The Daily for Saturday 02/26/2022

richwmn

3 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

Carpe diem, my most used foreign expression!  @ger_77, what a beautiful scarf!  Today is a busy-one- day-before-embarking-on-the-Zuiderdam-day. Finishing a bit of laundry, filing paid bills, deciding what to do with the food that might go bad in 35 days, finding more stashed yarn to add to one more carry-on bag, and leaving everything clean and tidy for our return.  We opened our favorite Chandon champagne last evening to celebrate negative Covid-19 tests (taken at 5:55pm, just under 48 hours before we board). Prayers and hope for The Daily readers, looking forward to good internet onboard just to keep up with The Daily

Bon Voyage tomorrow.  I know you will have a fabulous cruise and visit great ports.

Lenda

• Like 16

16 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

Hi everyone just letting you all know that DH is now home!!! He has an appointment with a new cardiologist next week to develop his medical plan going forward. Hopefully he will be a good patient going forward 🙏

So nice to hear such good news!  He must be very happy to be home.👍

• Like 15

31 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

Hi everyone just letting you all know that DH is now home!!! He has an appointment with a new cardiologist next week to develop his medical plan going forward. Hopefully he will be a good patient going forward 🙏

Glad to hear DH is home. I hope all goes well with the new Cardiologist and developing a plan.

• Like 12

I got this in an email from HAL, I think we're going to go!  Anyone else in the Seattle area get it?  

I'm feeling lucky, maybe I'll win something. 😄

You’re Invited!

Don't miss out! Join us at The Alaska Cruise & Travel Show and discover the best ways to experience the Great Land with the cruise line that is the leader in Alaska cruises and cruisetours.

DATE & TIME: March 19, 2022 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
LOCATION: Bell Harbor International Conference Center at Pier 66
ENTRY: FREE
ACTIVITIES: Pan for real gold, make s’mores, try axe-throwing and much more!

gold.jpg
smores.jpg
kayak.jpg

Register and attend for a chance to win one of five Alaska Cruise Vacations OR one of five $500 Holland America Line Gift Cards.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

7277.jpeg

I cannot even begin to tell you how beautiful and precious this picture is! She is adorable.

She gives us joy to know she is thriving and brings some happiness into our currently sad world.

She is a blessing. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

I got this in an email from HAL, I think we're going to go!  Anyone else in the Seattle area get it?  

You’re Invited!

Don't miss out! Join us at The Alaska Cruise & Travel Show and discover the best ways to experience the Great Land with the cruise line that is the leader in Alaska cruises and cruisetours.

gold.jpg
smores.jpg
kayak.jpg

Register and attend for a chance to win one of five Alaska Cruise Vacations OR one of five $500 Holland America Line Gift Cards.

Carolyn, I hope you pan a really big gold nugget!  In addition to winning a gift card.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

DB finally crawled up out of the abyss and noticed my text from yesterday.  Poor guy!  Anyway he said Jen has been doing occupational therapy and speech therapy and is totally exhausted.  She's also not been eating much.  Her low grade fever has come down a little bit.  Plus something strange to see - Jen's paralyzed right arm has been twitching and jerking a little bit (11.5 years after her accident).   I wonder what that's all about?  Anyway it was good to get a report on Jen and wanted to share with everyone.  🤕

• Like 15
  • Thanks 9

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

DB finally crawled up out of the abyss and noticed my text from yesterday.  Poor guy!  Anyway he said Jen has been doing occupational therapy and speech therapy and is totally exhausted.  She's also not been eating much.  Her low grade fever has come down a little bit.  Plus something strange to see - Jen's paralyzed right arm has been twitching and jerking a little bit (11.5 years after her accident).   I wonder what that's all about?  Anyway it was good to get a report on Jen and wanted to share with everyone.  🤕

Thank you for the update, I'm glad you heard from your DB.

Wow, wouldn't that be wonderful if this helped her right arm?! I wonder if that's possible!

• Like 9

We had the opportunity to visit the Zeebrugge/Bruges area twice. The first time was in spring of 2015, when we stayed for a few days in Ghent after a transatlantic cruise. 

One of the main reasons we wanted to stay for a few days, was to visit with one of our nieces, her husband, and their daughter. He is with the Canadian Army and was on the 3-year posting to NATO. They are now back in Canada, and he has recently been appointed the RSM of 1 PPCLI, which is a significant achievement and acknowledgement of his 30+ years of service. Something for which only the military people out there will likely know what I’m referring to.

We went over to Bruges by train one day had had a nice look old town tourist area. Many excellent pictures have already been posted, so I’ll skip looking through our pictures.

The second time was in the spring of 2019 when Zeebrugge was one of the stops on a Northern Europe cruise we were on.

Some interesting comments regarding Bruges:
-    It has more castles per square inch than any other country in the world. About 50 of the 470 castles in the Flanders region are based around Bruges.
-    Bruges may be small, but it has over 80 bridges making it easy to navigate the city and get from one side of the canals to the other. Due to the sheer number of canals and bridges, Bruges is known as ‘Venice of the North’. Plus, there is a 12 km canal which links the centre of Bruges to the port of Zeebrugge.
-    Bruges crafts some of the most luxurious lace in the world.
-    There even a Friet museum - which highlights their invention of ‘Frities”, or what most of us call French fries. Frites served with mayonnaise is a local favourite.
-    To reach the top of the Belfry Tower, you have to climb a whopping 366 steps.

And of note, considering the current unpleasant situation in Europe, Zeebrugge has the largest LNG terminal complex in Europe.

Edited by GeorgeCharlie
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 5

We have a nice sunny day here, thanks for all the contributions to the Daily thread. Appreciate seeing all the photos, have been to Brussels many many years ago.

