Embarkation: can you drop off your luggage in your stateroom if the rooms aren't ready?

Recent cruisers:    does anyone have any knowledge of being able to drop off your luggage in your stateroom before the announcement is made that the staterooms are  ready?  

I'm pretty sure the rooms won't be ready when we board the Jewel next week but I'd love to be able to drop off our luggage in our room (just leave the luggage inside the door and go).   

Edited by kokopelli-az

7 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Until the rooms are announced to be ready (around 1400) you will be unable to access the hotel corridors. 

That was the case pre-pandemic for sure (although often 1 PM). However, on 3 of 4 cruises I've taken since restart, rooms were ready before noon as part of not having to distribute keys at check-in. In all three cases, ship had just disembarked passengers, but at reduced capacity. Disclaimer: I'm stating experiences on cruise lines other than Royal, but one was Celebrity.

We never...ever...never disturb the over worked cabin attendants by doing that, (turn around day is very stressful and busy for them).  There is a reason they close those heavy fire doors to the cabin hallway areas off from pax before the cabins are ready.   They don't want or need us cruising through the hallway with our luggage before the announced opening of cabins. 

We have no problem checking our main luggage with the porters, then boarding the ship with light rolling carry on bags.  Find a nice lounge or seating area to wait, or simply walk around the decks to check the ship out.  Lunch somewhere if you get on that early is nice as well.  When they announce access, or open those doors up...then we proceed to our cabin...and only then.    

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Checking in all the luggage and utilizing a small back pack is great advice.  Much easier than lugging around and keeping up with luggage.  Board, go get a Kummelweck and relax.  If the room isn’t done after the Kummelweck go up and eat a couple ice cream cones!  

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

That was the case pre-pandemic for sure (although often 1 PM). However, on 3 of 4 cruises I've taken since restart, rooms were ready before noon as part of not having to distribute keys at check-in. In all three cases, ship had just disembarked passengers, but at reduced capacity. Disclaimer: I'm stating experiences on cruise lines other than Royal, but one was Celebrity.

I appreciate your input, however it doesn't really apply to someone inquiring specifically to Royal Caribbean. 

4 cruises since the restart, from 3 different embarkation points, at varying levels of occupancy-rooms never ready before 1345-1400.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Checking in all the luggage and utilizing a small back pack is great advice.  Much easier than lugging around and keeping up with luggage.  Board, go get a Kummelweck and relax.  If the room isn’t done after the Kummelweck go up and eat a couple ice cream cones!  

As always...you are a wealth of perfectly responsible information!   🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On all the ones I've been on since the restart (5) across different lines the rooms are open announcement came at the same time as before. However in walking around sometimes I've noticed the doors opened before the announcement, but it was not universal...a floor by floor basis. Like deck 6 was open but 7 was not. But I had seen that happen before. 

I wouldn't count on them being open before the 1-2pm time frame.

4 hours ago, publicpersona said:

I'm stating experiences on cruise lines other than Royal, but one was Celebrity.

Celebrity allows passengers to drop off bags in the rooms on Revolutionized ships. Not on the ones that did not go through that renovation. Never been able to drop off bags early on other cruise lines and i have been on most of them. The worst was Oceania. Could not access the room until 3:00 as a brand new Oceania cruiser. 

4 hours ago, kokopelli-az said:

We will check our largest bag with the porters but we will have a couple of other smaller ones that we will have with us.  

Hit and miss. We have opened the hallway doors and walked to the cabin and put our carry ons into the closet.  A short 5 cabin walk has been successful, walking down the hallway for a hundred feet or so and I have been told to go back. Last trip on Navigator I walked about 5 cabins in and dropped off carry ons and never saw anyone. 

8 minutes ago, kdog3ss said:

On our last cruise, Celebrity 3 years ago, we had to go to our cabin to get our plastic sea passes. If RCL doesn't allow going to the cabin early, when do you get the sea passes?

When they open the hallway door - 1:00 to 1:30.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, island lady said:

As always...you are a wealth of perfectly responsible information!   🙂 

Speaking of perfectly responsible information, my first SS is pending.  I will get it on my birthday! 😊 

• Like 2