Soot issue back on Wonder of seas

baron9

11 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

The same soot can occasionally be found on the seats in the Aqua Theatre, but not the same level as deck 17. 

Has anyone in the boardwalk balconies experienced it on their floor, chairs or table?

Off topic, but hope you get on a cruise ship soon. Miss your great reviews. Wish Periscope was still around. Other platforms just don’t cut it.

mac_tlc

• Like 1

9 hours ago, soremekun said:

Joking aside, why do you think our stateroom "fridges" don't get cold?  Saving energy?

Because technically, they are not actual "Refrigerators", they are just "Beverage coolers". In fact, our "fridge" on Odyssey actually had a sticker stating as much.

I did not investigate. I did not look up any model numbers or anything, so I am not sure if that means that they are just thermal electric and not compressor based. Thermal electric (and maybe cheap refrigerators??) can only cool things to something like 30-40 degrees (F) below ambient temperature. So if the room is warm or the cabinet doesn't have good enough ventilation, it's not going to chill to a desired temperature. @Jimbo comment about opening the cabinet should help. The other thing we've done in the past is had the room attendant fill the ice bucket and put that in the fridge. That helps also.

• Like 5

We are in aqua suite  8734.  And yes we have some soot on the balcony.

the original soot issue on oasis when first delivered was really bad.  I believe Rcl adjusted the height of the funnels and that some how helped the issue.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, baron9 said:

FYI, On WOS now. We spent a few hours on the suite sun deck and had a good about of soot on our cloths and body. The soot did not come off after laundry.

I will be happy to answer any suite/star class question.

Stained clothes aside, I wonder what this does to your lungs? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, baron9 said:

FYI, On WOS now. We spent a few hours on the suite sun deck and had a good about of soot on our cloths and body. The soot did not come off after laundry.

I will be happy to answer any suite/star class question.

Happens on lots of ships.   Not sure where the suite deck is located on Wonder, but seems the issue is generally towards the aft  on other  ships .     Had some sort of huge soot issue at the diving show (either Allure or Harmony)  a few months ago. 

When we have an aft cabin, we always take a towel outside  for the chairs.

M

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Answer is no, it won't have any soot.

The combustion of natural gas does not emit soot, dust or fumes. It generates 30% less carbon dioxide (CO2) than fuel oil and 45% less than coal, with a .

Typical answer by an LNG utility.  Incomplete combustion of LNG (essentially methane) can cause soot deposits both in diesel engines and boilers.  Further, the diesel engines do not burn LNG exclusively, they use a minimum of 5% diesel to get the combustion started.  Rapid changes in load, like a bus accelerating, or a ship using thrusters and maneuvering, can result in incomplete combustion due to turbocharger lag (insufficient air for complete combustion).  Also, the heat exchange surfaces in boilers will precipitate soot from combustion gases, and the same for turbocharger surfaces.  These soot deposits reduce thermal efficiency, and need to be removed by steam or ground nut blasting, resulting in soot "blasts" from the stacks on a regular basis (typically daily).  While LNG does reduce the soot levels considerably, LNG is not a soot free fuel.  A utility that operates at a near constant power level, as most do, is far easier to maintain complete combustion than a variable power plant like a ship.

• Thanks 3

17 hours ago, SG65CB said:

Oasis too. The suite sun deck is overlooking the solarium up front on Oasis. 

I remember our first few cruises on Carnxxxx Crruise Line. Where the Sun Deck meant it was the topless deck. I'm positive that the Sun Deck has a whole different meaning on Royal's ships no matter which class they are.   🙂

9 hours ago, RobInMN said:

Because technically, they are not actual "Refrigerators", they are just "Beverage coolers". In fact, our "fridge" on Odyssey actually had a sticker stating as much.

I did not investigate. I did not look up any model numbers or anything, so I am not sure if that means that they are just thermal electric and not compressor based. Thermal electric (and maybe cheap refrigerators??) can only cool things to something like 30-40 degrees (F) below ambient temperature. So if the room is warm or the cabinet doesn't have good enough ventilation, it's not going to chill to a desired temperature. @Jimbo comment about opening the cabinet should help. The other thing we've done in the past is had the room attendant fill the ice bucket and put that in the fridge. That helps also.

About half seem to be thermo electric, and the rest are compressor refrigerators. Look inside for a freon type listed for a compressor version. 

8 hours ago, baron9 said:

We are in aqua suite  8734.  And yes we have some soot on the balcony.

the original soot issue on oasis when first delivered was really bad.  I believe Rcl adjusted the height of the funnels and that some how helped the issue.

