Receiving covid test kit from Celebrity at debark - so when do you take the test??

topsailgirl

I am sailing on June 3 out of Seward and will be disembarking in Vancouver and flying back to the US. I know that Canada does not require A test upon disembarkation. (I realize that there is a requirement before you get on the ship originally.) But the US does require one in order to fly. The following is what I found on the celebrity website where are they specifically address testing for our return home:

Re-Entry (to home country)

Please check your country's re-entry requirements for specific testing information. We will provide eMED Test Kits for purchase for all U.S. guests at debark to satisfy the U.S. re-entry test. eMED Test Kits have telehealth capabilities in order to leverage a quick and convenient home travel test. Any other nationalities, please check your country's re-entry requirements for specific testing information.

It sounds as though they are going to give you your test kit as you leave the ship. When (and where) are you supposed to take the test if you don’t get the test kit until you are leaving the ship and are taking a taxi to airport?  I have to have a negative test result to check in at the airport so I cannot figure out logistically how to use test kit between port and airport. 

I realize no one has done an Alaskan cruise yet, but perhaps this is the procedure on other sailings. So if anybody has any insight I’d appreciate it.

In Jim and Iain live post he just posed that they announced they had tests for sale at Guest Relations.   I believe the disembark tomorrow.   I would expect you would buy them they day before and could use the ships wifi to do it.   Might need the stream package or CC stream minutes.   It would be nice if they opened that site for free access.

I have the same question. The test kit supplied by Celebrity is not helpful if it is not give PRIOR to departure and if the wifi is not sufficient to support the 15 min video connection for the test. 

• Like 1

The question was asked on a TA call recently and really had no answer. Logistically everyone cannot bombard the iLounge nor would they want a bunch of used nasal swabs laying around all over the place. 

You would need a Stream package to do it in your cabin. Your best and most reliable  option would be to use your cell plan when you arrive back in port. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, topsailgirl said:

I am sailing on June 3 out of Seward and will be disembarking in Vancouver and flying back to the US. I know that Canada does not require A test upon disembarkation. (I realize that there is a requirement before you get on the ship originally.) But the US does require one in order to fly. The following is what I found on the celebrity website where are they specifically address testing for our return home:

Please check your country's re-entry requirements for specific testing information. We will provide eMED Test Kits for purchase for all U.S. guests at debark to satisfy the U.S. re-entry test. eMED Test Kits have telehealth capabilities in order to leverage a quick and convenient home travel test. Any other nationalities, please check your country's re-entry requirements for specific testing information.

It sounds as though they are going to give you your test kit as you leave the ship. When (and where) are you supposed to take the test if you don’t get the test kit until you are leaving the ship and are taking a taxi to airport?  I have to have a negative test result to check in at the airport so I cannot figure out logistically how to use test kit between port and airport. 

I realize no one has done an Alaskan cruise yet, but perhaps this is the procedure on other sailings. So if anybody has any insight I’d appreciate it.

I have the same concerns. I am going to bring my own emed on board (since they are not giving it out for free anyway). I will try using the ships internet on the day before disembarkation. I plan on buying one premium hour of wifi.  The alternative would be to do it early in the morning when we can get cellular service. I have a noon flight so no time to waste.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Peteymil said:

I have the same concerns. I am going to bring my own emed on board (since they are not giving it out for free anyway). I will try using the ships internet on the day before disembarkation. I plan on buying one premium hour of wifi.  The alternative would be to do it early in the morning when we can get cellular service. I have a noon flight so no time to waste.

Did something happen to the prior policy?  Or maybe you booked after 11/21?

All fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the opportunity to receive testing in the cruise port during disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. Details on testing registration will be provided onboard. Testing will be complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked prior to November 16, 2021.

What I quoted about receiving the test at disembarkation came from a New section of the healthy at Sea on celebrity website. It was specifically under a section about Alaska cruises, not in the general info section.

1 hour ago, topsailgirl said:

What I quoted about receiving the test at disembarkation came from a New section of the healthy at Sea on celebrity website. It was specifically under a section about Alaska cruises, not in the general info section.

We debark in Vancouver on a Pacific Coastal on 5/13/22 and we are not sure how things will be handled.  We’re taking Binax proctored tests with us just in case.

Taking the proctored tests with you seems like a great idea.  I just worry about internet access/strength on the day before when we are cruising the inside passage and when other people are also trying to accessing the internet. I was hoping that Celebrity would offer testing on board. Or else offer rapid testing at the dock when we arrive in Vancouver.  I really don’t care about whether I have to pay for it or not (not that I am cavalier about money I just don’t want to get stuck in Vancouver and be unable to get home) I just want to get it done! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, topsailgirl said:

Taking the proctored tests with you seems like a great idea.  I just worry about internet access/strength on the day before when we are cruising the inside passage and when other people are also trying to accessing the internet. I was hoping that Celebrity would offer testing on board. Or else offer rapid testing at the dock when we arrive in Vancouver.  I really don’t care about whether I have to pay for it or not (not that I am cavalier about money I just don’t want to get stuck in Vancouver and be unable to get home) I just want to get it done! 

Totally agree about the internet as well as not wanting to get stuck in Vancouver.  We should be able to use cell phone service if all else fails.  Our last port is Victoria the day before we debark in Vancouver.  I would also worry about even the streaming service onboard if it was a sea day and many people were online for even the 20 min or so to do the test.  

6 hours ago, twincheryl said:

All fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the opportunity to receive testing in the cruise port during disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. Details on testing registration will be provided onboard. Testing will be complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked prior to November 16, 2021.

Booked after 11/21

5 hours ago, BigTorino said:

This eMed kit info is on the website for Southampton departures too. I am wondering the same. What will be the cost for an eMed kit purchase?

