Not another dress code thread

bitob

13 hours ago, lissie said:

Yes I felt the same before my first cruise an looking at  this board.  Really felt like there would be a whole lot of eye-rolling go on behind our backs. Its really not like that in real life - we met interesting and well-travelled people and had a great cruise. 

I still don't understand why it makes so much difference for a man to walk in and out of a dining room wearing a jacket, to some  people. Its not like you wear it during diner LOL.   Have an awesome time 

Why is it “…not like you wear it during diner…”?  The point of a dress code is to wear it, not just own it.

• Like 4

A jacket is optional

However there is no point in bringing one if you put it on back of chair. If you don't want to wear it save time and space and leave it at home.

When jackets were required that meant to be worn throughout dinner. 

52 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I think this thread has made it clear that the written dress code may be the same but what actually happens on board can be very different depending on where the ships are sailing. 

Thank you Hattie.  How very true, and if nothing else, I hope the thread has promoted the idea that however critical, some comments are on this subject on CC, in truth, fellow passengers are polite and delightful and wouldn't dream of making any criticisms on board and no one will be judging outfits and marking  them out of ten, even if they feel like doing so.

In that vein, no one should worry about their mode of dress if it follows suggested attire, even in the messages are at times, mixed!. 🙂

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

A jacket is optional

However there is no point in bringing one if you put it on back of chair. If you don't want to wear it save time and space and leave it at home.

When jackets were required that meant to be worn throughout dinner. 

My husband never removed his jacket but for some guests, the chair was on occasions the recipient of said jacket if the restaurant got too hot, and as the removal was actively encouraged by senior staff, I think that was perfectly acceptable.

Rules is rules, but sometimes, common sense overrules!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

My husband never removed his jacket but for some guests, the chair was on occasions the recipient of said jacket if the restaurant got too hot, and as the removal was actively encouraged by senior staff, I think that was perfectly acceptable.

Rules is rules, but sometimes, common sense overrules!

I was referring to taking the jacket off as the norm.  So why bring one

Obviously if Air Conditioning isn't working that's  another matter

Edited by Windsurfboy

4 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

I was referring to taking the jacket off as the norm.  So why bring one

Obviously if Air Conditioning isn't working that's  another matter

I was referring to your last sentence.

Air con was working but wasn't sufficiently robust enough to cope with the heat.

The reverse can be true and as pashminas aren't such a good look for a chap, a jacket can be a useful thermal option.

Pack a jacket, wear it or not, the option is now there.

I do believe that Jane Fonda made a movie about this subject. Give it a rest. Those that will excuse poor behavior will continue to look the other way. Those that wish to skirt the edges of the code will continue to post threads asking if it is all right to do so. And there will always be a few that take it all the way to wearing the T and the cargo pants in the evening. until Cunard simply gives up trying to be special and becomes just another cruise line.

By the way there are still numerous resorts here in the US where  proper attire requires jacket dress shirt and tie and they are thriving.

So let's all declare victory and retreat to our respective corners.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, techteach said:

This is amazing! We have 6 pages on this thread and Host Hattie hasn’t had to lock it! Yeah!!!! P.S. Husband says he IS buying a tux and WILL wear a jacket and tie through dinner. No chair coat racks.

Bravo! Once he sees how good he looks in the tux, he'll be glad he bought it. Many years ago in the days of QE2, my husband went from "Do I really need to get a tux?" to buying one to "How many nights will I get to wear the tux on this cruise?" 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, lissie said:

Curious that you have "lunch outfits" - I presume this is for a 7 days at sea  crossing?  I have shore day outfits and  sea day outfits - but never changed for lunch - and there was zero dress code in any location on board prior to 6pm 

I typed a lengthy response, pressed Submit and lost it. B2B, QM2 is the destination, 14 dinners, 13 lunches (+1 in New York). Nora's wardrobe is bursting. Some of the most stunning stuff is 20+ years old. We don't get much chance to use it all, so we might as well wear as much as possible on the trip. We will have sports gear and trainers for the gym. 🤣

• Like 4

I told Mr Alc about the dress code debates at dinner tonight.  He had a response that I haven't heard before.  He said, "Why would you want to eat in a formal restaurant with beautiful china and glassware and tablecloths, and be served by traditionally dressed waiters, and not wear a jacket?"   It does seem incongruous.  I also told him that the debates are always around mens' wear.  We women get off easier.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I do think on the whole that they would remonstrate if you turned up for lunch in any of the restaurants in your swim wear. But I admit I haven't seen anyone try. So common sense is clearly possible.😀

Exlondoner,

You would as shocked as I was when we were on our first sailing on the QM2 and went to lunch in the Kings Court. Don't remember what day # it was.

This lady, yes lady, for real came walking into the Italian location in KC with a One Piece Swim Suit, a Private Bathrobe (not ship's supplied) and yes, yes a Rubber Swim Cap and pair of bath slipper.

Well the rest of the story, honestly. Walked in and picked up some stuff at various counters. Everyone watching, passengers and staff including Restaurant Manager. Well she finished picking up selections on a tray and then proceeded to the Deck 7 Staircase in the rear outside deck.

All at a awl...... I think staff was so shocked that they did not want to start something in Mid Lunch time and just wanted her to leave. Didn't look like she was ever going to sit.

Everyone passengers and staff just looked at each other amazed. I wish I had a phone to take a pictures of this.

As  dedicated Cunarder to Cruise Critics........ It Did happened......lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Are you trying to say that bathing suits, or the comparable, were appropriate in ALL locations on the ship until 6:00 PM?

No I'm not - be sensible! I pretty sure you have  to wear some clothes at all times ... 

