Does "Up to Date" vaccination now include the second Booster?

RGEDad

The pre-cruise testing is available 3 days prior to boarding for those who are "Up to Date" with thier COVID vaccinations. With the recently approved second booster for those over 50, does one now need that second booster to be considered "Up to Date" and hence eligible to be tested 3 days before boarding instead of the two day requirement?

I just made the appointment for our testing on Thursday before our Sunday boarding, but cogitating if I should move it to Friday just to be sure. DW is not feeling so well just now and wants to defer any vaccinations just now. HAL recommends boosters be 7 days before a cruise (not written as a requirement, just a recommendation - I think)

33 minutes ago, RGEDad said:

The pre-cruise testing is available 3 days prior to boarding for those who are "Up to Date" with thier COVID vaccinations. With the recently approved second booster for those over 50, does one now need that second booster to be considered "Up to Date" and hence eligible to be tested 3 days before boarding instead of the two day requirement?

I just made the appointment for our testing on Thursday before our Sunday boarding, but cogitating if I should move it to Friday just to be sure. DW is not feeling so well just now and wants to defer any vaccinations just now. HAL recommends boosters be 7 days before a cruise (not written as a requirement, just a recommendation - I think)

The CDC site states that "up to date" means the first booster (if you're eligible).  It doesn't mean a 2nd booster at this time.  

Sue/WDW1972

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

The CDC site states that "up to date" means the first booster (if you're eligible).  It doesn't mean a 2nd booster at this time.  

Sue/WDW1972

Thanks for posting this.  This is something that I did not know.  

In my opinion, "up to date" ought to mean for those who are eligible for the second booster have received that second booster shot.  

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

In my opinion, "up to date" ought to mean for those who are eligible for the second booster have received that second booster shot.  

And the CDC will probably agree with you at some point - just  not "at this time" (to use their wording).  I think the subtle difference is the 2nd booster has been approved but it's not fully recommended.  Even for the over-65 crowd and those w/co-morbidities, the timing of a booster would be ideally right before a major surge.  We don't know exactly when that will be.  If you get it too early, you're not going to cause any harm to yourself, but you may not be getting any real benefit either.  

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Roz said:

Walgreen's in my area said it will be weeks or months before the 2nd booster is available. 

I have an appointment at Noon on Monday, April 4th, for my second booster at my local CVS.  

This is what the CDC says 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/stay-up-to-date.html?s_cid=11748:%2Bcdc %2Bdefinition %2Bof %2Bfully %2Bvaccinated:sem.b:p:RG:GM:gen:PTN:FY22

• Adults ages 50+ can choose to receive a second booster at least 4 months after their first booster

DH has a standing appointment Thursday, he will ask our personal physician for his advice

Edited by Mary229

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

Perhaps they are waiting for the second booster to be recommended for all adults.  Otherwise, there's yet another age tier... the youngest, children, perhaps teens, and then younger adults plus the older adults.  As the recommendations merge for all, then it would be so much easier administratively, including any enforcement.

We are older with some a few minor co-morbidities, but enough to have us seriously worried.

Our last cruise was Nov/Dec, 2019, and was our first with HAL:  Noordam from Auckland to Sydney, and it was one of our best ever.  🙂  

Alas, on the return home in mid/late December, I was carried off the airplane, and stayed in hospital on oxygen for 10 days.  They diagnosed a different respiratory virus, but given the timing, we'll always wonder "what else might I have had?" There were a couple of scary days...

So we are VERY "respectful" of Covid, no matter what variant, and especially worried about future variants.

Hopefully, we'll be back on HAL soon!

We LOVED Lincoln Center. We are passionate about classical music, and the quartet on our sailing was incredibly good, a wonderful surprise.

I would sometimes head down extra early, book in hand, to get two front row seats.  That performance space on Noordam isn't really the best for any size crowd, and there were often many people standing at the back,  crowded in.

We'll feel a lot more reassured when there are good treatments, and readily available for all.

Meanwhile, we have lots of photos and memories!

GC

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Roz said:

Walgreen's in my area said it will be weeks or months before the 2nd booster is available. 

