Move up bid unsuccessful

doskram

Made a couple of bids and after about 10 days one showed up as expired and the other as pending, after reading all the posts on here I was fairly

confident I was going to be successful on the pending one but got the email today saying both unsuccessful.

Oh well still going to enjoy cruise but thought I would post because I noticed this question is asked a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sorry you get the upgrade.  I think most, particularly to move to a Suite are unsuccessful.  We have done 5 cruises in the past 6 months and suites were sold out on all of them, making it likely that unless a last minute cancellation occurred no winning bids.

9 hours ago, doskram said:

Made a couple of bids and after about 10 days one showed up as expired and the other as pending, after reading all the posts on here I was fairly

confident I was going to be successful on the pending one but got the email today saying both unsuccessful.

Oh well still going to enjoy cruise but thought I would post because I noticed this question is asked a lot.

When is your cruise and which ship?

constellation 16th may

I originally booked inside and bid on ocean view and veranda after about 10 days the veranda showed expired and oceanview pending but I couldn't alter or cancel bid.

Then two days before cruise I got the email saying both unsuccessful.

No great loss I always book what i'm happy with and the upgrades would just be a bonus

• Thanks 1

Not an upgrade, but we were able to change our cabin to a different location in the same category, but needed to wait until the ship sailed from the port. We were told the cabin we moved to was a no show cabin. 

Edited by kathynorth

On 5/14/2022 at 4:29 PM, doskram said:

All my bids were expired except the SS, which is still pending. I was hoping that would be an indication that I would get it. But I guess that may not be the case.

On 5/14/2022 at 5:21 PM, jelayne said:

Sorry you get the upgrade.  I think most, particularly to move to a Suite are unsuccessful.  We have done 5 cruises in the past 6 months and suites were sold out on all of them, making it likely that unless a last minute cancellation occurred no winning bids.

On the website the cruise showed sold out for all suites. Then they took the cruise down. When I called they said they do this to clean up the bookings. She read off to me that so many suites were available. I think that they are blocked off but not actually sold, so maybe there is still hope for some.

You need to originally book the cabin or suite that you want , nice to do a move up to a better cabin/suite , was extremely happy with our move from sky to penthouse last July on edge , it was definitely costly but way less than listed price, I will continue booking suites and trying move up for better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

Has anyone been successful with asking for an upgrade when you board? There has to be some last minute cancelations right now.

On board upgrades are usually far and few between.  They are, BTW, not related to or are influenced by  the Move Up program and are facilitated directly by Guest Services.  If one is available in a category you desire, you will pay the difference between the last published price for that category and the actual fare you paid for your current category.

Thank you for posting your experience as most of us are under the impression the final pending often means to expect the upgrade.  So much for this theory.  Your post is helpful.

Edited by FlorenceItaly

...after reading all the posts on here I was fairly confident I was going to be successful on the pending one but got the email today saying both unsuccessful.

Depending on the number of bidders and actual staterooms available on that particular sailing, typically most bids are unsuccessful.  Yes, you will hear reports of getting the desired stateroom with the minimum bid, etc., but it is a bid process and the awards are made to the highest bidders first, and down from there until the availability is filled.  And availability is limited within each category so the "competition" between bids within a category can be tight.

As suggested, it sometimes is best just to determine a budget you are comfortable with for a given desired stateroom category and just book it to begin with.  

Edited by leaveitallbehind

5 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

On board upgrades are usually far and few between.  They are, BTW, not related to or are influenced by  the Move Up program and are facilitated directly by Guest Services.  If one is available in a category you desire, you will pay the difference between the last published price for that category and the actual fare you paid for your current category.

Thanks for that information.  With all this information about moveups, I would just go back to using the 1.50 hot dog store as my TA again. I didnt do it because they supposedly don't participate in the move up program, but having celebrity as our TA has been awful. Every time I call its at least one hour on the phone with them.

5 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Thank you for posting your experience as most of us are under the impression the final pending often means to expect the upgrade.  So much for this theory.  Your post is helpful.

Often and always are obviously not the same.  I would say the theory is still a good theory based on all the examples.  

On 5/14/2022 at 3:29 PM, doskram said:

How many days was it between the first time you saw the first expired bid and when you received your unsuccessful bid?  

3 hours ago, jagoffee said:

How many days was it between the first time you saw the first expired bid and when you received your unsuccessful bid?  

Mine have been expired for 5 days now, still one pending. But they are not allowing me to cancel or change, which made me think that it would be accepted because it says if not accepted, you could modify or cancel bid up to 72 hours before. We will see.

1 minute ago, maryannbon said:

Mine have been expired for 5 days now, still one pending. But they are not allowing me to cancel or change, which made me think that it would be accepted because it says if not accepted, you could modify or cancel bid up to 72 hours before. We will see.

Good luck.

4 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

Thanks for that information.  With all this information about moveups, I would just go back to using the 1.50 hot dog store as my TA again. I didnt do it because they supposedly don't participate in the move up program, but having celebrity as our TA has been awful. Every time I call its at least one hour on the phone with them.

There are many very good TA's other than the big box stores that could book and manage your reservation and prevent you from dealing with the hold times when you need to contact the cruise line.

On 5/15/2022 at 10:50 AM, catspaw1 said:

Has anyone been successful with asking for an upgrade when you board? There has to be some last minute cancelations right now.

I upgraded on board from IV to Aqua on Apex in January. My wife wanted a spa pass for $235 and it was cheaper just to upgrade the cabin into AQ ($200). At the time, they were offering a SS for $800 but we didn't need it, just wanted Thermal Suite access. We just walked up to customer service and made the request.

6 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

I upgraded on board from IV to Aqua on Apex in January. My wife wanted a spa pass for $235 and it was cheaper just to upgrade the cabin into AQ ($200). At the time, they were offering a SS for $800 but we didn't need it, just wanted Thermal Suite access. We just walked up to customer service and made the request.

That Apex was sailing with few passengers in January and full crew certainly helped.

Today with lower crew numbers and higher passenger counts upgrades will be difficult to get.