@ger_77thanks for sharing the photo of such a beautiful scarf.

@Sea Viewerpleased that your DH is home. 

@Norseh2o Bon Voyage.

@Lady Hudsonbest wishes to your DSIL 

@smitty34877It will be hard for Tana to adjust to the change in circumstances, but she and her son are very fortunate to live with you.

Thanks for sharing the new photo of adorable Miss Camilla,

@StLouisCruisers thanks for the update of Jen, interesting about her right arm.

Stay safe, take care everyone.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

You’re Invited!

gold.jpg
smores.jpg
kayak.jpg

Is that being put on by HAL, or is it the Auto Club?

• Like 6

👍Thank you for The Daily, Rich @richwmnand to Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration Lists. 

😊Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser the building you saw in Belgium is the Atomium~~a popular tourist attraction originally built for the 1958 Brussels World's Fair. My husband's family is from Belgium, so we've been over numerous times and have toured most cities.

🙏Prayers for all in need and continued prayers for Ukraine.🙏

Katie

20220226_164309.jpg

Edited by garlictown
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

We had the opportunity to visit the Zeebrugge/Bruges area twice. The first time was in spring of 2015, when we stayed for a few days in Ghent after a transatlantic cruise. 

One of the main reasons we wanted to stay for a few days, was to visit with one of our nieces, her husband, and their daughter. He is with the Canadian Army and was on the 3-year posting to NATO. They are now back in Canada, and he has recently been appointed the RSM of 1 PPCLI, which is a significant achievement and acknowledgement of his 30+ years of service. Something for which only the military people out there will likely know what I’m referring to.

We went over to Bruges by train one day had had a nice look old town tourist area. Many excellent pictures have already been posted, so I’ll skip looking through our pictures.

The second time was in the spring of 2019 when Zeebrugge was one of the stops on a Northern Europe cruise we were on.

Some interesting comments regarding Bruges:
-    It has more castles per square inch than any other country in the world. About 50 of the 470 castles in the Flanders region are based around Bruges.
-    Bruges may be small, but it has over 80 bridges making it easy to navigate the city and get from one side of the canals to the other. Due to the sheer number of canals and bridges, Bruges is known as ‘Venice of the North’. Plus, there is a 12 km canal which links the centre of Bruges to the port of Zeebrugge.
-    Bruges crafts some of the most luxurious lace in the world.
-    There even a Friet museum - which highlights their invention of ‘Frities”, or what most of us call French fries. Frites served with mayonnaise is a local favourite.
-    To reach the to of the Belfry Tower, you have to climb a whopping 366 steps.

And of note, considering the current unpleasant situation in Europe, Zeebrugge has the largest LNG terminal complex in Europe.

I am a 20 year U.S. Navy person, but I am not sure what RSM of 1PPCLI means.  I am guessing that he is the Regiment Sergeant Major of 1PPCLI, in other words the top sergeant of his organization.  I was both a Chief Warrant Officer and a Master Chief Petty Officer in my career, but I don't think about that much any more.

Ray

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I am a 20 year U.S. Navy person, but I am not sure what RSM of 1PPCLI means.  I am guessing that he is the Regiment Sergeant Major of 1PPCLI, in other words the top sergeant of his organization.  I was both a Chief Warrant Officer and a Master Chief Petty Officer in my career, but I don't think about that much any more.

Ray

Yes, you are correct. Much like you, he is a Chief Warrant Officer. Top Sergeant is not normally referenced to in the Canadian Army, RSM's are considered as being the Senior Non-Commissioned Officer. 

Congratulations to you for attaining the status of Master Chief Petty Officer - it is something which most military people can never hope to achieve - nor have the ability to achieve!!

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Ray

My DH was a cadet RSM regimental sergeant major of the Princess Patricia Canadian Light Infantry  First Battalion many years ago.  He says this rank is the most senior non commissioned rank attainable, above a sergeant.  @GeorgeCharlie may have more details, edited to say I was posting at the same time

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Is that being put on by HAL, or is it the Auto Club?

This was posted by Seth Wayne, the Holland America Ambassador, on Facebook about 2 weeks ago:

"Seattle/PNW friends: I WANT TO MEET YOU!

Join us on Saturday, March 19, 2022 at Bell Street (Pier 66) terminal in Downtown Seattle for a FREE event open to all ages.
Pan for real gold, make s’mores around a campfire and try axe-throwing. Meet tour operators and local partners who will show you the unforgettable experiences waiting in Alaska, like river-rafting, glacier-hiking and wildlife excursions.
Click on the link for more and to register: https://www.hollandamerica.com/.../alaska-travel-show.html "
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, JazzyV said:

This was posted by Seth Wayne, the Holland America Ambassador, on Facebook about 2 weeks ago:

"Seattle/PNW friends: I WANT TO MEET YOU!

Join us on Saturday, March 19, 2022 at Bell Street (Pier 66) terminal in Downtown Seattle for a FREE event open to all ages.
Pan for real gold, make s’mores around a campfire and try axe-throwing. Meet tour operators and local partners who will show you the unforgettable experiences waiting in Alaska, like river-rafting, glacier-hiking and wildlife excursions.
Click on the link for more and to register: https://www.hollandamerica.com/.../alaska-travel-show.html "

Thank you!  The email had HAL's phone number too (I checked) so I didn't understand about auto club...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

You’re Invited!

gold.jpg
smores.jpg
kayak.jpg

We didn't in Bremerton.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sea Viewer said:

Thanks for the good news. Hope the new cardiologist can help woth a great medical plan.

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks fornthe update about Jen . Hope she starts eating soon.  The info on  the arm is interestin.  The human body is a marvelois thing and it's hard to know what all it can do.

Len

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1