Small Cutbacks Noticed

tawlaw1526

I'll miss the chocolates, but it's not a big deal; some other lines haven't had them for quite a while.  We also don't really need the nightly turn-down, I always have pens with me and don't know if I've ever used the note pad.

I do hope I can get a regular paper Patters though; I love reading it all through before I go to bed and figuring out plans for the next day.   It won't be the same on the app!

Not having to go to the muster drill is a big plus!

Interesting thread. I would think the answer is pretty obvious.  If you need to try and recover millions in losses and a continued product running at 50-60% capacity, certain things need to be limited.  The chocolates (which we would save for the grandkids...never actually eat them) can go away forever and I will not miss them...I think something like the pen and paper is an overreaction to the COVID issue...two less things that need to be sanitized when rooms are vacated.  Yeah, don't think that really makes a difference, but I can't see people using that argument and then complaining about other virus controls going away...can't have it both ways.  But mostly, seems like a lot of first world minor grievances that I would never actually think about complaining about.  To each their own!!

• Like 3

I was on the Sky last week, first Princess cruise since 2018 though I did take three on HAL after the last Princess cruise and before the pandemic hit. I requested evening only service which worked out well. Also requested extra towels and ice which our cabin attendant, Dennis, took care of every evening. The wife and I both loved the medallion and I hope other brands (HAL & Celebrity in particular) adopt this technology

In my opinion the biggest area of cut back/disappointment is Princess Cay. The place looks the same as it did in 2002 when I first visited which is not a good thing. Compared to Half Moon Cay and Labadee (have not been to Coco Cay or either NCL or Disney Bahamas islands) both of which I visited in 2019, Princess Cay needs some type of upgrade/facelift. The beach area is very small, lots of rocks and of course tendering is a pain. When the tender first pulled into the harbor @ Princess Cay I saw a large tender with HAL logo and Half Moon Cay on it and I thought, could we have been re-routed to Half Moon Cay? Unfortunately we were not.

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

I'm slightly worried about what we're going to do with those when we sail on Princess in May if they're only doing once a day service.

I don't know why, but it seems as if it is only the OP who wasn't getting the turn down service after having requested it.  Our January cruise on Regal, we got evening turndown service without even needing to request it.  Others may have had the same experience as the OP, but YMMV. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I don't change my towels twice a day at home and not even once so I can certainly turn down my bed at night.  

I won't admit how often I change my towels at home & don't care if my towels are changed daily on the ship. There used to be (& may still be) a sign in the bathroom that said "if you don't want your towel changed [to save water] - hang them up" or words to that effect...so I did and the steward changed them anyway. After wasting my time on more than one cruise hanging towels up to dry, I gave up & just toss them on the floor.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We spent 3 weeks on the Sky in February. Thrilled to be back onboard after 2 years. We had an amazing room steward (Marvi). Never asked for evening turndown service but always got it. Didn't miss the chocolates (although the grandkids did ask for them once we got home). I always have pen and paper in my travel document pouch, so that was not missed. We had a wonderful cruise and in no way was my cruise experience diminished by any of these changes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

On our most recent Carnival cruise, we ended up in a "family" stateroom that had a full bathroom, plus a separate sink/tub room. We essentially had an entirely separate space to put all of our wet towels. I'm slightly worried about what we're going to do with those when we sail on Princess in May if they're only doing once a day service.

Use "chat" or steward request (I think there's a button for both in the app) & request towel service.

• Like 1

These are things that I simply don't care about:

Towel animals - don't hate them, but don't care if we ever get them.

Chocolates - I never ate them, but hubby did. He didn't miss them on our two cruises after the restart.

Pen and paper - I can't image traveling without a pen in my purse, even though I no longer write out notes on paper. I use the notes app on my phone.

Towel changes - we do just like we do at home. Hang them up. If the steward changes them anyway, that's up to him. Living in California pretty much bakes in the "don't waste water" thing.

Bed turn down - never did care about that.

Ice - we almost never want ice, but if we want that or anything else, we can request that through the app. Works perfectly well.

