Carnival Miracle vs. Ruby Princess

izmeeh

I'm debating between these two ships since I'm going with 2 older ladies.  Which would you pick?

For the same price, I can get a room with French doors with an obstructed view on the Miracle and an inside forward room on the Ruby Princess.

The itinerary is better on the Ruby Princess as many have suggested Glacier Bay NP.

Juneau
Skagway
Glacier Bay NP (scenic cruising)
Ketchikan
Victoria

Miracle

Juneau
Skagway
Icy Strait
Tracy Arm Fjord
Victoria

Air is supposedly circulate every 5 minutes or so on Ruby Princess.  But since there were a dozen of people tested positive for COVID in January and the current CDC rating is orange, I'm getting worry and thinking maybe I should be on the Miracle instead.  I can get fresh air on the Miracle.  The ventilation systems is supposedly upgraded but I can't find information as to how long the air is circulated.  

One of the ladies has not been on any cruise so this is a new experience for her.  It's probably a new experience for me, too, with COVID regulations keep changing.

You're asking the wrong forum. Everyone here will automatically steer you away from Carnival.  It's their bias.

Alaska is more of a scenic trip. Having a balcony may be more attractive as you can see scenary without having to go to an upper deck.

If money is an issue, choose the line where you can get a balcony.

If you just enjoy being on a ship and don't care about the outside or scenary, look at which ship is newer or has more bells and whistles that you want.

For what it's worth, I'm doing the 10 day Alaska cruise on the Miracle. I cruise for the ports. Not for the ship or "onboard experience. "

Edited by cruizergal70
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, thinfool said:

Ruby...Glacier Bay is wonderful for older pax....it is a 'cruise' day...not a port to get off and shop.

I will not get into the debate of Carnival vs Princess (although it is unlikely you would ever find us on another Carnival ship).  While I agree that Glacier Bay is beautiful and nice for those of us who enjoy sea days (with scenic cruising) I will mention that there is much to say in support of Icy Strait.  This is actually a port that is part of a Native population and one of the more rustic (that means real with no Diamonds International) ports used by major cruise ships.  Some of the excursions at Icy Strait are quite interesting (we went off on a guided hike looking for bears...and actually got within site of a few Brown Bears.  Our hiking group (not a difficult hike) had about 20 passengers along with a guide and a 2nd person who was our security (he carried a loaded 44-40 Rifle) whose short barreled gun was appropriate to kill a bear at close range.  The security guy told us that nobody has ever had to shoot a bear on a tourist trek.

On the other hand, when we were once in Glacier Bay (on a smaller HAL ship) we did see a huge Brown Bear on the edge of Glacier Bay.  But we were looking from over 1/4 of a mile distant since that is about as close as any cruise ship can get to the shore line.

Hank

Hank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruizergal70 said:

Isn't it a similar experience to Tracy Arm Fjord? A cruise thru area?

We have been to both. Glacier Bay is a 360 panoramic view. Tracy Arm you will sail up a narrow channel with beautiful waterfalls to the Glacier. It’s very nice but not as spectacular.

Glacier Bay you will be surrounded be glaciers and National Parks. Permits to Glacier Bay are limited and a park ranger will come onboard. We were able to get up closer in the ship there. In Tracy Arm they offered smaller boats to go closer. Check the Alaska Board here for more opinions. 

Edited by Pudgesmom

22 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

You're asking the wrong forum. Everyone here will automatically steer you away from Carnival.  It's their bias.

I disagree.  I have sailed on Carnival 4 times with Miracle being one of those trips.  Carnival Miracle is a nice ship.  The Carnival cruise product is different from Princess, but both have their pluses as well as their minuses.  

Hlitner's comment about Icy Point Strait is spot on as to the experience being different from most of the other Inside Passage Ports.  Glacier Bay is, indeed, a highlight of most cruises, but, there are other parts of an itinerary that may be quite attractive to some cruisers as well.  

