How are the Swans doing 2022??

lots of arguments around a tassie (or NT, ACT) team  Most come down to $$$$

Tassie has a small population, so question about the size of potential supporter base. It is also a state with a north-south divide -- so the location of the team is an issue. The size of Tassie is also reflected in the potential sponsorship $$ available.

Suitable stadium availability is a big point. Blundstone in Hobart would require a substantial rebuild and capacity increase.

Relocation is an unhappy concept. Sydney are the relocated South Melbourne. It took some decades to get reasonably established. Fitzroy in Melbourne was merged with Brisbane -- severely disaffected fans. The chatter out of Tassie is they want a dedicated team, not a poorly performing team being relocated. Both North Melbourne (Hobart) and Hawthorn (Launceston) play several games in Tassie each season, underwritten by the Tasmanian govt. Neither has any desire to relocate - -- and the Tassie govt is not prepared to underwrite a relocation.

The number of teams in the competition has impacts on the fixture. How many teams? How often do they play each other? Currently 18 teams play 22 games in the home and away season.

Add to this is the television rights. There is 1 broadcast contract for free to air, and that is shared across cable. They are all unhappy. unlike the NFL, the teams do not have their own local arrangements.

• Like 1

That all seems to argue against a team relocating to Tassie. Not surprised money is part of the calculation but a little surprised teams don't make local TV arrangements. Is that against AFL rules?

I guess we don't have to take up that collection...😉

I think both teams can merge and relocate, they could be the tasmanian Hawkeroos or the Tasmanian Roohawks play their home games alternately between Launceston and Hobart. Because they are both crappy teams they won't have ton worry about crowds at the games.

• Haha 2

My sister and brother in law live in Hobart and have quite different views about whether Tasmania should have its own team. Sister like me is Victorian born and bred and thinks that perhaps a team from Victoria relocating would be the best option, brother in law is a native Tasmanian and wants their own team from scratch. Both barrack for large Victorian clubs and agree that could be a problem at least for a while, that Tasmanians already support an AFL club. As Adrian said, the population of Tasmania is small, about 526,000 or thereabouts and that could be a problem. Although Tasmania has proved they are able to support their own sporting teams such as in the Big Bash and the NBL.

• Like 1

Not an easy question as it is not clear and also depends on the state and season.

The team sport that is most played in Australia is Soccer,  Basketball and then Aussie rules and cricket.

But as most popular sports watched it is Aussie rules and rugby league.

Oh, cricket, I forgot about that one. Sort of confusing for me! I wondered if b'ball was popular. Good point to differentiate between most played and most watched; I meant the latter. So, maybe AFL doesn't have the saturation needed to expand at this time?

3 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

Oh, cricket, I forgot about that one. Sort of confusing for me! I wondered if b'ball was popular. Good point to differentiate between most played and most watched; I meant the latter. So, maybe AFL doesn't have the saturation needed to expand at this time?

Basketball tends to have up and down trends in popularity as far as spectators go. It is very popular participant wise. Our professional league NBL is reasonably popular at the moment. I guess we have to remember the biggest basketball stadium in Sydney holds approx. 17,500 spectators and some are as small as 3000-4000 which restricts the number of spectators. According to this article, the most popular spectator sport in Australia is AFL. Most Popular Sports in Australia

Thanks for the tip Mic. I checked, and in a minor miracle, the game will be on TV here--at 11 pm (well, 11:20)! That's early enough that I can probably watch it all. That gives me all day to nervously await the BIG game 😁

Go Swans! (please)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Thanks for the tip Mic. I checked, and in a minor miracle, the game will be on TV here--at 11 pm (well, 11:20)! That's early enough that I can probably watch it all. That gives me all day to nervously await the BIG game 😁

Go Swans! (please)

I thought the game time may have suited. 

Go Swans.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Swans play the Magpies at home tomorrow 3.20pm our time, winner stays in the top 4, most likely 2nd, i think it is a must win if the Swans hope to make the Grandfinal.

Huuuuge game. Win well for 2nd, depending on how the Demons go, lose and drop to 6th. As much as the Dockers are fading, I can't see them losing to the Eagles.

9 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Huuuuge game. Win well for 2nd, depending on how the Demons go, lose and drop to 6th. As much as the Dockers are fading, I can't see them losing to the Eagles.

That about sizes it up.

Go Swans!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Chris Rock watching at the game and has a swans cap on.

I'm shocked he knows anything about the AFL. At least he backed the Swans!

7 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Swans 9.10 (64) to Pies 6.5 (41) at 3/4 time, accurate kicking would have had this game to bed by now.

Yep, I thought they missed some easy ones; glad someone who knows more about the game thinks so too. Let's hope they work on this before the playoffs.

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Swans 11.11 (77) to Pies 7.8 (50) at full time, 27 point win is a nice percentage booster as well.

Swans go to 2nd on the table,, saints to come next week.

Pies drop to 5th.

Go Swans! I watched most of the game, fell asleep and missed most of the 4thQ. Woke up in time to see the game end and the Swans win. All that worrying for no reason.

Go Swans!

• Like 1