Snacks……. Available in shops?

5 hours ago, MichFish said:

Do the in board shops sell things like candy bars and bags of chips?

we will be on the Radiance if that matters.  

Thanks!

Yes, you can usually find Pringles, Hershey bars, M&Ms, snickers, mints but haven't found gum. Maybe gum is intentionally not stocked.

• Like 1

We’ve never needed snacks.  Take cookies from buffet if needed.  You can time it good to truly never be hungry.  A snack before buffet closes or a slice of pizza etc.  We do take a few packaged snacks in our suitcase for port stops just in case.

Edited by martikus
  • Like 2

The only chips I’ve ever seen in the shops are Pringles. They do have a small selection of candy. I like to snack on nuts which I’ve never been able to find anywhere on the ships so I usually bring a bag of almonds and a can of peanuts with me.

• Like 3

As others have mentioned,  there are limited and expensive snacks in the gift shops. We always bring a few snacks (pre-packaged) with us for poolside or late night on our balcony. After a few days, the on-board snack options (cookies, pizza, etc.) are too indulgent for us and we just want our preferred granola bars, crackers, etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Some that say there is plenty to eat, ships are seriously lacking  healthy snacks, like nuts or trail mix. I usually bring a little of both.

I agree. I haven't been on Royal (yet -- 35 days to go!) so I'm speaking about our cruise experience generally, but there are not many free options for snacky type foods like potato chips or candy or whatever. The shops have a limited selection but the prices are just ridiculous. And late night food options are very limited, often pizza. Carnival does the worst tasting popcorn I've ever tasted during movie nights on the lido (and I like Carnival LOL).

I am a night owl and like to have some healthier late night snacks available in my cabin. So I always pack some trail mix, nuts, and protein bars. Or you could take something packable like individual portion packs of Goldfish or pretzels, something that won't be completely obliterated in a manhandled suitcase.

Edited by luckybecky
  • Like 1

The ship is loaded with food, but if you really need more food, yes, you can buy some stuff, but the rule of supply and demand happens in ships, no need to have a large supply of for purchase snacks when snacks are all over the ship for free.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Yes, at incredibly inflated prices.  You're better off buying the overpriced snacks in the airport!  😮 

Don’t buy your snacks at the airport. They’re probably more expensive than on the ship. 

Assuming you have time before the cruise, I’d buy your snacks at a grocery store or convenient mart near the dock or your hotel. 

We always bring snacks.   Sure, we could grab more food from the Cafe, or dining room, or Ben & Jerry, etc..  but, if you have a preference for a particular snack - bring it in your suitcase.  

For me, I usually pack Wine Gums & Chocolate coated sponge toffee - things I love, but don't buy very often except on vacation 🙂 

So, yup.. lots of food onboard, but just not the right kind for my sweet tooth. 😉 

One other thing you could do is pack a few ziploc bags. Grab a plate and load up with cheese, crackers, bread, fruit, cookies, anything else that looks good. Take it back to your room and store in your baggies to keep things fresh, and place in the fridge until you are ready to eat. That way you'll have something even if the buffet is closed.

22 hours ago, MichFish said:

Do the in board shops sell things like candy bars and bags of chips?

we will be on the Radiance if that matters.  

Thanks!

I take snacks with me.  The stores on the ships are super expensive.  I take Pretzels, Wheat Thins and the like, but that is what I like and they don't even have those in the ship stores

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luckybecky said:

One other thing you could do is pack a few ziploc bags. Grab a plate and load up with cheese, crackers, bread, fruit, cookies, anything else that looks good. Take it back to your room and store in your baggies to keep things fresh, and place in the fridge until you are ready to eat. That way you'll have something even if the buffet is closed.

Where do you find crackers?  

22 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Every ship I have been on with a Park Cafe has a endless supply of small bagged chips.  P C on Radiance is pretty small but still worth a try. 

Not always endless, and the variety leaves much to be desired.😉

19 hours ago, luckybecky said:

I agree. I haven't been on Royal (yet -- 35 days to go!) so I'm speaking about our cruise experience generally, but there are not many free options for snacky type foods like potato chips or candy or whatever. The shops have a limited selection but the prices are just ridiculous. And late night food options are very limited, often pizza. Carnival does the worst tasting popcorn I've ever tasted during movie nights on the lido (and I like Carnival LOL).

I am a night owl and like to have some healthier late night snacks available in my cabin. So I always pack some trail mix, nuts, and protein bars. Or you could take something packable like individual portion packs of Goldfish or pretzels, something that won't be completely obliterated in a manhandled suitcase.

You used to be able to find M&M's and gummi bears with the ice cream at WJ. Haven't seen that in a while