The Daily for Monday 03/14/2022

richwmn

Today is Learn about Butterflies Day, National Potato Chip Day, and Pi Day

Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.--Lemony Snicket, Horseradish

Meal Suggestion for today - Horchata
Drink of the Day - Bourbon Squash
Wine of the Day - Salvioni 2016 Brunello di Montalcino Tuscany
Destination of the Day - Ravenna (San Marino), Italy

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Eurodam   Destination Cartagena, CO eta 3/15
Nieuw Amsterdam   Destination Falmouth Jamaica eta 3/15
Nieuw Statendam   Destination Fort Lauderdale, P eta 3/16

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam   Destination Cabo San Lucas, MX eta 3/15
Zuiderdam   Destination Raiatea Island, Ut eta 3/17

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Rotterdam   08:00 - 15:00

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Atlantic

Volendam   Destination Malaga, SP eta 3/18

Cadiz SP

Zaandam   Shipyard

Freeport, BS

Noordam  

Limassol, CY

Oosterdam   Anchorage

San Pedro CA US

Westerdam  

0314World.thumb.png.f3fe1b4f9e945442672a342248f73208.png
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 15

Good Monday morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report.  Fun collection of days today, when we were in Aruba we went to the butterfly farm where I learned that forest butterflies like to dine on fermented fruit until they sometimes pass out!  Pi day is my mom’s birthday, happy birthday mom!  Who can resist potato chips?  Interesting quote today.  Since horchata is a beverage I’ll pass on it as a meal, sounds tasty though.  I haven’t been to today’s port, I’m sure the photos will be great.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating celebrating happy events today.  

• Like 29

Good morning.  Thanks for the Monday Daily Report.

Happy Pi Day!  Butterflies are beautiful.  Love potato chips. 

I don't know what the meal suggestion is so I'll wait to see the recipe.  I'm sure the drink and wine are winners.

This time change will take me a while to get used to.  I slept in until 6:30!  Okay, a few days ago that was 5:30 but now it seems late!  Bertie is ready for his walk, and it's still dark out.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 28

Thank you for the Pi Day Daily, Rich.  I like looking at butterflies and enjoy potato chips.  I am no longer much of a reader except on airplanes.  I have not been to Ravenna and will pass on the Horchata.  My Alternative will be  Key Lime Pi as served at lunch on MS Prinsendam Pi day of 2019:

keylime.jpg

Today’s care list:

Kakalina with esophageal blockage and numbered days
Buddy with pneumonia
Ukraine
Hartgrove older sister with aggressive cancer
Strength for Jacqui as she searches for a suitable facility for Jose
Marely’s continuing decline
Welfare of furloughed crews
Tana with pneumonia and rough nights
From the rotation:
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailor DH and Kazu DH Jose no longer able to cruise
Cruzn single post-covid fatigue
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with passengers
2 days for Overhead Fred, sassy-one, and sailingdutchy (Niew Statendam 3/16 to 4/ 6)
6 days for Aliaschief and Dwaliaschief (Rotterdam to 4/3)
 kb4683 (Nieuw Statendam to 3/16), Aliaschief and Dwaliaschier (Azamara Quest to 3/17), Navybikermom (Nieuw Amsterdam to 3/19),  GTVCCRUISER (Koningsdam to 3/20), DeeniEncinitas  (Ruby Princess to 3/27),  Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3) at sea
Aliaschief finding his good cruise fit
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - enjoying a well earned vacation. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 34
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 1

Good morning! Beautiful morning sailing toward are port of the day Virgin Gordo. Coffee Al Fresco. 

We enjoyed our firstWhite Night with a feast served by the officers and entertainment enjoyed by all.

Note the BBQ grills on deck cooking lamb and kabobs.

Off to get ready for today’s excursions!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 41
  • Thanks 7

Thank you for today’s Daily Rich! Thank you for our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites. 
@kazu Jacqui, there is nothing I can add to the outpouring of support and love from our fellow Dailyites- but know that I am part of this group hug. ❤️

A few gentle smiles….

My local weather folk posted this on Saturday while we were under our “watch”.