5 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Then where should they ask?

On the Carnival and Princess forums. Anyone who has been around this forum knows the bias.  It is what it is.

Like i said, try to get a balcony.  Also, go to YouTube and look at videos of Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm to see the difference. 

Edited by cruizergal70

On 3/16/2022 at 8:44 PM, izmeeh said:

I'm debating between these two ships since I'm going with 2 older ladies.  Which would you pick?

For the same price, I can get a room with French doors with an obstructed view on the Miracle and an inside forward room on the Ruby Princess.

The itinerary is better on the Ruby Princess as many have suggested Glacier Bay NP.

Juneau
Skagway
Glacier Bay NP (scenic cruising)
Ketchikan
Victoria

Miracle

Juneau
Skagway
Icy Strait
Tracy Arm Fjord
Victoria

Air is supposedly circulate every 5 minutes or so on Ruby Princess.  But since there were a dozen of people tested positive for COVID in January and the current CDC rating is orange, I'm getting worry and thinking maybe I should be on the Miracle instead.  I can get fresh air on the Miracle.  The ventilation systems is supposedly upgraded but I can't find information as to how long the air is circulated.  

One of the ladies has not been on any cruise so this is a new experience for her.  It's probably a new experience for me, too, with COVID regulations keep changing.

Ruby is a nicer ship and more upscale all around. It would be an easy choice except for the inside cabin. That said, we’ll be sailing on the Miracle  in May. 

23 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

On the Carnival and Princess forums. Anyone who has been around this forum knows the bias.  It is what it is.

Disagree.  Bias is asking on the specific cruise line boards.  This is a general board; therefore, has a wider experience audience.  

If the majority discourage Carnival; that's a clue, not bias.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2022 at 4:26 PM, cruizergal70 said:

This forum is titled : “Carnival Miracle vs. Ruby Princess”. What is “wrong” about the forum?

And why is simply expressing a preference “bias”.

14 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Disagree.  Bias is asking on the specific cruise line boards.  This is a general board; therefore, has a wider experience audience.  

If the majority discourage Carnival; that's a clue, not bias.

Yet folks are not taking into account the OP's circumstances or the nature of the trip. That's a clear bias. Money seems to be a concern. Alaska is about scenery.  Seasoned passengers.  

I would go with the option where I could afford a balcony before I would spend 10 days in an inside cabin being forced to leave the cabin to see anything.

Edited by cruizergal70
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

Yet folks are not taking into account the OP's circumstances or the nature of the trip. That's a clear bias. Money seems to be a concern. Alaska is about scenery.  Seasoned passengers.  

I would go with the option where I could afford a balcony before I would spend 10 days in an inside cabin being forced to leave the cabin to see anything.

Yes, it's about scenery, which is why I'd pick Glacier Bay. I've been on Alaska cruises three times on three different itineraries and Glacier Bay is the highlight for me, hands down.

On Alaska cruises I would not consider a balcony a "must have".  You get much better and broader views on deck or in one of the panoramic lounges. (What if the whales are on the other side of the ship??).

I've done an inside cabin and it was just fine. The other two times were in a balcony cabin, including an aft cabin and -- guess what -- we didn't use it that much either time.

Just FYI -- I took my DS to Alaska when he was 10-11 and we did Glacier Bay. Last August we did a spur of the moment cruise to Alaska just to get away and have our first vacation in two years. The itinerary did not include Glacier Bay and my son was very underwhelmed with the "replacement" cruising day. It was more brown grass and dirt than white glaciers...

Finally, while scenery is key, the ship is also important. On the cruise mentioned above, we really enjoyed being back on a cruise ship after a long absence and the sea days were equally important to us, so the ship experience shouldn't be completely discounted.

• Like 1

I always choose Princess, but am not opposed to Carnival especially if it's the itinerary I want at a price I can afford.

