Happy Birthday, Sydney Harbour Bridge

According to the beautiful vintage poster that graces my wall, the Sydney Bridge will be 90 years old on March 19.

I walked and biked across it hundreds of times, when it was only around 50 years old.  Such a wonderful way to get to work every day.  I can't imagine that the climb to the top could be any better.

• Like 1

Sydney has the best sail in, in the world for us, with Venice No. 2 on the list.   Can't think of a better place to sail into with that beautiful bridge and the Opera House.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I can't imagine that the climb to the top could be any better.

Thanks to the dine and discover vouchers I decided to do a bridge climb and the view is amazing. I got lucky my day was unusually clear so you could see all the way to the mountains. It was also just fascinating walking up through the whole structure and seeing the bridge from a different view and no where near as difficult as they make out. There are only two short ladder climbs and the walk on the curve is a very gentle gradient. 

I remember the 75th Anniversary.  Such a great day.  The bridge was closed to traffic and all the people who registered to walk it got caps embroidered with 75th Anniversary.  Unique experience to walk across the bridge in the mid section.

The 90th will have historic trains & ferry trips and the bridge will be illuminated on both sides for 3 nights from 8pm-11pm.  Bridgeclimb is offering $90 off day climbs for the 19th and there will be a concert at The Opera House.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 1

My grandmother would tell me that when she was a teenager her and her sisters would walk into town on a Saturday afternoon and sit on a slope/hill and watch the bridge being built.

Maybe instead of going to see the bridge they were going to check out the bridge workers.😄

• Like 2

When I first went to Australia in 1969, it was on a cargo ship.  We had crossed the Pacific with no ports. The day before we were to arrive, an Australian passenger told me to get up before dawn in order to see the harbour as we entered.  I missed The Heads, but looked out my window and saw the Bridge.  Went out on deck and watched as we sailed under, still in the dark.  It was a thrilling start to my years in Sydney.

• Like 3

On 3/3/2022 at 4:06 PM, Rassa said:

Sydney has the best sail in, in the world for us, with Venice No. 2 on the list.   Can't think of a better place to sail into with that beautiful bridge and the Opera House.

Agreed, lots of beautiful  sail ins but Sydney must be near the top if not number one. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 11:16 AM, shipgeeks said:

According to the beautiful vintage poster that graces my wall, the Sydney Bridge will be 90 years old on March 19.

I walked and biked across it hundreds of times, when it was only around 50 years old.  Such a wonderful way to get to work every day.  I can't imagine that the climb to the top could be any better.

Thanks for posting, something to look forward to.

On 3/6/2022 at 12:52 PM, GUT2407 said:

My great Uncle crossed it in it’s first week, he was down from Qld to visit the in-laws

I thought for one moment you were going to say your Great Uncle was the infamous Captain De Groot.

😁