0E367191-5EE2-46EE-955B-CFEE5FACFA7F.jpeg.254c6fdf52b83bc71d32b684cf93a1a9.jpeg

53005F45-61BD-4DEA-B9CC-DAE50A9D3935.jpeg.245cdff3c19359317144712a7473f08e.jpeg

E0321FAF-33C6-47F1-82E7-CFD12013A2B9.jpeg.621ba8b29d3c990a63a42a5c2c22c2e6.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Salvioni 2016 Brunello di Montalcino Tuscany

This is one for the books. Another rare entry with a rating of 100 from one of the critics. But the price made me gulp. Several online distributors with prices starting at $184.99.

Winemaker Notes

The ruby red color of a young Brunello attenuates during its evolution leaving hints of light garnet which change as the wine ages. The structure is rich in dry. Tannins are present but soft with a long finish.

This Brunello is excellent with roasted red meats and skewers of wild game while the older vintages improve over time even as meditation wines.

WE100  Wine Enthusiast

Absolutely stunning, this gorgeous red has enticing aromas of wild rose, forest berries, new leather and camphor. Full-bodied and delicious, the smooth, structured palate is all about flavor, focus and finesse, doling out succulent black cherry, crushed raspberry, star anise and white pepper notes framed in tightly knit, refined tannins. Bright acidity keeps it impeccably balanced. Beautiful now and will continue to age and develop even more complexity for years to come. Drink 2024–2041.  Cellar Selection.

RP97  Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The Salvioni 2016 Brunello di Montalcino La Cerbaiola has some punch and lift to it with aromas of wild rose, cola and forest berry. The wine's personality, and its strict adherence to a classic Sangiovese tradition, is consistent with the house style. What sets the 2016 apart is the depth of the fruit and the pronounced length of the finish, which is driven by structural power, acidic freshness and dryness on the tannins. The wine reveals a deep ruby color with a slightly darker hue and more richness in this vintage, and that extra heft will serve the wine well as it completes its aging trajectory. Best after 2024.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 10

Good morning, everyone.

463334419_PiDay.jpg.a857fcba1d101ff37ee4191d527be8ff.jpg

The math teacher in me can't resist.  We used to have big Pi Day celebrations at school.  They were accompanied by way too much pie.  

Horchata is indeed a drink.  There are many varieties of horchata, depending on where you are.  I remember when I was spending summers in Madrid learning Spanish, I would stop by Retiro Park on the way home after class.  I generally would get a limonada, but occasionally I'd treat myself to horchata.  I'd sit in the park and do my homework.   I had a particular beverage stand that I went to each day and the staff remembered me from year to year.  

Horchata is a name given to various kinds of plant-based beverages. It is known in Valencia as orxata de xufa. In Spain it is made with soaked, ground, and sweetened tiger nuts. In Latin America, and other parts of the Americas, the base is jicaro, melon or sesame seeds, or white rice, along with other spices.

https://www.cookingclassy.com/horchata/

896936916_horchata1.thumb.jpg.0acc55f24f55201ee37190d1535502c1.jpg

This one omits the nuts.   https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/horchata/

Horchata-2.thumb.jpg.1ce8cd4cd812bbce2d60f5a52621d74e.jpg

This one uses lime in it.  While I like lime, I don't remember ever tasing lime in horchata.   https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/horchata/

1385035844_horchata4.jpg.c2ccec542ca82081467c624f8f166765.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine and our Daily family.   Cheers to those who are celebrating.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 9

Good afternoon.

We had such a lovely meal last night for Paulines birthday that we are going to do it again tonight.

Pauline had a Maine New England lobster which the chef kindly took all the meat out for Pauline.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Thank you Roy for keeping all the list's current.

Interesting days today.

I never carry a book but my mobile phone is with me all the time.

Ravenna is the replacement port for Venice but the transport links are poor especially from Venice airport where it can take 2-4 hours depending on traffic.

Prayers 🙏 for everyone on the care list.

Wishing everyone a fantastic week ahead.

Take care.

Graham.