Changes for the good, from my point of view:

Other people have commented on smaller portions in the MDR. That works very well for me, since it means I can manage the full meal without making the choice of skipping the appetizer or dessert.  Also, from my point of view and I'm sure a lot of you all don't agree, using the app for check in is a change for the good. Even with the COVID check station, we got through check in at the pier much faster. This is definitely from my point of view, since the app has worked well for me. 

This is all a work in progress.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Chocolates-- We got a Princess Chocolate cake last night and saved the chocolate sides in a glass to have later.

I've noticed many cutbacks in food for the buffet and DR. Missing are prime rib, the cowboy steak was less than 1/4 inch thick. The selections for the Platinum/Elite lounge have been pathetic.  It's not worth taking the time to go any more.

Not to mention there are less production shows than past years.

• Like 3

Thanks for all of the towel/turndown feedback... it's good to know that's it's still an option in most cases. 

I'm fascinated by the towel use/reuse perspectives. Living in a smallish NY apartment (without a washer/dryer), using a plethora of fresh towels on a daily basis is something I love when traveling. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I've noticed many cutbacks in food for the buffet and DR. Missing are prime rib, the cowboy steak was less than 1/4 inch thick. The selections for the Platinum/Elite lounge have been pathetic.  It's not worth taking the time to go any more.

Not to mention there are less production shows than past years.

We noticed the same on Regal in September.  I miss the 'always available' steak in the DR and was surprised that baked potatoes are no longer available in the buffet (I like one at lunchtime with salad).  When I asked for one in the buffet I was told (by one of the chefs) that they don't do them but 'it would be a good idea'. I pointed out that this was the first Princess ship I had been on that didn't have them and the chef just shrugged his shoulders and walked off!

12 hours ago, snoodqueen said:

Princess needs to stop using Covid as an excuse to be cheap and cut back on those little extra touches. 

They never claimed that any of this was due to Covid.

A cutback is just that, a cutback. Nothing more, nothing less.

I asked my steward on our last 2 sailings for a pen and paper, and was told that they would have to ask their supervisor. Each time, they were in my cabin the next day.

As for the stamps, which are basically worthless. I believe that the program was discontinued long before Covid disrupted everything.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, tawlaw1526 said:

I just recently completed my first 2 cruises since the pandemic and I noticed a few cutbacks.   I know these are all small but it adds up and takes away from what I call extra special touches by Princess.   First, they stopped putting chocolates on the pillows, I know this is small but I always found this to be a level above the towel animals that the other cruise lines do.   These other cruise lines are still doing towel animals and Princess is doing nothing so in my opinion, now that puts Princess below in this category.   Second, I wanted to write a note to my cabin steward to ask for ice.   The usual pad of paper and pen that was in each cabin was missing.   I asked my cabin steward if he could give me the pad and pen and he said he is no longer allowed to give out paper and pen but I could buy a pen in the gift shop.   So I ended up spending $4.50 on a pen and writing notes on napkins.    REALLY PRINCESS!!!!!   Lastly, Princess use to put in your cabin upon arrival a cruise passport stamp.  Many years ago they stopped putting the stamp in your cabin but you could always get one at Captains Circle desk.    I have collected these cruise stamps for all of my past 23 cruises with Princess and have faithfully kept up with my Princess Cruise Passport Stamp Book all these years.    I went to Captains Circle this past cruise to ask for my stamp and she said, oh I am sorry, we’ve stopped doing the stamps.    I couldn’t believe my ears, these stamps don’t even cost them a cent.   Princess Cruise Passports were started by Princess and I have made sure all these years to track down that stamp so I could follow a Princess tradition and they just decide to STOP IT!!    Makes me feel like I’ve wasted so much time.   I would always be sure to track down a stamp, then when I got home, I pasted it in the Princess Cruise Passport and would write a few notes to summarize my cruise/vacation.   It was such a great way to view all past cruise and reminisce while keeping up with a Princess Cruise tradition.   Sad to see it end.  None of these things are deal breakers but it breaks my heart to see Princess cutting the smallest of corners.    

