Runny noise gives 24 hours of isolation on Odyssey. Be warned.

52 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

You know the common cold is contagious too.  Why should my vacation get impacted because someone else was sick and chose to ignore it?

So why don't you snitch on your fellow passenger who you think have cold or covid symptoms and see what kind of atmosphere that creates onboard.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, cruise1957 said:

I have springtime allergies, I am so tired of saying no I don't have covid I have allergies!

I had some t-shirts made when this all started to careen out of control in early 2020.  This is what they look like.  I have worn them on cruises since then.  1839566506_ScreenShot2022-05-15at11_15_26AM.thumb.png.0d9d7dfa8d3e5492fc0d93d0b4cdd900.png

• Like 9
  • Haha 14

Can you imagine what would happen and what a nightmare it would be if every person on a cruise who took the advice of some on here that had a sinus issue, stuffy nose, runny nose, itchy throat ran to medical? The ship infirmary would be overwhelmed and it would turn into chaos. That's what some people apparently want on here because they feel it's best for everyone's safety. Give me a break ...... Stay home. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

A sore throat usually indicates an infection. Best not spread that to your fellow passenger. 

Nope, absolutely not true.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rtanders said:

We thought we would be extra cautious and ask for a Covid test. The wife had a runny nose and I had a mild sore throat. The medic came to our room and gave us a PCR test which took an hour to get the result phone call from the doctor. Even though we tested negative we we told to isolate for 24 hours. We were very disappointed to learn that being extra cautious cheats one out of a day of cruising.  

It was stupid to involve medical...... always a source for trouble!

Edited by cruiseboy89130
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cigar King said:

You know the common cold is contagious too.  Why should my vacation get impacted because someone else was sick and chose to ignore it?

Common colds were contagious pre-covid yet people were not quarantined to cabins for common cold symptoms.  Just a few years ago, people went to work with colds, to stores with colds, to restaurants with colds, on vacations with colds;  it was difficult to convince some people with colds NOT to visit loved ones in hospital or care facilities or in poor health.  

• Like 6

Bill Gates just recently speculated on CNN with Anderson Cooper that people over 60 or 70 will have to get ongoing vaccinations, perhaps every six months.

• If we're moving into a period of "ongoing vaccinations," will the cruising public tolerate COVID-19 shots every six months to stay eligible to cruise?
  • Will the cruise lines require updated proof of vaccination every six months or deny boarding?
  • Will the under-60 population also be required to show proof of vaccination every six months too?
  • Will cruise lines move towards a tiered vaccination protocol where 60+ requires renewing vaccination status every six months but the under-60 cruiser will not?
  • Will the cruise lines decide that shots every six months are no longer "vaccines" and drop the requirements altogether at that point?
  • Haha 4

48 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Common colds were contagious pre-covid yet people were not quarantined to cabins for common cold symptoms.  Just a few years ago, people went to work with colds, to stores with colds, to restaurants with colds, on vacations with colds;  it was difficult to convince some people with colds NOT to visit loved ones in hospital or care facilities or in poor health.  

People have been denied boarding for colds though haven't they? And not been refunded by cruise line or insurance.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Sorry but That's what you get for calling the doctor on board for a runny nose. I wouldn't have told them anything. If I tested negative to board and am vaccinated then I'm not telling anyone anything else on board that I have a runny nose. If the result is  being quarantined for a full day for nothing and testing negative  then that just solidifies my approach. If my leg falls off I may call them. 

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, did it really make a sound?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BND said:

There is no reason to make you isolate for 24 hours with a neg test.  They are overreacting.  The vast majority of people with runny noses or sore throats either have a  cold or allergies.

Just a thought, you think Royal acted like this because cases onboard the previous cruise were  real bad(meaning total was higher then normal) and they didn't want a repeat of  the last cruise. Better to keep this passenger quarantined until  this passenger is tested again.

• Like 1

Just now, Jimbo said:

Just a thought, you think Royal acted like this because cases onboard the previous cruise were  real bad(meaning total was higher then normal) and they didn't want a repeat of  the last cruise. Better to keep this passenger quarantined until  this passenger is tested again.

No, ever since the restart, anyone they test has to isolate for 24 hours with a negative test.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

People have been denied boarding for colds though haven't they? And not been refunded by cruise line or insurance.

Not for just a cold.  For symptoms that included a fever, it was possible even pre-covid.  Posts before Covid reported when answering the questions if you answered yes to any of them, they would do a secondary screening and occasionally denied, but not usually.  Now, it's a knee jerk reaction.

