Managing Motion Sickness

scokely

I've got a Northern Europe cruise coming up and am currently working on my seasickness prevention plan. I tend to only have a problem when things are pretty rocky, which has been the first day of my last few cruises. After that the occasional ginger candy or mint tea does the trick. My doctor gave me a prescription for Scopolamine patches and Meclizine. I've taken the Meclizine before, but since it makes me a little drowsy, I'd rather not take it if I don't have to.

For those that have some motion sickness, do you find it goes away after your body gets used to the ship's movement, or does it stay present as long as there is motion? 

I also ended up getting a cabin more forward (relatively low deck) instead of my usual low, mid-ship. I'll be on Holland America's Rotterdam, should I expect a great amount more motion here?

Trigger  -warning this is graphic... 

I get seasick on a lake.   I avoided cruising  for years because of this . I get so sick  that when hanging over the side in Southern Chile once I really wondered about just jumping and dying quickly. Not suicidal just a better option at the time. I don't feel a little off- I   feel really really awful, I sweat, then I throw up and keep on doing so for about 12 hours. Its not exactly fun. 

But over lockdown in NZ we go a good deal on small (50pax) Russian ice-strengthened ship (rolls like a tub because of the heavy plate on the hull) to go to south of NZ (there is no land to stop the waves - they just go around the globe). Always wanted to the sea the  Snares - was so bored decided to take the risk. 

Mint, ginger, green apples do nothing for me. I don't believe in fairies so neither do the acupuncture bands. The mescaline can have some affect sometimes, but makes me very, very sleepy. 

Scopolamine - OMG total and complete game changer - could not believe it!  Still threw up but it removed the nausea - and the nausea is what is bad. And after the first rough night I was good from then on. 

Put it on before you sale (and they are fiddly to put on)  - they last  for 72 hours - and after that I was actually fine.  They  made me a little sleepy but it was nothing like the Meclizine.   And I could be like a normal human - we spent hours in zodiacs bouncing around on the waves. I could sit and look at screens in lectures, I could read, I could eat - and the dining room was forward. This was a ship where you literally had to brace and time your run if you had to let go of a handhold. 

The ship's dr was also prone to seasickness. He said he never goes on a boar without the patch. He said he gave out the patches to at least 1/2 the pax when we hit the open ocean - but they don't work as well if you don't put them on about 12 hours prior.  He also said you can also still use Meclizine and the other remedies. 

The only downside to the patch is that  because you no longer get the nausea and sweating you have little warning when you do actually throw up.  He said you'll notice your mouth suddenly has a lot of saliva just before - he was right - and  I had to run! 

I will never take a day trip on a boat again without the patches they are completely life-changing for me. 

Edited by lissie
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, scokely said:

I also ended up getting a cabin more forward (relatively low deck) instead of my usual low, mid-ship. I'll be on Holland America's Rotterdam, should I expect a great amount more motion here?

Yes.  The further forward is where you will feel the most up and down motion.  It will be mitigated somewhat by a lower deck but will still be the location most prone to that on the ship.  Side to side rolling motion will be the same anywhere on the ship. but that is the motion the ship stabilizers work to reduce.

I would see if your more usual mid ship lower deck stateroom might be available to move to if possible.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I am slightly prone to seasickness and I find that my orientation on the ship can cause it.  On our first cruise our beds had the heads against the outer wall.  If we sat in our beds and read, we got nauseated.  Change position, and we are better.  Face forward or aft.  Also going out of cabin to public places sometimes helps.  Sea bands work wonders for us.  EM

• Like 1

The patches were great for me until I had an allergic reaction.  I am reliant on Meclizine 2x a day.  I do think most of those who find success on nonmedical treatments, just find their sealegs or were just experiencing nausea for other reasons, most commonly travel constipation and dehydration.  The Meclizine barely works for me but hey, cruising is worth it

57 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The patches were great for me until I had an allergic reaction.  I am reliant on Meclizine 2x a day.  I do think most of those who find success on nonmedical treatments, just find their sealegs or were just experiencing nausea for other reasons, most commonly travel constipation and dehydration.  The Meclizine barely works for me but hey, cruising is worth it

That's very true -  I'm doing a 36 day cruise in July - I  am hoping that by the time we get to the rough bit 1/2 way through - I'll be OK without patches 

On every ship I worked on the bunks were fore and aft your head forward. Our ships were generally trimmed by the stern so your head was a teeny bit higher than your feet. Very off putting if we had to trim by the head!