IMG_20220313_184132.jpg

IMG_20220313_190030.jpg

IMG_20220313_190557.jpg

IMG_20220313_191319.jpg

IMG_20220313_193859.jpg

IMG_20220313_193937.jpg

IMG_20220313_203405.jpg

IMG_20220313_204012.jpg

IMG_20220313_204030.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 5

Good morning to all the Dailyites.

Thank you to Rich and Roy for the lists.

I like Butterflies and will buy almost anything (within reason) that has a butterfly design on it.  If it also has daisies then I am all set.  

Who can resist potato chips? Not this girl. Especially if they are Pringles.

Pi Day.  Okay.

Skip the meal and the drink.

I would like to have the wine, but not sure I want to dip in to my purse to spend that much money for something to drink.  I am sure it is very good,.

Have not been to the port.

I continue to keep all those on the list in my prayers.

@kazu you know we are all with you.  Wish I could be there to help and to hug.  You have more on your plate than anyone should have to bear alone.  Prayers for you.

@StLouisCruiserscontinued prayers for your family in hopes for improvement.

@lazey1prayers for Kakalina.

@smitty34877prayers for Tana.

@aliaschief your photos are wonderful.  I have a month until I board one of the sister ships (Oceania Nautica), which also holds 684 passengers. I am wondering how the Azamara experience compares with Oceania and will try to see if there are any comparisons on CC.  You sure look like you are having a great time.  Happy for you.

@grapau27nice photos.  Hope Pauline had a nice birthday yesterday.

Prayers for all who need them, even if you are not on the lists.  

Cheers for those celebrating and cruising.  It appears that most of those on the Cheers list appear to be on that list are on cruises.

Take care everyone.  Have a nice Monday.  it is warming up here today.  Going up to 70.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Today's sunrise is from what may be my first major string of cruises, Crystal Symphony from Los Angeles to Sydney and Queen Victoria Bangkok to Dubai.  March 14, 2010 was a sea day between Honolulu and Sydney:

IMG_1647.thumb.JPG.cd553a85d5d8bfae8c22c723fc85c77f.JPG

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 7

Quick post of the drink of the day.  Have a card class this morning.  Two drinks today!

Bourbon Squash:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Maker's Mark® Bourbon
3/4 parts Orange Juice
1/2 part Lemon Juice
1 tsp Simple Syrup

Instructions
Squeeze citrus juices into a tall glass. Add simple syrup and pack the glass with shaved ice. Add Makers Mark® Bourbon and stir. Serve with a cocktail straw.

Screen Shot 2022-03-14 at 8.48.49 AM.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 8

Good morning everyone! Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and Debbie for today's recipes.  And thank you everyone for caring and sharing!

Love potato chips, especially the Kettle-Style! or Crinckle-Cut.  I enjoy having a horchata if we happen to eat out at a Mexican restaurant for lunch and too early for a margarita.

Stay safe!

- Jack

• Like 26

Good morning friends!  It's sunny this morning and temps are moving up this week.  Yay!  Happy birthday to your Mom today, @Mr. Boston.  It's my little brother's birthday, too.  He went to see Jen at the hospital yesterday.  He said he found her in her wheelchair with her head on the table in front of her, sleeping with the sunshine spilling in on her.  He let her sleep a while then he woke her because he'd brought her some St. Louis favorites to eat - Pasta House entrees and gooey butter cake.  He says she still cannot speak or walk.  The hospital will discharge her tomorrow but they haven't found a place for her to go yet.  

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily.  Butterflies are beautiful and we love potato chips.  I wished my DD the math teacher a Happy Pi Day this morning.  I'll skip the horchata, drink and wine.  Ravenna is a spot I don't think I've visited before.  It was last posted here on July 12, 2021.  Thanks in advance for photos which might be posted.  Roy @rafinmdthanks for updating our Care and Celebration lists.  Lots of cruisers on that Celebration list!  So many ill or hurting on the Care list.  Special prayers said each day for Ukraine, the people there, and those helping them.   I also pray for our Care list people, especially Jose, Jacqui and Marley, Tana along with her son and family caring for her, Kakalina in her final days, and all the rest of us who need prayers.  Hoping for happier news in the future.  Have a wonderful day!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Butterflies are so pretty; whenever we stopped in Key West, we always went to the butterfly museum.  Love potato chips - plain, please, but maybe with some herb/spice dip.  Pi day means I'll head down to the freezer and bring up a frozen one to bake later today.

