

In this day and age I’m not sure that is an accurate assumption either….

That is correct. 

Right now "gender" of Male or Female is a TSA requirement (as per BC or Passport documents being used). Title is a Cruise Line descriptor. It's entirely possible to have 'Male' as gender and title as Miss, Ms. or Mrs as the preferred descriptor. 

Sounds like a simple code change in the database is in order (I'm in software).

Edited by karma459

21 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

You brought back memories.  My DW Susan was drafted in 1966 by the US Army and ordered to report for an induction physical.

The gender problem has been around for a very long time.

thanks and glad to know I was not the only female to get asked to report.

so to the person who said BS to me, ha ha ha

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

lacking in all the replies is how to FIX the problem. Has anyone had any luck doing that? I've called a couple times now and now one seems to know how to fix it. It has nothing to do with bed configurations. If you simply try to enter your mailing address on your profile you'll get the error. There is NO place to change your title that I can see. 

Is there a solution to this?

1 hour ago, thomizon said:

lacking in all the replies is how to FIX the problem. Has anyone had any luck doing that? I've called a couple times now and now one seems to know how to fix it. It has nothing to do with bed configurations. If you simply try to enter your mailing address on your profile you'll get the error. There is NO place to change your title that I can see. 

Is there a solution to this?

While I have not checked, yet is there not a place on X's website where technical issues can be reported?

bon voyage

On 2/15/2022 at 5:17 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Gender is required on the Coast Guard manifest.  Celebrity doesn't care what you designate.  The USCG doesn't care either, just so all documents match.

Want some fun, my DH does not have a first name.  Just the letter "W".  Lots of forms will not accept a first name with less than 2 letters.  "WU" usually works.  US immigration was not amused the time he used "DoubleU".

Johnny Cash didn’t have a first name either, it was just J. R., the Air Force wouldn’t allow it, so he put in John.