How far forward? How long is the ship? The vertical movement will depend on how far you are from the centre of gravity .... simple levers. Don't overthink it.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, lissie said:

Trigger  -warning this is graphic... 

I get seasick on a lake.   I avoided cruising  for years because of this . I get so sick  that when hanging over the side in Southern Chile once I really wondered about just jumping and dying quickly. Not suicidal just a better option at the time. I don't feel a little off- I   feel really really awful, I sweat, then I throw up and keep on doing so for about 12 hours. Its not exactly fun. 

But over lockdown in NZ we go a good deal on small (50pax) Russian ice-strengthened ship (rolls like a tub because of the heavy plate on the hull) to go to south of NZ (there is no land to stop the waves - they just go around the globe). Always wanted to the sea the  Snares - was so bored decided to take the risk. 

Mint, ginger, green apples do nothing for me. I don't believe in fairies so neither do the acupuncture bands. The mescaline can have some affect sometimes, but makes me very, very sleepy. 

Scopolamine - OMG total and complete game changer - could not believe it!  Still threw up but it removed the nausea - and the nausea is what is bad. And after the first rough night I was good from then on. 

Put it on before you sale (and they are fiddly to put on)  - they last  for 72 hours - and after that I was actually fine.  They  made me a little sleepy but it was nothing like the Meclizine.   And I could be like a normal human - we spent hours in zodiacs bouncing around on the waves. I could sit and look at screens in lectures, I could read, I could eat - and the dining room was forward. This was a ship where you literally had to brace and time your run if you had to let go of a handhold. 

The ship's dr was also prone to seasickness. He said he never goes on a boar without the patch. He said he gave out the patches to at least 1/2 the pax when we hit the open ocean - but they don't work as well if you don't put them on about 12 hours prior.  He also said you can also still use Meclizine and the other remedies. 

The only downside to the patch is that  because you no longer get the nausea and sweating you have little warning when you do actually throw up.  He said you'll notice your mouth suddenly has a lot of saliva just before - he was right - and  I had to run! 

I will never take a day trip on a boat again without the patches they are completely life-changing for me. 

Wow! I'm so glad the patches have worked well for you, and I definitely appreciate the warning on surprise vomiting! 

I'm told to first 1-2 days of our schedule is the most rough, so maybe I'll use the patches for that part and then be good to go for the rest. 

Unfortunately all the mid-ship cabins were pretty booked up by the time we got in. Luckily we have a balcony and I definitely do better with fresh air. 

• Like 1

I guess my wife and I are among the few who enjoy the ship motion.  I like the way it makes you realize you are at sea and it always adds a nice motion to sleep with.  Not talking stormy weather (although we don't get sick by that either) just the normal wave motion.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I guess my wife and I are among the few who enjoy the ship motion.  I like the way it makes you realize you are at sea and it always adds a nice motion to sleep with.  Not talking stormy weather (although we don't get sick by that either) just the normal wave motion.  

I still like the motion.  The regular ship motion rarely affects me but it can be the flights, water shuttles or strong motion.  It can just spring up like when I went on the water slide, got turned backwards and had to deep breathe until I could get off the slide so I stay on meds from the day before until I get home. 

I get incredibly seasick even when the ship is in port and not sailing!  What works for me is wearing the acupressure wristbands and taking seasickness medication every 12 hours for the entire duration of the cruise.  I also avoid fried food and sip on ginger ale with bitters.  On NCL they have free seasickness tablets at the first services desk and I just go there on day one and ask for enough for the whole cruise.

