How are the Swans doing 2022??

4 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

I had no idea Buddy was that close to 1000.  I wonder if he will make it through the season, seems he was hurt a lot last year.

Who needs security when someone clears 1000 goals 😁

Go Swans!

He kicked his 1000th with just a few minutes to go in the last quarter. 

You are currently viewing Buddy Franklin kicks 1000th goal, sparks AFL chaos as world reacts | AFL 2022 Swans Vs Cats

Lance Franklin is held aloft by a sea of people who have run on to the SCG

The game was held up for some time to clear the crowd.

Final scores - Swans 17.5.107 defeated Cats 10.17.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, possum52 said:

He kicked his 1000th with just a few minutes to go in the last quarter. 

The game was held up for some time to clear the crowd.

Final scores - Swans 17.5.107 defeated Cats 10.17.

Buddy looks pretty happy (surprised?) in that pic. 

Thanks for posting.

Go Swans!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Covid fest with all that mob mixing. Where were the police and security I ask? 

My son in law said that if Buddy doesn't get Covid from that, he is immune! Many extra NSW cases perhaps in the next few days Les.

Security were there somewhere but it didn't appear to be too many of them and the police showed up as he got closer to the players' race. 

• Haha 1

I was at the game - it was simply amazing, the energy of the crowd throughout the game willing Buddy to kick those last 4 goals, the sheer sight of all those fans running onto the field was truly simply to behold. I was up in the stands but thought what the heck so we run out as well just to a few pics with the 1000th goal on the scoreboard in the background.

Two Swans players got lost in all the confusion and ended up outside the ground on the street. And lucky the rain held for those final minutes after the game restart. Interesting to note the scoreboard clock stops at 59.59 and resets to 00.00 even though the game was still on.  Just a couple of those moments of the night for a chuckle.

No Whiners hope you see can this video taken from a drone 

https://www.afl.com.au/video/726336/the-incredible-moment-lance-franklin-kicks-his-1000th-goal?videoId=726336&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1648207811001

Edited by Cruisegroover

28 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

I was at the game - it was simply amazing, the energy of the crowd throughout the game willing Buddy to kick those last 4 goals, the sheer sight of all those fans running onto the field was truly simply to behold. I was up in the stands but thought what the heck so we run out as well just to a few pics with the 1000th goal on the scoreboard in the background.

Two Swans players got lost in all the confusion and ended up outside the ground on the street. And lucky the rain held for those final minutes after the game restart. Interesting to note the scoreboard clock stops at 59.59 and resets to 00.00 even though the game was still on.  Just a couple of those moments of the night for a chuckle.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/726336/the-incredible-moment-lance-franklin-kicks-his-1000th-goal?videoId=726336&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1648207811001

I don't understand how Florent and Warner ended up on Driver Ave, surely the AFL/Swans had something in place to ensure that all the players made it safely off the  ground into the rooms and not out of the stadium! 

FOvG15pacAAXqh8.jpg?width=952&height=592

2 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I don't understand how Florent and Warner ended up on Driver Ave, surely the AFL/Swans had something in place to ensure that all the players made it safely off the  ground into the rooms and not out of the stadium! 

FOvG15pacAAXqh8.jpg?width=952&height=592

I don't either. Perhaps they thought is was easier to exit the field on the side they were on and walk around the outside of the stadium to the Swans entrance then battle across the field. Makes sense looking at this picture.

Someone in the crowd captured Warner clearly over the moon saying "I**** kicked it to him". Don't think I could post that clip here though.

I was at Plugger's1300th in 1999 and we were saying how little security there was on the fence line leading up to the last 2 goals compared to 1999. People were on the field before Buddy had even kicked the ball. Even clearing the ground afterwards there was little security until the boys in blue arrived and formed a line across the field to get everyone off (one end only) and then it took several security guys to round up one single fan who was having his 15mins of fame. I thought the AFL had a plan but for whatever reason that plan didn't seem to work.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cruisegroover said:

Cruisegroover

Thank you for posting that link, it was incredible to watch. And all the fans creeping down to get on the field in anticipation of a successful goal. Very cool. Also, very cool you could be there.

23 minutes ago, possum52 said:

it does seem a bit odd. I mean, they were in their uniforms and all 😁

I hope this is the beginning of a memorable Swans season.

Go Swans!