As I look out into the darkness, I see we've had more snow overnight.  At this point, I'm done complaining, as every little bit means there's more moisture for the farmers.  It looks like I'll be able to blow it away, but looks can be deceiving in the dark.  Speaking of dark, how's everyone doing with the time change?  We stay on the same time all year, so we only have to adjust the times we watch certain tv programs, etc.  

There's not a lot happening for us today, and with the rising cost of gasoline, it's making us think about our daily drives around the city.  Now I'm looking at making a list of stops we should incorporate, and do everything in one fell swoop, rather than heading out every day.  

I like today's menu suggestion, although I'm pretty sure @richwmn just switched the meal and drink to see if any of us were really awake.  LOL  I'd love to try the wine, but yikes, the price!  As far as the squash, no, that won't be on our menu board any time soon, as neither of us is a great fan.  I realized we can have a nice Ukrainian meal tonight, as we have perogies (2 types: sauerkraut, and potato/cheddar), and farmer's sausage in the freezer.  I boil the perogies, then pan fry them along with minced onion and serve with a sprinkle of dill on top, and will cook the sausage in the air fryer.  Served with tomatoes and cucumbers will make a nice dinner for us tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  We'll say extra prayers for Ukraine, and all who are helping them, for Jose, and Jacqui who has so much on her shoulders, for Marley to have more quality time with her, and for all our Daily-ites and families experiencing health problems.   Clinking the glasses together we'll cheer on all on the celebration list.  Wash your hands, be safe, get your boosters, wear masks when you need to, stay well, and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 34

Happy Pi day!  We are getting ready for our trip around "the world" to get DH to his new Oral Surgeon.  DH is stressing over this appointment and he keeps showing me maps of different ways to get to where we are going.  Which is beginning to stress me out.  I still need to go walk "the dog"  before we go, and when we get back, still need to shower, and get gas, but right now?  I want to be in my happy place.

I love Potato Chips, I have a book in my purse, my car, and a whole room full, always have a book. They are friends who travel well.  I want to try the "meal", wonder what's in it, and I love butterflies.  The last time I saw my aunt back in 2000 we went to a butterfly farm. My aunt was a wonderful person, and I miss her a lot.

When I was in high school I worked at the nearest Wildlife refuge, and discovered a caterpillar in a stage that the scientists had not seen before.

nerd-cat.jpg%C2%A0

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 30
  • Haha 1

Good morning  everyone. It is a bright sunny day here and we have several leftover selections to have for dinner tonight.It will be a day of rest for 3 of us anyway.

I love the butterfly house at the Bronx zoo and have a hard time not eating chips.We have not been to the port and like the quote.

@StLouisCruisers,Sandi , it is awful to see first hand the devastating  effects of brain injuries  and strokes.The worst thing is the hospital just discharging her with no working plan.I also feel for Buddy and his family with this serious  setback.Prayers for all of you.

@kazu,Jacqui, prayers and hugs for you,Jose and Marley. 

Tana had to change antibiotics  as the first one was not effective. We shall wait and see how things one does.

Terry

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

Happy Birthday to Mr. Boston's mother and to StLouisCruiser's brother!  Busy day today.  One of my cousin's granddaughters was terrified of butterflies and when they took her to the Butterfly Gardens here to try to show her how harmless they are one landed on her and she freaked out!  We have been to Ravenna, it's amazing, and our next planned visit was going to be to San Marino, but the cruise was cancelled, so we missed out.  I think I posted some pictures of Ravenna last time it was the port of the day.  Prayers will be said for those on the Care List.

As soon as we make sure we can get tested here on a Saturday, we will be booking a cruise!  While I have my Prolia shot this morning Pat is going to go into the testing place near the doctor's office and check it out.  

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2