On 3/30/2022 at 2:50 AM, scokely said:

I've got a Northern Europe cruise coming up and am currently working on my seasickness prevention plan. I tend to only have a problem when things are pretty rocky, which has been the first day of my last few cruises. After that the occasional ginger candy or mint tea does the trick. My doctor gave me a prescription for Scopolamine patches and Meclizine. I've taken the Meclizine before, but since it makes me a little drowsy, I'd rather not take it if I don't have to.

For those that have some motion sickness, do you find it goes away after your body gets used to the ship's movement, or does it stay present as long as there is motion? 

I have tried everything .The only two things that helped were Bonine and an injection that the ships doctor gave on my very first cruise.

If your northern Europe cruise goes via or from the UK go to boots chemist buy stugeron tablets, take 2 at 2hrs before you sail then 1 every day at approx same time and you'll not feel a thing and not drowsy. 

I can be sick on a simulator in Disney or a big dipper fair ride so was super apprehensive about going cruising. Lovely lady on a ferry from naples to capri put me onto the stugeron as I was green at the gills. Lol 😆 

On 3/31/2022 at 6:00 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

We also enjoy the motion of the ocean. Very nice for sleeping. 

• Like 2

On 3/30/2022 at 5:50 PM, scokely said:

My wife swears by green apples and almost any form of ginger for seasickness. Drinks Ginger tea, sucks ginger candy, she used to suffer badly, no longer the case.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 12:06 AM, GUT2407 said:

My wife swears by green apples

and almost any form of ginger for seasickness.

Drinks Ginger tea, sucks ginger candy,

she used to suffer badly, no longer the case.

I take a six-pack of Canada Dry ginger ale

stick it in the fridge, and sip that any time I feel thirsty.

I also take along some ginger snaps / ginger cookies and nibble them too.

Ginger Anything seems to work for many people.

The U.S.Navy hands out green apples when she starts rockin...

5 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

That's news to me and I spent 21 years in the U.S. Navy.   lol

It's an urban myth? that's been around a long time.

Thanks for your input. I believe you more than the myth

- given your 21 solid years.

I also get very seasick.  Friends in the UK recommended Stugeron and it really works for me.  Unfortunately, it is not sold in Canada or the United States.  If you do have a stop in the UK, you can go to a pharmacy and ask the pharmacist for it.  It is not prescription, but you have to ask for it.  Generally they will only sell you 2 packages (15 pills in a pack - good for 8 hours a pill).

This is the only med that consistently works for me and it does not make me sleepy.

I always use everything to prevent feeling seasick - sea bands, ginger pills, ginger candy, gingerale, and bonine or dramamine if I don't have Stugeron.  

I hope you are all right on the cruise.  Sometimes I do get very used to the motion on the ship.  I hope you will too.

• 3 weeks later...

I get motion sickness  in back seats on cars, on boats, in planes. You name it. I wear bands, acupuncture seeds, eat ginger candy  and take dramamine starting  the day before I fly or get on a ship. The scopolamine patch gave me double vision and was pretty awful. 

B4 you use 'the patch' for the first time I HIGHLY recommend a 'dry run' at home as they can have severe side effects. My father had never used them and one cruise things got a lil bumpy the first night so he put one on and he remembers little from the remainder of the night .... altho others kept taking of his being the life of the party (usually far from it) and according to my mother he got out of bed in the middle of the night and went 'exploring' <she did nothing ..... :classic_wacko:> ... Be especially careful with alcohol ..... 

If you use the patch be aware they can make your vision fuzzy - I had one after surgery and couldn't read my phone (or prescription bottle labels!). Also, DO NOT put on or remove with bare hands, use a glove. If you get the medication on your fingers and then rub it in your eye it's not fun! When I had mine the nurse sent me home with gloves and strict instructions to use while removing.

On 3/30/2022 at 2:50 AM, scokely said:

I'm not predisposed to motion sickness however my wife is. It does go away for her. On our last cruise she went down for the count when we hit weather that was mildly rough. Later on the voyage she wasn't affected by weather that I thought was rougher than the first go round.