They have been selling for$25 but for awhile you would have to purchase them as a package of 6 for $150. I would always suggest having an extra one just in case. 

Is the requirement really 24 hours after disembark or is it the one day requirement?  I booked prior to Nov 16.

if I disembark may 26 at 9 am and fly May 27 from Amsterdam at 10 am, will. Celebrity give me the emed kit at no charge

On 4/19/2022 at 5:31 AM, topsailgirl said:

The kits are usually given out on the last full day of your cruise.  Relax.  If all else fails just get tested at the airport.

55 minutes ago, Gotalia said:

Is the requirement really 24 hours after disembark or is it the one day requirement?  I booked prior to Nov 16.

if I disembark may 26 at 9 am and fly May 27 from Amsterdam at 10 am, will. Celebrity give me the emed kit at no charge

You are asking what will happen at the end of May.  No way to tell.  There might or might not be testing.  If you booked you own flight . . . . 

• 3 weeks later...

Just got off Reflection from repositioning cruise. They distribute the test kits where you pickup the luggage in the terminal. You can take the tests days after picking them up too. We had 2 EMED test kits. We did from hotel with high speed internet. Experience was horrible. On test had issues, We had to work with Tech support for 6 hours to get them to fix and send results. The experience was horrible. They advertised that we could take in a taxi on way to an airport. right ... I would never take one of these kits where a tech monitors you over internet. Tech leaves after watching you swab and then comes back, in theory, in 15 minutes. Our connection interrupted. If they dont verify results in 30 minutes or less, they say result invalid. I had to escalate and wait for "level 3" support to "fix". 

Lets address the elephant in the room. The bottom line is the cruise line by not testing onboard doesn't want to know who is positive prior to disembarkation.  By giving passengers the test kit in the luggage pickup area, you are not their problem any longer as your are off the ship.  Anyone that needs a test to board a plane home needs to balance the risks involved if you are stuck in a foreign Country and have to "quarantine" at your expense until you test negative.  Options, you can take your own test kit with you and complete the test on the ship before disembarkation.  If positive, there are now options to stay on the ship and quarantine into the next cruise if you wish to inform the medical facilities that you are not feeling well and triggering them to test you.  Otherwise you can't expect support if you depart the ship on disembarkation knowing you are positive.  Anyone that needs a Negative Test to Board a plane home needs to know and evaluate the financial and personal risks of being stuck in limbo without any outside support.  Is your vacation worth the possible consequences? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Searanger said:

Lets address the elephant in the room. The bottom line is the cruise line by not testing onboard doesn't want to know who is positive prior to disembarkation.  By giving passengers the test kit in the luggage pickup area, you are not their problem any longer as your are off the ship.  Anyone that needs a test to board a plane home needs to balance the risks involved if you are stuck in a foreign Country and have to "quarantine" at your expense until you test negative.  Options, you can take your own test kit with you and complete the test on the ship before disembarkation.  If positive, there are now options to stay on the ship and quarantine into the next cruise if you wish to inform the medical facilities that you are not feeling well and triggering them to test you.  Otherwise you can't expect support if you depart the ship on disembarkation knowing you are positive.  Anyone that needs a Negative Test to Board a plane home needs to know and evaluate the financial and personal risks of being stuck in limbo without any outside support.  Is your vacation worth the possible consequences? 

Yeah, I get all that. There is no elephant in the room....the question is, "how do we test after disembarking if we are going directly to the airport for a flight to the good ole USA?" As was mentioned earlier, I guess Celebrity just doesn't give a darn what happens the minute you leave the ship......except my travel and that of my family has not ended and we still need a test. I hope by now all involved fully understand the "crap shoot" of testing positive anywhere along the line, that's been understood by me for a long time and not a question. Testing "in the cab" is NOT an option, it should be done onboard, although with Celebrity's spotty onboard internet service, not sure how a video test can be done.

• Like 1

For our upcoming August Alaska cruise from Vancouver, we plan to bring a 6 pack of monitored tests from eMed. Then we will try to test the night before the cruise ends with our laptop.

If that does not work, we will try again the next morning, once the ship is in port, using our cell phone hot spot to provide Internet to the laptop, while still on the ship.

The website ThePointsGuy dot com has several articles detailing different test options and what to expect using each one.

We plan to bring test kits with us in our carry on luggage instead of in checked luggage to reduce risk of exposing them to lower temperatures in airplane cargo hold.

BTW, from what other people have experienced, if one has password issues accessing the app, close the app and try again and bring more than one test kit per person in cause there is a defect or other issue with a test kit.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2022 at 3:03 PM, twincheryl said:

Yes, something did happen, the current policy no longer states that. I’m not sure if anyone knows if they will still honor that but I’m expecting they won’t. We are on a cruise next month that was booked prior to that date but I’m expecting they will charge for the test they provide. That’s why I’ve ordered tests to take with us.

3 hours ago, Searanger said:

Preach it!  Especially the parts I bolded.

The truth is none of the cruise lines want to test passengers disembarking.  They want you off the ship ASAP!  They don't want to take responsibility for a + customer if they really don't have to.  Celebrity wants to get away with giving passengers self-tests and saying "good luck" while kicking them out the door instead of testing the night before on the ship or on disembarkation day in the terminal area.  Should we let them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackshirt said:

Yes, something did happen, the current policy no longer states that. I’m not sure if anyone knows if they will still honor that but I’m expecting they won’t. We are on a cruise next month that was booked prior to that date but I’m expecting they will charge for the test they provide. That’s why I’ve ordered tests to take with us.

LOL...If reminded I'm sure they will honor the free testing if you booked earlier then 11/21.  So that means they will hand you a E-Test in the luggage area and won't charge you the $55.00.

• Haha 1