Booked on a rumored charter cruise. When will RCCL notify us?

gometros

6 hours ago, Cigar King said:

I have been on cruises that had large groups before.  We were never notified.  I have also been on cruises that were chartered and we were cancelled.  We were notified a few months out, and given some perks to ease the transition.

I've seen that as well. One was a group of insurance adjusters, around 1000 I was told. Would never have known had I not seen it on Google.    Another was about 20 people in the (forget the exact name ) Autism at Sea group.  For my own education , i did look at their website and found useful information that educated me on what to expect.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gometros said:

We'[re booked on the Harmony of the Seas next February 4. On a social media forum I'm following a few members have insisted that this cruise is a charter cruise.  How long does it take RCCL to notify us of the change so that we can make alternative plans? If true, I'm surprised we were even able to book it.

Umm, you might want to simply 'google' it.  

I really wish the cruise lines would clearly announce large groups to all customers, with no aspersions intended to any group.

https://kgaytravel.com/2022/01/18/atlantis-winter-caribbean-cruise/

Edited by At Sea At Peace

I was booked Voyager southern Caribbean 1/23 because of stop in Grenada  My cruise disappeared from website for booking around October or November 2021.  Finally got letter December 2021 that my ship had been chartered. Options listed stunk - move to different Voyager sailing (none of which included Grenada) or a refund of deposit (no additional FCC).   

If there’s a better option and you can jump to it now with no penalty, I would do it. 

Our Explorer cruise for Feb 4, 2023 was cancelled due to extending the dry dock. We were offered $100 OBC (for balcony) if we chose one of the 3 offered replacement cruises. The Feb 4 Harmony cruise wasn’t one of them, but I was interested in it. I was curious why there were limited stateroom categories left. So I googled the cruise and saw that it was a charter by Atlantis. I asked the RCCL rep but he didn’t know anything about it. I decided against booking it.  I’ve been on numerous cruises that had large groups sailing; but this won’t by one of them. Either they will charter the entire ship or not. I wasn’t interested in waiting around to be cancelled and forced to find yet another cruise. 

Edited by hardinggrad

23 hours ago, gometros said:

We'[re booked on the Harmony of the Seas next February 4. On a social media forum I'm following a few members have insisted that this cruise is a charter cruise.  How long does it take RCCL to notify us of the change so that we can make alternative plans? If true, I'm surprised we were even able to book it.

Could you not book onto the charter and use your refund? The charter company has to fill it?

59 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Could you not book onto the charter and use your refund? The charter company has to fill it?

You might want to Google Atlantis Charters first. 😄

Many people will NOT fit into that group.  But I am sure the parties are EPIC. 😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

You mean Thorben_Hendrik? His account seems to have been deleted - right, he was good at picking cruises that were about to be cancelled (to collect the cancellation OBC).

I remember him!  Seems like a not practical way to get OBC as @Jkaczanowski indicated the replacement offerings always seemed so random and not even close to what the original cruises were to be worth considering for many.  That was all pre covid, may now they will just do the 125% future cruise credit thing.

If the ship is scheduled for a full charter I would wait to see what Royal Caribbean offers you. If it’s a partial charter in most cases you won’t even know that a group is on the ship. If your really against traveling on the week of a charter try adjusting your vacation week to either the sailing before or sailing after the charter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

You mean Thorben_Hendrik? His account seems to have been deleted - right, he was good at picking cruises that were about to be cancelled (to collect the cancellation OBC).

That's a shame. I miss him. He brought a certain energy to the forum.

• Haha 1

My understanding, which might well be wrong, is that for full group charters the charter group has a set period of time in which they can test out selling and make sure they will get enough bookings before they have to confirm with RCI and it becomes a done deal.   During that time period FCI continues to sell rooms on the ship.  Once the charter sells well enough that the company chartering out the sailing committs 100% only then will you hear from RCI..and that can take a while.

Atlantis is a huge and well know group, that seems to charter sailings every year without issues filling up the ship, so I would work from the assumption that you will be bumped and then you can just decide if you want to go ahead now and book something else that week, or wait until RCI makes you an offer of a replacement sailing.  Things like, how flexible your vacation time can be, etc will certianly play into that decision.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Umm, you might want to simply 'google' it.  

I really wish the cruise lines would clearly announce large groups to all customers, with no aspersions intended to any group.

https://kgaytravel.com/2022/01/18/atlantis-winter-caribbean-cruise/

They haven't announced ot because the contracts are not fully signed.  Many charter groups start advertising before the ink is dry. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

This cruise is not covered under cwc.  If the op moves or cancels it they will pay a $100 pp fee unless they booked refundable. 

But what if Royal is the one to cancel it, if it is in fact a full charter?

Edited by LGW59