Travel agent mistake

lbfluffy

I booked an Alaska cruise for June19th on the Discovery through a travel agent..She does not book air so I booked EZ air through Princess. I paid my cruise in full a month ago. Last week I emailed her to ask her how much the sundeck would be if we changed to that. I did not request her to change it. I just wanted to know pricing. A day later I received an email from her saying she booked me in a cabin on the sundeck and I would have to pay $534 more. I emailed her back and told her I did not want thar cabin if it was that high. I just wanted pricing and to keep me in my original cabin. She emailed me back and said after being on hold for over four hours she was able to switch me back to my original cabin and have them put me in at my original price.  I guess they had to rebook it. Friday afternoon I received a notification that my airfare was canceled. I emailed her and asked her about that and she said she was not sure because she does not deal with air. After being on hold on Friday for six hours we were able to talk to the after air department and she put us back onto a different flight and a different airport. That was fine. She said because she was emergency air she is unable to confirm it but at least she could hold it and the customer relations will get back to us the following day.  I ended up calling myself on Saturday and the rep was able to confirm the air. I got an email stating flights were set. Princess sent our agent an email as well. However I received an email from my agent saying we owe more money. I explained to her that it was her fault because she  switched me to a cabin that I never agreed on. I just wanted prices. So because she did that she did not notice that Princess  had dropped the air. My agent is saying it is Princess fault and Princess is saying it is the agents fault I really don’t care whose fault it is. I don’t want to pay more. Personally I feel my agent should never have booked me on the sundeck when I said I just wanted to know how much. So right now I am just waiting. Stressful . 

I thought I’d share this and get experienced cruisers opinion. I’ve only used EZ once. It was great. I used EZ air because we are flying in the day of our cruise. 

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

Experienced Princess TAs should know if air and anything else like excursions would get dropped if you asked for a different cabin.  In other words they will know if they can reprice it or if it gets treated like a new booking.  Not sure what your recourse may be because I'm not an agent but have a fantastic one who gives me the pros and cons of making any changes in my bookings.  But if you have something clear in writing to your TA about your expectations it might be worth fighting.

• Like 2

If a change to your booking requires a new booking number, then all reservations and purchases made with the original booking number are cancelled. Paid for items such as shore excursions are refunded.

This was an unintended consequence of the erroneous change the OP's TA made.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, leck57 said:

Your Travel Agent doesn't do air? Huh, say again.

Get rid of that agent.

Agree. I know mine does as it is helpful to me as a customer. I do not believe he receives a commission for the EZ airfare. but he does it as a part of his customer service.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Agree. I know mine does as it is helpful to me as a customer. I do not believe he receives a commission for the EZ airfare. but he does it as a part of his customer service.

Airlines stopped paying commission a long time ago on air.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Moondogy said:

@lbfluffy Have you tried talking to your TA's manager?? The TA imho was in the wrong and you should not be responsible. I know if it happened to me I'd be raising H E double toothpicks with them from the TA's boss and on up 🤣

She is the owner.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

My best advice to you is get a new agent. 
Tony

Already have for upcoming cruises. I now have a Princess rep. She’s the best. I’m stuck with this one since I’m in penalty phase. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, lbfluffy said:

Already have for upcoming cruises. I now have a Princess rep. She’s the best. I’m stuck with this one since I’m in penalty phase. 

Glad that you found someone you like better. 🙂

Whenever I want to check pricing I search on the Princess website like I’m making a new reservation before contacting my TA if considering making any changes. 

• Like 4

Depending on the additional amount you need to pay, you can take your agent to small claims court.  If the facts are as you stated, you would most likely win.  No doubt her agency has errors and omissions insurance. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Glad that you found someone you like better. 🙂

Whenever I want to check pricing I search on the Princess website like I’m making a new reservation before contacting my TA if considering making any changes. 

Totally agree.  I have everything worked out down to the new booking promo code and know my numbers before every approaching TA for a change.  I don't need TA to tell me about the change(s) as I already know them and what I am gaining/losing.

• Like 2

If she's the owner, there's really no one above her you can talk to. Could you have her talk to Princess and try to get your original price back? Could you talk to Princess in light of your TA's errors?  I'm not sure it would be worth taking her to small claims court. I would just chalk it up to an unfortunate mistake and stick with your new agent.

• Like 1

All I know right now is she has emailed Princess customer relations. Her email is pointing to Princess for making the error. I’ve been waiting two days. She told me if she lived in California, she would go to their office personally, 

As for wanting information on the sun deck cabin, I knew it would be more, but I know she would be lower than the listed price. I got a great deal on this cruise. However the stress dealing with is not worth it. Nothing I can do now.

• Like 2

Similar happened to me. I made final payment and then a couple of weeks later while looking at my paperwork, I noticed that my insurance was gone.

TA said, "OOPs, can't do anything. Check out insurance prices online". Expensive...that's why I use Princess Platinum.

Emailed the agent, "THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!!"

She emailed back that she spent hours on hold and finally got my insurance back.

So, good for her...she's still so fired.

• Like 3

Well my TA got back to us. We have to pay an additional $209 or our air could be cancelled. She says it was Princess fault. My husband called EZ air. He spoke to a very nice lady. She said we must pay the $209 but she will file a grievance for us. She said it was our TA that canceled it. I’m a bit ticked off. It’s done. I have to let it go. Worst things happening now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, lbfluffy said:

Well my TA got back to us. We have to pay an additional $209 or our air could be cancelled. She says it was Princess fault. My husband called EZ air. He spoke to a very nice lady. She said we must pay the $209 but she will file a grievance for us. She said it was our TA that canceled it. I’m a bit ticked off. It’s done. I have to let it go. Worst things happening now. 

If the TA wants to keep your business, he or she should provide you with either a discount for that much or the equivalent in OBC. Blaming Princess is not good customer relations; Princess filing a grievance for you is at least seeing your side in this problem.

• Like 2

@lbfluffyYikes! I have a business associate who would do similar things. I would just ask “what if XYZ” and he would go ahead and change things even though I was merely inquiring! Reading comprehension is not his strong suit.

Glad you have another TA for the future. I hope somehow it all works out to your liking, and that the fare increase is made right. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

Sorry this happened to you.  But making a cabin change does not cancel air.  Sounds like she canceled the whole booking and rebooked you.   If she is new or doesn't know how to do cabin changes I guess this could happen.    But very strange.   I would ask her if she has errors and omissions insurance.  She should cover the mistake.   

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, JJ2sail said:

Sorry this happened to you.  But making a cabin change does not cancel air.  Sounds like she canceled the whole booking and rebooked you.   If she is new or doesn't know how to do cabin changes I guess this could happen.    But very strange.   I would ask her if she has errors and omissions insurance.  She should cover the mistake.   

Based on the OP's postings, she was expecting a higher cost.  I think it is pretty obvious the possible new cabin was a different Category.  You can't just change the cabin assignment if there is a change in Category.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Based on the OP's postings, she was expecting a higher cost.  I think it is pretty obvious the possible new cabin was a different Category.  You can't just change the cabin assignment if there is a change in Category.

My CVP has done this within a type of cabin. For example S6 to an S4 suite, a regular mini to a Club class mini or a BD balcony to a BE balcony are the most recent that come to mind easily. Same booking number no changes to perks. 

• Like 1