I'm not saying I've never worn a swimsuit inside QE - but what I will say I have always worn  EITHER underwear or a swimsuit plus something of the top ... You figure it out. 

I have a tankini that I've worn to a number of night clubs too (not on QE) - its black, has spaghetti straps - and anyone seeing it with a skirt and a dressy shoes would assume that it was  a top - but I bought it in the swimsuit aisle and I wear it in pools too. Don't assume swimgear is single purpose. My partner's swim shorts are also gym shorts - same deal - can't tell the difference. 

Edited by lissie

8 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Exlondoner,

You would as shocked as I was when we were on our first sailing on the QM2 and went to lunch in the Kings Court. Don't remember what day # it was.

This lady, yes lady, for real came walking into the Italian location in KC with a One Piece Swim Suit, a Private Bathrobe (not ship's supplied) and yes, yes a Rubber Swim Cap and pair of bath slipper.

Well the rest of the story, honestly. Walked in and picked up some stuff at various counters. Everyone watching, passengers and staff including Restaurant Manager. Well she finished picking up selections on a tray and then proceeded to the Deck 7 Staircase in the rear outside deck.

All at a awl...... I think staff was so shocked that they did not want to start something in Mid Lunch time and just wanted her to leave. Didn't look like she was ever going to sit.

Everyone passengers and staff just looked at each other amazed. I wish I had a phone to take a pictures of this.

As  dedicated Cunarder to Cruise Critics........ It Did happened......lol

And the question that immediately arises, to which there is obviously no answer, is did she do it again, or, indeed, had she done it the day before? I hope she didn't drip water.

Having said that, there is a well known hotel near here, where Cunard guests sometimes stay, which has a smart dress code for lunch. This ambience is rather spoilt when you are sitting in the lounge having coffee afterwards, while a constant procession of people in robes goes back and forth on their way to and from the Spa.

On 3/11/2022 at 2:49 PM, david,Mississauga said:

I feel the same. I had my first Cunard voyage in 1973, when jackets and ties were required every night including the first and last. I have never gone to dinner on Cunard without at least a jacket and tie and I don't intend to start now. Cunard can dumb the dress code all they want and I will pay no heed to it.

Well said keep your dress code going I think that is what is needed the people who still want to dress for dinner keep wearing shirt/jacket/ tie 

We tried it on P&O you could tell the nights that would have been informal when they dropped that dress code but I think gradually the informal nights became forgotten about

Cannot believe having cruised only once with Cunard in November they are now dumbing down

On 3/11/2022 at 1:29 PM, navybankerteacher said:

That green shirt shown in the picture was rather loose and baggy — much more likely to have been a sweater (jumper, for Brits).  But a tee shirt — whether silk, or Alencon lace or whatever - is more appropriate for a biker bar than any restaurant claiming any sort of dress code at all.

Of course, if Cunard decides to chase the less formal, it is their business decision —-  it remains to be seen whether they might lose a lot of their core customer base by becoming more Carnivalized.

just a question ? where would the customers go as Cunard is the last bastion of formality on cruising

On 3/11/2022 at 4:47 PM, bitob said:

The inconsistencies are very difficult for new passengers 

and btw

just because a guy is wearing a suit and tie doesn’t mean he looks good or “smart”

When I went on my first Cunard in November I would guess most passengers were traditional Cunarders I thought the dress code was of high standard and would say most men were dressed in at least shirt and jacket and on non Gala nights I could not believe how many evening dresses  women had on  it was lovely to see everyone so nicely dressed 

I felt I wanted to be dressed up as the ship was so beautiful that she deserves to have a dress code 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 5:00 PM, carlmm said:

Exactly, plenty of choice for those who prefer jeans, t-shirts, flip-flop, shorts in the dinning room,  baseball caps, "as long as it is clean", "but it is designer wear and very exepnsive", camouflage or what ever.

Why can't there be there just one line where people feel at home that prefer a more sophisticated and dressed-up environment?

That is exactly correct if there is all the cruise lines that are casual why not have one that is more traditional

On 3/11/2022 at 10:24 PM, majortom10 said:

I wish that they would have stuck to the traditional formal nights and "jackets required" for the rest and then those that dont want to wear should look elsewhere. I never want party ships so would not dream of booking a Carnival cruise and would never dream of booking with them and then moan I dont like their dress code standards. That would mean to me that I have chosen the wrong cruise line.

You are right if they stick to the traditional formal nights there would be no grey areas as what to wear

I reading these postings and taking part and I am just thinking do we have any idea of how lucky we are to be discussing dress codes and not living in Ukraine or Russia !!!

• Like 2

I can't find the post concerned, so please forgive me if I don't quote it exactly. However, someone referred to an 'unwritten dress code' (or something similar) for TAs. Please will someone expand on that?

We have done a few Cunard cruises (first one on the old QE2 when there were still 3 dress codes) but are doing our first TA next year. We both love to dress up and would feel very disappointed if we discover we have not taken enough fancy clothes  . . .

20 minutes ago, Slugsta said:

I can't find the post concerned, so please forgive me if I don't quote it exactly. However, someone referred to an 'unwritten dress code' (or something similar) for TAs. Please will someone expand on that?

We have done a few Cunard cruises (first one on the old QE2 when there were still 3 dress codes) but are doing our first TA next year. We both love to dress up and would feel very disappointed if we discover we have not taken enough fancy clothes  . . .

Recently, this was myself, having noted a previous post last year by an American.  
The poster stated there was an unofficial dress code by a small group of devotees sailing TA, where Formal (Gala) attire was worn on every evening, except the first and last evening of a crossing.

No doubt, one of the original group of ‘devotees’ will come forward.

One has not yet joined this group, but looking forward to doing so when taking M229E later this year.

• Thanks 1