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to be at the game in 1999 where Lockett kicked the record breaking 1300th goal. Was high up in a grandstand that day so I just watched from above.

But last night, I was on the ground level so thought why not? Didn't go much further than the goalsquare for a couple of minutes soaking it in before retreating back to my seat. I don't think we'll see anyone kick 1000 again in a long long time, if at all. So gave it a go.

The atmosphere in that 4th quarter was electric. The entire ground level of the Noble Stand was packed, all standing - I've never seen that before.

And even moreso than Bud's 1000th goal, was the very good overall team performance in completing a solid 30 point win over quality opposition.

Edited by losfp
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, losfp said:

I was lucky enough to be at the game in 1999 where Lockett kicked the record breaking 1300th goal. Was high up in a grandstand that day so I just watched from above.

But last night, I was on the ground level so thought why not? Didn't go much further than the goalsquare for a couple of minutes soaking it in before retreating back to my seat. I don't think we'll see anyone kick 1000 again in a long long time, if at all. So gave it a go.

The atmosphere in that 4th quarter was electric. The entire ground level of the Noble Stand was packed, all standing - I've never seen that before.

And even moreso than Bud's 1000th goal, was the very good overall team performance in completing a solid 30 point win over quality opposition.

This is just making me wish we could see more of the games here 😞

Is Lockett #1 in goals scored? 1300 seems like a LOT.

Go Swans!

2 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

This is just making me wish we could see more of the games here 😞

Is Lockett #1 in goals scored? 1300 seems like a LOT.

Go Swans!

Yes, Lockett has the record. It is a lot of goals.

The 1000 goal number is somewhat disputed. The “official” number given is 6. This reflects the current AFL, and the records from the VFL. People supporting teams from the other state leagues (including the VFA) the exclusion of their records. So, Western Australia has 4, South Australia 2, etc.

I gets more complicated when there were players moving between leagues. A really noticeable omission is Peter Hudson.  He ‘only’ has 727 goals on the AFL list. As they were from from 129 games, an astonishing scoring rate.  We add in his Tasmanian League games which produced 960 goal. Total 1687.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

The Swans  are now trying to track down the ball that was kicked by Buddy for the 1000th goal. Not surprisingly it disappeared into the crowd…

Oh no, someone took the ball??? The fan who took it should be like the guy who got Tom Brady's record-breaking TD pass from the receiver. Make Buddy pay up (a lot) to get the ball back!! (Actually, that guy gave in too quickly. Once he gave up the ball, he lost all leverage). Tell Buddy he wants season tix, an autographed jersey, etc.

It does seem a bit complicated when you consider all the other leagues/games played. But still, 1300 and 1000 are pretty dam good.

Go Swans!

5 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

Oh no, someone took the ball??? The fan who took it should be like the guy who got Tom Brady's record-breaking TD pass from the receiver. Make Buddy pay up (a lot) to get the ball back!! (Actually, that guy gave in too quickly. Once he gave up the ball, he lost all leverage). Tell Buddy he wants season tix, an autographed jersey, etc.

It does seem a bit complicated when you consider all the other leagues/games played. But still, 1300 and 1000 are pretty dam good.

Go Swans!

Here is the culprit! Follow this link to a video of him getting the ball. Gutsy mark.

1e1aceb09701f54043dc19c205d45fb2.webp.0c60594ea3876bf0e7862a129f978236.webp

2 hours ago, NoWhiners said:

That was very good, thanks By the Bay. I was worried he would get crushed. Great view of the fans rushing the field too. Any updates on whether they tracked him down yet??

Go Swans!

Not that I have read anywhere. Maybe his people are talking to the Swans people.  The Swans have posted this on Twitter.

To the person who caught the ball, we would love to get it back for Buddy! We’re inviting you to training to meet Lance and present the ball to him. Get in our DMs pls!! Twitter link.

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

Not that I have read anywhere. Maybe his people are talking to the Swans people.  The Swans have posted this on Twitter.

To the person who caught the ball, we would love to get it back for Buddy! We’re inviting you to training to meet Lance and present the ball to him. Get in our DMs pls!! Twitter link.

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

Well, that's pretty nice of the fan. I guess a pic with Buddy (autographed, I hope) is pretty good. fans stealing jumpers made me chuckle. I wonder how many of the fans could fit into them???😉

Go Swans!