But, IMO there are other things you should be thinking about as well.  First, inside cabins on Princess do not have sofabeds.  Which means that one of the ladies will have to sleep on an upper bunk.  My 2 sisters and I have done this twice.  The bed sleeps fine but getting up and down is problematic if you're older, and we are.  On the second cruise we ended up taking the mattress off the bunk and putting it on the floor every night.  Better, but still........getting off the floor is almost as hard as climbing up and down that ladder.  Probably won't be doing that again.

I don't know what accomations for a 3rd person are like in a Carnival balcony room.  But, I think a sofa bed is preferable to a bunk bed.  So that would be one of my considerations.

Secondly is the length.  If the cruise is 10 days I'm assuming you're cruising out of San Francisco.  On the 10 day there will be at least 3 sea days.  Which ship you take becomes more important when you have several sea days in a row.  Have you thought about a 7 day out of Seattle?  Shorter means less expensive.  Possibley cheaper enough to allow flying to Seattle?  Something to think about. 

And finally are your dates.  The cruise price is less at the very beginning and the very end of the season.  Think May or September.  July and August are the highest.  So, if your willing and/or able to change your dates you could possibly get better deals.

This is a tough one for me. Generally, I recommend Princess over Carnival, but…

As mentioned, standard rooms on Princess are tiny. They don’t have sofas like other lines. I also think Ruby is a dated and crowded ship. I do not like that class of ships. However, the quality of the line is a step up from Carnival. 

Miracle is the only class of ships I like with Carnival. That’s said, man is it ugly. The color scheme is awful. The overall atmosphere on board does tend to favor partying. But you will be much more comfortable in that balcony room. 

As others mentioned, Glacier Bay is special. Tracy Arm is beautiful too but having been to both, GB is better. 

My first recommendation is to keep shopping. But if it has to be one of these two, I think I would lean toward Ruby. But only slightly!

1 hour ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Miracle is the only class of ships I like with Carnival. That’s said, man is it ugly. The color scheme is awful

Remember that the Miracle, the sister ships of her Class, and the ones that preceded that Class had interiors designed by Joe Farcus.  His designs were designed to compliment the advertising of "The Fun Ships" slogan for Carnival Cruise Lines.  Even when the Spirit Class ships were new, there were those guests who found the colors/art to be objectionable.  Carnival Freedom was my first Carnival cruise ship on which I sailed.  Farcus' touch was still at work, I think.  The decor was most different than what I had experienced.  But, so what?  I didn't sail on Freedom or Miracle for the decor.  But, the unusual decor does remain in my memory about those cruises, but, not in a negative way.  

48 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Remember that the Miracle, the sister ships of her Class, and the ones that preceded that Class had interiors designed by Joe Farcus.  His designs were designed to compliment the advertising of "The Fun Ships" slogan for Carnival Cruise Lines.  Even when the Spirit Class ships were new, there were those guests who found the colors/art to be objectionable.  Carnival Freedom was my first Carnival cruise ship on which I sailed.  Farcus' touch was still at work, I think.  The decor was most different than what I had experienced.  But, so what?  I didn't sail on Freedom or Miracle for the decor.  But, the unusual decor does remain in my memory about those cruises, but, not in a negative way.  

The Farcus designs certainly are unforgettable. But like you, the jarring decor won’t stop me from sailing on the Miracle. Can’t wait to have a second ship home ported in SF. 

• Like 1

I believe the "french door" cabins on the Miracle no longer open for air. I switched us to obstructed balconies one deck up for our LA-Alaska cruise in September 2023. Princess no longer sails from LA/San Pedro to Alaska, so they lost my business after having our Golden Princess R/T cancelled by the pandemic.

As a public service announcement: if you need air you should go out on your balcony and shut the door. If you leave the door open even a little you will upset the climate control not just for your cabin but for the areas all around you.

I will say, also, that Carnival's Vacation Planner did NOT alert me that I was booking a non-refundable deposit fare, which my Holland American PCC would and has many times. Hoping by late 2023 that it won't be an issue.