I'm sorry that you were told you had to purchase a pen.  On my recent cruise on the majestic, I called guest services and told them I was needing to fill out the laundry service form, but there was no pen in my cabin.  They immediately sent two brand new pens wrapped in plastic to our cabin.  No charge!  How are we supposed to fill out the breakfast door tag with no pen in our room?  I mean, I get that Princess (and other lines) are really working at reducing waste, but if those pens get left behind, it is easy to sanitize them for the next guest.  We took our two pens home though! lol

21 minutes ago, Louby-Lou said:

We noticed the same on Regal in September.  I miss the 'always available' steak in the DR and was surprised that baked potatoes are no longer available in the buffet (I like one at lunchtime with salad).  When I asked for one in the buffet I was told (by one of the chefs) that they don't do them but 'it would be a good idea'. I pointed out that this was the first Princess ship I had been on that didn't have them and the chef just shrugged his shoulders and walked off!

Baked potatoes are available in the MDR.  Two ladies sitting next to us ordered them on our recent sailing on the Majestic at the end of February.  I always forget that it is ok to ask for things not on the menu and was thinking "darn it, I should have ordered one!" but we had finished our dinner at that point.

• Like 1

I think the biggest cuts is in food. Both the items offered and the quality. Some menus on my 10 night cruise were un-inspiring. I didn't go hungry by any means.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

We expected that certain gifts that Princess would give would be curtailed for a while and not surprised at all.

We usually save the chocolates and give to family.

We have never had towel animals on a Princess cruise (have done 8 ) so I am not sure where that came from.

The nice thing about the MDR is that if you want more, all you have to do is ask. The one thing I know for sure about taking a cruise is that you will NOT go hungry 🙂

Edited by greenie082756
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Two months before the pause got a stamp on Sky from the Captain’s Circle  desk.

We too sailed right before the shutdown, and did not receive stamps. In fact, there were no stamps for for us for the bulk of our sailings. Maybe some stewards or entire ships ran out and didn't feel the need to replenish.

Just now, CineGraphic said:

We too sailed right before the shutdown, and did not receive stamps. In fact, there were no stamps for for us for the bulk of our sailings. Maybe some stewards or entire ships ran out and didn't feel the need to replenish.

The past few years - you had to ask for them from the Capt Circle Host. Maybe other places have them. They were no longer in the cabin.

1 minute ago, Coral said:

The past few years - you had to ask for them from the Capt Circle Host. Maybe other places have them. They were no longer in the cabin.

On Sky the hostess made it even easier & they were available at anytime in a container.

I'm just trying yo wrap my head around not having a pen in your purse or man-bag! Between the two of us, we probably have 6 or 8 easily (and the DH has a handy little notebook that gets used often!)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, julia said:

I'm just trying yo wrap my head around not having a pen in your purse or man-bag! Between the two of us, we probably have 6 or 8 easily (and the DH has a handy little notebook that gets used often!)

Yup!  I’ve been carrying a pen and little notebook in my handbag since I was a very young lady.  That and tissues and lipstick and tic tac mints! lol. Old habits die hard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

I was just going to say, both Celebrity and Royal are doing twice a day service.  It seems all Carnival brands are the ones who have gone to single service each day (under the pretense of COVID protocols)?

On our most recent Carnival cruise, we ended up in a "family" stateroom that had a full bathroom, plus a separate sink/tub room. We essentially had an entirely separate space to put all of our wet towels. I'm slightly worried about what we're going to do with those when we sail on Princess in May if they're only doing once a day service.

You can hang them up and let them dry and reuse them - just like I assume that you do at home.  How many of us change our towels at home twice per day?  There are other cutbacks on ships that would be more of a pain to me than towels.  I would definitely be extremely annoyed if they discontinued the paper patter.  I may be a luddite but having paper is a lot easier to use than  having to look up stuff on my phone especially as I don't carry my phone around with me on a cruise.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, donaldsc said:

You can hang them up and let them dry and reuse them - just like I assume that you do at home.  How many of us change our towels at home twice per day?  There are other cutbacks on ships that would be more of a pain to me than towels.

DON

The towels are not an issue for me either.  I have to admit, though, coming back to our cabin in the evening finding a turned down bed and dimmed lights and my Princess Patter to read in bed, was always one of the little pleasures of cruising.

• Like 9