Explorer of the Seas Booze issue

Just departed on Explorer of the Seas and found out that none of the bars seem to have any bourbons on stock. The bartender I talked to said that they’ve been out for a while. I asked Guest Services about it and they said there was a possibility they got some in Miami today, but wasn’t sure. I also wanted to see if there was any sort of comp they could give given that Bourbon is my main drink of choice, they said I could cancel the alcohol package today or tomorrow for a partial refund. They refused any onboard credit.

2 minutes ago, gardenmwm said:

Just departed on Explorer of the Seas and found out that none of the bars seem to have any bourbons on stock. The bartender I talked to said that they’ve been out for a while. I asked Guest Services about it and they said there was a possibility they got some in Miami today, but wasn’t sure. I also wanted to see if there was any sort of comp they could give given that Bourbon is my main drink of choice, they said I could cancel the alcohol package today or tomorrow for a partial refund. They refused any onboard credit.

Same problems on Adventure, although Scotch and other beverages of choice for us. I would be surprised if they have NO bourbon but possibly not your brand of choice. In our case there were zero bottles of Scotch of any type after about day 4 of a 13- night sailing.

It has been steadily declining since January and certainly glad I didn’t pay for a drink package.

There is a huge liquor shortage in the USA due to "supply chain problems".    I heard one of the main problems is getting the glass bottles delivered to the distributors.  Some of those glass bottles also come from China, and that compounds the issue.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

There is a huge liquor shortage in the USA due to "supply chain problems".    I heard one of the main problems is getting the glass bottles delivered to the distributors.  Some of those glass bottles also come from China, and that compounds the issue.

Yes, both is true. Supply and Bottles

There may be a shortage of bottles but there is no shortage of Bourbon. If Royal wanted It they could find it.  Just send a truck over to any Total Wine they have a store full of it. For what they charge for drinks and the drink package they could pay a premium if necessary.  

• Like 5

Same on Oasis week before last. Jameson was almost everywhere. About day 3, Makers started to appear in some places. Only found Bulleit at Lime and Coconut. 

Oh wait, I found it all:

A73F3179-B028-4459-AA02-5F06B60D9F5A.jpeg

B8FA4D6F-478C-4B5B-80D7-262DD2AA8BF4.jpeg

Even if you bought it you couldn’t drink it. 

There was much less an issue on Celebrity Edge at the beginning of April. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Haha 1

Let's see...you pay for the DBP based on the advertised brands only to discover they are unavailable to drink, yet there it is sitting on the shelf, but you can't drink it on the ship?  That's a very clever form of price gouging with bait-and-switch thrown in to reinforce it. . 

• Like 1

Bottles are a massive issue at the moment, I own a gin distillery in the U.K. Trying to get bottles in a timely and priced manner is one of our biggest headaches.

Not good from RC as they have massive purchasing power!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

Same on Oasis week before last. Jameson was almost everywhere. About day 3, Makers started to appear in some places. Only found Bulleit at Lime and Coconut. 

Oh wait, I found it all:

A73F3179-B028-4459-AA02-5F06B60D9F5A.jpeg

B8FA4D6F-478C-4B5B-80D7-262DD2AA8BF4.jpeg

Even if you bought it you couldn’t drink it. 

There was much less an issue on Celebrity Edge at the beginning of April. 

mac_tlc

The retail stores are subject to different customs process.  Liquor consumed on board is accounted for differently thanks to customs rules.  They can't just grab a bottle from the retail store and start serving it board.   Completely messes up the tracking and accounting for CBP and other similar customs agencies in other countries and regions.

On 5/14/2022 at 9:52 PM, rudeney said:

Liquor stores in my area have plenty.  South of Atlanta, Peachtree City. 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

The retail stores are subject to different customs process.  Liquor consumed on board is accounted for differently thanks to customs rules.  They can't just grab a bottle from the retail store and start serving it board.   Completely messes up the tracking and accounting for CBP and other similar customs agencies in other countries and regions.

I know the drill. But its disingenuous to say there are "supply chain shortages" when the elephant in the room is a full liquor store. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Is every bottle bought onboard declared at customs?

On 5/14/2022 at 10:49 PM, smarcbie said:

And yet royal keeps raising the unlimited beverage package price while knowing there's a supply shortage...

They need to make up for the billions they bled because of the pandemic.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rudeney said:

Let's see...you pay for the DBP based on the advertised brands only to discover they are unavailable to drink, yet there it is sitting on the shelf, but you can't drink it on the ship?  That's a very clever form of price gouging with bait-and-switch thrown in to reinforce it. . 

Profits 101 according to RCI

• Like 1

So called deal on Gray Goose Vodka on Mariner in the liquor store was twice what I could buy it at both Walmart and Publix grocery in Florida.  

So much for the deals on the ship.....saves me from lugging the things off the ship.  😉 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Liquor stores in my area have plenty.  South of Atlanta, Peachtree City. 

Not here.  They aren't out of "everything" but they are always out of "something".  Due to our ridiculously high state-controlled liquor prices, I generally by the big bottles (1.75l) as the cheaper by the ounce, but they are becoming very hard to find.  Last week, they had ZERO Scotch in big bottles, and some brands were nyl available in 500ml bottles.  

24 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Not here.  They aren't out of "everything" but they are always out of "something".  Due to our ridiculously high state-controlled liquor prices, I generally by the big bottles (1.75l) as the cheaper by the ounce, but they are becoming very hard to find.  Last week, they had ZERO Scotch in big bottles, and some brands were nyl available in 500ml bottles.  

I have a friend in Alabama who when she visits, stocks up on her favorite spirit..she says the prices are much cheaper.  Florida is usually even cheaper than here.  

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

I have a friend in Alabama who when she visits, stocks up on her favorite spirit..she says the prices are much cheaper.  Florida is usually even cheaper than here.  

Florida is cheaper - I often stock up there when we go to the condo.   It's about a 45% discount off Alabama prices.