2 minutes ago, BND said:

No, ever since the restart, anyone they test has to isolate for 24 hours with a negative test.  

Interesting, this is the first time I ever read this is what they do with a negative test.

Don't think a lot of people know that. Test guarantee's 1 day of cruise missed no matter what the result is.

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Interesting, this is the first time I ever read this is what they do with a negative test.

Don't think a lot of people know that. Test guarantee's 1 day of cruise missed no matter what the result is.

Daughters done it twice since restart, last time was Easter. She tested, stayed in Cabin for 24hrs when they Tested her again. After the 2 Negatives she can return to normal Cruise Fun

• Like 3

I thought ALL PCR tests took 24 hours to get the results.

I am amazed they could do that in 1 hour !

I just had to take one to clear me for a surgery next week & had to wait the agonizing 24 hours for the results to make sure I would not get cancelled.

Some of us don't have the luxury of waiting till this is all behind us.    

Worked over 50 years, never had more than 2 weeks vacation a year.  Looked forward to retiring so I would have the opportunity to travel during the other 50 weeks.

Retired 2020!  had 4 cruises booked.  All got cancelled.  

For people like me,  my time is running out.  its now or never....

Don't like covid,  don't like all the rules,  but this the way it is today,  whether we like it or not.  

To each his own.  Live and let live...

thank you to the people that are kind and try to offer helpful suggestions. 

• Like 15

2 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Daughters done it twice since restart, last time was Easter. She tested, stayed in Cabin for 24hrs when they Tested her again. After the 2 Negatives she can return to normal Cruise Fun

Oh boy - sounds like what I've always wanted to do on my next cruise.

57 minutes ago, lkneller said:

Some of us don't have the luxury of waiting till this is all behind us.    

Worked over 50 years, never had more than 2 weeks vacation a year.  Looked forward to retiring so I would have the opportunity to travel during the other 50 weeks.

Retired 2020!  had 4 cruises booked.  All got cancelled.  

For people like me,  my time is running out.  its now or never....

Don't like covid,  don't like all the rules,  but this the way it is today,  whether we like it or not.  

To each his own.  Live and let live...

thank you to the people that are kind and try to offer helpful suggestions. 

I retired on Friday, March, 13th, 2020 - just when Covid was starting.  I fortunately took a cruise in Feb, 2020 and I'm so happy about that, but I had two other cruises booked in 2020 that were either canceled with a full refund or L&S.

I'll be 72 in July, but I'll be darned if I will be held hostage by what I consider to be unnecessary protocols in order to cruise.  Like it or not, I may not cruise again unless rules change.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, mek said:

I'll be 72 in July, but I'll be darned if I will be held hostage by what I consider to be unnecessary protocols in order to cruise.  Like it or not, I may not cruise again unless rules change.

Learned a long time ago that I don't make the rules, I just play the game.  As long as the rules to cruise are what they are, you're relegated to land based vacations.  There are many great all inclusives out there, particularly on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico.

Your other option of course is to cross over the line in the sand and get the jab so you would be able to cruise, but we both know you're too stubborn to do that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am just off a transatlantic. Everyone seemed pretty healthy until day seven when the coughing seemed to increase daily. You really can't blame it on seasonal allergies when you are at sea. I suspect a woman was trying to hide her symptoms when she refused the cabin attendant's services for a day or so. We saw security checking in on her. 

My advice is to stay only within your group. We ate each night and played card games with another couple who we met the first night. I noted that some within the cruise critic group tested positive. I usually am part of CC roll call groups and am glad I didn't hang with them this time (thanking them for their honesty in letting us know about Covid.)  I did a few things I wish I hadn't done line be a dance partner with a stranger. 

Many coming off that sailing in Southampton were symptomatic. The shuttles and tour buses were teeming with hackers in the French ports.

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I am just off a transatlantic. Everyone seemed pretty healthy until day seven when the coughing seemed to increase daily. You really can't blame it on seasonal allergies when you are at sea. I suspect a woman was trying to hide her symptoms when she refused the cabin attendant's services for a day or so. We saw security checking in on her. 

And, mine was a sinus infection and DH's was a cold.  Several others on our cruise also had the cold going around.  Other respiratory viruses are circulating right now big time since people are in larger groups again.  You can't blame every cough on Covid because it just isn't true.  We had a lot of people coughing, but we've had that on multiple cruises prior to covid also.  And, gee, no one was very sick.  Actually the sinus infection I had was a lot worse than the covid case my DS and DIL just had/have.  We had a couple of evacuations of passengers but it wasn't for Covid.  It was for emergencies like heart attacks.

Edited by BND
  • Like 5