Got my second booster at Walgreens on 4-1. I would question that if I was you a wanted one now. 

• Like 1

It varies by state/region.  There's not a compelling reason for me to get a booster right now.  Hopefully Kroger (where I got the 1st booster) will notify me when it's available.

• Like 2

I got the second booster yesterday. Scheduled online at CVS, plenty of spots were available. My insurance covered the cost. Right now the second booster shot is approved by FDA for certain groups, but it’s not at the recommended stage by CDC. I doubt HAL will require a second booster in order to be “up to date” until it’s recommended by CDC

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

That's what we thought, so we're scheduled for it in a week, we're not leaving anything up to chance when it comes to cruise lines.

37 minutes ago, Laminator said:

...... There is no way HAL would require a 2nd booster at this time. You think the ships are empty now.

Well, to be totally accurate, they're not "requiring" the first booster, but merely giving those of us who happen to be boosted an extra day for getting tested.  

We just got off a cruise a week ago and even though we're both boosted got tested two days before the cruise to avoid any possible misunderstandings once we got to the port.  In any case I'm sure that all the cruise lines will give plenty of notice before changing their definition of 'fully vaccinated'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, groundloop said:

Well, to be totally accurate, they're not "requiring" the first booster, but merely giving those of us who happen to be boosted an extra day for getting tested.  

We just got off a cruise a week ago and even though we're both boosted got tested two days before the cruise to avoid any possible misunderstandings once we got to the port.  In any case I'm sure that all the cruise lines will give plenty of notice before changing their definition of 'fully vaccinated'.

This is what is required for cruises departing from Europe. As you can see if your last shot was longer than 180 days ago a booster is required.
My booster shot was longer than 180 days ago. From what I can see depending on the country no test is required.

image.thumb.png.f91f9a989c5270dea3e15c4277ac5e26.png

Edited by Laminator
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am not sure if second boosters are widely available yet. I will have to check in our area as both DW and I are eligible.

I am not planning on getting the 2nd booster.  I had covid, I am vaccinated and boostered.  I had no issues with the first and second vaccine, but the booster triggered my vertigo (which I have not had any issues with vertigo for months) within 1 minute of getting the booster, vertigo was triggered.............not planning on getting the 2nd booster no matter what.  I don't sail til next year so I am hoping this will not be a requirement, if it is, I will cancel my cruise..........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, doone said:

I am not planning on getting the 2nd booster.  I had covid, I am vaccinated and boostered.  I had no issues with the first and second vaccine, but the booster triggered my vertigo (which I have not had any issues with vertigo for months) within 1 minute of getting the booster, vertigo was triggered.............not planning on getting the 2nd booster no matter what.  I don't sail til next year so I am hoping this will not be a requirement, if it is, I will cancel my cruise..........

I am in a similar situation, except for me it was developing Reynaud's Syndrome about 5 days after my booster.  I was fine for the first two shots, but this was weird.  This also occurred to a friend of mine (though mine was a finger and his was toes) about a day after his booster.

I may wait for Novavax (which is a more typical, protein based vaccine) to get final approval (which should be soon) and use that for any future boosters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Roz - my sister, her husband, my hubby and I have all gotten our second boosters in the past week or two at the CVSes in Williamson county.  Their website will tell you which store has which brand.

36 minutes ago, bmc alabama said:

I am in a similar situation, except for me it was developing Reynaud's Syndrome about 5 days after my booster.  I was fine for the first two shots, but this was weird.  This also occurred to a friend of mine (though mine was a finger and his was toes) about a day after his booster.

I may wait for Novavax (which is a more typical, protein based vaccine) to get final approval (which should be soon) and use that for any future boosters.

WSJ this very morning has an article about the controversial FDA approval of the "fourth booster" along the emerging issues of side effects, now including tinnitus and hearing problems.  As well as the continued suppression of FDA approval for the more natural forms of vaccination protection - Novavax and Covaxin. The full story to be continued.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Walfam said:

Roz - The sister I mentioned above got their 2nd boosters at Publix in Franklin.

(For some reason I cannot edit my original post #22 )

The editing function times out after about 10 minutes.

• Thanks 1