Spent 12 days in 8730 on Allure. No soot, but we had 11 sea days😉

16 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

About half seem to be thermo electric, and the rest are compressor refrigerators. Look inside for a freon type listed for a compressor version. 

I think more are the ammonia absorbtion type refrigerators, and these can be sensitive to motion, where unleveling of the unit will restrict liquid ammonia flow back to the evaporator.  This is fairly common with the small "dorm" fridges on ships.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

Unbelievable….consider a land vacation or staying home. 

🤪

Or maybe Royal can simply design ship spaces to avoid locations where their guests will be covered in soot? Or if its a known issue during a specific "cleaning" cycle of the engine/stack they close off the specific area in question.

Been on a couple different ships with no issues what so ever. Never even heard of the issue before.

Like someone else said I can only imagine what that does to your lungs if its stain clothes where it won't even come out.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Send a man to the moon, you would think someone could make a fridge on a cruise ship that could freaking get cold!

When we were on LOTS in January, we asked about the "fridge." The response from our room steward was that it's only a cooler.   🙂   

29 minutes ago, Jingerwoppy said:

When we were on LOTS in January, we asked about the "fridge." The response from our room steward was that it's only a cooler.   🙂   

You don't see many coolers with plugs do you? ... maybe that is what all Refridgerators turn into when they don't work.....Coolers, Neat.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

You don't see many coolers with plugs do you? ... maybe that is what all Refridgerators turn into when they don't work.....Coolers, Neat.

I think you are mistaking the kind of cooler Royal is referring to. It's not an ice chest, which doesn't have a plug.   It is an electric cooler, and yes they do have plugs.  A cooler is typically designed to not go below 46° where a refrigerator would be around 38° to 40°.  

Screenshot_20220314-220521_Google.jpg.5c29685579ba5e441f8635067ceb977a.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I think you are mistaking the kind of cooler Royal is referring to. It's not an ice chest, which doesn't have a plug.   It is an electric cooler, and yes they do have plugs.  A cooler is typically designed to not go below 46° where a refrigerator would be around 38° to 40°.  

Screenshot_20220314-220521_Google.jpg.5c29685579ba5e441f8635067ceb977a.jpg

CYA..............either way it's useless.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

It is an electric cooler, and yes they do have plugs.  A cooler is typically designed to not go below 46° where a refrigerator would be around 38° to 40°.

For absorption refrigerators, the pressure that the ammonia is under when built determines the amount of cooling effect, and what temperature the system will stop cooling at. 

My understanding is that the "fridges" do not have compressors which means they won't get as cold as a true refrigerator which does have a compressor. The amount of electricity to run a compressor in every cabin would put a strain the ship's electrical system.

chengkp75  Thank you Chief, we can always count on a great Kings Point man to keep our merchant marine ships running smoothly. As a lowly AB Unlimited, I always enjoy your interesting and informative comments.  Acta Non Verba  or Deeds not Words. Fair winds and following seas.

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

My understanding is that the "fridges" do not have compressors which means they won't get as cold as a true refrigerator which does have a compressor. The amount of electricity to run a compressor in every cabin would put a strain the ship's electrical system.

For an absoption refrigerator, that does not have a compressor, it can very well cool things down to zero degrees F.  It all depends on the pressure the ammonia is under when built, and this determines the strength of the tubing, etc, in the refrigerator, as this would need to be about 200-300 psi, while a freon type refrigerator is only around 150 psi.

On 3/13/2022 at 6:48 PM, BND said:

Very common on the aft of ships.  There have been plenty of posts about aft balconies on other ship classes too.  It really cant' be helped as it's a function of exhaust that can't be directed/controlled.  

Booked my first aft balcony and am worried about this too. I've seen numerous posts about this issue and hope it won't be so bad since we have a side aft and not a aft, aft (If that makes sense lol).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

A lot of folks in the cigar hobby use thermoelectric fridges for cigar storage (wineador) for this very reason.  

I’ve found the newer cooling units on the Oasis class ships to do a good job of getting things ice cold. Recently on Harmony the fridge was very cold. I recall the same on Symphony. 
I find that leaving the cabinet door open on the older ships helps a lot by allowing the heat to escape.  

Edited by HicksRA

6 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

I’ve found the newer cooling units on the Oasis class ships to do a good job of getting things ice cold. Recently on Harmony the fridge was very cold. 
I find that leaving the cabinet door open on the older ships helps a lot by allowing the heat to escape.  

I've had very good luck with getting fridges/coolers that work very well